Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Military

Notices

Coast Guard Role Call

Old 01-24-2013, 03:46 PM   #361
Sabre is one of the sharper tools in the shedSabre is one of the sharper tools in the shedSabre is one of the sharper tools in the shedSabre is one of the sharper tools in the shedSabre is one of the sharper tools in the shedSabre is one of the sharper tools in the shedSabre is one of the sharper tools in the shedSabre is one of the sharper tools in the shedSabre is one of the sharper tools in the shedSabre is one of the sharper tools in the shedSabre is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: FN
Name: Kyle
Sabre's Tacoma Gallery
FN is wayyy better
Old 01-25-2013, 01:42 AM   #363
Sabre is one of the sharper tools in the shedSabre is one of the sharper tools in the shedSabre is one of the sharper tools in the shedSabre is one of the sharper tools in the shedSabre is one of the sharper tools in the shedSabre is one of the sharper tools in the shedSabre is one of the sharper tools in the shedSabre is one of the sharper tools in the shedSabre is one of the sharper tools in the shedSabre is one of the sharper tools in the shedSabre is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Sabre's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 757 Taco View Post
Originally I was thinking bm but not so sure about that anymore. Looking at os and mk
os is like one of the fastest A schools right now youll be a 3rd super quick

mk is a good rate i was thinking about it for awhile
Old 01-25-2013, 02:18 AM   #364
SportyHeretic is on a distinguished road

Coast Guard: Electronic Warfare
Name: Jeremy
SportyHeretic's Tacoma Gallery
2005-BootCamp
2006-2007 CGC Polar Sea, Seattle(And FN is better)
2007-ET A-School, Petaluma
2008-2010-ESD Cape Cod
2011-CIWS C-School, San Diego
2011-Present CGC Stratton, Alameda
Old 01-25-2013, 06:04 AM   #365
The TW 1%
ForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Coast Guard: Chief Petty Officer, ITC
Name: Drunken Sailor
ForeRunner's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyHeretic View Post
2005-BootCamp
2008-2010-ESD Cape Cod
I'm going to presume you were on duty Wednesday. Saw your truck behind my 4Runner Wednesday and it was still there yesterday morning.
Old 01-25-2013, 06:11 AM   #366
The TW 1%
ForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Coast Guard: Chief Petty Officer, ITC
Name: Drunken Sailor
ForeRunner's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 757 Taco View Post
Originally I was thinking bm but not so sure about that anymore. Looking at os and mk
DO NOT GO OS!!!!

MK is a decent rate to go and there are a crap ton of them and BM's in the CG.

Completely depends on what you really want to do and if you want to learn a trade that you can take to the outside. MK is good and you'll get a lot of opportunities for training (diesel, AC&R, boilers, RO's). Aviation is also good and you'll get to go flying.

I'm an IT (former TT) and have had a slew of schools (Cisco, Nortel, Bicsi, Sec+, A+ and soon Avaya).
Old 01-25-2013, 11:55 AM   #368

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeRunner View Post
I'm going to presume you were on duty Wednesday. Saw your truck behind my 4Runner Wednesday and it was still there yesterday morning.
I was on duty Wednesday and Thursday. got the hole weekend off, hopefully Hollister will be fun.
Old 01-25-2013, 02:44 PM   #369
KodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
KodiakToyTRD's Tacoma Gallery
I would agree MK is pretty awesome, but I went BM because of the out of rate job I wanted, and got.

Old 01-28-2013, 06:34 AM   #370
Long time lurker, first time poster.
Nirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: Snipe
Name: Kris
Nirvana's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodiakToyTRD View Post
I would agree MK is pretty awesome, but I went BM because of the out of rate job I wanted, and got.

Don't patronize us, BM!

