Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Military

Notices

Joining the Military? Want to goto College? Already in college?

Old 02-14-2010, 10:37 PM   #21
cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
Good info!
Old 02-14-2010, 10:38 PM   #22
HOME!!!
solus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: LT, USN
Name: Mark
solus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by blowham View Post
I can handle the physical fitness aspect. I enjoy a good work out. I'm just not a fan of being yelled at in an attempt to "break" me.
well there will be yelling and a lot of it... so either you can learn to deal with it or maybe the military is not for you.
Old 02-14-2010, 11:11 PM   #23
Motivator
YayAreaTaco0311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYayAreaTaco0311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYayAreaTaco0311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYayAreaTaco0311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYayAreaTaco0311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYayAreaTaco0311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYayAreaTaco0311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYayAreaTaco0311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYayAreaTaco0311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYayAreaTaco0311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYayAreaTaco0311 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: Police Caller
YayAreaTaco0311's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by solus694 View Post
if you are perfect and follow all the instructions exactly as stated?

A LOT!

if you are not perfect and not follow the instructions exactly as stated?

A SHIT TON!

Its meant to take civilians and turn them into service members... it requires a lot of indocturnation and they only have 12 weeks. So, as you could imagine there will be a bit of yelling and bodily punishment, but nothing too extreme... they can't physically harm you.
lol. Not according to my experience when I went through boot...
Old 02-14-2010, 11:24 PM   #24
Sooooooper Moderator
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: former TSgt/E6, 3D172, Cyber Transport, NC Air Guard and prior AD
Name: Jamie
jhodge83's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by YayAreaTaco0311 View Post
we are talking about officers here though....
Old 02-15-2010, 10:44 AM   #25
HOME!!!
solus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

solus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by YayAreaTaco0311 View Post
you are a Marine... thats a little different... also when I say physically, I mean they can't put there hands on you unless you are doing something unsafe, now generally no one is around to monitor the DI's but they want to keep their jobs too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhodge83 View Post
we are talking about officers here though....
Boot camp is a bit different than OCS
Old 02-27-2010, 01:31 AM   #26
Oh gravity, thou art a heartless bitch!
AvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brandon
AvsFanTRD's Tacoma Gallery
I want to know what I have to do to get a recruiter to call me back? I have called an officer air force recruiter and an officer navy recruiter and I'm getting know where. It's been 2 weeks now. Should I try finding other recruiters?
Old 02-27-2010, 01:37 AM   #27
HOME!!!

solus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by AvsFanTRD View Post
I want to know what I have to do to get a recruiter to call me back? I have called an officer air force recruiter and an officer navy recruiter and I'm getting know where. It's been 2 weeks now. Should I try finding other recruiters?
go to the office
Old 09-15-2010, 06:20 PM   #28
HOME!!!

solus's Tacoma Gallery
bump for site
http://www.navy.com/navy/joining/edu...rgraduate.html
Old 09-15-2010, 06:46 PM   #29
BlueOxen is a jewel in the roughBlueOxen is a jewel in the roughBlueOxen is a jewel in the rough

Navy: radar tech
BlueOxen's Tacoma Gallery
Are these programs for restricted or unrestricted line officers?

Also, If anyone is wanting to become an officer in the USMC, I would suggest the Platoon Leaders Course program.
Old 09-15-2010, 06:52 PM   #30
HOME!!!

solus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueOxen View Post
Are these programs for restricted or unrestricted line officers?

Also, If anyone is wanting to become an officer in the USMC, I would suggest the Platoon Leaders Course program.
both... plus staff corps

mostly staff and restricted line though...however, there are similar programs for Nukes and Aviators...

sorry SWOs
Old 09-23-2010, 01:24 PM   #31
derekAV is a splendid one to beholdderekAV is a splendid one to beholdderekAV is a splendid one to beholdderekAV is a splendid one to beholdderekAV is a splendid one to beholdderekAV is a splendid one to beholdderekAV is a splendid one to beholdderekAV is a splendid one to behold

Name: derek
derekAV's Tacoma Gallery
im going to join, i talked with a recruiter and im waiting to hear from them to go take the ASVAB test. i also just started my 2nd year of classes as CSUSB. any advice?
Old 09-23-2010, 06:19 PM   #32
HOME!!!

solus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by derekAV View Post
im going to join, i talked with a recruiter and im waiting to hear from them to go take the ASVAB test. i also just started my 2nd year of classes as CSUSB. any advice?
check out this program... if you are pursuing a technical degree you can do this for 3 years.

Theres also NUPOC - Nuclear Prospective Officer Candidate - for those who want to be engineers in the Navy

and there are similar programs for medical degree/nursing degrees

You don't need to take the ASVAB... you'll take a different test (forgot the name). Call and talk to an Officer Recruiter NOT the enlisted recruiter...ask specifically about BDCP or NUPOC or even the Nurse programs

The enlisted recruiter will give you the run around because they have quotas whereas the officer recruiter does not!

