Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Military

Notices

Military drinking age???

View Poll Results: Should Military be allowed to drink at 18?
Hell yeah! 132 68.75%
Nope! 60 31.25%
Voters: 192. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-25-2009, 01:31 AM   #21
white+Peal has a spectacular aura aboutwhite+Peal has a spectacular aura about

Name: Kris
white+Peal's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to white+Peal
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmcq View Post
If you are old enough to defend our beloved country than you are old enough to have a drink
x4
Old 07-25-2009, 02:38 AM   #22
If u cant stand behind our troops. Stand in front
imsikotic is one of the sharper tools in the shedimsikotic is one of the sharper tools in the shedimsikotic is one of the sharper tools in the shedimsikotic is one of the sharper tools in the shedimsikotic is one of the sharper tools in the shedimsikotic is one of the sharper tools in the shedimsikotic is one of the sharper tools in the shedimsikotic is one of the sharper tools in the shedimsikotic is one of the sharper tools in the shedimsikotic is one of the sharper tools in the shedimsikotic is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: VMFA-314 F/A-18 Fighter Jet Plane Captain and Mech.
Name: Randy
imsikotic's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
If you are old enough to Sacrifice Yourself and Die for our beloved country than you are old enough to have a drink
I agree with this but with a small edit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSchwartz View Post
As a active military member i think that the age should be 18 with restrictions. Such as only on base and no hard Alcohol.
I definately agree with this. I've seen alot of dumb asses in almost all branches drunk and stupid. But it is not just the Military though. Civilians tend to do the same shit, but for some reason when they get drunk they like to prove how tough they are (not) to the Marines and get mopped up. And these are people that are legal to drink.
Old 07-25-2009, 03:22 AM   #23
dennyct@hotmail.com will become famous soon enough
Navy: Naval Security Group
dennyct@hotmail.com's Tacoma Gallery
Drinking Age On Base

Anyone in the military, no matter the age, should be allowed to drink in the clubs on base. Off base, it should depend on the laws of the location.
Old 07-25-2009, 03:38 AM   #24
abides.
Brunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: LT- CG MH-65C/D Driver- CGAS NOLA
Name: Mark
Brunes's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Brunes
Quote:
Originally Posted by trd09 View Post
i'll take the other side with this one.

you said that those who defend our country are mature enough to fight and therefore mature enough to drink.

so you're saying that choosing to not join the armed makes one less mature? is fighting for one's country the only yardstick used to judge maturity?

defending one's country does not resonate with the ability to make better decisions while drinking.

it sounds like discrimination to me.
If you are going to cry discrimination over that- Get ready for a very discriminated life. Cause all sorts of other people are going to get to do things you won't because of what they chose for a job or hobby or whatever.

That being said- The drinking age should be lowered to at least 18.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtz85350 View Post
The reason they make it 21 is bcuz ur brain is still growin/developing and doesnt stop till 21. I recieved a minor consumtion ticket when i was 19 and the judge made me read an article outloud in the courtroom to him and the main point to it was that alcohol can damage it's growth/development.I dont think its a maturity issue bcuz people over 21 are still getting DUIs and if ur drivin drunk i doubt that shows ur mature.
I call bullshit- If it was THAT bad for you...none of the European countries that allow children to drink from age 14 would do so. Mass consumption like most college age folks indulge in (because they never learned to drink responsibly) is damaging both socio-economically and physically...but a drink now and then is not that bad.
Old 07-25-2009, 04:23 AM   #25
Mayor of TW
Delmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Vet
Name: Mike
Delmarva's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Yes, but unfortunately the culture in America has not fostered the necessary respect for alcohol in younger people that exists in other cultures. Our underage people view it as a taboo and use it as a rebellious tool against those who tell them they cannot do it. Therefore there will be some abuse of alcohol by them. Other countries are less uptight, their kids are brought up around it, having a glass of wine at 14. by the time that they can drink outside the home it is no big deal.
x2... John is wicked smart...

When I was 18 in the Army I said the same thing... we should drink because we serve...

Now I'm 29 and I just don't care
Old 07-25-2009, 04:39 AM   #26
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dennyct@hotmail.com View Post
Anyone in the military, no matter the age, should be allowed to drink in the clubs on base. Off base, it should depend on the laws of the location.
Exactly!!
Old 07-25-2009, 05:34 AM   #27
Sticks For Troops
AFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: (T2T2X1)Air Transportation Technical Training Instructor
Name: "Butters"
AFButters's Tacoma Gallery
the military can Drink at 18.. just get stationed overseas!!
Old 07-25-2009, 05:48 AM   #28
Mayor of TW
Delmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by 09AFTacoma View Post
the military can Drink at 18.. just get stationed overseas!!
Not entirely true...

The drinking age in South Korea is 18. The drinking age on base is 21. If you are caught outside the gate, underage and drinking, you will have problems.
Old 07-25-2009, 06:08 AM   #29
JDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
JDMcQ's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delmarva View Post
x2... John is wicked smart...

When I was 18 in the Army I said the same thing... we should drink because we serve...

Now I'm 29 and I just don't care
I was also drinking when i wrote that.
Old 07-25-2009, 06:12 AM   #30
dennyct@hotmail.com will become famous soon enough
Navy: Naval Security Group
dennyct@hotmail.com's Tacoma Gallery
what's next?

