Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Military

Notices

Opinions

Old 07-12-2009, 01:04 AM   #1
Anthony999 is a jewel in the roughAnthony999 is a jewel in the roughAnthony999 is a jewel in the roughAnthony999 is a jewel in the rough

Anthony999's Tacoma Gallery
Opinions

So Im starting my first semester of college next semester, and I have also been thinking about the armed forces for awhile. But that wouldnt be until after I got my degree.

If and when the time comes, which branch would be the best to join?

My best friend is going to maybe enlist next week so im going to go with him and check it out. His brother recently finished Maine boot camp, but the Marines just isnt for me. And having friends come back from the Army, neither is Army.
Old 07-12-2009, 02:55 AM   #3
Finally made it - U.S. Army Retired
cakmakli is one of the sharper tools in the shedcakmakli is one of the sharper tools in the shedcakmakli is one of the sharper tools in the shedcakmakli is one of the sharper tools in the shedcakmakli is one of the sharper tools in the shedcakmakli is one of the sharper tools in the shedcakmakli is one of the sharper tools in the shedcakmakli is one of the sharper tools in the shedcakmakli is one of the sharper tools in the shedcakmakli is one of the sharper tools in the shedcakmakli is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Military Police
cakmakli's Tacoma Gallery
Like imsikotic said, stay in school and go check out the ROTC program. Not only do you go in as an officer but an ROTC scholarship will pay for your school.

You can find information about ROTC online
Old 07-12-2009, 03:51 AM   #4
kmann6905 is on a distinguished road
Air Force: NORAD
kmann6905's Tacoma Gallery
I chose the Air Force like my father did and never regretted it. On the other hand, my father had recommended the Coast Guard to me, and that is an excellent choice as well. In either case, finish you schooling first!
Old 07-12-2009, 10:02 AM   #6
The "Search" tab is your friend!!
steviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force:
Name: Steve
steviestyles's Tacoma Gallery
Since you've ruled out the Army and Marine's that leaves you with just the Caost Guard, Air Force and Navy......I would say if serving on a ship is cool, then you have 2 choices, and if not, then the AF would be the way to go...You have to decide what you want to do in the military before picking which service to go into....
Old 07-12-2009, 10:05 AM   #7
abides.
Brunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: LT- CG MH-65C/D Driver- CGAS NOLA
Name: Mark
Brunes's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Brunes
Don't short sell the Coast Guard only being about ships....There are about 42,000 people in the- about 10000 of those are involved in Aviation, Lots more do law enforcement or shore side search and rescue.

There are lots of options. Finishing school is the best way to open the most of them.

If you've got specific questions about the Coast Guard- Feel free to PM me.
Old 07-12-2009, 05:19 PM   #8
Bah Humshit!
brian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: Work and Fly on the Four Fans of Freedom
brian's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to brian
+ another one for CG.

I work and fly on Falcon 20's here. Been in the newspaper a few times for cases, tv articles, etc. Can't beat the comaraderie either. Brunes took the high route, and in a few months I'll probably have to be taking orders from him as he tries to shoot an approach with a 75knot tailwind while towers calling 3kts down the pipe while his ICS goes dead.... Oh I love Cape Cod, never a dull flying moment
Old 07-12-2009, 05:51 PM   #9
abides.
Brunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Brunes's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by briangp View Post
+ another one for CG.

I work and fly on Falcon 20's here. Been in the newspaper a few times for cases, tv articles, etc. Can't be the comaraderie either. Brunes took the high route, and in a few months I'll probably have to be taking orders from him as he tries to shoot an approach with a 75knot tailwind while towers calling 3kts down the pipe while his ICS goes dead.... Oh I love Cape Cod, never a dull flying moment
Fuck that noise- There will be no ordering anything- Just good solid CG CRM.

and there will be no shooting high wind approaches either. Not if this Helo bubba can avoid it!! Shoot a few VFR for training...that's about it...LOL.

Kidding- I'm qualified for it- I'll do it if need be. New Orleans is my next stop I think...so hopefully I can avoid the bad winds!!
Old 07-12-2009, 06:04 PM   #10
Bah Humshit!
brian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: Work and Fly on the Four Fans of Freedom
brian's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to brian
True that, thank god for CRM. That's a true story though, on an LT's checkride haha, we didn't break out till about 200 feet, and the CP/IP was 'unconscious and presumed dead'. VERY hairy, that man has all my respect today though. Very good pilot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunes View Post
Fuck that noise- There will be no ordering anything- Just good solid CG CRM.

and there will be no shooting high wind approaches either. Not if this Helo bubba can avoid it!! Shoot a few VFR for training...that's about it...LOL.

Kidding- I'm qualified for it- I'll do it if need be. New Orleans is my next stop I think...so hopefully I can avoid the bad winds!!
Old 07-13-2009, 05:15 PM   #11
Anthony999 is a jewel in the roughAnthony999 is a jewel in the roughAnthony999 is a jewel in the roughAnthony999 is a jewel in the rough

Anthony999's Tacoma Gallery
Getting my degree is my first priority over anything, so im staying in school for sure.

Im going to be getting a degree in Architecture or engineering. Right now my major is Architecture, but who knows, it could change.
Old 07-13-2009, 05:40 PM   #12
abides.

Brunes's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony999 View Post
Getting my degree is my first priority over anything, so im staying in school for sure.

Im going to be getting a degree in Architecture or engineering. Right now my major is Architecture, but who knows, it could change.
This doesn't ring true for everyone- But major doesn't matter much for the first few years unless you sign specifically for it. I'm a electrical engineer by major- and haven't touched a thing to do with engineering since before graduation.