Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Military

Notices

might enlist in Marine Corps

Old 11-20-2009, 03:59 PM   #21
Taco... since '97
LB Taco has a brilliant futureLB Taco has a brilliant futureLB Taco has a brilliant futureLB Taco has a brilliant futureLB Taco has a brilliant futureLB Taco has a brilliant futureLB Taco has a brilliant futureLB Taco has a brilliant futureLB Taco has a brilliant futureLB Taco has a brilliant futureLB Taco has a brilliant future

Law Enforcement:
Name: J
LB Taco's Tacoma Gallery
My two cents:

seems like everyone is telling you to finish school and then go in as an officer.....but what is your long term plan??? If you are planning to stay in the marines for a while (beyond your first enlistment term) then going in as a grunt is not a bad idea. You will get more respect from guys you supervise by having been a grunt yourself and working your way up and going to OCS than enlisting as an officer.

whatever man....Good Luck!
Old 11-20-2009, 04:00 PM   #22
Don't buy a Ford
bishtacova is one of the sharper tools in the shedbishtacova is one of the sharper tools in the shedbishtacova is one of the sharper tools in the shedbishtacova is one of the sharper tools in the shedbishtacova is one of the sharper tools in the shedbishtacova is one of the sharper tools in the shedbishtacova is one of the sharper tools in the shedbishtacova is one of the sharper tools in the shedbishtacova is one of the sharper tools in the shedbishtacova is one of the sharper tools in the shedbishtacova is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 11B
bishtacova's Tacoma Gallery
I'm not sure your troops knowing you were enlisted goes very far. In fact, I've found they aren't always the strongest Platoon Leaders because they're stuck in the NCO world. The less they were out of my hair the better...But yes, there are some good enlisted routes out there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sobos_tacoma View Post
i would go enlisted first, then if you want to become an officer you have both sides and you will earn more respect with your boys. you will not only know what they are going through cause you were there once too, but you will learn a lot more of the basics. if you dont care about the money, flat black (enlisted), is the way to go. from enlisted there are so many different routes you can go. if you have any questions pm me.
Old 11-20-2009, 05:31 PM   #23
︻╦╤─
Doc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: HM1 (FMF/SW/AW)
Name: Frank
Doc.SS's Tacoma Gallery
I guess the point I want to get across is, finish school. If you really want to go into the military, do it. If you don't know what you want to do, the military has some great options to help you. Remember though, if you do go into the military, it's not something to take lightly and it isn't something you can quit because you want to. It is a commitment that requires your devotion. Not to just the job, but the people you'll serve with. They are your family whether or not you want them to be.
Old 11-20-2009, 06:41 PM   #24
If u cant stand behind our troops. Stand in front
imsikotic is one of the sharper tools in the shedimsikotic is one of the sharper tools in the shedimsikotic is one of the sharper tools in the shedimsikotic is one of the sharper tools in the shedimsikotic is one of the sharper tools in the shedimsikotic is one of the sharper tools in the shedimsikotic is one of the sharper tools in the shedimsikotic is one of the sharper tools in the shedimsikotic is one of the sharper tools in the shedimsikotic is one of the sharper tools in the shedimsikotic is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: VMFA-314 F/A-18 Fighter Jet Plane Captain and Mech.
Name: Randy
imsikotic's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc.SS View Post
I guess the point I want to get across is, finish school. If you really want to go into the military, do it. If you don't know what you want to do, the military has some great options to help you. Remember though, if you do go into the military, it's not something to take lightly and it isn't something you can quit because you want to. It is a commitment that requires your devotion. Not to just the job, but the people you'll serve with. They are your family whether or not you want them to be.
^^^^^^ What he Said
Old 11-20-2009, 10:37 PM   #25
Motivator
YayAreaTaco0311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYayAreaTaco0311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYayAreaTaco0311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYayAreaTaco0311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYayAreaTaco0311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYayAreaTaco0311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYayAreaTaco0311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYayAreaTaco0311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYayAreaTaco0311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYayAreaTaco0311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYayAreaTaco0311 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: Police Caller
YayAreaTaco0311's Tacoma Gallery
If I were in your shoes, I would finish school first and then decide to either go the enlisted route or the butter bar route.

