1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Phony Marine due for arrest

Discussion in 'Military' started by HBMurphy, Oct 4, 2009.

1. Oct 4, 2009 at 8:21 AM
    HBMurphy

HBMurphy [OP] Ban Pending

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    So California Coast
    Vehicle:
    09 Off Road Delete Model
    None
    Phony Marine due for arrest
    Coloradan who posed as wounded Iraq veteran being prosecuted under Stolen Valor Act

I guess I should stop telling my Vietnamese GF the stories of "When I was in Nam.." ;)

[​IMG]
    Rick Glen Strandlof, using the alias Rick Duncan, campaigned for several political candidates. (Denver Post file photo)

Rick Glen Strandlof, a former mental patient who posed as a wounded Marine captain to found a statewide veterans group and campaign for political candidates, is being prosecuted under the Stolen Valor Act for making claims he received a Purple Heart.

A federal arrest warrant was issued Thursday evening for Strandlof, who used the alias Rick Duncan when he was acting as a spokesman for veterans issues.

Strandlof will be charged with one count of making false claims about receipt of military decorations or medals, a misdemeanor punishable by a year in jail and a $250,000 fine.

Strandlof, 32, had not been arrested as of Friday evening.

Jeffrey Dorschner, a spokesman for the U.S. attorney's office in Colorado, would not say whether authorities know his whereabouts. Dorschner said only that Strandlof will be brought to Denver to appear before a federal magistrate after he is arrested.

Strandlof is the first person to be charged in Colorado under the Stolen Valor Act. The act, passed in 2006, made it possible to prosecute military fakers who make only verbal claims about earning military medals. Prior to the act, phony veterans had to be caught wearing the medals to be prosecuted.

"A lot of people wonder about the seriousness of this," said Pam Sterner, the Pueblo woman who wrote the Stolen Valor Act for a political science class. "What they don't understand is that to misrepresent yourself as someone who has earned a Purple Heart and to claim you are in the same league as someone who has sacrificed their life or lost a limb or something, that is uncalled for."

Suspicions aroused

Strandlof was exposed in May after members of the group he founded, the Colorado Veterans Alliance, became suspicious of claims that he had served three tours in Iraq, survived the Sept. 11 terror attacks on the Pentagon, graduated from the U.S. Naval Academy and suffered a brain injury during the battle for the city of

[​IMG]
    Rick Glen Strandlof founded a veterans group in Colorado.

Fallujah.

They searched military records and contacted the Federal Bureau of Investigation after determining he had never served in the military. The FBI began investigating Strandlof and arrested him in May on an outstanding El Paso County traffic warrant.

In interviews with the FBI and local and national media outlets, Strandlof admitted making up the stories. He said he suffered from mental illness. He had previously been hospitalized in a mental institution in Nevada.

People "deeply hurt"

"I think he probably is a real con artist. It's tragic. His ideas were to do good and help the vets, but people were deeply hurt by what he did," said his grandfather Richard Strandlof, a veteran who lives in Montana and said he hasn't seen his grandson in 15 years.

The investigation of the phony veteran took five months because the FBI also was investigating whether Strandlof used any of the money he collected on behalf of the Colorado Veterans Alliance for personal gain. Dorschner would not comment on what the FBI found. But there are no charges relating to the fundraising.

The Stolen Valor case against Strandlof was helped by the Internet. Portions of speeches he gave as Rick Duncan are posted on YouTube videos. In one, he claims he was wounded and lost four Marines under his command. He also claimed to have a metal plate in his head from that injury and to suffer from post traumatic stress disorder.

The affidavit noted that a month before his arrest, Strandlof had agreed to appear at a veterans event wearing his medals, but he showed up without them.

When asked why, he said he did not wear them because "it would appear egotistical."

Nancy Lofholm: 970-256-1957 or nlofholm@denverpost.com

2. Oct 4, 2009 at 8:38 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    What a douchebag. I hope they nail him!!

3. Oct 4, 2009 at 8:46 AM
    NumNutz

NumNutz One of the original 7928

Member:
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma 4x4 - Kings, TC, Dakars, broken stuff
    Lots.
    Never heard of the Stolen Valor Act. I great idea though to me.

What a jackass for doing something like that! Give him it all. Year in jail and the fine.

4. Oct 4, 2009 at 8:53 AM
    dhurley

dhurley Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Vehicle:
    04 Double Cab TRD SR5 V6
    TRD, Snugtop Super-Sport, bedliner, receiver hitch, alarm mod, deck plate mod, AFE Pro-Dry S, Saddleman camo seat covers, TW decal, grey wire mod w/switch, DRL, LED cupholder mod, Dynomax Super Turbo, aux back-up lights, Devil Horns by Andres, "blue plug" mod for 2LO, shorty antenna, Pro Comp fog & driving lights, receiver shackle, 15% tint front windows, stainless nerf bars, Ultra Gauge, diff breather mod
    x 1,000,000

5. Oct 4, 2009 at 9:08 AM
    HBMurphy

HBMurphy [OP] Ban Pending

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    So California Coast
    Vehicle:
    09 Off Road Delete Model
    None
    The ones I REALLY HATE are the guys that say they are vets for anti-war protest value. What schmucks!