1. Be operational

2. Do something that can get you some sort of job out of the CG (AKA don't go HS unless you want to go the full 20)

3. Put in for PATFORSWA

4. PROFIT!!1!
Old 01-28-2013, 07:00 AM   #371

Sabre's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
2005-BootCamp
2008-2010-ESD Cape Cod
Nice in a fn in the polar star right now
Old 01-28-2013, 04:28 PM   #372

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabre View Post
Nice in a fn in the polar star right now
enjoy it, some of the best years i had in so far. i did get to leave the pier though, are y'all rebuilt yet?
Old 01-28-2013, 07:35 PM   #373

Sabre's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
enjoy it, some of the best years i had in so far. i did get to leave the pier though, are y'all rebuilt yet?

you did a south pat right?
Old 01-28-2013, 08:51 PM   #374

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabre View Post
yea we are back at the base now just had a 3 day sea trials in jan we have a 2 week one in april, ice trails for 2 months this summer and antartica south pat this november according to the schedule

you did a south pat right?
Yup, did a 2 month shakedown up north, and did almost a 6 month south patrol. Well worth being a non rate for 1.5 years.
Old 02-12-2013, 07:43 PM   #375
kbauman92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkbauman92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkbauman92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkbauman92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkbauman92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkbauman92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkbauman92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkbauman92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkbauman92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkbauman92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkbauman92 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

kbauman92's Tacoma Gallery
so im not sure if this is the right thread but right now im about to complete my freshman year at Montana state university, and i don't know what i want to do yet. My friend joined the Coast Guard right after high school and he seems to really like it, i'm interested in it and could see myself getting into the service, I was wondering how you got started and what are you opinions on the coast guard, sorry to jam up a thread but any opinions would be awesome

Thanks
Old 02-13-2013, 12:33 PM   #376
StormTrooper
757 Taco has a brilliant future757 Taco has a brilliant future757 Taco has a brilliant future757 Taco has a brilliant future757 Taco has a brilliant future757 Taco has a brilliant future757 Taco has a brilliant future757 Taco has a brilliant future757 Taco has a brilliant future757 Taco has a brilliant future757 Taco has a brilliant future

Coast Guard: BM3 - Station New Haven, CT
Name: Tyler
757 Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbauman92 View Post
so im not sure if this is the right thread but right now im about to complete my freshman year at Montana state university, and i don't know what i want to do yet. My friend joined the Coast Guard right after high school and he seems to really like it, i'm interested in it and could see myself getting into the service, I was wondering how you got started and what are you opinions on the coast guard, sorry to jam up a thread but any opinions would be awesome

Thanks
I think im definitely one of the newest coasties here so heres what i have to say. first off its really tough to get in and also takes a while. boot camp wasnt terrible but itll definitely challenge you. the wait for schools to become rated is extremely long and most likely i will be a non rate for several years. its a great job with benefits and you can advance eventually. some of the more senior guys can probably take it over from here.
Old 02-13-2013, 02:45 PM   #377
USCG CWO is on a distinguished road

Coast Guard: CWO3
Name: Shane
USCG CWO's Tacoma Gallery
First of all Go Bobcats!! Second I joined right after graduating Great Falls High School in 89. 23 years and I'm still going. I have enjoyed my time in and look forward to the next couple before hanging it up. Definitely worth looking into. We are down sizing and in an economic crunch budget wise so the best thing you can do is find the local recruiter and talk to them. Used to be in Helena not sure if they are still there.
Old 02-13-2013, 02:52 PM   #378
wannaflyguy is on a distinguished road

Coast Guard: EM2
Name: Stephen
wannaflyguy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
2005-BootCamp
2008-2010-ESD Cape Cod
How do you like the NSC? Im going to the Bertholf in July...

I've also been to:

ANT South Portland, Maine
Sector Northern New England Engineering
EM "A"School
CGC Forward
Old 02-13-2013, 03:32 PM   #379

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannaflyguy View Post
How do you like the NSC? Im going to the Bertholf in July...

I've also been to:

ANT South Portland, Maine
Sector Northern New England Engineering
EM "A"School
CGC Forward
The NSCs can be nice. they are still new and are still getting upgrades to certain areas of the ship. It is possible to go to a lot of cool places(my boat hasn't, but the other two have been around) The NSCs have better living situations compared to the 378s and 270s, like 6 man berthings for the most part, head for each. Shop sizes are a little small. Our EMs haven't complained too much about anything. We had problems with one of our generators for a bit and the crane system on the fantail is always messed up, but were removing that in a year or so. I wouldn't recommend commissioning one of these though. I will not ask to do that again.
Old 02-13-2013, 03:36 PM   #380

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbauman92 View Post

Thanks
If i was you id try to get accepted into the academy, that route would be easier and more beneficial currently in my eyes.