Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Military

Notices

Coast Guard Role Call

Old 05-09-2013, 05:12 PM   #442
SportyHeretic is on a distinguished road

Coast Guard: Electronic Warfare
Name: Jeremy
SportyHeretic's Tacoma Gallery
Id be happy to get 50%. There were some real specific questions on my test, that i didn't even think about studying for. But we shall see in a few weeks how we all did.
Old 05-10-2013, 07:51 PM   #443
MRies717 is on a distinguished road

Coast Guard: Bos'n Mate
Name: Matt
MRies717's Tacoma Gallery
Thank god the SWE is over for know. Anyone else test for BM1? I feel good about it. But could be a bad sign that I was laughing at some of the questions cause for once I knew my answers were right.
They actually had a Burt and Ernie question on the test. Very last question of EPME...it was about why their relationship was inappropriate.
Good luck to everyone who tested.
Old 05-10-2013, 08:37 PM   #444
The TW 1%
ForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Coast Guard: Chief Petty Officer, ITC
Name: Drunken Sailor
ForeRunner's Tacoma Gallery
Welp, got the CPOA out of the way so I just have to get my EPME test done and I can test for 8 next year!
Old 06-01-2013, 07:05 PM   #445
Bah Humshit!
brian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: Work and Fly on the Four Fans of Freedom
brian's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to brian
Bah, I still have to finish my pracs. I've been slacking in a bad way. At least I still have some sea time for when I test for 1st! Points should be stacking up
Old 06-12-2013, 07:32 AM   #446
chiz is on a distinguished road
Coast Guard:
Name: Craig
chiz's Tacoma Gallery
IT1

99 boot camp C155
99-00CGC Gallatin
2000 - TT A School
2000 - 2003 COMMSTA Boston
03 - 07 ESD St Petersburg
07 - 08 PATFORSWA
08 - 11 ESD Fort Macon
11 - now ICC
Old 06-14-2013, 06:43 AM   #448
Sabre is one of the sharper tools in the shedSabre is one of the sharper tools in the shedSabre is one of the sharper tools in the shedSabre is one of the sharper tools in the shedSabre is one of the sharper tools in the shedSabre is one of the sharper tools in the shedSabre is one of the sharper tools in the shedSabre is one of the sharper tools in the shedSabre is one of the sharper tools in the shedSabre is one of the sharper tools in the shedSabre is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: FN
Name: Kyle
Sabre's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 757 Taco View Post
I have a buddy who just got patforswa orders
Non rate?
Old 06-17-2013, 06:22 PM   #450
Sabre is one of the sharper tools in the shedSabre is one of the sharper tools in the shedSabre is one of the sharper tools in the shedSabre is one of the sharper tools in the shedSabre is one of the sharper tools in the shedSabre is one of the sharper tools in the shedSabre is one of the sharper tools in the shedSabre is one of the sharper tools in the shedSabre is one of the sharper tools in the shedSabre is one of the sharper tools in the shedSabre is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: FN
Name: Kyle
Sabre's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 757 Taco View Post
Yepp
That's means they cut orders for the last solicitation and I didn't get it lol bummer gonna apply again
Old 07-22-2013, 06:56 PM   #451
SDLiving is on a distinguished road
Coast Guard: MST2
Name: Jared
SDLiving's Tacoma Gallery
Active 4 years
Station Yankeetown, FL
Yorktown (MST A)
Sector Southeastern New England (Providence, RI)
Deep Water Horizon (Deployment)

Reserve 3 Years
Sector San Diego

Just finished my last drill. Off to South Dakota for work.
Old 08-12-2013, 09:44 PM   #452
brian65oh is on a distinguished road
Coast Guard: machinery technician
Name: Brian
brian65oh's Tacoma Gallery
hey everyone

thought i would drop on by and see whos in the area im at STA Sand Key FL, its great i really like it down here in D7, its a nice change from the D13 pacific north west.
Old 08-12-2013, 10:04 PM   #453
Coastie80 is on a distinguished road

Coast Guard: Machinery Technician USCG
Name: Kevin
Coastie80's Tacoma Gallery
FN

Station Apra Harbor, Guam

Taking the MK3 test again Friday, so we will see. If that doesn't happen then I should be in Yorktown for A school around the December time frame.
Old 08-14-2013, 11:28 AM   #454
BillE is on a distinguished road
Coast Guard:
Name: Bill
BillE's Tacoma Gallery
Salute Aft, Salute Quarter Deck, Request permission to come aboard.

