Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Military

Notices

Military drinking age???

View Poll Results: Should Military be allowed to drink at 18?
Hell yeah! 132 68.75%
Nope! 60 31.25%
Voters: 192. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-25-2009, 07:09 PM   #41
jesse2035 is on a distinguished road

Air Force: SSgt
jesse2035's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSchwartz View Post
As a active military member i think that the age should be 18 with restrictions. Such as only on base and no hard Alcohol.
I also agree. I am also active duty military. I think you should be able to drink, but only on base and with restrictions. Maybe a ration card with a max of 3 beers a day.
Old 07-25-2009, 08:37 PM   #42
dhurley is one of the sharper tools in the sheddhurley is one of the sharper tools in the sheddhurley is one of the sharper tools in the sheddhurley is one of the sharper tools in the sheddhurley is one of the sharper tools in the sheddhurley is one of the sharper tools in the sheddhurley is one of the sharper tools in the sheddhurley is one of the sharper tools in the sheddhurley is one of the sharper tools in the sheddhurley is one of the sharper tools in the sheddhurley is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Retired 20 years: Field Artillery, Communications & Range NCO
Name: Doug
dhurley's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dennyct@hotmail.com View Post
Anyone in the military, no matter the age, should be allowed to drink in the clubs on base. Off base, it should depend on the laws of the location.
I agree.
Old 07-25-2009, 11:39 PM   #43
Slypted is a jewel in the roughSlypted is a jewel in the roughSlypted is a jewel in the rough

Air Force:
Name: Frank
Slypted's Tacoma Gallery
I think it should be 18 for military with restrictions. My reason has nothing to do with maturity level. It is simply the fact that you are laying your life on the line for your country and to die without ever having a drink would just be wrong.

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day." -Dean Martin
Old 07-26-2009, 01:10 AM   #44
AFTaco will become famous soon enough
Air Force: 2W0
Name: Doug
AFTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delmarva View Post
that's probably the most ignorant backwards fuck thing to say...

How do you justify your comments? Been there? Lived there?

it is true... you are a douche... a dumbshit... fuckstick... piece of crap... and as you so directly told tigerfan - "Go Fuck Yourself."

Haha, well some people really hate it there. Been there for a yr and loved it. Only thing I didnt love was being away from my family. All u do is drink, exercise (by that I mean play chem attack), drink, and drink some more. I've seen marriages of 20+yrs end in divorce. I had 1 buddy who just got back from a midtour with his wife and 2 kids in Hawaii. He had the time of his life. 1 month after he got back, his best friend was living with his wife and kids in his home. his kids started to call his buddy "daddy". He was married for 15yrs. Korea will make or break a marriage. Thats why some people really hate it there.
Old 07-26-2009, 08:07 AM   #45
Resident Gun-toting Hippie
luni is one of the sharper tools in the shedluni is one of the sharper tools in the shedluni is one of the sharper tools in the shedluni is one of the sharper tools in the shedluni is one of the sharper tools in the shedluni is one of the sharper tools in the shedluni is one of the sharper tools in the shedluni is one of the sharper tools in the shedluni is one of the sharper tools in the shedluni is one of the sharper tools in the shedluni is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Combat Medic
Name: Burt's Mustache
luni's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFTaco View Post
Haha, well some people really hate it there. Been there for a yr and loved it. Only thing I didnt love was being away from my family. All u do is drink, exercise (by that I mean play chem attack), drink, and drink some more. I've seen marriages of 20+yrs end in divorce. I had 1 buddy who just got back from a midtour with his wife and 2 kids in Hawaii. He had the time of his life. 1 month after he got back, his best friend was living with his wife and kids in his home. his kids started to call his buddy "daddy". He was married for 15yrs. Korea will make or break a marriage. Thats why some people really hate it there.
Well put. And without taking a shot at you at all, some people love the environment, especially single folks, especially especially higher ranking single folks. Some people like it a little to much and their UCMJ record reflects it. And some people like things they shouldn't, and their marriage reflects it.

I don't get drunk, I don't like being away from my wife, and I don't like going to work without a real job to do. Korea is not for me.

