Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Military

Notices

Coast Guard Role Call

Old 02-13-2013, 03:36 PM   #381
wannaflyguy is on a distinguished road

Coast Guard: EM2
Name: Stephen
wannaflyguy's Tacoma Gallery
For the most part(other than long patrols) I haven't heard many bad things about these...I cant wait to get out there! For the boat and the area...
Old 02-13-2013, 04:02 PM   #382
kbauman92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkbauman92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkbauman92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkbauman92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkbauman92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkbauman92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkbauman92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkbauman92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkbauman92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkbauman92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkbauman92 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kyle
kbauman92's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 757 Taco View Post
I think im definitely one of the newest coasties here so heres what i have to say. first off its really tough to get in and also takes a while. boot camp wasnt terrible but itll definitely challenge you. the wait for schools to become rated is extremely long and most likely i will be a non rate for several years. its a great job with benefits and you can advance eventually. some of the more senior guys can probably take it over from here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by USCG CWO View Post
First of all Go Bobcats!! Second I joined right after graduating Great Falls High School in 89. 23 years and I'm still going. I have enjoyed my time in and look forward to the next couple before hanging it up. Definitely worth looking into. We are down sizing and in an economic crunch budget wise so the best thing you can do is find the local recruiter and talk to them. Used to be in Helena not sure if they are still there.
I love MSU! but im not sure if want to continue going or not

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyHeretic View Post
If i was you id try to get accepted into the academy, that route would be easier and more beneficial currently in my eyes.
Thanks for the insight!, im gonna talk to my friend who joined right after graduating tonight and see what he says about it
Old 02-13-2013, 06:02 PM   #384
Housework can't kill you, but why take a chance?
Doc4216 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc4216 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc4216 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc4216 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc4216 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc4216 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc4216 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc4216 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc4216 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc4216 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc4216 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard:
Doc4216's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbauman92 View Post
I love MSU! but im not sure if want to continue going or not

Thanks for the insight!, im gonna talk to my friend who joined right after graduating tonight and see what he says about it
Just remember that every Coastie has had a completely different experience so talk to a bunch of people and take everything in. Most everyone loves and hates something about their job.
Old 02-13-2013, 06:11 PM   #385
Aerial Tacoma is a splendid one to beholdAerial Tacoma is a splendid one to beholdAerial Tacoma is a splendid one to beholdAerial Tacoma is a splendid one to beholdAerial Tacoma is a splendid one to beholdAerial Tacoma is a splendid one to beholdAerial Tacoma is a splendid one to behold
Coast Guard: Flight Mech
Name: Andre
Aerial Tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc4216 View Post
Just remember that every Coastie has had a completely different experience so talk to a bunch of people and take everything in. Most everyone loves and hates something about their job.
+1
Old 02-13-2013, 06:26 PM   #386
kbauman92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkbauman92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkbauman92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkbauman92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkbauman92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkbauman92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkbauman92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkbauman92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkbauman92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkbauman92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkbauman92 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kyle
kbauman92's Tacoma Gallery
What do all of you guys do in the coast guard?

like what part or branch and what you do day to day?
Old 02-13-2013, 07:18 PM   #387
KodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
KodiakToyTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

I was a BM (Boatswains Mate) and I was out of rate as a base security unit member. This was from Oct 2008-Jun 2011. I went out of rate for one reason only, and that was to get the training I wanted to put on a resume for a police job. And I got it all.

When I first joined, I went to an 87 ft patrol boat, and worked as an FN and an SN. We did a lot of SAR and LE boarding's. I started to get the small boat coxswain but transferred out to BM "A" School before I finished that.
Old 02-14-2013, 01:30 AM   #388
Very nice how much?
Forster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Firefighter/EMT
Name: Nick
Forster46's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to Forster46
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodiakToyTRD View Post
I was a BM (Boatswains Mate) and I was out of rate as a base security unit member. This was from Oct 2008-Jun 2011. I went out of rate for one reason only, and that was to get the training I wanted to put on a resume for a police job. And I got it all.

When I first joined, I went to an 87 ft patrol boat, and worked as an FN and an SN. We did a lot of SAR and LE boarding's. I started to get the small boat coxswain but transferred out to BM "A" School before I finished that.
What is an FN and SN, and BM A school? I know of a few ratings but not very many. I have been looking into joining the military for a long time and the coast guard has always been at the top of my list. Just deciding if it's what I want to do and what I would want to do in the coast guard.
Old 02-14-2013, 04:56 AM   #389
abides.
Brunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: LT- CG MH-65C/D Driver- CGAS NOLA
Name: Mark
Brunes's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Brunes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forster46 View Post
What is an FN and SN, and BM A school? I know of a few ratings but not very many. I have been looking into joining the military for a long time and the coast guard has always been at the top of my list. Just deciding if it's what I want to do and what I would want to do in the coast guard.
SN is a Seaman - Junior Enlisted (E2/3) working in anything but engineering or aviation. FN is a Fireman - Junior Enlisted (E-2/3) working in the engineering.

