1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Sister @ MEPS.. Problems

Discussion in 'Military' started by AFButters, Sep 1, 2009.

1. Sep 1, 2009 at 5:52 PM
    mrp192

mrp192 REALLY!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Brent
    Cheney WA
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma Dbl cab long bed.
    Hood Strusts, remote Start, truck came with Leveling kit and wheels.
    dont have her do MPF... not a uber noner job! anything but that!

2. Sep 1, 2009 at 8:22 PM
    Reznor88

Reznor88 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Northern California
    Vehicle:
    '06 PreRunner DC Off Road
    If they're screwing her over and the new recruiter can't resolve the issues then tell her to say to the hell with it and find someone else who's willing to help her out.

If I remember correctly, just cause you're DEP doesn't mean shit, you're not in the military yet and can still say screw it.

Anyway, I know for a fact that once she's in she can get her transcripts reviewed, get credit for her college and then get the her stripes retroactively, my wife did this after a year or so of being in and realizing her recruiter screwed her.

As for not being able to sign up for 6 years, is there a reason she wants 6 instead of 4? I never understood the people (my brother included) that take the extra 2 years of something they haven't experienced yet and may not like. You can always add more time once you're in, it's a lot harder to get less time.

3. Sep 1, 2009 at 8:45 PM
    jeremiekc

jeremiekc Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremie
    Vilseck, Germany
    Vehicle:
    07 Regular Cab Base Model
    Secondary Air Filter removed, Painted Brake Calipers, AFN Drop in air cleaner, OEM Chrome Bumper, OEM Chrome grilll, OEM Cruise Control, OEM Interval Wipers, Hard Wired Garmin Nuvi 670, X-Runner Rims, Devil Horns, 6000w HID's, Bling Light Fogs with Blue Halo, OEM Bilstein Rear Shocks, 12V Plug in Truck Bed pocket. Debagged, 13" Antennax, Color Matched Satoshi Grill, URD Short Shifter, WeatherTech Floor Mats, PainLess Wiring Switched Fuse Box, Black Sand Pearl X-Runner Badges
    Having worked with the aftermath of really bad recuiters in the Army I feel your pain. The one thing that she has on her side is that she has time. The first time that a recruit goes to MEPS they do the initial ASVAB and physical stuff and they also have them raise their right hand and all that. They also sign a portion of their contract it is the DD Form 4/1 and 4/2 plus they sign another one that I cant remember. This locks them into the DEP program but not into an unbreakable contract.

Once they get a training date they go back to MEPS just prior to shipping to Boot Camp. That is when she signs the 4/3 and finalizes her contract, tell her not to sign this until she gets what she wants.

The thing that you have to tell her is not to settle on anything until she gets what she wants. Even if she has to wait for a school or something it will be worth it in the long run and she will have a more positive taste for the military.

If she is getting crap from a recuiter and they are dicking with her tell her to stand there on her cell phone in front of the recruiter and call either another branches recruiter or another air force recruiter. She is the one that they have to please not her having to please them. This is the one time where you have total control over your career. There is also nothing that says that a person is over qualified for a certain job, they do that to fill shortages.

Hope this helps. I do this for a living in the Army!!

4. Sep 1, 2009 at 8:49 PM
    Reznor88

Reznor88 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Northern California
    Vehicle:
    '06 PreRunner DC Off Road
    I hear that!

5. Sep 1, 2009 at 8:54 PM
    jeremiekc

jeremiekc Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremie
    Vilseck, Germany
    Vehicle:
    07 Regular Cab Base Model
    Secondary Air Filter removed, Painted Brake Calipers, AFN Drop in air cleaner, OEM Chrome Bumper, OEM Chrome grilll, OEM Cruise Control, OEM Interval Wipers, Hard Wired Garmin Nuvi 670, X-Runner Rims, Devil Horns, 6000w HID's, Bling Light Fogs with Blue Halo, OEM Bilstein Rear Shocks, 12V Plug in Truck Bed pocket. Debagged, 13" Antennax, Color Matched Satoshi Grill, URD Short Shifter, WeatherTech Floor Mats, PainLess Wiring Switched Fuse Box, Black Sand Pearl X-Runner Badges
    Like I said, this is my career. I am a career counselor in the army and the thing that I hear the most is that this is all they had to offer me. Which is a total piece of crap!

I am also not a fan of 6 year reenlistments as it reduceses your bargaining power when you are eligible for reenlistment. I am not sure what the rules are in the Airforce but in the Army you are eligible after two years.

She just has to remember that the DEP contract is not a binding contract it is when she signs the DD Form 4/3 that is the official one. This is the same form for all recruits in all of the services.

