Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Military

Notices

might be joining the marines

Old 06-29-2009, 07:27 AM   #1
ClemsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedClemsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedClemsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedClemsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedClemsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedClemsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedClemsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedClemsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedClemsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedClemsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedClemsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army: Army Guard 31B
Name: Cam
ClemsonTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
might be joining the marines

hey guys & gals,
im thinking about joining the marines when i get out of highschool , do yall think this would be good for me?
Old 06-29-2009, 07:29 AM   #2
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Yes.
Old 06-29-2009, 07:30 AM   #3
WoodsDweller
KraQr is one of the sharper tools in the shedKraQr is one of the sharper tools in the shedKraQr is one of the sharper tools in the shedKraQr is one of the sharper tools in the shedKraQr is one of the sharper tools in the shedKraQr is one of the sharper tools in the shedKraQr is one of the sharper tools in the shedKraQr is one of the sharper tools in the shedKraQr is one of the sharper tools in the shedKraQr is one of the sharper tools in the shedKraQr is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
Name: Dave
KraQr's Tacoma Gallery
Its a tough life but I think it will mature you quickly and possibly give you skills for a great job should you decide to get out after your first enlistment.

I intended to only sign up for 4 years but I had a awesome job, learned some great skills, got my degree while on active duty, got to see the world which I had no chance of before, and made some lifetime friends. I made a career out of it, got out, and now have a great job.

Good luck,
Old 06-29-2009, 07:32 AM   #4
ClemsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedClemsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedClemsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedClemsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedClemsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedClemsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedClemsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedClemsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedClemsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedClemsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedClemsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army: Army Guard 31B
Name: Cam
ClemsonTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
oh yeah i want to be either a police officer or fire fighter for a career
Old 06-29-2009, 08:35 AM   #5
Sooooooper Moderator
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: former TSgt/E6, 3D172, Cyber Transport, NC Air Guard and prior AD
Name: Jamie
jhodge83's Tacoma Gallery
military is definately a good thing. i signed up for 4 years, got out in 3, got my associates before i left, stayed civilian for 3 years, then got into the NC air guard. nothing i would change. i got education, training, and a skillset to use when i got out.
Old 06-29-2009, 03:59 PM   #6
Reagan/Bush '84
Colton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Dependant  (Father had 24 yrs on the Eisenhower, Ordinance Officer)
Name: Colton
Colton's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhodge83 View Post
military is definately a good thing. i signed up for 4 years, got out in 3, got my associates before i left, stayed civilian for 3 years, then got into the NC air guard. nothing i would change. i got education, training, and a skillset to use when i got out.
And a sweet truck to boot.
Old 06-29-2009, 04:04 PM   #7
DanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shed
DanGer's Tacoma Gallery
Yup, but remember to think things through completely. I know you are young (look at my age and that should mean something). I am in the same boat, I have debated and debated going into the military and seeked a lot of advice from TW members who have been where I am right now.

I have decided to wait until I finished college, then try for the job I want and if I don't get it then I will join the military as an officer. Just don't rush into anything because it is a long commitment that you are stuck with if you donot like it!
Old 06-29-2009, 04:07 PM   #8
Sooooooper Moderator
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colton View Post
And a sweet truck to boot.
haha...thx

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgerm View Post
Yup, but remember to think things through completely. I know you are young (look at my age and that should mean something). I am in the same boat, I have debated and debated going into the military and seeked a lot of advice from TW members who have been where I am right now.

I have decided to wait until I finished college, then try for the job I want and if I don't get it then I will join the military as an officer. Just don't rush into anything because it is a long commitment that you are stuck with if you donot like it!
x2. i've always heard that the AF has taken care of its people better than some of the other branches. not only that, but make sure that you sign for the specific job you want...go OPEN nothing. if they cant get you any job that you actually want, hold off until its available. dont jump into an open contract for them to stick you anywhere they want.
Old 06-29-2009, 04:10 PM   #9
DanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shed
DanGer's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
haha...thx

x2. i've always heard that the AF has taken care of its people better than some of the other branches. not only that, but make sure that you sign for the specific job you want...go OPEN nothing. if they cant get you any job that you actually want, hold off until its available. dont jump into an open contract for them to stick you anywhere they want.
Thats what I have heard. You might remember I want to do intelligence, and since the air force doesn't offer what I want, I decided to wait and maybe go marines, or straight into a 3 letter agency. My brother works in intelligence (straight out of grad school) and about half his co workers are ex air force.
Old 06-29-2009, 04:14 PM   #10
gjbonner is one of the sharper tools in the shedgjbonner is one of the sharper tools in the shedgjbonner is one of the sharper tools in the shedgjbonner is one of the sharper tools in the shedgjbonner is one of the sharper tools in the shedgjbonner is one of the sharper tools in the shedgjbonner is one of the sharper tools in the shedgjbonner is one of the sharper tools in the shedgjbonner is one of the sharper tools in the shedgjbonner is one of the sharper tools in the shedgjbonner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: LAR (Master Gunner/Instructor)
Name: Guy
gjbonner's Tacoma Gallery
Depends on what you want to go in for...
1 you feel its your calling?
2 just something youve always wanted to do?
3 set yourself up for life? as in get 4 to 8 years experience in something or even just money for school...
4 your family was in it?
5 make a career out of it?

