Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Military

Notices

Joining the Military? Want to goto College? Already in college?

Old 09-17-2009, 05:48 PM   #1
HOME!!!
solus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: LT, USN
Name: Mark
solus's Tacoma Gallery
Joining the Military? Want to goto College? Already in college?

Lately I've seen or read about a lot of people wanting the join the military. I have some knowledge on that... if you don't want to enlist but still want to join, why not become an officer.

My background, I AM NOT A RECRUITER! I'm currently pursuing my graduate degree in Monterey, CA. I am a LTJG (02) and will be advancing to LT (03) December 1st. I've been in the Navy for just about 6 years. I'm a Supply Corps Officer, I'm pursuing my Master's of Business Administration and hold a Bachelors of Science in Economics from the University of Washington. I already had college paid for (grants, scholarships) so this was just extra beer money while in college.

Here's what you should do if you're in college, want to go to college, and want to join the military. Do not join ROTC.

I did a program called BDCP (Baccalaureate Degree Completion Program) (theres also a similar program for prospective nuclear engineer career path, pays a little more).

You get E3 pay (currently, $1,649.70 per month, plus benefits and housing allowance depending on schools location, mine was ~$1700 per month, you also recieve BAS (food $$) about $270 per month). You have to maintain a 2.8 or better, graduate with atleast a 3.0 and pass all Navy physical readiness standards.

Can participate for 2 years max (3 years for NUPOC (E5 pay)). afterwhich you will attend Officer Candidate School and upon successful completion of that you'll be commissioned as a Ensign (01) in the USN. (01 pay, currently $2,763.60 per month +housing/food). You will owe between 4-5 years depending on community. Unlike ROTC/Academy your 2(3) years in College count as time in service. So upon completion of OCS you'll be paid as 01 (w/ over 2 years service) which equals more money.

So, if you'd like to join the Military and want to serve your country but want to go to college this is a program for you. Ask an Officer detailer about these programs.

Oh no uniforms for 2 years while in school, (actually not allowed to wear them) plus full base access and priviledges (commissary, NEX, etc). No grooming standards, just meet with your local detailer monthly. If you recruit someone else you get advanced in rank (E4, currently $1,827.60). A friend of mine who did NUPOC, started as an E5 and recruited people he went to OCS as an E7 (currently, $2,515.50 per month)

So, you'll only need to come up with 2 years of college money... or transfer from a Community College to an University

BTW, The Navy always considers walk-ons to OCS... "off the street" applicants

http://www.navy.com/navy/joining/edu...rgraduate.html
Old 02-14-2010, 08:16 PM   #2
HOME!!!
solus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

solus's Tacoma Gallery
seems relevent again... so bump
Old 02-14-2010, 08:35 PM   #4
Oh gravity, thou art a heartless bitch!
AvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brandon
AvsFanTRD's Tacoma Gallery
So what advice for those of us (i.e. me) who have a masters degree and are considering?
Old 02-14-2010, 08:39 PM   #5
HOME!!!

