Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Military

Notices

New GI bill

Old 07-06-2009, 07:49 PM   #1
This is TW. One never knows what is a joke anymore
beastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ian
beastlytaco's Tacoma Gallery
New GI bill

has anyone heard about the new GI bill thats supposed to open on aug 1?

supposedly congress is making it so that the money granted for education varies from state to state
Old 07-06-2009, 07:59 PM   #2
Sooooooper Moderator
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: former TSgt/E6, 3D172, Cyber Transport, NC Air Guard and prior AD
Name: Jamie
jhodge83's Tacoma Gallery
i heard that u get paid as an e-5 active pay and bah w/ dependents for wherever your college is located. i've still got about 2 years left on my active duty one before i get into this
Old 07-06-2009, 08:01 PM   #3
beastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

are you planning to go back to finish up your education?
Old 07-06-2009, 08:04 PM   #4
Sooooooper Moderator
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: former TSgt/E6, 3D172, Cyber Transport, NC Air Guard and prior AD
Name: Jamie
jhodge83's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by beastlytaco View Post
are you planning to go back to finish up your education?
i am currently using my AD one. i've got 2 years left of actual payment and i think i've got until 2014 to use it all before i lose it. but being guard, i've got 100% TA in NC as long as i go to a school here
Old 07-06-2009, 08:10 PM   #5

sounds like the guard is the way to go then
Old 07-06-2009, 08:23 PM   #6
Hillbilly Zombi is a glorious beacon of lightHillbilly Zombi is a glorious beacon of lightHillbilly Zombi is a glorious beacon of lightHillbilly Zombi is a glorious beacon of lightHillbilly Zombi is a glorious beacon of light

Hillbilly Zombi's Tacoma Gallery
Hey guys, I just recently applied for the new GI bill called the Montgomery GI Bill. I am suppossed to get paid BAH for an E-5 with dependents for the zipcode of my school not where I reside, which isnt too bad. Also, you dont have to deal with the school bills bc the new GI Bill eliminates the hastle. I just gave my VA school rep. a page from my application and they confirm it with the VA. Its a great new bill but beware that once you elect to change to the new bill you cannot go back meaning if your state already pays for vets education the old bill is the way to go because the VA pays you directly and you will probably get more $ that way. I have had a few briefs and fairly educated on this so if you got any questions hit me up.
Old 07-07-2009, 04:12 AM   #7
Finally made it - U.S. Army Retired
cakmakli is one of the sharper tools in the shedcakmakli is one of the sharper tools in the shedcakmakli is one of the sharper tools in the shedcakmakli is one of the sharper tools in the shedcakmakli is one of the sharper tools in the shedcakmakli is one of the sharper tools in the shedcakmakli is one of the sharper tools in the shedcakmakli is one of the sharper tools in the shedcakmakli is one of the sharper tools in the shedcakmakli is one of the sharper tools in the shedcakmakli is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Military Police
cakmakli's Tacoma Gallery
It's called the Post 911 GI Bill and it's the cat's ass. Much better then VEAP which is what I have. I'm getting a refund of what I paid into VEAP and taking the new one.

The amount of money they pay for tuition depends on the state and how much active duty time you have since Sept 11, 2001. You must have had at least 90 days for the min. and 3 years for the max.

For the most current and accurate information go to the source - the VA.

LINK
Old 07-07-2009, 04:43 AM   #8
College.
PatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: Sgt/6153 - CH-53E Airframe/Hydraulics Mechanic, HMH-464, MAG 29, 2nd MAW
Name: Pat
PatHLC128's Tacoma Gallery
im about to start school in the fall and im basically going to be getting paid to go. the VA is going to pay my schools tuition directly to them and then pay me and extra $2300 a month for living expenses (thats the going rate for an E-5 w/Dependents in the zipcode where my school is)- its the first time in my life im happy to live in an expensive area. on top of that supposedly ill be getting another $1000 per year for books/supplies.
Old 07-07-2009, 04:55 AM   #9
cakmakli is one of the sharper tools in the shedcakmakli is one of the sharper tools in the shedcakmakli is one of the sharper tools in the shedcakmakli is one of the sharper tools in the shedcakmakli is one of the sharper tools in the shedcakmakli is one of the sharper tools in the shedcakmakli is one of the sharper tools in the shedcakmakli is one of the sharper tools in the shedcakmakli is one of the sharper tools in the shedcakmakli is one of the sharper tools in the shedcakmakli is one of the sharper tools in the shed

After 26 years in the Army and approaching retirement I didn't know what to do. With the new GI Bill I'm starting school in January. The living expense allowance will supplement my retirement and with it I can get by with a part time job until I finish school.