At the end of a year in Iraq our chunk of Baghdad had one of the biggest and most popular markets in the entire city known for its safety, multiple schools reopened, violence down astronomically, and an entire battalion of Iraqi Army soldiers actively patrolling the streets that the locals loved and often referred to as "our soldiers." As well as a trained and equipped local defense force to augment the Iraqi military and police forces.

In the same year a guy I work with now was in Korea, he has a bunch of drinking stories, an ex-fiance, and a PCS award.

Which would you be more proud of and given the option which would you rather do?
Old 07-26-2009, 09:04 AM   #46
rme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Helicopter pilot still serving
rme's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by trd09 View Post
i'll take the other side with this one.

you said that those who defend our country are mature enough to fight and therefore mature enough to drink.

so you're saying that choosing to not join the armed makes one less mature? is fighting for one's country the only yardstick used to judge maturity?

defending one's country does not resonate with the ability to make better decisions while drinking.

it sounds like discrimination to me.
Being in the military for 33 years (and still serving) I'll answer your questions in order:
1. Yes
2. Yes
3. Incorrect
4. You are correct it is discrimination against the country when one chooses not to serve.
I agree with the other posts that alcohol should be consumed on post and at given locations.

The difference for the military man is our discipline we are trained with. How much discipline have you seen 18 year college kids demonstrate at a college party?

Just my 2 cents though....
Old 07-26-2009, 05:01 PM   #47
senile member
Tacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Ex Navy. subs
Tacoyota's Tacoma Gallery
I think federal level / id card should allow u to drink once yer in, but an endorsment, so you get a basic 2 hour class or so, done deal. I you screw it up, guess what.. lose the privelidge. I know i toedthe line way too much when i was in . Never had anything bad happen luckily.
Old 07-27-2009, 06:23 AM   #48
ban the term murdered out
OU812 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOU812 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOU812 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOU812 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOU812 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOU812 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOU812 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOU812 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOU812 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOU812 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOU812 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Gas Turbine Elec
Name: danusa
OU812's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSchwartz View Post
The storys that i have heard from my (salty) LPO's. This was the norm in the early to mid 90's
Yep, I was 18 and had no issues getting all liquored up. Show a military id and you were in the bar with drinks in hand. Good times.
Old 07-27-2009, 06:49 AM   #49
spaghettiedy has much to be proud ofspaghettiedy has much to be proud ofspaghettiedy has much to be proud ofspaghettiedy has much to be proud ofspaghettiedy has much to be proud ofspaghettiedy has much to be proud ofspaghettiedy has much to be proud ofspaghettiedy has much to be proud ofspaghettiedy has much to be proud ofspaghettiedy has much to be proud of

Army: Ret. USAR Sgt.
spaghettiedy's Tacoma Gallery
Hell yeah! This was always my thought process in the military, "If you can die for your country, you can drink!"
Old 07-27-2009, 08:11 AM   #50
rabble rabble rabble
dud122 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddud122 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddud122 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddud122 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddud122 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddud122 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddud122 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddud122 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddud122 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddud122 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddud122 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Humane Officer
Name: Dan
dud122's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to dud122
Quote:
Originally Posted by rme View Post
Being in the military for 33 years (and still serving) I'll answer your questions in order:
1. Yes
2. Yes
3. Incorrect
4. You are correct it is discrimination against the country when one chooses not to serve.
I agree with the other posts that alcohol should be consumed on post and at given locations.

The difference for the military man is our discipline we are trained with. How much discipline have you seen 18 year college kids demonstrate at a college party?

Just my 2 cents though....

also just my 2 cents....

1. being in the military doesn't necessarily make you mature (different than ability) enough to fight or drink for that matter... therefore simply being in the military isn't a free pass to drink at a younger age... just look on youtube (as one example) to see some of the videos posted by some soldiers and see how mature they really are

2. i think that is a very biased answer... is joining the military a mature decsion - yes, do immature people sign up for the military because they have no where else to go in life or have a grudge or family pressure...etc - yes, there are lots of people that are very mature for their age but armed forces aren't for them... we need all sorts of people in this world and one choice doesen't necessarily make you any less mature than another

3. how does drinking and defending your country have anything to do with eachother?? lots of patriotic alcoholics out there that would lay down their life for their country or more beer