solus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by blowham View Post
So what advice for those of us (i.e. me) who have a masters degree and are considering?
if you already have an Master then just give you local NRD officer recuiter a call... you can "walk-in" to OCS.
Old 02-14-2010, 09:09 PM   #6
AvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by solus694 View Post
if you already have an Master then just give you local NRD officer recuiter a call... you can "walk-in" to OCS.
What is OCS like? How long is it?
Old 02-14-2010, 10:27 PM   #7
Lifted 'n Locked 4WD Prerunner
01tacoprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed01tacoprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed01tacoprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed01tacoprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed01tacoprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed01tacoprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed01tacoprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed01tacoprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed01tacoprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed01tacoprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed01tacoprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brian
01tacoprerunner's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to 01tacoprerunner
Quote:
I am pretty sure its 12 weeks.
Old 02-14-2010, 10:44 PM   #8
Screw your MPG's
jacob_wood is one of the sharper tools in the shedjacob_wood is one of the sharper tools in the shedjacob_wood is one of the sharper tools in the shedjacob_wood is one of the sharper tools in the shedjacob_wood is one of the sharper tools in the shedjacob_wood is one of the sharper tools in the shedjacob_wood is one of the sharper tools in the shedjacob_wood is one of the sharper tools in the shedjacob_wood is one of the sharper tools in the shedjacob_wood is one of the sharper tools in the shedjacob_wood is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jacob
jacob_wood's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to jacob_wood
Mark this info is great it definitely helps me out since I have been considering the Navy myself thanks for the good info and bump for those who are curious!
Old 02-14-2010, 10:58 PM   #10
MASTER CHIEF
STR8_BEAST is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTR8_BEAST is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTR8_BEAST is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTR8_BEAST is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTR8_BEAST is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTR8_BEAST is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTR8_BEAST is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTR8_BEAST is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTR8_BEAST is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTR8_BEAST is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTR8_BEAST is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Collin
STR8_BEAST's Tacoma Gallery
does the airforce offer the same program?
Old 02-14-2010, 11:12 PM   #11
HOME!!!

solus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
its not bad, a bit of a psychologic shock with the marine corps drill instructors... but challenging.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01tacoprerunner View Post
I am pretty sure its 12 weeks.
correct, it might be different now though, it was 12 weeks when I went through it

Quote:
Originally Posted by STR8_BEAST View Post
I don't know
Old 02-14-2010, 11:12 PM   #12
HOME!!!

solus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by YayAreaTaco0311 View Post
Bump..

Just because you're a LT!
thanks
Old 02-14-2010, 11:14 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by solus694 View Post
its not bad, a bit of a psychologic shock with the marine corps drill instructors... but challenging.
So how much yelling at me is involved?
Old 02-14-2010, 11:18 PM   #14
HOME!!!

solus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
So how much yelling at me is involved?
if you are perfect and follow all the instructions exactly as stated?

A LOT!

if you are not perfect and not follow the instructions exactly as stated?

A SHIT TON!

Its meant to take civilians and turn them into service members... it requires a lot of indocturnation and they only have 12 weeks. So, as you could imagine there will be a bit of yelling and bodily punishment, but nothing too extreme... they can't physically harm you.
Old 02-14-2010, 11:20 PM   #15
MASTER CHIEF
STR8_BEAST is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTR8_BEAST is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTR8_BEAST is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTR8_BEAST is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTR8_BEAST is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTR8_BEAST is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTR8_BEAST is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTR8_BEAST is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTR8_BEAST is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTR8_BEAST is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTR8_BEAST is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Collin
STR8_BEAST's Tacoma Gallery
enough to weed out the girly men i would guess
Old 02-14-2010, 11:23 PM   #16

I can handle the physical fitness aspect. I enjoy a good work out. I'm just not a fan of being yelled at in an attempt to "break" me.
Old 02-14-2010, 11:24 PM   #17
Lifted 'n Locked 4WD Prerunner
01tacoprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed01tacoprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed01tacoprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed01tacoprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed01tacoprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed01tacoprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed01tacoprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed01tacoprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed01tacoprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed01tacoprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed01tacoprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brian
01tacoprerunner's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to 01tacoprerunner
Quote:
I can handle the physical fitness aspect. I enjoy a good work out. I'm just not a fan of being yelled at in an attempt to "break" me.
Its not to break you it is to make you be able to perform in a high stress environment.
Old 02-14-2010, 11:28 PM   #18

Is there really a lot of stress in training?
Old 02-14-2010, 11:31 PM   #19
HOME!!!

solus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by STR8_BEAST View Post
you have a higher chance of flying jets in the Navy than the Air Force... you know that right?
Old 02-14-2010, 11:36 PM   #20
HOME!!!

solus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Is there really a lot of stress in training?
the "stress" at OCS is fake... but the navy definitely has it stressfull situations. Its really for indocturnation... make you stop thinking like a selfish civilian.