You can enlist right now and join the reserves, too... That way you can still be in the military and goto school at the same time and maybe have a civilian career in mind if you desire to do so.

Semper Fi.
Old 11-21-2009, 09:38 AM   #26
YodaMedic has much to be proud ofYodaMedic has much to be proud ofYodaMedic has much to be proud ofYodaMedic has much to be proud ofYodaMedic has much to be proud ofYodaMedic has much to be proud ofYodaMedic has much to be proud ofYodaMedic has much to be proud ofYodaMedic has much to be proud of
Air Force: Medic
YodaMedic's Tacoma Gallery
Honestly dude, go officer. More respect, better treatment, better pay, better housing. I did a year of college and looking back it was a pretty good gig I had going , but I felt as you might college just wasn't what I wanted to do at the time so I enlisted as a medic (now in Afghanistan). You could do what I am doing and that is go to school while in the military, just knocking out 2 classes every 8 weeks online getting the best of both worlds...its free while you are active so why not?
Old 11-21-2009, 03:01 PM   #27
No Better Friend, No Worse Enemy
Teufel Hunden will become famous soon enoughTeufel Hunden will become famous soon enough

Marines: Sergeant, USMC, last unit: 3rd Batt./4th Mar., 7th Mar. Reg., 1st Mar. Div., Twentynine Palms, CA
Teufel Hunden's Tacoma Gallery
[quote=dtr_duck;1139991]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sobos_tacoma View Post
i would go enlisted first, then if you want to become an officer you have both sides and you will earn more respect with your boys. you will not only know what they are going through cause you were there once too, but you will learn a lot more of the basics. if you dont care about the money, flat black (enlisted), is the way to go. from enlisted there are so many different routes you can go. if you have any questions pm me.[/

agreed here there r already to many officers who have no clue of the lower enlisted and don't care to know even if you start enlisted you can always go warrent (at least in the army i don't know about the other branches)
I agree, go enlisted and then go officer. Whether it makes you a better officer or not, you will gain a lot of experience doing things that officers will never do. And the Marines also have a Warrant Officer program just like the Army.
Old 11-21-2009, 04:51 PM   #28
TheOtherGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheOtherGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheOtherGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheOtherGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheOtherGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheOtherGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheOtherGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheOtherGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheOtherGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheOtherGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheOtherGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army: 63B
TheOtherGuy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by YayAreaTaco0311 View Post

You can enlist right now and join the reserves, too... That way you can still be in the military and goto school at the same time and maybe have a civilian career in mind if you desire to do so.

Semper Fi.

This is a pretty good option. I enlisted in the Reserves and am using the G.I Bill for a mechanical engineering degree. When I graduate my options will be wide open; I can go to OCS or continue pursuing a career in the civilian world.

I know that in the Army you can get a "college first" addendum to your enlistment contract that will put you non-deployable for two years while you finish your degree program. Just make sure its in your contract. If you interested in this, ask your recruiter about it and make sure its in your contract.

I don't have the "college first" contract but I know it exist.
Old 11-21-2009, 05:22 PM   #29
DOERanger has much to be proud ofDOERanger has much to be proud ofDOERanger has much to be proud ofDOERanger has much to be proud ofDOERanger has much to be proud ofDOERanger has much to be proud ofDOERanger has much to be proud ofDOERanger has much to be proud ofDOERanger has much to be proud of