4. i'll go back to my answer in #2... we need all sorts of people in this country... some are better off joining the military, some are better off being a doctor, some are better off running a grocery store that supports their community and gives young kids a place to work rather than be on the streets

and the college party comment.... i knew lots of ROTC guys in college that got wasted on weekends... no real difference...

if you are in boot camp at 18 and don't have the opportunity to go out than that is a different scenario

with that said.... i think the drinking age should be lower but not just for military folks...

i agree with JDMCQ's comment that because drinking is made such a big deal younger people abuse it more... if it were more a part of daily life at a younger age... 21 yr olds wouldn't be getting alcohol poisoning on their bday
Old 07-27-2009, 08:33 AM   #51
abides.
Brunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: LT- CG MH-65C/D Driver- CGAS NOLA
Name: Mark
Brunes's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Brunes
Quote:
Originally Posted by dud122 View Post
also just my 2 cents....

1. being in the military doesn't necessarily make you mature (different than ability) enough to fight or drink for that matter... therefore simply being in the military isn't a free pass to drink at a younger age... just look on youtube (as one example) to see some of the videos posted by some soldiers and see how mature they really are

2. i think that is a very biased answer... is joining the military a mature decsion - yes, do immature people sign up for the military because they have no where else to go in life or have a grudge or family pressure...etc - yes, there are lots of people that are very mature for their age but armed forces aren't for them... we need all sorts of people in this world and one choice doesen't necessarily make you any less mature than another

3. how does drinking and defending your country have anything to do with eachother?? lots of patriotic alcoholics out there that would lay down their life for their country or more beer

4. i'll go back to my answer in #2... we need all sorts of people in this country... some are better off joining the military, some are better off being a doctor, some are better off running a grocery store that supports their community and gives young kids a place to work rather than be on the streets

and the college party comment.... i knew lots of ROTC guys in college that got wasted on weekends... no real difference...

if you are in boot camp at 18 and don't have the opportunity to go out than that is a different scenario

with that said.... i think the drinking age should be lower but not just for military folks...

i agree with JDMCQ's comment that because drinking is made such a big deal younger people abuse it more... if it were more a part of daily life at a younger age... 21 yr olds wouldn't be getting alcohol poisoning on their bday
Yeah....Being in the military does not make you better or smart than anyone else. Look at Abu Garab or any Good Order and Discipline notice. In many ways- lots of military members are far LESS capable of proper decision making than their counterparts.

A better environment/attitude regarding alcohol would improve the situation for everyone....Just letting the "underage" military folks drink isn't going to do anything but invite more trouble.
Old 07-27-2009, 08:57 AM   #52
raskal311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedraskal311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedraskal311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedraskal311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedraskal311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedraskal311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedraskal311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedraskal311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedraskal311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedraskal311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedraskal311 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
raskal311's Tacoma Gallery
I’m sorry guys but I saw two morons at the beach awhile ago acting like true idiots. When the cops came to arrest them they were bitching about how they risked their lives to protect this country and some other load of crap. Well it turned out they didn’t even go through boot camp yet… This really changed my view of the military…..

Just because you’re in the military it doesn’t make you more responsible then everyone else. If you’re going to lower the drinking age then may as well lower it for everyone.

By the way, many choose to service for love of the country and others because they had nothing going for themselves.

One of my good friends has been in the marines for 12+ years and has told me plenty of stores.
Old 07-27-2009, 09:06 AM   #53
raskal311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedraskal311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedraskal311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedraskal311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedraskal311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedraskal311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedraskal311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedraskal311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedraskal311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedraskal311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedraskal311 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
raskal311's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SecretSquirrel View Post
How does that change your view of the military, when they weren't even military?
They were accepted so what does that say?? Do you really think 3 months of boot camp is going to changed them? Iíve met plenty of other military Ďboysí who still acted like they were still in HS after 2-3 years of serving. Heck Iíve met active gang members who were serving.
Old 07-27-2009, 09:14 AM   #54
Kenobe is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenobe is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenobe is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenobe is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenobe is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenobe is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenobe is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenobe is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenobe is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenobe is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenobe is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force: MSgt (Retired)
Name: Ken
Kenobe's Tacoma Gallery
Yes, boot camp changes you. There are a few f#cksticks who don't learn a thing. But in general, yes you are a different more mature person.

