LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Military

Notices

Joining the Air Force

Old 10-19-2009, 10:38 AM   #1
Ka-freakin'-BOOM!
fghtngsquirrel is one of the sharper tools in the shedfghtngsquirrel is one of the sharper tools in the shedfghtngsquirrel is one of the sharper tools in the shedfghtngsquirrel is one of the sharper tools in the shedfghtngsquirrel is one of the sharper tools in the shedfghtngsquirrel is one of the sharper tools in the shedfghtngsquirrel is one of the sharper tools in the shedfghtngsquirrel is one of the sharper tools in the shedfghtngsquirrel is one of the sharper tools in the shedfghtngsquirrel is one of the sharper tools in the shedfghtngsquirrel is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
fghtngsquirrel's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to fghtngsquirrel
Smile Joining the Air Force

Well I've always wanted to join the Air Force, but have let girlfriends and other stuff get in the way. Fuggit!

At the beginning of this year, I went and talked with a recruiter, but I wasn't able to join right away. They gave me a practice ASVAB, and they seemed quite impressed with my score. I've slowly been working on a 4-year degree, but I have my A.A. and I'm an Eagle Scout.

My (new) girlfriend is all about supporting me in whatever I want to do. It looks like the Reserves would suit me best for where I'm at in life. The girlfriend graduates in May, and I don't want to miss that, so should I hold off until after that to visit the recruiter again? I was told that out of boot camp I would be an E-3 or E-4 based on my Eagle Scout rank and my college... is that correct?

Any Air Force guys in Florida, do you know where I would have to travel for my service weekends?

Any feedback would be great! Thanks and God Bless America
Old 10-19-2009, 10:42 AM   #2
NAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed
NAAC3TACO's Tacoma Gallery
Thankyou for your service. It sounds like you've got your life in order. Congrats and good luck!
Old 10-19-2009, 10:44 AM   #3
BlancoTaco08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlancoTaco08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlancoTaco08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlancoTaco08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlancoTaco08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlancoTaco08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlancoTaco08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlancoTaco08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlancoTaco08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlancoTaco08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlancoTaco08 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BlancoTaco08's Tacoma Gallery
What do you want to do in the AF??? Depending on what you want to do in the AF you might be able to leave soon and still make it back in time for May.

I'm not sure what rank you will be given after basic training with your scout experience but it won't be more than E-3.
Old 10-19-2009, 10:46 AM   #4
YodaMedic has much to be proud ofYodaMedic has much to be proud ofYodaMedic has much to be proud ofYodaMedic has much to be proud ofYodaMedic has much to be proud ofYodaMedic has much to be proud ofYodaMedic has much to be proud ofYodaMedic has much to be proud ofYodaMedic has much to be proud of
Air Force: Medic
YodaMedic's Tacoma Gallery
Right on man, BMT is going to be a good time. ...(not really it sucks) Eagle Scout gives you E-2, I am also an Eagle Scout. And in the Reserves you are practically given E-3 and E-4 so don't sign up for a long contract if you don't have to! What job you looking at? I am a medic 4NO51 in Afghanistan right now.
Old 10-19-2009, 10:47 AM   #5
Ka-freakin'-BOOM!
fghtngsquirrel is one of the sharper tools in the shedfghtngsquirrel is one of the sharper tools in the shedfghtngsquirrel is one of the sharper tools in the shedfghtngsquirrel is one of the sharper tools in the shedfghtngsquirrel is one of the sharper tools in the shedfghtngsquirrel is one of the sharper tools in the shedfghtngsquirrel is one of the sharper tools in the shedfghtngsquirrel is one of the sharper tools in the shedfghtngsquirrel is one of the sharper tools in the shedfghtngsquirrel is one of the sharper tools in the shedfghtngsquirrel is one of the sharper tools in the shed