BM A-School is the training you go to in order to learn everything a brand new boatswains mate needs to know.
Old 02-14-2013, 02:30 PM   #390
SportyHeretic is on a distinguished road

Coast Guard: Electronic Warfare
Name: Jeremy
SportyHeretic's Tacoma Gallery
http://www.gocoastguard.com/
That has a ton of info. if you have any specific questions feel free to ask.
Old 02-14-2013, 06:30 PM   #391
KodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
KodiakToyTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunes View Post
SN is a Seaman - Junior Enlisted (E2/3) working in anything but engineering or aviation. FN is a Fireman - Junior Enlisted (E-2/3) working in the engineering.

BM A-School is the training you go to in order to learn everything a brand new boatswains mate needs to know.
Knot tying, charting and boat driving school. With some painting and flag signals mixed in...and some other extracurricular activities...Norfolk.

Old 02-14-2013, 06:37 PM   #392
Aerial Tacoma is a splendid one to beholdAerial Tacoma is a splendid one to beholdAerial Tacoma is a splendid one to beholdAerial Tacoma is a splendid one to beholdAerial Tacoma is a splendid one to beholdAerial Tacoma is a splendid one to beholdAerial Tacoma is a splendid one to behold
Coast Guard: Flight Mech
Name: Andre
Aerial Tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

I am AET, avionics electrical technician, I work on all wiring and electrical components on an MH60T and also a qualified flight mechanic which is a duty standing qualification for search and rescue operations to deploy and recover rescue swimmers and survivors. Lot more goes with the job but that's the main part.
Old 02-14-2013, 08:31 PM   #393
The TW 1%
ForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Coast Guard: Chief Petty Officer, ITC
Name: Drunken Sailor
ForeRunner's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

I'm an IT (former "TT" Telephone Technician). We maintain the servers, workstations, telephone systems, network switches, routers and cabling infrastructure to name a few.

When you ask "what branch" there is no branch within the USCG, it's the United States Coast Guard and we fall under the Department of Homeland Security. The USCG is the only branch of the Military that practices Law Enforcement and is exempt from the Posse Comitatus act.
Old 02-14-2013, 11:26 PM   #394
Very nice how much?
Forster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

I was looking in security, like boat security for ports and whatnot, and firefighting. I looked into naval firefighting as well. I also read that the minimum enlistment contract for the CG is 8 years, with few exceptions for any shorter ones, is this true?
Old 02-14-2013, 11:27 PM   #395
Very nice how much?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyHeretic View Post
http://www.gocoastguard.com/
That has a ton of info. if you have any specific questions feel free to ask.
I have been reading all over this site and had tons of questions answered already. Coast Guard is something that has always grabbed my interest more than any other branch.
Old 02-15-2013, 05:48 AM   #397
MRies717 is on a distinguished road

Coast Guard: Bos'n Mate
Name: Matt
MRies717's Tacoma Gallery
When you enlist in any service. It is for 8 years. 4 years active duty and 4 years inactive reserve. Which means they only activate you if your needed.
I am a BM2 and I love it. Been a coxn for 4 years now and there's nothing like running a good SAR case and doing boardings. Currently stationed at the MSST in Seattle which isn't bad. We do a lot of security and get excellent training.
I tell everyone to go BM. But the great thing about the CG is, after boot camp when you head to the fleet as a FN or SN you get to see exactly what every rate does before making the decision to put your name on the A-school list.
Old 02-15-2013, 08:31 AM   #398
Very nice how much?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRies717 View Post
When you enlist in any service. It is for 8 years. 4 years active duty and 4 years inactive reserve. Which means they only activate you if your needed.
I am a BM2 and I love it. Been a coxn for 4 years now and there's nothing like running a good SAR case and doing boardings. Currently stationed at the MSST in Seattle which isn't bad. We do a lot of security and get excellent training.
I tell everyone to go BM. But the great thing about the CG is, after boot camp when you head to the fleet as a FN or SN you get to see exactly what every rate does before making the decision to put your name on the A-school list.
I was looking at BM as a job after I figured out what it was, which is basically what I wanted to do. I was gonna talk to a recruiter to figure out specifics between each one. So when you join you get put in as an FN or SN then you choose later?

I wasn't aware that everyone signs for _ active and 4 inactive. I know reserve units still get called up to deploy pretty frequently with every other branch but I don't know as much about the CG.
Old 02-15-2013, 08:59 AM   #399
Mr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: Active MK 02-09, ME 09-10, Reserve ME 10-11, LTJG 11-Current.  Federal Civilian 10-Current
Mr. Brown's Tacoma Gallery
Inactive reserve is different than the regular reserve you are thinking about. It basically means that you don't have to do any thing for the Coast Guard after your initial tour is over. However, if another war started up, they reserve the right to call you back to active duty for the next four years. It doesn't happen very often... That I know of.
Old 02-15-2013, 02:51 PM   #400
Very nice how much?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Brown View Post
Inactive reserve is different than the regular reserve you are thinking about. It basically means that you don't have to do any thing for the Coast Guard after your initial tour is over. However, if another war started up, they reserve the right to call you back to active duty for the next four years. It doesn't happen very often... That I know of.
Oh that makes sense, that was my bad. I misunderstood.