Army: Military Police
Name: Jordan
DOERanger's Tacoma Gallery
Don't let bravado lead your decision. Don't look at grunts and think automatic "badass." Don't look at officer and automatically think "smart" either. I've seen stupid dumb-asses in every rank and every position.
I can tell you that pounding the ground may give you a certain amount of camaraderie and respect, but 99.99% of the time it will erase a part of your brain. Trust me from experience and from every single one of my friends.
I can also tell you that officers deserve respect no matter if pre-enlisted or not, as long as they try to earn that respect at every turn. It's a thankless job and will earn you sneers, jeers, and lonely nights.
Beyond all finish school first, then make your decision. Learn all you can in school. The actually do teach you things there you can learn nowhere else.
Old 11-21-2009, 07:09 PM   #30
RussBow6 is on a distinguished road

Navy:
Name: Russ
RussBow6's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to RussBow6
your almost done with your degree. for that fact alone finish it. always finish what you start. if you quit on your degree now you might not ever go back.
Old 11-22-2009, 08:56 PM   #31
takern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: marine corps
Name: Tanner
takern's Tacoma Gallery
thanks for the advice everone. i do know that i will be in the military. its all i ever really wanted to do and i plan to do 20+ years and make it a career. the big debate for me right now is do i want to sit in an office and do paperwork but still be in charge and be responsible for the lives of everyone. i would like that challenge but i want to get out on the ground and do my own share of work. i am not sure of how much i can get with that being an officer. my dad did 24 years in the AF and retired a full bird col but after captain he did a lot more paperwork than flying.

If i enlist i can get out there and do the dirty work. My favorite thing to do is to go out camping/hunting for a week or two at a time and i always feel bad when i am not able to carry some of the weight. i feel like as an enlisted nco i would be more hands on and be able to carry more of the weight... idk. im gonna finish this year out for sure and then make a choice
Old 12-06-2009, 06:03 PM   #32
"Kill BABIES"
Re8elmonk0341 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRe8elmonk0341 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRe8elmonk0341 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRe8elmonk0341 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRe8elmonk0341 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRe8elmonk0341 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRe8elmonk0341 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRe8elmonk0341 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRe8elmonk0341 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRe8elmonk0341 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRe8elmonk0341 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: 3rd Bn 7th Marine Kilo Co. Weapons PLT - Infantry Mortarman
Name: m0nk
Re8elmonk0341's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah finish your degree and go the OCS whatever route and be a BOOT ass butter bar and try to boss NCO's around with all of you experience and leadership knowledge!!! I hear that all the time...."I want to be an officer so I can be a leader" well I'm a Sgt of INFANTRY Marines and what. I don't have any freakin leadership. NCO's is the back bone of the Corps. But that's just my uneducated no leadership having opinion 'cause I'm not an officer.
Old 12-06-2009, 06:09 PM   #33
"Kill BABIES"
Re8elmonk0341 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRe8elmonk0341 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRe8elmonk0341 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRe8elmonk0341 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRe8elmonk0341 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRe8elmonk0341 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRe8elmonk0341 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRe8elmonk0341 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRe8elmonk0341 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRe8elmonk0341 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRe8elmonk0341 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by YodaMedic View Post
Honestly dude, go officer. More respect, better treatment, better pay, better housing. I did a year of college and looking back it was a pretty good gig I had going , but I felt as you might college just wasn't what I wanted to do at the time so I enlisted as a medic (now in Afghanistan). You could do what I am doing and that is go to school while in the military, just knocking out 2 classes every 8 weeks online getting the best of both worlds...its free while you are active so why not?

Wow listen to him hahahah More respect....honestly I respect a LCpl (E3) thats been deployed a few times and maybe a fireteam leader then a fresh out of college office with no experience, Better treatment....I only sulate 'cause I have to. Better pay...so it's about the monry huh. Better housing...Barrack living with the guys I fight with is better IMO.
Old 12-06-2009, 09:31 PM   #34
Motivator
YayAreaTaco0311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYayAreaTaco0311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYayAreaTaco0311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYayAreaTaco0311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYayAreaTaco0311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYayAreaTaco0311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYayAreaTaco0311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYayAreaTaco0311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYayAreaTaco0311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYayAreaTaco0311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYayAreaTaco0311 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: Police Caller
YayAreaTaco0311's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Re8elmonk0341 View Post
Wow listen to him hahahah More respect....honestly I respect a LCpl (E3) thats been deployed a few times and maybe a fireteam leader then a fresh out of college office with no experience, Better treatment....I only sulate 'cause I have to. Better pay...so it's about the monry huh. Better housing...Barrack living with the guys I fight with is better IMO.
Don't make me get you online for police call...how about aye aye Lance Corporal, some shit like that...
Old 12-07-2009, 10:26 AM   #35
"Kill BABIES"

