Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Military

Notices

Overseas' Cell Phones

Old 11-15-2009, 07:28 PM   #1
Rigger, Please
AFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: (2T2X1)Air Force Rigger
Name: "Butters"
AFButters's Tacoma Gallery
Overseas' Cell Phones

Does anyone know anything about cell phone services overseas.

Im PCSin to Germany, and trying to look at Cell phones/Plans... but the only sites I can find are in German, and its hard to figure out the average cost a month and the ability to call to the States, and the cost to call the states..
Old 11-15-2009, 07:29 PM   #2
Are these black helicopters for me?
Zombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AMMO (2W0)
Name: Kevin
Zombie Runner's Tacoma Gallery
get vonage. I used that in korea and it was great.
but when you order it, have it sent to someone in the states so you can get a stateside number, then have them forward it to you
Old 11-15-2009, 07:33 PM   #3
Rigger, Please
AFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shed

yea.. but what about making day to day calls for work stuff or calling the wife
Old 11-15-2009, 07:38 PM   #4
Zombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

i had it, $31 dollars after tax. idk about work calls but it was great for me calling back home. I think now they offer unlimited calls to a bunch of dif countries now, just go to their site and check it out.
Old 11-15-2009, 07:40 PM   #5

http://www.vonage.com/residential_ca..._calling_plans

they have cell phones now too, but idk how they work
Old 11-15-2009, 07:42 PM   #6
wo ai ni bao bei ^_^
blackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

blackhawke88's Tacoma Gallery
Get a local phone in Germany and link it to your skype account so when ppl call u on skype, it forwards the call to your phone. If you want to call ppl in the states, just use skype. Both my parents are in China and that's how I call them every day from Santa Clara, CA.
Old 11-15-2009, 07:45 PM   #7
Gone But Not Forgotten
ImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
Name: Susan
ImpulseRed008's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 09AFTacoma View Post
yea.. but what about making day to day calls for work stuff or calling the wife
They do have land lines... that's what they used before the invention of cell phones

Call your sponsor and ask him/her about the cell phones. He/she is already over there and should be able to let you know the situation. If you don't have one (sponsor), then get one.
Old 11-15-2009, 07:46 PM   #8
Rigger, Please

I use skype now.. but i still will need a cell phone so I can post in the upcoming thread TW Live Europe
Old 11-15-2009, 07:46 PM   #9
Rigger, Please

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImpulseRed008 View Post
They do have land lines... that's what they used before the invention of cell phones

Call your sponsor and ask him/her about the cell phones. He/she is already over there and should be able to let you know the situation. If you don't have one (sponsor), then get one.

I cant call Germany.. from home atleast, I cant make international calls
Old 11-15-2009, 08:03 PM   #10

if you have skype already then just stick with that untill you are able to get with someone over there and find out what your best option will be
Old 11-15-2009, 08:09 PM   #11
kvnhlstd has much to be proud ofkvnhlstd has much to be proud ofkvnhlstd has much to be proud ofkvnhlstd has much to be proud ofkvnhlstd has much to be proud ofkvnhlstd has much to be proud ofkvnhlstd has much to be proud ofkvnhlstd has much to be proud ofkvnhlstd has much to be proud ofkvnhlstd has much to be proud of

Air Force: MSgt // Security Forces   Retired after 22 yrs of service
kvnhlstd's Tacoma Gallery
You'll be able to buy a cell phone and plan from a kiosk in the BX area...
Old 11-15-2009, 08:10 PM   #12
MBU Ninja
Tat2dTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTat2dTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTat2dTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTat2dTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTat2dTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTat2dTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTat2dTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTat2dTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTat2dTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTat2dTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTat2dTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ricker
Tat2dTaco's Tacoma Gallery
T-mobile out there is really good, normally your looking at 30-100E a month depending on plan, or you can get a phone that you "load" prepaid cards onto. you can also get a better deal on base.

I used to live in Ramstein, so if have other questions i can try and help
Old 11-15-2009, 09:45 PM   #13
wo ai ni bao bei ^_^
blackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

blackhawke88's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dorifuto View Post
Hmm... I see a lot of people using skype or vonage. What about the SIM chip? Like, buy a phone that has a SIM chip slot, then buy a SIM chip with X amount of minutes and X amount of texts at a local cell shop. That's what I've used in the Philippines, New Zealand, Spain, Italy..etc.
Most US cell phones that take sim cards have to be unlocked to use another service (ie iPhones). What I do in China is buy a cheap phone and use the pay as you go sim cards they offer there, along with in most countries. For international calls, nothing beats skype. Pick one country and for $5 USD per month you get unlimited calls.
Old 11-16-2009, 10:28 AM   #14
Dark Lord of the Sith
wrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Tech Insp: 404 ASB/4th CAB
Name: Ryan Mathis
wrmathis's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via ICQ to wrmathis Send a message via Yahoo to wrmathis
im in germany now. well im in iraq now but im stationed in germany. i have a cell phone thats prepaid. i might spend 40 bucks a month on it. then i also have a land line for my internet threw TKS (on ppost internet and phone service) and i got free calls back to the states.
Old 11-16-2009, 10:32 AM   #15
jeremiekc is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeremiekc is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeremiekc is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeremiekc is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeremiekc is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeremiekc is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeremiekc is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeremiekc is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeremiekc is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeremiekc is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeremiekc is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Active Duty
Name: Jeremie
jeremiekc's Tacoma Gallery
Hey, just got to Europe on Friday and have started to check in. What I am finding out is that you can use your cell phone from the states as long as it has what they call GPMS or something like that. Just make sure that it is world wide compatible. There is TKS in all of the exchanges and I have seen that they have the best prices. Just take your phone from the states into them and they will put a European chip in and see if it works. Something that you want to do before you leave is to make sure that you have the unlock codes for your phone. Some of them have them some of them dont.