1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

TSP.. Anyone Use it?

Discussion in 'Military' started by AFButters, Oct 9, 2009.

1. Oct 9, 2009 at 6:10 PM
    AFButters

AFButters [OP] Rigger, Please!!

Member:
    First Name:
    "Butters"
    Albuquerque, NM
    Vehicle:
    2008 335xi BMW
    I have a TSP account and put a couple Hundred bucks away a month.. but geez.. It doenst seem to be doing anything for me right now with the economy still soo shitty

2. Oct 9, 2009 at 6:29 PM
    Caduceus

Caduceus Well-Known Member

Member:
    in the Bluegrass
    Vehicle:
    09 DCSB TRD 4x4
    Yeah it isn't doing much now. But remember, the point is a retirement fund, so you shouldn't be worrying how it does NOW, but how it is in 20 years (or whenever you finally pull it out).

BTW, it's still at a better rate than most CDs and IRAs! Sad, huh?

3. Oct 9, 2009 at 6:35 PM
    EquinsuOcha

EquinsuOcha Bourbon

Member:
    First Name:
    Casey
    Ft Worth, TX
    Vehicle:
    07 PreRunner
    AFE Drop-in filter, Wet Okole seat covers, Hifonics 6.5" components in front, MA Audio midbasses in rear, Kicker 8", RE Audio 2 channel for components, Elemental Designs bridged 2-channel for sub, CB, Devil Horns, Rancho QuickLift, Rancho RS9000XL rear shocks, Toytec AAL, stickers, things and stuff.
    You gotta shift the money around in order for it to work for you. You just gotta find out which fund is doing better and transfer it constantly. When I worked for the government, I put in 5% and they matched up to 5%. After four years I got back just over 3k.

4. Oct 9, 2009 at 6:36 PM
    AFButters

Member:
    First Name:
    "Butters"
    Albuquerque, NM
    Vehicle:
    2008 335xi BMW
    Yea that is true.. I just dont like how I have put in $6700 over the past 3 years and its only worth $5900.. Ive lost 12% over the long run soo far

5. Oct 9, 2009 at 6:36 PM
    AFButters

Member:
    First Name:
    "Butters"
    Albuquerque, NM
    Vehicle:
    2008 335xi BMW
    i do transfer the funds about twice a year.. jsut with the economy soo shitty the past couple years.. its really hurt

6. Oct 11, 2009 at 5:36 PM
    A.D.

A.D. Desert Riding Ninja

Member:
    SoC♠l 4 life but stationed in Utah
    Vehicle:
    Low and Slow Mini
    Should split it up. I have mine split a couple of ways and in certain areas you will always make money, while others you are gambling just like everyone else. I have only had mine for a couple of years now, and it is not worth anything less than i have put into it, it is worth more, not great amounts, but for the small amount of time i have in it, it has kept its own. I hope that it at least produces at the same rate it has since i have been putting away, because in another 10 yrs or so when i retire, it should be worth some money. But with that said, please don't let the TSP be your only source of savings, you should put into another form of investment if you want to retire from the armed forces and have a somewhat not so crappy retirement.

Our retirement checks, plus TSP, plus your own form of retirement funds, and probably some form of disability, should be decent enough(although probably quite small) to keep you from falling behind with a decent job when you get out, or at least be enough to cover the extra taxes you will be getting charged from landing a good job. 2 cents, and sorry for the long post.

7. Oct 11, 2009 at 5:44 PM
    09 Redneck

09 Redneck Well-Known Member

Member:
    Ga
    Been putting into mine for 20 years. Dont really have to worry about my future now. Have it all in the stock market. Yea I loose money some months but I make alot more in the long run.
    Very good way to save and make money. Very usefull too if things come up. U pay urself back when you borrow money from it...

8. Oct 11, 2009 at 6:07 PM
    AFButters

Member:
    First Name:
    "Butters"
    Albuquerque, NM
    Vehicle:
    2008 335xi BMW
    I have mine split up between F, C, I & S funds..

9. Oct 11, 2009 at 6:10 PM
    JeffRock

JeffRock Well-Known Member

Member:
    Capital region, NY
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma accesscab 4x4 SR5 2.7L
    Toyota all weather floor mats. Mag light that clunks around in the jack compartment. Dog hair. Dog drool on the windows.
    You haven't lost anything, unless you pull out. When the stock market comes back up, It'll grow faster! And the point is retirement is a long ways away. So you will gain in the end.

Products Discussed in

To Top