That said, I think the drinking age should be 18 across the board. Why? Cuz they all do it anyway. I'm sure the potheads on the site would make the same argument for legalizing marijuana.......

In Europe, and many other countries outside the US, the drinking age is in the teens. Some 16, some 'tall enough to reach the bar'. Do they have the problems we do? Generally not so much. Because the 'thrill' of drinking and being naughty gets taken away since they have access to it when they're interested in it. My step-daughter (to be) has a fake ID so she can go out at 20 and drink, cuz it's a thrill for her to be naughty. Take away the thrill and it's not a big deal any more.
Old 07-27-2009, 09:22 AM   #55
senile member
Tacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Dude122 statement about our military discipline vs college parties,( I haven't leaerned the quote a post thing) is way off the mark. I've seen the same behavior in sailors and marines. Our "discipline"... cmon, what, we drink beer like a synchronous march, or specially trained in how to handle binge drinking? Please , if you serve you should be allowed to drink, but skip that arguement.
Old 07-27-2009, 09:31 AM   #56
rabble rabble rabble
dud122 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddud122 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddud122 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddud122 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddud122 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddud122 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddud122 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddud122 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddud122 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddud122 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddud122 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

dud122's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacoyota View Post
Dude122 statement about our military discipline vs college parties,( I haven't leaerned the quote a post thing) is way off the mark. I've seen the same behavior in sailors and marines. Our "discipline"... cmon, what, we drink beer like a synchronous march, or specially trained in how to handle binge drinking? Please , if you serve you should be allowed to drink, but skip that arguement.
i don't think you got the point of my post... i wasn't comparing college parties and military discipline... actually i don't quite understand a lot of your post

the point i was trying to make was about the post RME had, he said...

"The difference for the military man is our discipline we are trained with. How much discipline have you seen 18 year college kids demonstrate at a college party?"

and i was only trying to point out that i have seen lots of 3rd and 4th year ROTC guys getting wasted at parties in college... thus they are no more mature than those not in training getting wasted at college parties

the bottom line is joining the armed forces isn't an automatic stamp of maturity... i also don't have a problem with the young men and women in iraq haveing a few beers during their down time

you just can't change the law to lower the drinking age for enlisted men and women because the whole maturity argument doesn't float
Old 07-27-2009, 09:45 AM   #57
senile member

My apologies dud122. I tracked back to rme but still used youre name.
When I went in back in 1987 you could drink on base @ 19, what drinking problems I seen were handled by the crew since it was usually an on base party.
I'd like to see an interim change, maybe on say 4 bases each branch, all goes well then go then consider the next step.
Old 07-27-2009, 09:50 AM   #58
rabble rabble rabble

dud122's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Most of us aren't using that argument, though IMO a 19 year old serviceman is more mature in life than a non-serviceman. You can disagree all you want, I saw maturity come with responsibility. Granted, there were some jackass exceptions, but overall I believe it true.

why?
Old 07-27-2009, 09:59 AM   #59
rabble rabble rabble

dud122's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
In red ^^^

i completely agree

if your enlisted you deserve to have a few drinks when you have time... but the law is never going to change just to allow people in the armed forces nor should it

service isn't the only place where you get more responsibility either

guys in the service can underage drink just like the rest of us for a few years until they are 21... just like they have been for a long time.... no reason to change the law until its changed for everyone
Old 07-27-2009, 10:02 AM   #60
bass turds
Veccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
Veccster's Tacoma Gallery
I hate this argument.

Several of my high school friends joined the army. Not because they were "mature" or wanted to fight for freedom of all Americans. They joined because the army pays well, has awesome benefits, many perks (base stores and discounts), a lucrative pension plan, looks good on a resume and gives you the ability to RETIRE AFTER 20 YEARS (age 40 for most of my friends). Many of these tough guys would be laying block, living paycheck to paycheck, spending their money on drugs and probably receiving welfare or other gvmt. freebies if they weren't in the army. That is why they joined. And NO, these guys should not be allowed to drink sooner than any other American.

I realize it's a dangerous job and tough on those who do it. I respect that and respect those who dedicate their lives to do it. But I don't think those people are any better than myself. Also, don't get me wrong...not everyone joins for the reasons above but some do (and I know a few).

And I'm ok with the drinking age at 21. I made it and you will too.