Munky is on a distinguished road
Navy: Active 2002 - present
Name: Beau
Munky's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Munky Send a message via Yahoo to Munky
Seabees would your thing then
Old 08-20-2009, 02:08 PM   #22
Screw your MPG's
jacob_wood is one of the sharper tools in the shedjacob_wood is one of the sharper tools in the shedjacob_wood is one of the sharper tools in the shedjacob_wood is one of the sharper tools in the shedjacob_wood is one of the sharper tools in the shedjacob_wood is one of the sharper tools in the shedjacob_wood is one of the sharper tools in the shedjacob_wood is one of the sharper tools in the shedjacob_wood is one of the sharper tools in the shedjacob_wood is one of the sharper tools in the shedjacob_wood is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jacob
jacob_wood's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to jacob_wood
care to explain more?
Old 08-20-2009, 02:16 PM   #23
Krusey1011 is on a distinguished road

Marines: Ordnance
Name: Kyle
Krusey1011's Tacoma Gallery
Don't do it for the money because thats just stupid! And definitely don't base it on the recruter. They're all just trying to make there quota. Some may be in more need right now than others. I think the Army is a dime a dozen. ( no offense ) The Marines arer the best but have the crap of everything! But we make do! I wouldn't ever join the Navy just because I would hate being on a boat. And the AF has the nicest of everything and they would be a cake walk IMO. ( no offense to that either ) If I were to re-enlist It would be AF for the win! But I'm not... 5 n out for me. Don't regret it one bit either. But some guys hate it. Like TW says all the time "To each his own" aaaaaannd IM DONE TALKING ABOUT THIS!!!! lol GOOD LUCK

I have to add this though... Join the Marines and I have a better chance at not getting called back hahahaha
Old 08-20-2009, 02:18 PM   #24
Screw your MPG's
jacob_wood is one of the sharper tools in the shedjacob_wood is one of the sharper tools in the shedjacob_wood is one of the sharper tools in the shedjacob_wood is one of the sharper tools in the shedjacob_wood is one of the sharper tools in the shedjacob_wood is one of the sharper tools in the shedjacob_wood is one of the sharper tools in the shedjacob_wood is one of the sharper tools in the shedjacob_wood is one of the sharper tools in the shedjacob_wood is one of the sharper tools in the shedjacob_wood is one of the sharper tools in the shed

I probably would not do Marines I am do not believe I am capable of what you guys do! I appreciate it though!
Old 08-20-2009, 02:19 PM   #25
College.
PatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: Sgt/6153 - CH-53E Airframe/Hydraulics Mechanic, HMH-464, MAG 29, 2nd MAW
Name: Pat
PatHLC128's Tacoma Gallery
like others have said, just make sure you get exactly what you want before you sign. if the recruiters tell you a job is unavailable, walk out - theyll call you back. thats the only mistake i made, otherwise its a blast, im very happy i did it.
Old 08-20-2009, 02:23 PM   #26
Screw your MPG's

thanks for the advice!
Old 08-20-2009, 04:15 PM   #27
Banned
Munky is on a distinguished road
Navy: Active 2002 - present
Name: Beau
Munky's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Munky Send a message via Yahoo to Munky
Seabees are basicly Construction workers, and mechanics with guns. They go to various different places and build stuff, (bridges, schools, offices, etc) with a gun on them. if you want to work on an engine then you could be a MM (machinist mate) they work on different things, on just about every kinda of ship. GSE and GSM Gas turbine Electronics and Mantance they work on Gas Turbine (Jet engines) on ships. then if you want to work on Planes or helos we have all kinds of different Air Mechanics. like i said it all really depends on what you what to do
Old 08-20-2009, 04:34 PM   #28
c2thegreat is a jewel in the roughc2thegreat is a jewel in the roughc2thegreat is a jewel in the rough