Former Hooligan checking in. AG-1 (MST), '64>'77 (yea, I'm old), all in the 13th.

Just getting back to Toyotas (as soon as I can sell my 2500DH Chev) after a 20 year absence.

Semper Paratus

Bill
Old 08-14-2013, 05:14 PM   #455
I like to break shit!
fireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
fireturk41's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to fireturk41
i got some questions from yall!

In the USCG, as a reservist what exactly can you do?
on active duty how does your schedule work?
do you have any sayso in where you go or what you do for the CG?
how do you advance in ranks?
and is it hard going from reserve to active duty?
Old 08-14-2013, 06:54 PM   #456
abides.
Brunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: LT- CG MH-65C/D Driver- CGAS NOLA
Name: Mark
Brunes's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Brunes
Quote:
Originally Posted by fireturk41 View Post

As a reserve you do all the same things an active duty member would do, but on a reserve status (1 weekend, 2 weeks type thing). Some jobs are not open to reserves, some are primarily reserve jobs.
Active duty is a "full time" job. The day to day schedule is dependent on the type of unit and specialty you end up in.
You get to request where you want to go and what jobs you'd like, but your performance and the needs of the service are major factors n the process.
For enlisted, you have to have a certain amount of time at your current rank, then complete some practical exercises and pass a couple tests. The results from those along with a variety of input from your service record place you on a list in rank order and then they advance folks as needed. Officer promotions are based on time and performance evals.

Not sure about going reserve to AD - there are folks who have recently, but it depends on your specialty and what the service needs. Right now - They are looking to reduce overall numbers, so I would say that doesn't help your chances, but that is no way an official statement.
Old 08-14-2013, 06:59 PM   #457
I like to break shit!
fireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
fireturk41's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to fireturk41
last question i promise!

if you do reserve do you have to go AD at any point?
Old 08-17-2013, 07:35 AM   #459
Long time lurker, first time poster.
Nirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: Snipe
Name: Kris
Nirvana's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

As stated, any rate as well as the officer corps is open to reserves but check with your local recruiter to find out what is currently open. Gov. reduction is the name of the game right now so it's getting harder and harder to get it.

AD schedule depends on what unit you're at. Some jobs are 0700-1300, some are a 2 days on/2 off with rotating weekends, cutter duty is dependent on the amount of people qualified at any given time underway and in port.

Yes you have a say in where you go. You put in picks when you transfer but it ultimately comes down to what the service needs at that time. Even right now where I am with priority 1 and 2 picks the detailer will tell people to find a new spot-service needs first, as well as career advancement.

As far as doing what you want, yes. However, keep in mind that unless you come in through a direct petty officer program (which I doubt they do anymore) waiting for your rating "A" school or "striking" OTJ training will take you over a year in just about all circumstances.

Advancements are based on completing tasks related to your rate as well as Coast Guard history/policies and passing a test to be eligible for the exam that puts you against everyone else in your rate competing for the same pay grade during that time.

The most recent information I got on reserves was that they are trying to end Extended Active Duty for reservists while continuing or increasing other programs to utilize them in a more efficient manner than what they have been in the past. In most circumstances you can't expect someone who shows up 1 weekend a month/2 week a year to be anywhere near as qualified to do a job as the people that do it day in and day out. As a reservist you don't ever have to go AD. You request that unless we go into WW3 or something.

I probably went too deep on a couple but hopefully that summed most of it up. If you have anymore post them here or PM.
Old 08-17-2013, 09:28 AM   #460
Mr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: Active MK 02-09, ME 09-10, Reserve ME 10-11, ENS 11-Current.  Federal Civilian 10-Current
Mr. Brown's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
last question i promise!

if you do reserve do you have to go AD at any point?
It also depends on what unit you go to. If you go to a PSU, which a lot of reservists are getting sent to right now, they deploy about every 6 years.

Honestly, most of the guys I know want to go on 180-360 day orders at some point. Some of the solicitations they have are pretty awesome.