Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Military

Notices

Question about G.I. bill

Old 09-19-2009, 02:11 PM   #1
Bearskill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBearskill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBearskill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBearskill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBearskill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBearskill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBearskill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBearskill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBearskill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBearskill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBearskill is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Bunch-O-Bullshit
Bearskill's Tacoma Gallery
Question about G.I. bill

I know this is probably the worst place to get info on the G.I. bill, but Im getting out of the AF soon. Was going to get the post 9.11 G.I. bill. But more and more people are telling my that the old G.I. bill (the one I have now) is better. Can some one explain to me, in retard terms exactly what the old one is all about, before I sign up for the new post 9.11 one?
Old 09-19-2009, 02:17 PM   #2
AzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Govenor's Twenty, Mobilization Trainer, Squad Designated Marksman, Flight Operations
Name: Andy
AzogSS's Tacoma Gallery
After a deployment the Gi bill is different. I believe it goes from a 16-06 to 16-07 benefits. Not sure as to the difference from post/pre 9/11 though. If you did deploy thought the pay is awesome! It allowed me to buy books and guns.
Old 09-19-2009, 02:20 PM   #3
Bearskill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBearskill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBearskill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBearskill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBearskill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBearskill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBearskill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBearskill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBearskill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBearskill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBearskill is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Bunch-O-Bullshit
Bearskill's Tacoma Gallery
Ya, Im on my 3rd deployment right now. So the "new" G.I. bill pays for school, $1200 every Jan for books and you get a Sgt BAH right?
The old G.I. bill, does the money just go to you first then you pay the school? I just need to make sure wich ever one I get it will help with my rent and/or truck payment.
Old 09-19-2009, 02:46 PM   #4
College.
PatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: Sgt/6153 - CH-53E Airframe/Hydraulics Mechanic, HMH-464, MAG 29, 2nd MAW
Name: Pat
PatHLC128's Tacoma Gallery
the new one pays your tuition directly to the school and pays E-5 BAH w/dependant based on the zip code where the school is located directly to you. you also get $1000 a year for books/school supplies.
Old 09-19-2009, 03:17 PM   #5
HOME!!!
solus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: LT, USN
Name: Mark
solus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatHLC128 View Post
the new one pays your tuition directly to the school and pays E-5 BAH w/dependant based on the zip code where the school is located directly to you. you also get $1000 a year for books/school supplies.
Thats right... also, the tuition is based on the highest in-state rate for any state u... but there is no extra money they pay exactly what your tuition is up to the maximum in-state tuition for any state university.. The only payments you get directly is the $1000 book stipend, and the E5 (local) BAH.

9/11 bill is way better

also, remember the way UC/CSU system is set up they have very low tuition but very high "fees" from what I heard the bill doesnt cover the "fees"
Old 09-20-2009, 10:24 AM   #6
Reznor88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedReznor88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedReznor88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedReznor88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedReznor88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedReznor88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedReznor88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedReznor88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedReznor88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedReznor88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedReznor88 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
Name: Mike
Reznor88's Tacoma Gallery
I've heard good and bad things about the new GI Bill. Everyone gets all excited about the BAH for the new bill but they don't look into all of the other aspects of it.

We had a Commanders call where someone came and briefed us for about an hour and a half about the new bill vs. the old one. I of course was not paying attention because after 5 minutes of him blabbering on I lost interest.

Your best bet is just to head down to the education office and have them break it down for you piece by piece. Remember, once you go to the new bill you can't revert back to the old one.
Old 09-20-2009, 08:17 PM   #7
06yoda is a jewel in the rough06yoda is a jewel in the rough06yoda is a jewel in the rough06yoda is a jewel in the rough
Navy: Engineman
Name: Tanner
06yoda's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by solus694 View Post
Thats right... also, the tuition is based on the highest in-state rate for any state u... but there is no extra money they pay exactly what your tuition is up to the maximum in-state tuition for any state university.. The only payments you get directly is the $1000 book stipend, and the E5 (local) BAH.

9/11 bill is way better

also, remember the way UC/CSU system is set up they have very low tuition but very high "fees" from what I heard the bill doesnt cover the "fees"
It just depends on what you want to use it for. You stated that you want to pay for extra stuff like your truck and all that. Post 9/11 doesn't do that for you it goes DIRECTLY to the school of your choice. w/ all the above mentioned. The old one pays for most everything depending on how many classes you take a semester but they pay you a lump sum as long as you are a full time student and then you get to pocket the rest. Hope that helps. I used both so...
Old 09-22-2009, 10:58 PM   #8
HOME!!!
solus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

solus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 06yoda View Post
It just depends on what you want to use it for. You stated that you want to pay for extra stuff like your truck and all that. Post 9/11 doesn't do that for you it goes DIRECTLY to the school of your choice. w/ all the above mentioned. The old one pays for most everything depending on how many classes you take a semester but they pay you a lump sum as long as you are a full time student and then you get to pocket the rest. Hope that helps. I used both so...
I completely disagree... the BAH alone is worth it. Not only do you get school completely paid for but they also give you $$ for housing. That right there put the yearly value at atleast $50,000 (tuition + BAH), assuming you go to a cheap school in a cheap housing market...

