1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

New GI bill

Discussion in 'Military' started by beastlytaco, Jul 6, 2009.

1. Jul 6, 2009 at 7:49 PM
    beastlytaco

beastlytaco [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ian
    Vehicle:
    08 Access Cab SR5
    has anyone heard about the new GI bill thats supposed to open on aug 1?

supposedly congress is making it so that the money granted for education varies from state to state

2. Jul 6, 2009 at 7:59 PM
    The_Hodge

The_Hodge Volunteer Moderator

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    15 Lariat Sport 5.0L
    Seeing the third gen section forced me to get a Ford...
    i heard that u get paid as an e-5 active pay and bah w/ dependents for wherever your college is located. i've still got about 2 years left on my active duty one before i get into this

3. Jul 6, 2009 at 8:01 PM
    beastlytaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Ian
    Vehicle:
    08 Access Cab SR5
    are you planning to go back to finish up your education?

4. Jul 6, 2009 at 8:04 PM
    The_Hodge

The_Hodge Volunteer Moderator

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    15 Lariat Sport 5.0L
    Seeing the third gen section forced me to get a Ford...
    i am currently using my AD one. i've got 2 years left of actual payment and i think i've got until 2014 to use it all before i lose it. but being guard, i've got 100% TA in NC as long as i go to a school here

5. Jul 6, 2009 at 8:10 PM
    beastlytaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Ian
    Vehicle:
    08 Access Cab SR5
    sounds like the guard is the way to go then

6. Jul 6, 2009 at 8:23 PM
    Hillbilly Zombi

Hillbilly Zombi Well-Known Member

Member:
    Wilmington, NC
    Vehicle:
    01 2.7L Tacoma 4x4
    B5100's all around + Fabtech full length aal + diff. drop. Eagle Alloy 15" wheels with 32" BFG AT's. Custom built skid plate, Rhino lined bed, Westin bars, Husky liners.
    Hey guys, I just recently applied for the new GI bill called the Montgomery GI Bill. I am suppossed to get paid BAH for an E-5 with dependents for the zipcode of my school not where I reside, which isnt too bad. Also, you dont have to deal with the school bills bc the new GI Bill eliminates the hastle. I just gave my VA school rep. a page from my application and they confirm it with the VA. Its a great new bill but beware that once you elect to change to the new bill you cannot go back meaning if your state already pays for vets education the old bill is the way to go because the VA pays you directly and you will probably get more $ that way. I have had a few briefs and fairly educated on this so if you got any questions hit me up.

7. Jul 7, 2009 at 4:12 AM
    cakmakli

cakmakli Finally made it - U.S. Army Retired

Member:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Sport
    It's called the Post 911 GI Bill and it's the cat's ass. Much better then VEAP which is what I have. I'm getting a refund of what I paid into VEAP and taking the new one.

The amount of money they pay for tuition depends on the state and how much active duty time you have since Sept 11, 2001. You must have had at least 90 days for the min. and 3 years for the max.

For the most current and accurate information go to the source - the VA.

LINK

8. Jul 7, 2009 at 4:43 AM
    PatHLC128

PatHLC128 College.

Member:
    First Name:
    Pat
    Austin, TX
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Off Road 4x4 AC
    OME complete 3" kit, 265/75/16 Cooper STTs, Pro Comp 7089 wheels, Shrockworks sliders, UWS Low Pro Toolbox, AFE Pro-Dry S, OEM Bedmat, Ventvisors, Husky Liners, Tint, De-badged
    im about to start school in the fall and im basically going to be getting paid to go. the VA is going to pay my schools tuition directly to them and then pay me and extra $2300 a month for living expenses (thats the going rate for an E-5 w/Dependents in the zipcode where my school is)- its the first time in my life im happy to live in an expensive area. on top of that supposedly ill be getting another $1000 per year for books/supplies.

9. Jul 7, 2009 at 4:55 AM
    cakmakli

Member:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Sport
    After 26 years in the Army and approaching retirement I didn't know what to do. With the new GI Bill I'm starting school in January. The living expense allowance will supplement my retirement and with it I can get by with a part time job until I finish school.

Because of it I'm actually looking forward to starting a new career.

10. Jul 7, 2009 at 5:05 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    Cak is right...This Post 9-11 GI bill IS the cats ass. It covers all service members (Which I dig cause Service academy brats like me weren't included in the old GI Bill), provides an obscene amount of money for a very short service engagement (Some money available after as short as 90 days...and but just 3 years you get 100%of the money you are alloted)

And everyone else has been right- You get BAH E-5 with deps, plus you tuition covered at the rate you qualify for in your area, and the 1000 a year for books and stuff. All not taxable.

