Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Military

Notices

Air National Guard Anyone On Here?

Old 09-18-2009, 11:24 PM   #2
Junior Senior Member
warpwr has much to be proud ofwarpwr has much to be proud ofwarpwr has much to be proud ofwarpwr has much to be proud ofwarpwr has much to be proud ofwarpwr has much to be proud ofwarpwr has much to be proud ofwarpwr has much to be proud ofwarpwr has much to be proud ofwarpwr has much to be proud of

Army: Motor Pool
Name: Vaughn
warpwr's Tacoma Gallery
President.

GW Bush was Air Guard.
Old 09-19-2009, 05:38 AM   #3
Wag More Bark Less
Simon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Retired 1983-2007 Signal O4
Name: Judy or Jude :)
Simon's Mom's Tacoma Gallery
JHodge83 & Missileman are both long time Air Guard guys here..hopefully one of em will chim in for ya.
Old 09-19-2009, 11:33 AM   #4
Reznor88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedReznor88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedReznor88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedReznor88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedReznor88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedReznor88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedReznor88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedReznor88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedReznor88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedReznor88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedReznor88 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
Name: Mike
Reznor88's Tacoma Gallery
Any reason going Guard over Active? Whatever you do don't buy into that one weekend a month, two weeks a year line. You're deployable like everyone else.
Old 09-30-2009, 01:07 PM   #5
Afwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: B-52 Crew Chief/ Ground Radio MX/ LC-
Name: Matt
Afwrestler1986's Tacoma Gallery
Honestly? I think that everybody that wants to be in the Guard should go active duty first. Do your 4 and then if you want to go guard then do it. I got out of active duty and went guard because i got a wg-11 job. Pays a bit better than e-4 and I still get the military stuff. I can deploy and I can decline as long as there are people to fill the deployment slots. But that doesn't mean I can't be voluntold to go either. I know that. But go active duty first. I think it paves the way for a better understanding of the way the guard operates. just my 2 cents.
Old 10-02-2009, 09:42 AM   #6
RevHard6 has a brilliant futureRevHard6 has a brilliant futureRevHard6 has a brilliant futureRevHard6 has a brilliant futureRevHard6 has a brilliant futureRevHard6 has a brilliant futureRevHard6 has a brilliant futureRevHard6 has a brilliant futureRevHard6 has a brilliant futureRevHard6 has a brilliant futureRevHard6 has a brilliant future

Air Force: Master Sergeant
Name: Nathan
RevHard6's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Afwrestler1986 View Post
Honestly? I think that everybody that wants to be in the Gaurd should go active duty first. Do your 4 and then if you want to go guard then do it. I got out of active duty and went guard because i got a wg-11 job. Pays a bit better than e-4 and I still get the military stuff. I can deploy and I can decline as long as there are people to fill the deployment slots. But that doesn't mean I can't be voluntold to go either. I know that. But go active duty first. I think it paves the way for a better understanding of the way the gaurd operates. just my 2 cents.
100% agree with this. I'm now an E7 in the Air Guard, but did 4 years active first. Best decision I ever made. As Afwrestler states, it puts you into a better mindset.
Old 10-02-2009, 09:46 AM   #7
RevHard6 has a brilliant futureRevHard6 has a brilliant futureRevHard6 has a brilliant futureRevHard6 has a brilliant futureRevHard6 has a brilliant futureRevHard6 has a brilliant futureRevHard6 has a brilliant futureRevHard6 has a brilliant futureRevHard6 has a brilliant futureRevHard6 has a brilliant futureRevHard6 has a brilliant future

Air Force: Master Sergeant
Name: Nathan
RevHard6's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoXdoer View Post
Im looking to enlist and want to know what your limited to.
But to your original question... what do you mean by limited to? Jobs? Being deployed?
Old 10-02-2009, 08:17 PM   #8
TheOtherGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheOtherGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheOtherGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheOtherGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheOtherGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheOtherGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheOtherGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheOtherGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheOtherGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheOtherGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheOtherGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army: 63B
TheOtherGuy's Tacoma Gallery
For college students going active first isn't really a good option. So if you want to go to college reserves are the way to go.
Old 10-03-2009, 08:17 PM   #9
Sooooooper Moderator
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: former TSgt/E6, 3D172, Cyber Transport, NC Air Guard and prior AD
Name: Jamie
jhodge83's Tacoma Gallery
been guard for almost 2 years and was active prior. if u have any specific questions, hit me up
Old 10-04-2009, 06:37 AM   #10
Afwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