Next the military will not sell carton's of Marlboro to 18 year old's overseas for the fear that they will tote it downtown to "buy a party".
Old 07-25-2009, 06:21 AM   #31
AFTaco will become famous soon enough
Air Force: 2W0
Name: Doug
AFTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by trd09 View Post
i'll take the other side with this one.

you said that those who defend our country are mature enough to fight and therefore mature enough to drink.

so you're saying that choosing to not join the armed makes one less mature? is fighting for one's country the only yardstick used to judge maturity?

defending one's country does not resonate with the ability to make better decisions while drinking.

it sounds like discrimination to me.
Quit your whining! You are not just fighting for your country, you signed a contract willing to give up your own life if you have to. So YES, by willing to give up your life to defend your country, F**K yea you deserve a drink!
Old 07-25-2009, 06:24 AM   #32
AFTaco will become famous soon enough
Air Force: 2W0
Name: Doug
AFTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Not entirely true...

The drinking age in South Korea is 18. The drinking age on base is 21. If you are caught outside the gate, underage and drinking, you will have problems.

Well for the AF, its 19 in Korea. I know because I got busted. It just depends on the host nations rules. On base is the same off base for us.
Old 07-25-2009, 07:58 AM   #33
Mayor of TW

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFTaco View Post
Well for the AF, its 19 in Korea. I know because I got busted. It just depends on the host nations rules. On base is the same off base for us.
wow... who'da thunk the air force wold let that happen...
Old 07-25-2009, 08:08 AM   #34
Rangerpeterson has a brilliant futureRangerpeterson has a brilliant futureRangerpeterson has a brilliant futureRangerpeterson has a brilliant futureRangerpeterson has a brilliant futureRangerpeterson has a brilliant futureRangerpeterson has a brilliant futureRangerpeterson has a brilliant futureRangerpeterson has a brilliant futureRangerpeterson has a brilliant futureRangerpeterson has a brilliant future

Army: 75th Ranger Regiment
Rangerpeterson's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I was also drinking when i wrote that.
Funny stuff....
Old 07-25-2009, 08:29 AM   #35
Resident Gun-toting Hippie
luni is one of the sharper tools in the shedluni is one of the sharper tools in the shedluni is one of the sharper tools in the shedluni is one of the sharper tools in the shedluni is one of the sharper tools in the shedluni is one of the sharper tools in the shedluni is one of the sharper tools in the shedluni is one of the sharper tools in the shedluni is one of the sharper tools in the shedluni is one of the sharper tools in the shedluni is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Combat Medic
Name: Burt's Mustache
luni's Tacoma Gallery
Ft Bliss lowered the on post drinking age to 18 since you could spit to Mexico from the barracks window. It kept younger soldiers from hopping the border just to legally get a drink.

Of course Mexico is black listed now sooooooo.

For years my military ID got me into bars when I went back home. Finally on my 21st B-day we went out and a couple hours into the night one of my friends actually said "what are we celebrating?!"

Now that I'm 22 and the shine is off the apple I'm meh on the subject but I remember hearing bartenders and bouncers say "If you can serve you can drink!" made me very happy.
Old 07-25-2009, 08:49 AM   #36
Sticks For Troops
AFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: (T2T2X1)Air Transportation Technical Training Instructor
Name: "Butters"
AFButters's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Not entirely true...

If you go to Korea I feel sorry for you.. F that place right in the A... I would never go to Korea.. I would rather turn down orders and be denyed re-enlistment than go there... ( and that has nothign to do with drinking age)
Old 07-25-2009, 09:33 AM   #37
Mayor of TW

Quote:
Originally Posted by 09AFTacoma View Post
If you go to Korea I feel sorry for you.. F that place right in the A... I would never go to Korea.. I would rather turn down orders and be denyed re-enlistment than go there... ( and that has nothign to do with drinking age)
that's probably the most ignorant backwards fuck thing to say...

How do you justify your comments? Been there? Lived there?

it is true... you are a douche... a dumbshit... fuckstick... piece of crap... and as you so directly told tigerfan - "Go Fuck Yourself."
Old 07-25-2009, 09:45 AM   #38
Resident Gun-toting Hippie
luni is one of the sharper tools in the shedluni is one of the sharper tools in the shedluni is one of the sharper tools in the shedluni is one of the sharper tools in the shedluni is one of the sharper tools in the shedluni is one of the sharper tools in the shedluni is one of the sharper tools in the shedluni is one of the sharper tools in the shedluni is one of the sharper tools in the shedluni is one of the sharper tools in the shedluni is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Combat Medic
Name: Burt's Mustache
luni's Tacoma Gallery
I would rather deploy than go to Korea. "Hardship" tours there are left overs of a 50 year old war and international posturing. It's not like the units there deploy so there's no reason to really combat train. Everyone just drinks and tries not to get in trouble. Every soldier I've run into that had Korea for their first duty station has come back broken to some degree.

I've never been to Korea but I've seen what results from being stationed in Korea and fuck that noise. Get me a flight to FOB Shithole, APO AE before I ever see a sheet of paper that says Korea.
Old 07-25-2009, 06:05 PM   #39
NetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

NetMonkey's Tacoma Gallery
i you are willing to die for your country, you should be allowed to drink a beer.
Old 07-25-2009, 06:06 PM   #40
Mayor of TW

Quote:
Originally Posted by luni View Post
I would rather deploy than go to Korea. "Hardship" tours there are left overs of a 50 year old war and international posturing. It's not like the units there deploy so there's no reason to really combat train. Everyone just drinks and tries not to get in trouble. Every soldier I've run into that had Korea for their first duty station has come back broken to some degree.

I've never been to Korea but I've seen what results from being stationed in Korea and fuck that noise. Get me a flight to FOB Shithole, APO AE before I ever see a sheet of paper that says Korea.
so you wouldn't go to Korea because it isn't hardcore enough for ya?