6. Oct 4, 2009 at 9:19 AM
    rick

rick `

Member:
    reminds me of danusa

7. Oct 4, 2009 at 9:19 AM
    Incognito

Incognito No better friend, no worse enemy

Member:
    VA
    Vehicle:
    2012 Pyrite AC TRD OR
    Spacer lift, bumper stickers, ejector seat, etc.
    X100! Agree completely!

8. Oct 4, 2009 at 9:34 AM
    Afwrestler1986

Afwrestler1986 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Johnstown, NY
    Vehicle:
    01 trd 4X4 ex cab manual
    Gray wire, Some lights in the bed area, and some character marks throughout.
    Better idea: Make him account for his words. Make him enlist and go over and get shot.

9. Oct 4, 2009 at 9:36 AM
    JM76

JM76 Ride On

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    SC
    Vehicle:
    2016 AC SR 4x4
    bone stock save for the block lift that came on it with the open country m/t.
    not so much, since he jumped on the bannedwagon:D

10. Oct 4, 2009 at 9:55 AM
    dwzild

dwzild Well-Known Member

Member:
    Metairie, LA
    Vehicle:
    2010 MGM 4x4 Sport DC LB
    Hoo-rah! Sticker, Front Bed-bolt D-rings, Bed Mat, Weathertech Floor Mats, Sirius, TACOMAWORLD Sticker, Bak-Flip F1
    X1000. Never heard of the "Act" before, but have heard of several instances of people pulling this type of crap and impersonating military personnel. There are even people in the military that pull this sh*t. IIRC, Marine Corps Times posted an article about someone who had been posing as a retired General for years with un-earned medals, only to find out that he got out as a Captain. WTF?
    I am glad to see this new Act is being enforced.

11. Oct 4, 2009 at 10:00 AM
    Johnny72381

Johnny72381 Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma pyrite mica
    AMS oil and filter every change, K/N air filter, XM radio, Cb radio, and alot more to come.
    What a POS. I know Myself and all the other Devildogs in here have earned the right to where the Eagle Globe and Anchor. I hope they make an example of this guy so it might deter others from doing this.

12. Oct 7, 2009 at 6:59 AM
    cakmakli

cakmakli Finally made it - U.S. Army Retired

Member:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Sport
  13. Oct 16, 2009 at 1:25 PM
    cakmakli

cakmakli Finally made it - U.S. Army Retired

Member:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Sport
    Here's a picture of another hero..I mean loser.

It's called AR 670-1 buddy. Get a copy.

[​IMG]

14. Oct 16, 2009 at 8:28 PM
    mpgnc64

mpgnc64 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike and Denise
    Western NC
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 Access cab 4cyl 5spd, 2000 Prerunner
    Tool box, Thule rack, rod holders, 5100s at 1.75 and the TSB
    I know after I retire I will be on the look out for wannabes. I do like when I get asked why I wear 2 Army medals when Im in the Air Force.

15. Oct 16, 2009 at 8:36 PM
    JJ Customs

JJ Customs Supreme Leader!

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    NV
    Vehicle:
    Silverado Crew Cab Z71, 5.3 made from real Tornado's!
    A few additions to make me feel cool.
    I love going to bars with a beard when on leave and acting like I am not a Marine Infantry SGT with three tours. Its always nice to just listen to the stories over a few bears and then let your ID fall onto the bar. This normally ends with a look and saying "yeah you have 3 seconds before you get your ass whipped"!

16. Oct 16, 2009 at 8:46 PM
    topgun155

topgun155 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Zack
    Richmond, TX
    Vehicle:
    2018 F-150 5.0
    RIP to my 08 Prerunner DC
    Let him rot in jail.

17. Oct 16, 2009 at 8:47 PM
    topgun155

topgun155 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Zack
    Richmond, TX
    Vehicle:
    2018 F-150 5.0
    RIP to my 08 Prerunner DC
    Haha props to you.

18. Oct 16, 2009 at 9:02 PM
    rick

rick `

Member:
    thank you all very much for your service

19. Oct 22, 2009 at 1:49 PM
    NCTacoma09

NCTacoma09 Stand for Nothing or Die for Something

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    Black 09 Double Cab 4x4 V6
    I hope he sits in Jail for a long time. Or mabey send him overseas and make him earn all the shit he has been claiming.

20. Oct 22, 2009 at 2:00 PM
    jlvhrse

jlvhrse Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jen
    SoCal SGV
    Vehicle:
    2009 TRD Sport 4X4 Long Bed
    LSK front and rear LT and stuff
    Did anyone look into his "mental illness"? I only saw one thing in the article about it.. He may need treatment..

Products Discussed in

To Top