Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Military

Notices

might enlist in Marine Corps

Old 11-19-2009, 05:05 PM   #1
takern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: marine corps
Name: Tanner
takern's Tacoma Gallery
might enlist in Marine Corps

So I'm a soph. in college and this past summer i went to a session of PLC (Platoon Leaders Course) for the Marine Corps. I never really thought about enlisting until then and had always planned to go the officer route. Now that I am back in school I am wondering if i really wanna be in college right now and am thinking that I want to go ahead and just enlist after this/next semester and go out and do something with my life. I know there is a lack of money compared to officer, but I wasnt doing it for the money in the first place so that is not really a big deal to me. Plus after meeting all my SI's i have so much respect for them and i want to be just like them. such bad asses and they all seemed really happy with their choice to enlist. plus if i enlist now i can use the GI bill and go back to college in a few years and finish up then go officer through OCS if i decide that is the route i wanna take. any opinions>?
Old 11-19-2009, 05:13 PM   #3
jrw1965 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrw1965 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrw1965 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrw1965 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrw1965 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrw1965 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrw1965 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrw1965 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrw1965 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrw1965 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrw1965 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force: Aircraft Maintenance
Name: John
jrw1965's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colton View Post
I'd go with Officer the first time... I'm sure you won't regret it. Since you're already in school, just finish it up and go in as a commissioned officer.
X2, However your idea of using the GI bill is a good one as well
Old 11-20-2009, 07:58 AM   #4
Notty has much to be proud ofNotty has much to be proud ofNotty has much to be proud ofNotty has much to be proud ofNotty has much to be proud ofNotty has much to be proud ofNotty has much to be proud ofNotty has much to be proud of

Army: 100% Disabled
Notty's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I'd go with Officer the first time... I'm sure you won't regret it. Since you're already in school, just finish it up and go in as a commissioned officer.
This x 100000000000000!!!!! Get your degree and get commisioned first!!!!
Old 11-20-2009, 08:09 AM   #5
Don't buy a Ford
bishtacova is one of the sharper tools in the shedbishtacova is one of the sharper tools in the shedbishtacova is one of the sharper tools in the shedbishtacova is one of the sharper tools in the shedbishtacova is one of the sharper tools in the shedbishtacova is one of the sharper tools in the shedbishtacova is one of the sharper tools in the shedbishtacova is one of the sharper tools in the shedbishtacova is one of the sharper tools in the shedbishtacova is one of the sharper tools in the shedbishtacova is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 11B
bishtacova's Tacoma Gallery
Finish your degree first, then decide if you are going to enlist or OCS, whatever branch you decide. If you are enlisted with a degree, you'll get more promotion points and if you are an officer, you'll be able to take advantage of further schooling such as grad school later on in your career. I was enlisted and had fun but going back to school later on sucks, and I did finish my degree on the GI Bill.
Old 11-20-2009, 08:19 AM   #6
︻╦╤─
Doc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: HM1 (FMF/SW/AW)
Name: Frank
Doc.SS's Tacoma Gallery
Very bad idea to go enlisted....you are in school now, stick it out and become a commissioned officer.
Look into the ROTC program.
Where are you in Virginia..?? Maybe I can set something up for you to talk to a recruiter about a commissioning program.
Old 11-20-2009, 08:21 AM   #7
Join the NRA! Protect your freedom!
NraFan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNraFan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNraFan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNraFan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNraFan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNraFan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNraFan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNraFan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNraFan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNraFan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNraFan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: JT
NraFan's Tacoma Gallery
I agree with everyone here. Stay in school. Go in as an officer. Its not just the money, its an all around more pleasent experience as an officer. At list finish college. Even if you go in as enlisted, just finish college first. Its really hard to finish later once you have started living your life and working in your career.
Old 11-20-2009, 08:31 AM   #8
Don't buy a Ford
bishtacova is one of the sharper tools in the shedbishtacova is one of the sharper tools in the shedbishtacova is one of the sharper tools in the shedbishtacova is one of the sharper tools in the shedbishtacova is one of the sharper tools in the shedbishtacova is one of the sharper tools in the shedbishtacova is one of the sharper tools in the shedbishtacova is one of the sharper tools in the shedbishtacova is one of the sharper tools in the shedbishtacova is one of the sharper tools in the shedbishtacova is one of the sharper tools in the shed

x2 that one, speak with an officer rep of some sort. I'm sure any captain will speak with you. You're probably in a rut, hating school but just suck it up, it gets better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc.SS View Post
Very bad idea to go enlisted....you are in school now, stick it out and become a commissioned officer.
Where are you in Virginia..?? Maybe I can set something up for you to talk to a recruiter about a commissioning program.
Old 11-20-2009, 08:33 AM   #9
If u cant stand behind our troops. Stand in front
imsikotic is one of the sharper tools in the shedimsikotic is one of the sharper tools in the shedimsikotic is one of the sharper tools in the shedimsikotic is one of the sharper tools in the shedimsikotic is one of the sharper tools in the shedimsikotic is one of the sharper tools in the shedimsikotic is one of the sharper tools in the shedimsikotic is one of the sharper tools in the shedimsikotic is one of the sharper tools in the shedimsikotic is one of the sharper tools in the shedimsikotic is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: VMFA-314 F/A-18 Fighter Jet Plane Captain and Mech.
Name: Randy
imsikotic's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I dont know where you get off saying being enlisted is a "VERY BAD IDEA" Just because you or whoever is an Officer absolutely does not make you better than me. Or maybe I just read into that wrong, you tell me.