Quote:
Originally Posted by YayAreaTaco0311 View Post
Don't make me get you online for police call...how about aye aye Lance Corporal, some shit like that...

Lol...You mean Lance Criminal!!!
Old 12-07-2009, 10:29 AM   #36
"Mark It Zero"
Agent475 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent475 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent475 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent475 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent475 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent475 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent475 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent475 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent475 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent475 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent475 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: Sergeant, 0261
Agent475's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colton View Post
I'd go with Officer the first time... I'm sure you won't regret it. Since you're already in school, just finish it up and go in as a commissioned officer.
+1
Old 12-15-2009, 10:18 PM   #37
One shot is all I need
usmcgoose is a splendid one to beholdusmcgoose is a splendid one to beholdusmcgoose is a splendid one to beholdusmcgoose is a splendid one to beholdusmcgoose is a splendid one to beholdusmcgoose is a splendid one to behold

Marines: Armorer, Mechanic, Logistics
Name: Chris
usmcgoose's Tacoma Gallery
The best advice I would have for you is to enlist into the reserves while in school. It will award you the opportunity to finish your degree and use the GI bill to do so. With the new program under the GI Bill, reservist can obtain tuition assistance (they'll pay for it and give you living money).
Taking this route will give you an idea if it's right for you. You will get more respect as an officer being prior enlisted (there's a good cookie ribbon we look for). If you decide not to go officer and still finish the degree, it helps you when it comes to promotion boards.
My advice is to do this and finish your degree. If you decide it's not for you. Or your unit and career planner screw your career, you can find a job like I have working as a civilian Nuclear Engineer on Navy boats.
If you would like more information, I'm an open book. Just ask.
Old 12-15-2009, 10:42 PM   #38
Jedi7Taco is a glorious beacon of lightJedi7Taco is a glorious beacon of lightJedi7Taco is a glorious beacon of lightJedi7Taco is a glorious beacon of lightJedi7Taco is a glorious beacon of light

Marines: 0621 Field Radio Operator, Cpl
Name: Josh
Jedi7Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Re8elmonk0341 View Post
^x 100, I have been around plenty of butter bars that got know respect, enen a few captains, cause they never went to the field, always stayed in the rear with the gear. If I had to do it again I would have went enlisted, made it to Ssgt (E-6), then put in a warrant officer package, that is the best rank in military IMO. Best of both worlds, nobody fucks with you and you get mad respect for being prior enlisted and hard, (and pay is almost as good as officers).

Or you can do what I did, go in for four years (Field Radio Operator), get out, get a degree (Electronic Engineering), work in a resturant while attending school, fuck all the girls that work there over and over (life of a college waiter), become an EE now for the last 4 years, get married, and now trying to get back in as an officer, looking at the officer in air force or warrant officer in army (hopefully my fellow devil dogs don't flame the shit out if me). It would take me forever to make warrant in the corps at this point.
Old 12-15-2009, 10:49 PM   #39
One shot is all I need
usmcgoose is a splendid one to beholdusmcgoose is a splendid one to beholdusmcgoose is a splendid one to beholdusmcgoose is a splendid one to beholdusmcgoose is a splendid one to beholdusmcgoose is a splendid one to behold

Marines: Armorer, Mechanic, Logistics
Name: Chris
usmcgoose's Tacoma Gallery
That depends on what rank you were when you got out, status of record when you separated. The fact that you have a degree will only add to your chances. You only need to be an E-5 in order to submit a package for the WO program.

Just never forget your roots