It all depends on your reasons for going in. dont take it lightly and talk to a bunch of prior Marines(if you decide a different service then talk to guys in that service), not the disgruntled ones of course, this will help you to decide what MOS (military occupation specialty) to choose.

The Marine Corps or any service for that matter is good for anyone starting out in life. it gives you strucure and opens you eyes to the rest of the "world"(people and places). Always let someone from that service know what the recruiter is telling you. they will shed a lot of light on what he is trying to sell you.

Give a bit more info and we can help you out a bit more.
Old 06-29-2009, 04:15 PM   #11
Sooooooper Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgerm View Post
Thats what I have heard. You might remember I want to do intelligence, and since the air force doesn't offer what I want, I decided to wait and maybe go marines, or straight into a 3 letter agency. My brother works in intelligence (straight out of grad school) and about half his co workers are ex air force.

what do u want to do that AF intel doesnt? i worked network support in an intel facility at shaw afb and they had a TON of folks in all sorts of positions there
Old 06-29-2009, 04:18 PM   #12
09 but I drive a 012 Expedition...
tacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jeff...I'm pretty sure
tacoholic's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to tacoholic
I'm not against the military but not really for it either, if it's something you feel will help you then go for it! But if you're questioning it when you're there signing a few years to them then do not go for it.
Old 06-29-2009, 04:18 PM   #13
My other ride has 18,400HP!!!!!!
rmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy:
Name: Ryan
rmb_crew's Tacoma Gallery
i joined the navy right out of high school and it was the best decision i could have made. It has given me a lot and i love my job. I mean who doesnt like to fly around and stay in hotels all the time. Its a great experience. And if you do your 4 years and its not for you, you still leave with a lot of knowledge and tons of money for college. I think everyone should atleast try it. You never know till you experience it.
Old 06-29-2009, 04:18 PM   #14
UnderWater Monopoly Champion
TicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: F-15 Crew-Chief
Name: Anastatia Beaverhausen
TicTacOma's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to TicTacOma
...and please do it for yourself. Don't sign to impress someone. Don't do it to catch someone's eye. I did AF and I enjoyed it. Did my 4 years and at the end of that, it was the times of the workforce reductions. I had a few days to think about it and seeing that I wasn't gonna get anything other than Del Rio Texas (where I already was) I boogied out. I kick myself everyday thinking about the would of,could of,should of.

Take a trip to the local VA hospital or the VFW and chew the fat with a veteran. You'll get stories and opinions. It's not all John Wayne or Clint Eastwood.

Good luck, take your time.
Old 06-29-2009, 04:31 PM   #15
gjbonner is one of the sharper tools in the shedgjbonner is one of the sharper tools in the shedgjbonner is one of the sharper tools in the shedgjbonner is one of the sharper tools in the shedgjbonner is one of the sharper tools in the shedgjbonner is one of the sharper tools in the shedgjbonner is one of the sharper tools in the shedgjbonner is one of the sharper tools in the shedgjbonner is one of the sharper tools in the shedgjbonner is one of the sharper tools in the shedgjbonner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

as for the 4 years...jsut remeber this. you actually sign for 8 years. do 4 active an dthen you go home and can be recalled for the next 4 years. I walways told my friends to just stay in fro 4 more and do a non deployable B-billet and take a break for a while. maybe see a different side of the service to better decide your future. they didnt listen and got comfy for a year or so in thier civilian lives and then got recalled. just a little tip
Old 06-29-2009, 04:36 PM   #16
Sooooooper Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjbonner View Post
as for the 4 years...jsut remeber this. you actually sign for 8 years. do 4 active an dthen you go home and can be recalled for the next 4 years. I walways told my friends to just stay in fro 4 more and do a non deployable B-billet and take a break for a while. maybe see a different side of the service to better decide your future. they didnt listen and got comfy for a year or so in thier civilian lives and then got recalled. just a little tip

that's the good thing about AF. i took a 3 year break in service on IRR and didnt get called.
Old 06-29-2009, 04:37 PM   #17
REALLY!!
mrp192 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmrp192 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmrp192 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmrp192 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmrp192 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmrp192 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmrp192 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmrp192 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmrp192 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmrp192 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmrp192 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force: F-22 Crew Chief
Name: Brent
mrp192's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
damn civi
Old 06-29-2009, 04:38 PM   #18

Quote:
that's the good thing about AF. i took a 3 year break in service on IRR and didnt get called.
one more reason to research every service before you commit. see what they have to offer and remember that a signing bonus will be gone one day and you will still be in!
Old 06-29-2009, 04:39 PM   #19
Sooooooper Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrp192 View Post
damn civi

HEY HEY!!!! i'm still guard!! lol i like making better money than active, have my freedom, and yet still be affiliated to the military...dont hate...haha. still waiting to make GS as well
Old 06-29-2009, 04:41 PM   #20
David Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shed

David Tarantino's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemsonTacoma View Post
hey guys & gals,
im thinking about joining the marines when i get out of highschool , do yall think this would be good for me?
yes its worth it