The biggest problem I have seen is that alot of the younger people in the guard and reserves lack the maturity and responsibility to be in the guard or reserves. Especially when you sit back and think that these "kids" with no desire to serve the military because they "joined for school and i won't ever deploy" are being told to go pack their shit and they will be on a plane in 24 hours. And considering I am in a Combat Unit now, I don't want "that guy" anywhere close to me. Now thats not a statement into how I see everybody in the guard or reserves, but just coming from yet another technical school and seeing the new and improved basic training end results I for one can honestly say that in an active duty setting you have the ability to smoke your new guys/gals for being dumb. In the guard or reserves they screw up and say " oh well, see you next month". now as i said this does not pertain to everyone in the guard/reserves. And if you want to go to college in active duty you do have the opportunity, depending on your job. But when i was active duty and I screwed up, I was held responsible for it and was better off for it. Just saying.
Old 10-04-2009, 06:57 PM   #11
TheOtherGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheOtherGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheOtherGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheOtherGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheOtherGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheOtherGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheOtherGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheOtherGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheOtherGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheOtherGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheOtherGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army: 63B
TheOtherGuy's Tacoma Gallery
I am in the reserves and I agree with the above statement. When I joined I knew that deployment was almost certain and still joined anyway. I take my duties seriously and I am a good soldier. It certainly bothers me when I see others in my unit screwing around and not being serious in their duties.
Old 10-13-2009, 10:28 PM   #12
badyota is on a distinguished road
Air Force: A1C civil engineering
Name: matt
badyota's Tacoma Gallery
I am currently serving in the air national guard and have been for almost three years. Its not true that you should go active first, its all bout your mindset. My unit is currently deployed and i tried to go, but there weren't enough slots. I am held accountable for every mistake i make and push ahead and learn from them. I plan to stay my 20+ and hope to make ce officer in the next two years.
Old 10-14-2009, 09:30 AM   #13

As i posted before, that is not true for all of the guard and or reserves. I still believe that it should be mandatory active duty prior to guard. I do know for a fact that there would be a whole lot less confusion in a guard unit if they actually had a clue as to how some programs are supposed to be run. Compared to active duty everyone runs around like chickens with their heads chopped off. You go in to finance to find out about say a travel voucher and you get 5 different ways of how to fill it out because no one actually knows. In active duty the people do the job everyday and know how it works. Learn how it works then go guard. If everybody knew how the system worked without guessing until the inspectors came around then maybe drill weekends wouldn't be as bad.
Old 10-14-2009, 05:23 PM   #14
Sooooooper Moderator
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: former TSgt/E6, 3D172, Cyber Transport, NC Air Guard and prior AD
Name: Jamie
jhodge83's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Afwrestler1986 View Post
As i posted before, that is not true for all of the guard and or reserves. I still believe that it should be mandatory active duty prior to guard. I do know for a fact that there would be a whole lot less confusion in a guard unit if they actually had a clue as to how some programs are supposed to be run. Compared to active duty everyone runs around like chickens with their heads chopped off. You go in to finance to find out about say a travel voucher and you get 5 different ways of how to fill it out because no one actually knows. In active duty the people do the job everyday and know how it works. Learn how it works then go guard. If everybody knew how the system worked without guessing until the inspectors came around then maybe drill weekends wouldn't be as bad.
hahaha....really??? the people i work with in guard for comm actually have certifications, degrees, and know what to do. when i was active it was a guessing game and depending on the CIVs to run things. when we have exercises with active, we always come out on top compared to them
Old 10-14-2009, 07:29 PM   #15

Yes, I have been jerked around so much since going into the guard. The guard system is so ass backwards. We have a guy who totally fucked up some COMSEC stuff in my unit, in other words, he left out lots of stuff while contractors were walking right past it all day. On top of the fact that he couldn't do his job in the first place. The best part is that he was transferred to the unit com section. Active duty would have locked his ass up or at the very least kept his ass away from anything pertaining to comsec. And yes, I know active duty has it days and its own quirks, but the biggest plus to getting told to go 15 places in active is that you are always getting paid to do it, when I go by the base on a Tuesday afternoon to talk to someone about a travel voucher and why my leave hasn't been bought back after 4 months and am there for over three hours...I don't get paid. I guess its all in where you have been and where you are now. I still stand by my original statement though.
Old 10-14-2009, 08:11 PM   #16
HOME!!!
solus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: LT, USN
Name: Mark
solus's Tacoma Gallery
chair guard really?

well chair guard<Chair Force<<<<<<<<<NAVY!

GO NAVY!
Old 10-14-2009, 08:13 PM   #17
87Raven is on a distinguished road

Air Force:
87Raven's Tacoma Gallery
Guard?

I Most certainly agree with prior active duty first. You will certainly appreciate it more. With luck you will travel and see the world. i've done both and still still miss the travel not the BS.
The advantage of the guard or reserves is you can attain air tech status. THINK dual retirement