Army: Infantry
c2thegreat's Tacoma Gallery
Just make sure you dont settle on what you want like pat said don't let a recruiter tell you a job isn't available. When I went to meps I had researched and told them everything I wanted and when they told me my job wasnt available I left. The next day I got a call saying that an opening had "appeared". If they know you wont settle they are going to give you what you want. As far as what branch everyone is going to be biased all of the branches have mechanics. Talk the recruiters for every branch and see which one fits you the best.
Old 08-20-2009, 07:39 PM   #29
Mayor of TW
Delmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Vet
Name: Mike
Delmarva's Tacoma Gallery
Listen -- the thing that sold me on the Army was the 100% job/MOS guarantee.... as long as I passed the school, my MOS was guaranteed in my contract... can't get that in the Navy, AF, or Marine Corps...
Old 08-20-2009, 08:02 PM   #31
Stayed Up Too Late
Untamed_SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedUntamed_SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedUntamed_SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedUntamed_SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedUntamed_SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedUntamed_SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedUntamed_SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedUntamed_SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedUntamed_SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedUntamed_SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedUntamed_SS is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: 0311-Bravo 1/23 4th Mar. Div. Reserves
Name: Adam
Untamed_SS's Tacoma Gallery
I had a guaranteed job in the Marine Corps.

Sounds like seabees would be good for you, but I don't know much about them. Construction stuff from what I hear.

I have friends in both the Army and Navy. Well and the Marines as well. You always hear AF gets paid more and Army gets promoted fast. But I wouldn't base my decision on that. If you have any doubt for joining the Marines, don't do it.

Anyways, if you end up joining, thanks for your time. Andy my .02, join the Navy.
Old 08-20-2009, 08:09 PM   #32
No better friend,No worse enemy...
InfidelTaco has a brilliant futureInfidelTaco has a brilliant futureInfidelTaco has a brilliant futureInfidelTaco has a brilliant futureInfidelTaco has a brilliant futureInfidelTaco has a brilliant futureInfidelTaco has a brilliant futureInfidelTaco has a brilliant futureInfidelTaco has a brilliant futureInfidelTaco has a brilliant futureInfidelTaco has a brilliant future
Marines: iKill
Name: G
InfidelTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacob_wood View Post
I probably would not do Marines I am do not believe I am capable of what you guys do! I appreciate it though!

What? i think u just dont know what u ARE capable of . . .
Old 08-20-2009, 08:27 PM   #33
bundy
boostin04sti has a spectacular aura aboutboostin04sti has a spectacular aura about

Air Force: 75th SFS Military Working Dog Handler
boostin04sti's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via ICQ to boostin04sti Send a message via Yahoo to boostin04sti
I had a guarenteed job. If your looking for engineering type career field the AF has Red Horse and Prime Beef under civil engineering. But if thats what you want to do, I would say pick the service that has what you want. Each branch is good and and I'm not trying to pitch the AF to you, just throwing what we got out there.

http://www.globalsecurity.org/milita...prime-beef.htm
http://www.globalsecurity.org/milita...f/redhorse.htm
Old 08-20-2009, 08:48 PM   #34
Best Hack I Know
KAPendley is on a distinguished road

Army: Sergeant, 63B...Honorable Discharge
Name: Andy
KAPendley's Tacoma Gallery
I know if I could do it again, I would AIM HIGH!!! lol

I was a diesel mech, Light Wheel (63B) 8 years in the Army. I loved it, and would not trade my experience for the world. A org level mechanic can be put into ANY battalion, whether it be laid back or infantry. I was with every type of unit from bridge units in Korea (Engineers) to Artillery units. The artillery unit was the fucking best for sure. I dont know how it is now, because I served from 95-03, but the recruiter has nothing to with what job you get. You select your MOS based on your ASVAB score at the MEPS station AFTER you have signed up. They show you the jobs you qualify for, and IF a slot is open, you can pick. But they fill up fast, as in right on the computer screen.

Every branch has its own distinct training and MOS's. Ultimately it is up to you to determine which, and even after that, you will wish you joined some other branch. Mainly because you will hear sooo many opinions of each. Or be stationed with them.
My unit was stationed at Doha Air Base in Qatar during OEF, and the AF had it fucking MADE. With us being there with them, we had the same opportunity they had as far as food, drinking, and what not. Then we got to go to Pakistan with the other half of our unit and it was total fucking shit again.

Anyway. Army is great. Marines are great too. I have alot of buds now who served in the Corps. You can make your body do anything required of you. Over time, its just instinct....and you will be proud of yourself with any branch I think.