Because of it I'm actually looking forward to starting a new career.
Old 07-07-2009, 05:05 AM   #10
abides.
Brunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: LT- CG MH-65C/D Driver- CGAS NOLA
Name: Mark
Brunes's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Brunes
Cak is right...This Post 9-11 GI bill IS the cats ass. It covers all service members (Which I dig cause Service academy brats like me weren't included in the old GI Bill), provides an obscene amount of money for a very short service engagement (Some money available after as short as 90 days...and but just 3 years you get 100%of the money you are alloted)

And everyone else has been right- You get BAH E-5 with deps, plus you tuition covered at the rate you qualify for in your area, and the 1000 a year for books and stuff. All not taxable.

It's also transferable to your dependents and seems VERY easy to utilize. You guys who are joining the program- Please come back and let us know how it's going!!
Old 07-07-2009, 04:01 PM   #11
College.
PatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: Sgt/6153 - CH-53E Airframe/Hydraulics Mechanic, HMH-464, MAG 29, 2nd MAW
its not taxable? sweeeeeeeetttt!!!!!!!! i thought it was
Old 07-07-2009, 04:03 PM   #12
Gone But Not Forgotten
ImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
Name: Susan
ImpulseRed008's Tacoma Gallery
It all depends on WHERE you want to go to school. If in CA you get $0... hang on, let me see if I can find the link....
Old 07-07-2009, 04:21 PM   #14
College.

you dont get any money in CA because there is no fee for residents to go to state school (as far as i know)...the GI bill will pay up to the most expensive state school you attend.
Old 07-07-2009, 04:31 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImpulseRed008 View Post
It all depends on WHERE you want to go to school. If in CA you get $0... hang on, let me see if I can find the link....
According to the VA Website, CA is listed as $0 per credit hour. LINK

The reason given is that is was, "Previously posted as $254.00 per credit hour - changed to $0.00 on April 17, 2009. Verification provided that California public colleges and universities do not charge resident undergraduate tuition."

Does anyone know if that is true? Is undergraduate tuition free in California for state residents and does that include members of the military stationed in CA but have a HOR somewhere else?
Old 07-07-2009, 04:45 PM   #16
Gone But Not Forgotten
ImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
Name: Susan
ImpulseRed008's Tacoma Gallery
I can't find the link... think it was on yahoo news yesterday..... But the $0 in Cali is what I read.
Old 07-08-2009, 06:50 PM   #17
The TW 1%
ForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Coast Guard: Chief Petty Officer, ITC
Name: Drunken Sailor
ForeRunner's Tacoma Gallery
What rocks is you can pass it on to dependents.

Looks like Junior's going to school on Uncle Sam's dime!
Old 07-08-2009, 07:09 PM   #19
What is the Search Tab for????
Ghost96Romeo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGhost96Romeo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGhost96Romeo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGhost96Romeo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGhost96Romeo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGhost96Romeo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGhost96Romeo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGhost96Romeo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGhost96Romeo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGhost96Romeo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGhost96Romeo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 96 Romeos, 1st Infantry Division, 101st MI, Deployed to OIF2
Ghost96Romeo's Tacoma Gallery
I'm signed up for it. Transfering the reamaining amount of my Mont.GI Bill to it.

Go TEXAS!!!!
Texas $1,333.00 $12,130.00
Old 08-02-2009, 02:37 PM   #20
Sticks For Troops
AFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: (2T2X1)Air Force Rigger
Name: "Butters"
AFButters's Tacoma Gallery
I cant wait to use this to pay for Lil John and other future Child(ren) to go to college