I was looking into air traffic or something with communications, as I currently am a 911 dispatcher... love the radio! However, I'd also like to work on birds or something outdoors...
Old 10-19-2009, 11:47 AM   #6
07_Tundra is on a distinguished road
Army: 31F
07_Tundra's Tacoma Gallery
^^^MOS 31F (Army), Network System Operator would be right up your alley. That was my MOS when I was in the Army. I worked on radios, phone, computers, etc. We trained side by side with AF personal at Fort Gordon GA. Good luck man!
Old 10-19-2009, 11:53 AM   #7
Join the NRA! Protect your freedom!
NraFan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNraFan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNraFan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNraFan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNraFan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNraFan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNraFan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNraFan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNraFan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNraFan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNraFan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: JT
NraFan's Tacoma Gallery
Air force? Really? Hmmm... is your tacoma pink? Cuz that would sense. Seriously though, Air Force should treat you right. Finish your college. Go in as an Officer. Make better dough and get treated better. Whatever you decide, make sure it's a choice for you. Dont let others determine your life. Sounds like you are on the right track. Good luck and best wishes!

P.S. Dont get all pissy flyboys, just a little humor. We all do all our part.
Old 10-19-2009, 11:58 AM   #8
08WhiteTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed08WhiteTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed08WhiteTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed08WhiteTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed08WhiteTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed08WhiteTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed08WhiteTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed08WhiteTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed08WhiteTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed08WhiteTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed08WhiteTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force:
Name: Ben
08WhiteTRD's Tacoma Gallery
I would say that you should go with either the air traffic or the comm stiff. If you want to work on the birds then your going to work long hours. I know some crew chiefs and they will often work 12-16 hours on job. Air traffic and comm will give you a better job when you get out.
Old 10-19-2009, 12:12 PM   #9
Rich Beauregard is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich Beauregard is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich Beauregard is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich Beauregard is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich Beauregard is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich Beauregard is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich Beauregard is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich Beauregard is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich Beauregard is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich Beauregard is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich Beauregard is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy:
Rich Beauregard's Tacoma Gallery
Go as an Officer! Check into it at least. Don't get me wrong, I was navy enlisted, and I'd do it again if I had to. My brother did college and was Officer in the navy. Treated great and made good money. You should check into it.
Old 10-19-2009, 12:24 PM   #10
Stayed Up Too Late
Untamed_SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedUntamed_SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedUntamed_SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedUntamed_SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedUntamed_SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedUntamed_SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedUntamed_SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedUntamed_SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedUntamed_SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedUntamed_SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedUntamed_SS is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: 0311-Bravo 1/23 4th Mar. Div. Reserves
Name: Adam
Untamed_SS's Tacoma Gallery
Like others are saying, check out the officer route before you make a decision. I'm pretty sure they make a little bit more money. And as stated, get treated better.

Do what makes you happy though man. Thanks!
Old 10-19-2009, 12:24 PM   #11
Ka-freakin'-BOOM!

I've definitely considered the Officer route, but the Reserves will allow me to keep my current job with the State of Florida, one that is very secure. I can build up state retirement hours, serve my country, and stay close to my parents as they will be nearing their 70's in a few years. I also work for a University, so I get two free college classes a semester.

Hopefully this gives a little more insight as to my situation... I want to carry the title of Eagle Scout and Veteran, two goals in my life.
Old 10-19-2009, 12:31 PM   #12
HOME!!!
solus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: LT, USN
Name: Mark
solus's Tacoma Gallery
wow, I'm sorry
Old 10-19-2009, 12:34 PM   #13
Reagan/Bush '84
Colton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Dependant  (Father had 24 yrs on the Eisenhower, Ordinance Officer)
Name: Colton
Colton's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by NraFan View Post
Air force? Really? Hmmm... is your tacoma pink? Cuz that would sense. Seriously though, Air Force should treat you right. Finish your college. Go in as an Officer. Make better dough and get treated better. Whatever you decide, make sure it's a choice for you. Dont let others determine your life. Sounds like you are on the right track. Good luck and best wishes!