Good luck bro, and have fun. If your single with no kids, you better be prepared to get fucking JADED!!!! LMAO!!!!!
Old 08-25-2009, 01:20 PM   #35
Screw your MPG's

I am going to take my ASVAB test today at 2 just to see if the jobs I have selected would be available and that should help me make a more clear decision.
Old 08-25-2009, 06:40 PM   #36
Moose
MooseTX82 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMooseTX82 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMooseTX82 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMooseTX82 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMooseTX82 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMooseTX82 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMooseTX82 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMooseTX82 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMooseTX82 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMooseTX82 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMooseTX82 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: USS John Paul Jones; Gas Turbine Technician Electrical 2nd Class (SW)
MooseTX82's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I want to do some sort of engineering not 100% sure exactly what. I'm a hands on kinda guy so something of that nature. I'm definitely interested in any sort of mechanic work. A major reason why I want to enlist is to greatly if not completely help with my education because I do not have much help either way. It seems like a great way to get my life going, and I can only do what I can to serve back while I get all these rewards. Hope that helps and thanks a lot.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Munky View Post
Seabees would your thing then
Not exactly. If the surface Navy is more your thing you are looking to do what I do. Naval Engineering. I work on Gas Turbine Engines in the Navy. You can also work on diesel engines too as an Engineman. Id say the 2 rates that you described would be a GSM(Gas Turbine Systems Mechanical) or an EN (Engineman). Maybe a couple others. For more information you could research those 2 rates. Im a Gas Turbine Systems Electrician (GSE) and I sometimes work on GT Engines but mostly work on electrical auxiliary equipment associated with them. For instance: The Engine On and Engine Off light are both showing on as a dual indication when its off. Troubleshoot.

If you want to work. Enlist. If you wanna not do shit and deal with more bullshit as well as take more shit. Go to the Academy or something and go officer. Ill give you the info you need. Do I like it? No. Does it pay the bills and have pretty good benefits? Yes. Im doing 7 years and getting out.

Moose
Old 08-26-2009, 02:17 PM   #37
qballenko is a splendid one to beholdqballenko is a splendid one to beholdqballenko is a splendid one to beholdqballenko is a splendid one to beholdqballenko is a splendid one to beholdqballenko is a splendid one to beholdqballenko is a splendid one to behold
Army: SSG
qballenko's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I am going to take my ASVAB test today at 2 just to see if the jobs I have selected would be available and that should help me make a more clear decision.

If the job is not available that you want, Tell them to give you a call when it becomes available. Dont let them try and goat rope you into an MOS that you don't want to. You can wait the recruiter will try and pressure you to sign up. MOSs open and close. So if your job isn't available now wait and it will eventually become available. That goes double since you want to join the reserve.
Old 08-26-2009, 02:55 PM   #38
jackal419 is on a distinguished road
Army: Infantry Officer
jackal419's Tacoma Gallery
All I have to say is....

Old 08-26-2009, 03:15 PM   #39
Bearskill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBearskill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBearskill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBearskill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBearskill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBearskill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBearskill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBearskill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBearskill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBearskill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBearskill is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Bunch-O-Bullshit
Bearskill's Tacoma Gallery
While Im not getting shot at, Im a AF jet engine mechanic on heavys. Im working 12-15 hours a day for six days a week, six months a year, working outside. Was 133* in the shade yesterday, A lot hotter out on the flight line, and I only have half the tools Im supposed to, and I think Im going to smell like JP8 for the rest of my life. Yes, Marines work the hardest. Thats for sure. And yes, there are way to many pencil pushers in the AF, But don't put all the AF in one basket. To the guy thinking about joining the military, Oh, New G.I. bill. As long as you go to school full time and keep a C average you get three years paid in full, $1200 at the begining of the year for books and a Sgt BAH (houesing alowence) for your area. For three years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krusey1011 View Post
Yo, Join the AF! You don't do hardly anything and You have the nicest stuff and any little thing you do that the Marines always do. You get paid bank for. The AF would be easy breazy and you still get the money for college. I think the new GI bill is up to 90 something thousand now. Ballin!!!!
Old 08-26-2009, 03:23 PM   #40
The "Search" tab is your friend!!
steviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force:
Name: Steve
steviestyles's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delmarva View Post
Listen -- the thing that sold me on the Army was the 100% job/MOS guarantee.... as long as I passed the school, my MOS was guaranteed in my contract... can't get that in the Navy, AF, or Marine Corps...
Not true....The AF promises you your choice of career field given you qualify...You might be on delayed enlistment until it opens. I don't think that the AF policy differs much from the Army.