Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Military

Notices

Military drinking age???

View Poll Results: Should Military be allowed to drink at 18?
Hell yeah! 132 68.75%
Nope! 60 31.25%
Voters: 192. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-24-2009, 10:41 PM   #1
Rangerpeterson has a brilliant futureRangerpeterson has a brilliant futureRangerpeterson has a brilliant futureRangerpeterson has a brilliant futureRangerpeterson has a brilliant futureRangerpeterson has a brilliant futureRangerpeterson has a brilliant futureRangerpeterson has a brilliant futureRangerpeterson has a brilliant futureRangerpeterson has a brilliant futureRangerpeterson has a brilliant future

Army: 75th Ranger Regiment
Rangerpeterson's Tacoma Gallery
Military drinking age???

So should people who are serving in the military be allowed to drink alcohol when they are 18 or should the wait until they are 21 like everyone else?

Just wondering???
Old 07-24-2009, 10:46 PM   #2
JDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
JDMcQ's Tacoma Gallery
If you are old enough to defend our beloved country than you are old enough to have a drink
Old 07-24-2009, 11:02 PM   #3
higherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Blake
higherlux's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to higherlux
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmcq View Post
If you are old enough to defend our beloved country than you are old enough to have a drink
amen
Old 07-24-2009, 11:03 PM   #4
Lieutenant Dan.
DeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Lieutenant
DeeKay21's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
X3.
Old 07-24-2009, 11:12 PM   #6
TheSchwartz has much to be proud ofTheSchwartz has much to be proud ofTheSchwartz has much to be proud ofTheSchwartz has much to be proud ofTheSchwartz has much to be proud ofTheSchwartz has much to be proud ofTheSchwartz has much to be proud ofTheSchwartz has much to be proud ofTheSchwartz has much to be proud of

Navy: Equipment Operator 1st class
Name: Aaron
TheSchwartz's Tacoma Gallery
As a active military member i think that the age should be 18 with restrictions. Such as only on base and no hard Alcohol.
Old 07-24-2009, 11:16 PM   #7
Rangerpeterson has a brilliant futureRangerpeterson has a brilliant futureRangerpeterson has a brilliant futureRangerpeterson has a brilliant futureRangerpeterson has a brilliant futureRangerpeterson has a brilliant futureRangerpeterson has a brilliant futureRangerpeterson has a brilliant futureRangerpeterson has a brilliant futureRangerpeterson has a brilliant futureRangerpeterson has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSchwartz View Post
As a active military member i think that the age should be 18 with restrictions. Such as only on base and no hard Alcohol.

Hmmm thats intresting. I know for my brother and sister they could drink at 18 but only 3.2 beer in Colorado. That was about 20 years ago or so.
Old 07-24-2009, 11:18 PM   #8
TheSchwartz has much to be proud ofTheSchwartz has much to be proud ofTheSchwartz has much to be proud ofTheSchwartz has much to be proud ofTheSchwartz has much to be proud ofTheSchwartz has much to be proud ofTheSchwartz has much to be proud ofTheSchwartz has much to be proud ofTheSchwartz has much to be proud of

The storys that i have heard from my (salty) LPO's. This was the norm in the early to mid 90's
Old 07-24-2009, 11:19 PM   #9
pgfaulkner is on a distinguished road
pgfaulkner's Tacoma Gallery
pretty much unanimous, i bet spurrier voted no on this too!!!
Old 07-24-2009, 11:22 PM   #10

While I was in we regularly had formal functions (yearly events, reniouns, homecomming from overseas, etc.) and all personel were allowed to drink regaurdless of age.
Old 07-24-2009, 11:29 PM   #11

Ive heard of this and it still happens. however not at every function and it is up to the CO
Old 07-24-2009, 11:38 PM   #12
Greg Graffin 2016
WhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Andre
WhatThePho?'s Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to WhatThePho?
Quote:
Truth be spoken.
Old 07-24-2009, 11:39 PM   #13
trd09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrd09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrd09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrd09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrd09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrd09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrd09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrd09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrd09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrd09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrd09 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chuck
trd09's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
i'll take the other side with this one.

you said that those who defend our country are mature enough to fight and therefore mature enough to drink.

so you're saying that choosing to not join the armed makes one less mature? is fighting for one's country the only yardstick used to judge maturity?

defending one's country does not resonate with the ability to make better decisions while drinking.

it sounds like discrimination to me.
Old 07-24-2009, 11:59 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by trd09 View Post

you said that those who defend our country are mature enough to fight and therefore mature enough to drink.

so you're saying that choosing to not join the armed makes one less mature? is fighting for one's country the only yardstick used to judge maturity?

defending one's country does not resonate with the ability to make better decisions while drinking.

If you are not up too defending your country.... then yes call that discrimination...
Old 07-25-2009, 12:04 AM   #15
JDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

JDMcQ's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

No, I am saying that if you are OLD enough to defend your country you are old enough to drink. Not everyone volunteers, but we all of a certain age can (in theory) be called to duty. Granted forced enlistment has not happened in a long time, but it has and could happen.
Old 07-25-2009, 12:07 AM   #16
trd09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrd09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrd09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrd09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrd09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrd09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrd09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrd09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrd09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrd09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrd09 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

trd09's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerpeterson View Post
If you are not up too defending your country.... then yes call that discrimination...
i am 18 and will be attending college in the fall. i am attending college to pursue a career path which i wish to excel in.

i am "up to" defending my country, but exercised my right to choose another path.

1. does that make me inmature?
2. is there anything i can do to demonstrate the maturity that i (as well as others) believe i have to be "old enough to drink" without enlisting?
Old 07-25-2009, 12:11 AM   #17

trd09's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
No, I am saying that if you are OLD enough to defend your country you are old enough to drink.
i'm sorry i misinterpreted what you said and ran with it. to clarify, you're saying that the drinking age should be lowered to 18 for everyone regardless of military status.
Old 07-25-2009, 12:16 AM   #18

JDMcQ's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
i'm sorry i misinterpreted what you said and ran with it. to clarify, you're saying that the drinking age should be lowered to 18 for everyone regardless of military status.
Yes, but unfortunately the culture in America has not fostered the necessary respect for alcohol in younger people that exists in other cultures. Our underage people view it as a taboo and use it as a rebellious tool against those who tell them they cannot do it. Therefore there will be some abuse of alcohol by them. Other countries are less uptight, their kids are brought up around it, having a glass of wine at 14. by the time that they can drink outside the home it is no big deal.
Old 07-25-2009, 01:32 AM   #19
Stayed Up Too Late
Untamed_SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedUntamed_SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedUntamed_SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedUntamed_SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedUntamed_SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedUntamed_SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedUntamed_SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedUntamed_SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedUntamed_SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedUntamed_SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedUntamed_SS is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: 0311-Bravo 1/23 4th Mar. Div. Reserves
Name: Adam
Untamed_SS's Tacoma Gallery
I would say yeah, but, the age 21 is somehow determined to be the legal drinking age for whatever reason like maturity or something. Even if you are 18 in the military, that doesn't mean you are "mature" enough to drink.

Something like that.
Old 07-25-2009, 02:21 AM   #20
gtz85350 is on a distinguished road
gtz85350's Tacoma Gallery
The reason they make it 21 is bcuz ur brain is still growin/developing and doesnt stop till 21. I recieved a minor consumtion ticket when i was 19 and the judge made me read an article outloud in the courtroom to him and the main point to it was that alcohol can damage it's growth/development.I dont think its a maturity issue bcuz people over 21 are still getting DUIs and if ur drivin drunk i doubt that shows ur mature.