P.S. Dont get all pissy flyboys, just a little humor. We all do all our part.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Beauregard View Post
Go as an Officer! Check into it at least. Don't get me wrong, I was navy enlisted, and I'd do it again if I had to. My brother did college and was Officer in the navy. Treated great and made good money. You should check into it.
Completely agree with both! Go in as an Officer. The difference is night and day as far as how you are treated and pay wise...
Old 10-19-2009, 12:41 PM   #14
jalers is on a distinguished road
Air Force: SSgt, Jet Engine Mechanic
jalers's Tacoma Gallery
There is a bonus if you in to ATC, but I think that is just for active. Yes, go in as a officer good money there.
Old 10-19-2009, 12:42 PM   #15
Join the NRA! Protect your freedom!
NraFan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNraFan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNraFan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNraFan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNraFan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNraFan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNraFan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNraFan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNraFan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNraFan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNraFan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: JT
NraFan's Tacoma Gallery
I see where you are coming from. If you arent looking to make a career out of it, then the reserves is cool. It sounds like you have a good plan. Stick with the state job. Finish college. And do the reserves. After you finish college, maybe you can then consider the Air Force as a career. Like I said, sounds like you have things pretty figured out. Just work hard and do well in school, you should be set. Best of luck!!
Old 10-19-2009, 12:44 PM   #16
Reagan/Bush '84
Colton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Dependant  (Father had 24 yrs on the Eisenhower, Ordinance Officer)
Name: Colton
Colton's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by NraFan View Post
I see where you are coming from. If you arent looking to make a career out of it, then the reserves is cool. It sounds like you have a good plan. Stick with the state job. Finish college. And do the reserves. After you finish college, maybe you can then consider the Air Force as a career. Like I said, sounds like you have things pretty figured out. Just work hard and do well in school, you should be set. Best of luck!!
Great info Nra.
Old 10-20-2009, 03:20 AM   #17
Sometimes I drink water...
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: TSgt/E6, 3D172, Cyber Transport, NC Air Guard and prior AD
Name: Jamie
jhodge83's Tacoma Gallery
check into AFSC 3D1x2...it will be changing Nov 1st from 3C2x1...Tech control/network intrastructure. i do it in the guard now and it will teach some great trades in the comm world. switches/routers/encryption/voip/etc....lemme know if you wanna know more about it.

Air Guard FTW!!!
Old 10-20-2009, 10:35 AM   #18
Ka-freakin'-BOOM!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhodge83 View Post
check into AFSC 3D1x2...it will be changing Nov 1st from 3C2x1...Tech control/network intrastructure. i do it in the guard now and it will teach some great trades in the comm world. switches/routers/encryption/voip/etc....lemme know if you wanna know more about it.

Air Guard FTW!!!
This sounds right up my alley! I'm assuming you go to school to learn the specifics?

Thanks everyone
Old 10-20-2009, 11:09 AM   #19
Motivator
YayAreaTaco0311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYayAreaTaco0311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYayAreaTaco0311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYayAreaTaco0311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYayAreaTaco0311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYayAreaTaco0311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYayAreaTaco0311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYayAreaTaco0311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYayAreaTaco0311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYayAreaTaco0311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYayAreaTaco0311 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: Police Caller
YayAreaTaco0311's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by fghtngsquirrel View Post
This sounds right up my alley! I'm assuming you go to school to learn the specifics?

Thanks everyone
Maybe you would like to become a police officer someday?

If so, you could check out the MOS Security Forces a.k.a. military police.

Or you could join the Marine Reserves... lol j/k It's up to you!

Eagle Scout = automatic E-2.

Remember to make sure you know what you're getting in your contract and your enlistment time before signing anything.

Good luck and I'll see you out there someday.

Semper fi,
-yayareataco0311
Old 10-20-2009, 12:18 PM   #20
Ka-freakin'-BOOM!

MP is also something I have considered... I guess it will really come down to the best job I can get to suit me (obviously, I know). I have considered the Marines as well! I love the Air Force, but the Marines is my second option... what I love or hardcore badass basically lol.