Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Military

Notices

TSP.. Anyone Use it?

Old 10-09-2009, 06:10 PM   #1
Sticks For Troops
AFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: (T2T2X1)Air Transportation Technical Training Instructor
Name: "Butters"
AFButters's Tacoma Gallery
TSP.. Anyone Use it?

I have a TSP account and put a couple Hundred bucks away a month.. but geez.. It doenst seem to be doing anything for me right now with the economy still soo shitty
Old 10-09-2009, 06:29 PM   #2
Caduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: I be a doctor
Caduceus's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah it isn't doing much now. But remember, the point is a retirement fund, so you shouldn't be worrying how it does NOW, but how it is in 20 years (or whenever you finally pull it out).

BTW, it's still at a better rate than most CDs and IRAs! Sad, huh?
Old 10-09-2009, 06:35 PM   #3
Bourbon
EquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Casey
EquinsuOcha's Tacoma Gallery
You gotta shift the money around in order for it to work for you. You just gotta find out which fund is doing better and transfer it constantly. When I worked for the government, I put in 5% and they matched up to 5%. After four years I got back just over 3k.
Old 10-09-2009, 06:36 PM   #4
Sticks For Troops
AFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Yea that is true.. I just dont like how I have put in $6700 over the past 3 years and its only worth $5900.. Ive lost 12% over the long run soo far
Old 10-09-2009, 06:36 PM   #5
Sticks For Troops

i do transfer the funds about twice a year.. jsut with the economy soo shitty the past couple years.. its really hurt
Old 10-11-2009, 05:36 PM   #6
Desert Riding Ninja
A.D. is one of the sharper tools in the shedA.D. is one of the sharper tools in the shedA.D. is one of the sharper tools in the shedA.D. is one of the sharper tools in the shedA.D. is one of the sharper tools in the shedA.D. is one of the sharper tools in the shedA.D. is one of the sharper tools in the shedA.D. is one of the sharper tools in the shedA.D. is one of the sharper tools in the shedA.D. is one of the sharper tools in the shedA.D. is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Graphics Artist
A.D.'s Tacoma Gallery
Should split it up. I have mine split a couple of ways and in certain areas you will always make money, while others you are gambling just like everyone else. I have only had mine for a couple of years now, and it is not worth anything less than i have put into it, it is worth more, not great amounts, but for the small amount of time i have in it, it has kept its own. I hope that it at least produces at the same rate it has since i have been putting away, because in another 10 yrs or so when i retire, it should be worth some money. But with that said, please don't let the TSP be your only source of savings, you should put into another form of investment if you want to retire from the armed forces and have a somewhat not so crappy retirement.

Our retirement checks, plus TSP, plus your own form of retirement funds, and probably some form of disability, should be decent enough(although probably quite small) to keep you from falling behind with a decent job when you get out, or at least be enough to cover the extra taxes you will be getting charged from landing a good job. 2 cents, and sorry for the long post.
Old 10-11-2009, 05:44 PM   #7
Reaper
09 Redneck is a jewel in the rough09 Redneck is a jewel in the rough09 Redneck is a jewel in the rough
09 Redneck's Tacoma Gallery
Been putting into mine for 20 years. Dont really have to worry about my future now. Have it all in the stock market. Yea I loose money some months but I make alot more in the long run.
Very good way to save and make money. Very usefull too if things come up. U pay urself back when you borrow money from it...
Old 10-11-2009, 06:07 PM   #8
Sticks For Troops

I have mine split up between F, C, I & S funds..
Old 10-11-2009, 06:10 PM   #9
JeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shed

JeffRock's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 09AFTacoma View Post
Yea that is true.. I just dont like how I have put in $6700 over the past 3 years and its only worth $5900.. Ive lost 12% over the long run soo far
You haven't lost anything, unless you pull out. When the stock market comes back up, It'll grow faster! And the point is retirement is a long ways away. So you will gain in the end.