6. Sep 1, 2009 at 10:41 PM
    09tacoLI

09tacoLI Well-Known Member

Member:
    long island ny
    Vehicle:
    09 off road
    Shrockworks sliders,Shrockworks Front bumper,Warn 9.5xp winch,Toytec Ult.3in,Total Chaos UCAs,AP expo Rear, Fox remote resi shocks Bud built skids,Piaa 7in,Piaa yellow plasma Off road lights.
    I had a problem at meps also they told me I was color blind they were wrong. They told me to pick jobs I didnt want and I did like an asshole. BUT and the big BUT is untill you are at Lackland you are not in the USAF and they cant do shit. I scored an 89 on the ASVAB and wanted to be Security Forces they told me no you scored to high for that more bullshit. I got out of the contract that I signed and became SF with just alittle Fuck you attitude. You dont have to go nuts but its thier job to get you in and if your willing to walk away and wait or tell them your going in a different branch they will do what you want.

7. Sep 2, 2009 at 3:12 AM
    mpgnc64

mpgnc64 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike and Denise
    Western NC
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 Access cab 4cyl 5spd, 2000 Prerunner
    Tool box, Thule rack, rod holders, 5100s at 1.75 and the TSB
    Yeah thats BS about scoring too high, its also BS about not having a paralegal job. If I remember correctly you get one stripe for 25 credits and 2 stripes for 45 credits. Tell her to hold out for the job she wants and even if shes in the DEP she can back out anytime she wants. Have her tell the recruiter that if she doesnt get the job she wants she will back out on ship day, that gets the recruiter in a world of shit with the bosses. I should global the guy and chew him out in an email, say shes my neice LOL.

8. Sep 2, 2009 at 7:44 AM
    AFButters

AFButters [OP] Rigger, Please!!

Member:
    First Name:
    "Butters"
    Albuquerque, NM
    Vehicle:
    2008 335xi BMW
    yea i have informed her of all these details.. i just hope she actually fuckin listens

9. Sep 2, 2009 at 9:45 PM
    glhsracer

glhsracer Life is good.

Member:
    Michigan
    Vehicle:
    08 4x4

That does sound like a bunch of BS. My son is going in in January in the Nuke program. Seems like the recuiters and MEPS folks were either/or disorganized or uninformed.

I hope you get the problems resolved.

10. Sep 15, 2009 at 6:44 AM
    acrod82

acrod82 Member

Member:
    san antonio
    Don't let her go in open general, if she does she will most def. end up as Security forces, no offense to that career field but that doesn't sound like a job she would want. Literally about 75% of the BMT's who I meet at Lackland are Security forces and alot of them not by choice. She can back out anytime like someone else said, she still has that power and make sure she uses it. That recruiter pretty much thinks he has your sister in the bag signed up and basically doesn't want to do all that extra paperwork to get her stripes and preffered job.

11. Sep 15, 2009 at 7:31 AM
    Kenobe

Kenobe Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma TRD Sport
    Worst case, get hold of a politican (Senator or Congressman) and file a complaint. It should get fixed quickly.

12. Sep 15, 2009 at 12:46 PM
    nelson18matt

nelson18matt Well-Known Member

Member:
    Goodyear, Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2004 Long Travel Tacoma
    *SOLD*
    X2 on that. recruiters are salesmen (dirtbags) and want to sell you the military with the least amount of work on their part. gotta play hard ball with that shit and walk if your not 100% happy w/ what their are pitching you.

13. Sep 15, 2009 at 9:26 PM
    A.D.

A.D. Desert Riding Ninja

Member:
    SoC♠l 4 life but stationed in Utah
    Vehicle:
    Low and Slow Mini
    Dunno what to say man, seems like the MEPS peeps mess around with people more than the recruiters do!!

14. Sep 17, 2009 at 2:01 PM
    mrichardson74

mrichardson74 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Peoria AZ
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD Off Road 4x4 Double Cab
    3"lift, Total Chaos Upper Control Arms, Volant Intake, Flowmaster, Black AR Wheels, Rockford Fosgate Speakers and Amp, Kenwood DVD
    Tell her if she doesn't get exactly what she wants, she better wait. MEPS is going to try to seel the jobs they need to fill right then regardless of what she wants. If she is qualified for a specific job tell her to just wait till it is open, they will let her know, trust me.

Most recruiters care about what she gets...kind of...but they care more about the contract. Not because they are dicks, but because they have a boss calling them every 5 min yelling that they better get that person to sign. They will do anything to get her to sign the contract that day, because no recruiter wants to lose a contract on the floor over something like that.

Renzor88 is right...swearing into the DEP doesn't mean anything, thats why she has to swear in again before she ships. She can walk away from the DEP with no consequences at all...even though they will threaten her with jail time and fines. They are just trying to scare her into shipping.

Tell her that she better make sure what she signs up for is what she wants to do for at least the next 4 years of her life, or she will be miserable.

Trust me I was a recruiter.....I know thats something we all heard before...but I mean it.:devil:

15. Sep 17, 2009 at 2:16 PM
    AFButters

AFButters [OP] Rigger, Please!!

Member:
    First Name:
    "Butters"
    Albuquerque, NM
    Vehicle:
    2008 335xi BMW
    thanks...

I ahve talked to her again and again.. and its weather she listens or not.. but i told her not to sign anything else it has the job she wants on there. and for the years she wants.. right now she is playing the waiting game

Products Discussed in

To Top