Also, don't let the enlisted guy tell you anything about needing to enlist first!

http://www.cnrc.navy.mil/miami/OPO/BDCP.htm
Old 09-23-2010, 06:30 PM   #33
like a boss
middiedefense is one of the sharper tools in the shedmiddiedefense is one of the sharper tools in the shedmiddiedefense is one of the sharper tools in the shedmiddiedefense is one of the sharper tools in the shedmiddiedefense is one of the sharper tools in the shedmiddiedefense is one of the sharper tools in the shedmiddiedefense is one of the sharper tools in the shedmiddiedefense is one of the sharper tools in the shedmiddiedefense is one of the sharper tools in the shedmiddiedefense is one of the sharper tools in the shedmiddiedefense is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Security
Name: Joe
middiedefense's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to middiedefense
The E's do the work the O's get the credit and the money...
Old 09-23-2010, 07:19 PM   #34
SOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Marines: Helicopter Pilot - RVN
SOSHeloPilot's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Lately I've seen or read about a lot of people wanting the join the military. I have some knowledge on that... if you don't want to enlist but still want to join, why not become an officer.

My background, I AM NOT A RECRUITER! I'm currently pursuing my graduate degree in Monterey, CA. I am a LTJG (02) and will be advancing to LT (03) December 1st. I've been in the Navy for just about 6 years. I'm a Supply Corps Officer, I'm pursuing my Master's of Business Administration and hold a Bachelors of Science in Economics from the University of Washington. I already had college paid for (grants, scholarships) so this was just extra beer money while in college.

Here's what you should do if you're in college, want to go to college, and want to join the military. Do not join ROTC.

I did a program called BDCP (Baccalaureate Degree Completion Program) (theres also a similar program for prospective nuclear engineer career path, pays a little more).

You get E3 pay (currently, $1,649.70 per month, plus benefits and housing allowance depending on schools location, mine was ~$1700 per month, you also recieve BAS (food $$) about $270 per month). You have to maintain a 2.8 or better, graduate with atleast a 3.0 and pass all Navy physical readiness standards.

Can participate for 2 years max (3 years for NUPOC (E5 pay)). afterwhich you will attend Officer Candidate School and upon successful completion of that you'll be commissioned as a Ensign (01) in the USN. (01 pay, currently $2,763.60 per month +housing/food). You will owe between 4-5 years depending on community. Unlike ROTC/Academy your 2(3) years in College count as time in service. So upon completion of OCS you'll be paid as 01 (w/ over 2 years service) which equals more money.

So, if you'd like to join the Military and want to serve your country but want to go to college this is a program for you. Ask an Officer detailer about these programs.

Oh no uniforms for 2 years while in school, (actually not allowed to wear them) plus full base access and priviledges (commissary, NEX, etc). No grooming standards, just meet with your local detailer monthly. If you recruit someone else you get advanced in rank (E4, currently $1,827.60). A friend of mine who did NUPOC, started as an E5 and recruited people he went to OCS as an E7 (currently, $2,515.50 per month)

So, you'll only need to come up with 2 years of college money... or transfer from a Community College to an University

BTW, The Navy always considers walk-ons to OCS... "off the street" applicants

http://www.navy.com/navy/joining/edu...rgraduate.html

Good write up on some of the choices available ... need to bump this thread when more questions about this come up.

Old 09-23-2010, 08:18 PM   #35
derekAV is a splendid one to beholdderekAV is a splendid one to beholdderekAV is a splendid one to beholdderekAV is a splendid one to beholdderekAV is a splendid one to beholdderekAV is a splendid one to beholdderekAV is a splendid one to beholdderekAV is a splendid one to behold

Name: derek
derekAV's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
check out this program... if you are pursuing a technical degree you can do this for 3 years.

Theres also NUPOC - Nuclear Prospective Officer Candidate - for those who want to be engineers in the Navy

and there are similar programs for medical degree/nursing degrees

You don't need to take the ASVAB... you'll take a different test (forgot the name). Call and talk to an Officer Recruiter NOT the enlisted recruiter...ask specifically about BDCP or NUPOC or even the Nurse programs

The enlisted recruiter will give you the run around because they have quotas whereas the officer recruiter does not!

Also, don't let the enlisted guy tell you anything about needing to enlist first!

http://www.cnrc.navy.mil/miami/OPO/BDCP.htm
ok cool! thanks for the info, ill look into that
Old 09-23-2010, 08:44 PM   #36
insomniac
Merk is on a distinguished road
Navy: heading to flight school  =D
Name: Joe
Merk's Tacoma Gallery
i'm workin in recruiting right now on TDY, waiting to go to Pcola... this is pretty accurate stuff. BDCP is for general officer programs, save for Seals. there are similar programs for medical, nursing, and nuclear engineers. It's VERY competitive right now. If you don't have over a 3.3 GPA, you most likely will not be accepted. It's basically a scholarship program so your GPA and your ASTB scores weigh heavily in the selection. Look up that ASTB and study for it. It's the Aviation Selection Test Battery and it's the Navy, Marine Corps, and Coast Guards officer aptitude test. A competitive score on the ASTB is high 50's and up.

Also, your degree is significant to what you're applying for. (psych, phys ed = basket weaving)

When you apply for BDCP, you apply for the designator that you want upon commissioning, so you have to meet the requirements for both the BDCP program AND the designator you want (ie, pilots have to have good eyesight, be under 27 y/o, etc)

If you want some info about the various designators available through direct accession and BDCP, check out www.navyjobs.com.
You can also find info about OCS, the ASTB, and other good nuggets of knowledge at www.airwarriors.com
Old 09-23-2010, 08:57 PM   #37
HOME!!!

solus's Tacoma Gallery
^the GPA wasn't that bad when I went thru this in 2003... I had a 3.2 and a decent ASTB score and got selected.

The ASTB is a test you must study for though...unlike the ASVAB there is a minimum competitive score