It's also transferable to your dependents and seems VERY easy to utilize. You guys who are joining the program- Please come back and let us know how it's going!!

11. Jul 7, 2009 at 4:01 PM
    PatHLC128

PatHLC128 College.

Member:
    First Name:
    Pat
    Austin, TX
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Off Road 4x4 AC
    OME complete 3" kit, 265/75/16 Cooper STTs, Pro Comp 7089 wheels, Shrockworks sliders, UWS Low Pro Toolbox, AFE Pro-Dry S, OEM Bedmat, Ventvisors, Husky Liners, Tint, De-badged
    its not taxable? sweeeeeeeetttt!!!!!!!! i thought it was

12. Jul 7, 2009 at 4:03 PM
    ImpulseRed008

ImpulseRed008 Gone But Not Forgotten

Member:
    First Name:
    Susan
    SC
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner SR5 V6 w/tow pkg
    OEM SS tube steps, Access LE tonneau cover, pop n'lock, AVS in-channel vent visors, stubby antenna, Wet Okole seat covers, bed mat, rear diff breather mod, 4 extra d rings in bed, K&N air filter.
    It all depends on WHERE you want to go to school. If in CA you get $0... hang on, let me see if I can find the link....

13. Jul 7, 2009 at 4:11 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    Everything I had read indicates it is not "income" but reimbursement for expenses...and therefore not taxable.

That is interesting about CA...Can't wait to see the link...

14. Jul 7, 2009 at 4:21 PM
    PatHLC128

PatHLC128 College.

Member:
    First Name:
    Pat
    Austin, TX
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Off Road 4x4 AC
    you dont get any money in CA because there is no fee for residents to go to state school (as far as i know)...the GI bill will pay up to the most expensive state school you attend.

15. Jul 7, 2009 at 4:31 PM
    cakmakli

Member:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Sport
    According to the VA Website, CA is listed as $0 per credit hour. LINK

The reason given is that is was, "Previously posted as $254.00 per credit hour - changed to $0.00 on April 17, 2009. Verification provided that California public colleges and universities do not charge resident undergraduate tuition."

Does anyone know if that is true? Is undergraduate tuition free in California for state residents and does that include members of the military stationed in CA but have a HOR somewhere else?

16. Jul 7, 2009 at 4:45 PM
    ImpulseRed008

ImpulseRed008 Gone But Not Forgotten

Member:
    First Name:
    Susan
    SC
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner SR5 V6 w/tow pkg
    OEM SS tube steps, Access LE tonneau cover, pop n'lock, AVS in-channel vent visors, stubby antenna, Wet Okole seat covers, bed mat, rear diff breather mod, 4 extra d rings in bed, K&N air filter.
    I can't find the link... think it was on yahoo news yesterday..... But the $0 in Cali is what I read.

17. Jul 8, 2009 at 6:50 PM
    4x4Runner

4x4Runner Sam’s gone, man. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Drunken Sailor
    Not north, not south, not west, mostly east
    Vehicle:
    1WD
    nuttin fancy
    What rocks is you can pass it on to dependents.

Looks like Junior's going to school on Uncle Sam's dime!

18. Jul 8, 2009 at 6:53 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    +1...I'm hoping mine will be smart enuf to make his own way...but it's great to have the back-up...

19. Jul 8, 2009 at 7:09 PM
    Ghost96Romeo

Ghost96Romeo What is the Search Tab for????

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD Off-Road D-Cab
    3" Pro-Comp Suspension Lift AAL Rear w/TSB, All-Pro Plate Bumper, Lightforce 240 Blitz lights, Lund Genesis Roll-top Bed cover, K&N Filters, Spidertrax Wheel spacers, Built-by-Me Rock Sliders, Jeep Tow-Hook, Black Leather seats, 48"Hi-Lift Jack mounted in the bed, Blacked out TRD Rims, BHLM, FLM..... and Awesomeness
    I'm signed up for it. Transfering the reamaining amount of my Mont.GI Bill to it.

Go TEXAS!!!!
    Texas $1,333.00 $12,130.00

20. Aug 2, 2009 at 2:37 PM
    AFButters

AFButters Rigger, Please!!

Member:
    First Name:
    "Butters"
    Albuquerque, NM
    Vehicle:
    2008 335xi BMW
    I cant wait to use this to pay for Lil John and other future Child(ren) to go to college

Products Discussed in

To Top