If you can just live at home or rent with roommate and bank the rest.
Old 09-26-2009, 03:41 PM   #9
nelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Ex-Cone
nelson18matt's Tacoma Gallery
i'm currently using the post 9/11 GI BILL and it is the shit!!! dont know why somebody would say the old one is better. that makes no sense to me. i'm getting $1,500 BAH just for going to school for free. whats not to like?
Old 09-28-2009, 05:26 PM   #10
HOME!!!

solus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by nelson18matt View Post
i'm currently using the post 9/11 GI BILL and it is the shit!!! dont know why somebody would say the old one is better. that makes no sense to me. i'm getting $1,500 BAH just for going to school for free. whats not to like?
exactly!
Old 09-28-2009, 05:29 PM   #11
Sticks For Troops
AFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: (2T2X1)Air Force Rigger
Name: "Butters"
AFButters's Tacoma Gallery
New GI Bill sounds awesome
Old 09-28-2009, 05:35 PM   #12
HOME!!!

solus's Tacoma Gallery
you get the most $$ if you goto a school in a very expensive place to live...
Old 09-28-2009, 09:47 PM   #13
nelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Ex-Cone
nelson18matt's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by solus694 View Post
you get the most $$ if you goto a school in a very expensive place to live...
yeah, and i live in CA (as do you) it's almost too good to be true. BUT IT IS TRUE!!! never thought i'd be so happy to go to school.
Old 10-27-2009, 01:06 PM   #14
Protected by Armor Tech Offroad
dbronzo is one of the sharper tools in the sheddbronzo is one of the sharper tools in the sheddbronzo is one of the sharper tools in the sheddbronzo is one of the sharper tools in the sheddbronzo is one of the sharper tools in the sheddbronzo is one of the sharper tools in the sheddbronzo is one of the sharper tools in the sheddbronzo is one of the sharper tools in the sheddbronzo is one of the sharper tools in the sheddbronzo is one of the sharper tools in the sheddbronzo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army:
Name: Dennis
dbronzo's Tacoma Gallery
I used the old one. With the GI Bill and Army College fund I was getting 1900 a month when I was a full time student. The down side is that I had to pay for my books and tuition. Definitely sounds like the new one can be a lot better if you are going to a good/expensive school. I did find out thru my ED center that I can apply for the post 9/11 GI Bill and get another 12mo's paid for.
Old 10-27-2009, 03:09 PM   #15
stolenrecoveredtaco is on a distinguished road
Navy: ET2 SW/AW
stolenrecoveredtaco's Tacoma Gallery
transferability of GI bill/post 9/11 GI bill

I believe the old GI bill can be transferred with a "second" enlistment. Whether it was a year or two year extension, it can transfer to kids or immediate family.

With the new GI bill, you have to have 10 year AD to transfer, other than that, the new post 9/11 GI bill is better. (E5 BAH, $500 books, hire a tutor, yellow ribbon program through some schools, highest in state public tuition rate)

I just received a magazine $10, that explains differences and I am getting daily emails from our NCCM (e-9) about it. I will try to answer some questions if I can.
Old 10-27-2009, 03:14 PM   #16
stolenrecoveredtaco is on a distinguished road
Navy: ET2 SW/AW
stolenrecoveredtaco's Tacoma Gallery
hey! anyone need emergency funds??? check this link out

TEAM STENNIS,
Attached and below link can be used to update Post 9/11 GI Bill briefs. it's good to know for participants of Post 9/11 GI Bill that VA/schools are working feverishly on making this and the Yellow Ribbon work. This being the first year- they are issuing these Emergency funds.
http://www.defenselink.mil/news/news....aspx?id=55991
Please see attached document.
V/R NCCM
Old 10-28-2009, 04:04 PM   #17
TheOtherGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheOtherGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheOtherGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheOtherGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheOtherGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheOtherGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheOtherGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheOtherGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheOtherGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheOtherGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheOtherGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army: 63B
TheOtherGuy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearskill View Post
Ya, Im on my 3rd deployment right now. So the "new" G.I. bill pays for school, $1200 every Jan for books and you get a Sgt BAH right?
The old G.I. bill, does the money just go to you first then you pay the school? I just need to make sure wich ever one I get it will help with my rent and/or truck payment.

The post 911 GI Bill benifits are largeley based on your time in service as active duty. You are on your third deployment so your most likely you will be able to recieve 100% of the benifits under the post 911 GI Bill.

I am a reservist that has not been deployed, so I am only eligable to recieve 40% of the total post 911 GI Bill. So for me its is better to use the old GI bill.

If I was eligable to recieve 100% of the post 911 benefits I would defenatly take it. It would be much better for me than what I am getting now.

Go to the VA website and you can compare both plans side by side. Do good research before you decide, because once you go to the Post 911 GI BIll you cannot change back.