Quote:
But I do agree with finishing up your first degree. Then decide whether to Enlist or Commission. Good luck to you on whatever you choose.
Old 11-20-2009, 09:58 AM   #10
︻╦╤─
Doc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Doc.SS's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by imsikotic View Post
I dont know where you get off saying being enlisted is a "VERY BAD IDEA" Just because you or whoever is an Officer absolutely does not make you better than me. Or maybe I just read into that wrong, you tell me.
Glad you asked, I meant since he was in school and working on a degree it would not be wise, and a very bad idea to quit and enlist as a non-commissioned officer. Since you are enlisted, how many of the guys you work with, know, or associate with had previous college (prior to joining) and now look back and wish they had finished school?

Having completed 19 years in the Navy, serving alongside the greatest warfighters in the world, I think I know a few things.
Old 11-20-2009, 10:00 AM   #11
︻╦╤─

Doc.SS's Tacoma Gallery
Oh, and he would be a fool to enlist if he has a degree (my opinion). He could join the other sourpuss's that complain about what could've been instead of what should be.
Old 11-20-2009, 10:05 AM   #12
Don't buy a Ford

The USA is unique and that we have an all volunteer force. Not too many nations have an all-volunteer force and it shows. Just work alongside a nation of conscripts. In all, it's an interesting experience, just recognize your priorities. You are better off with a degree than w/out no matter what you do....IMO
Old 11-20-2009, 10:09 AM   #13
Hi
dysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Manny
dysfunctnlretard's Tacoma Gallery
I say finish school first and then enlist. Its a big decision to make and itll give you more time to think about it and a chance to power through school. Not saying your one of those guys, but often times it is the case that once people stop going, they never go back. VERY OFTEN.
Old 11-20-2009, 01:52 PM   #14
Finally made it - U.S. Army Retired
cakmakli is one of the sharper tools in the shedcakmakli is one of the sharper tools in the shedcakmakli is one of the sharper tools in the shedcakmakli is one of the sharper tools in the shedcakmakli is one of the sharper tools in the shedcakmakli is one of the sharper tools in the shedcakmakli is one of the sharper tools in the shedcakmakli is one of the sharper tools in the shedcakmakli is one of the sharper tools in the shedcakmakli is one of the sharper tools in the shedcakmakli is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Military Police
cakmakli's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Glad you asked, I meant since he was in school and working on a degree it would not be wise, and a very bad idea to quit and enlist as a non-commissioned officer. Since you are enlisted, how many of the guys you work with, know, or associate with had previous college (prior to joining) and now look back and wish they had finished school?

Having completed 19 years in the Navy, serving alongside the greatest warfighters in the world, I think I know a few things.
I agree with you 100%

I have 26 years of service, 21 as an NCO. There is nothing at all wrong with being enlisted but if anyone has the opportunity for a commission it would be foolish not to take it. Just an honest opinion of an old NCO getting ready to retire. Take it or leave it.
Old 11-20-2009, 02:01 PM   #15
sobos_tacoma is just really nicesobos_tacoma is just really nicesobos_tacoma is just really nicesobos_tacoma is just really nice
Marines:
sobos_tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
i would go enlisted first, then if you want to become an officer you have both sides and you will earn more respect with your boys. you will not only know what they are going through cause you were there once too, but you will learn a lot more of the basics. if you dont care about the money, flat black (enlisted), is the way to go. from enlisted there are so many different routes you can go. if you have any questions pm me.
Old 11-20-2009, 02:32 PM   #16
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by imsikotic View Post

But I do agree with finishing up your first degree. Then decide whether to Enlist or Commission. Good luck to you on whatever you choose.
Agreed, finish what you started then make the decision.
Old 11-20-2009, 02:57 PM   #17
blackxpress is on a distinguished road

Navy:
Name: Jeff
blackxpress's Tacoma Gallery
I enlisted in the Navy out of High School and then got my degree on the GI bill. If I had it to do over again I would've gone the other way around. I've always been fascinated with airplanes and wish I could fly but can't afford it. I wish I would've finished my degree and gone to OCS. Who knows if what I could've been a Naval Aviator. Oh well, like they say, "Hind sight's 20/20." One thing's for sure. The military offers a lot better career opportunities for officers than they do for enlisted personnel. Just sayin'.
Old 11-20-2009, 03:50 PM   #18
abides.
Brunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: LT- CG MH-65C/D Driver- CGAS NOLA
Name: Mark
Brunes's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Brunes
You really can't go wrong either way- I would finish your degree and then decide what you want to do from there.
Enlisting and then going thru OCS or going directly thru OCS both have their benefits and pitfalls.

Personally....my wife and I dig our O2 paychecks and assignments. I've loved every job I've ever had...but there have been a few times I've been a bit jealous of my guys who were out doing cool stuff while I was doing paperwork...
Old 11-20-2009, 03:53 PM   #19
dtr_duck is on a distinguished road
Army: squad leader/ team leader 1083rd combat hett maintanice
Name: steven
dtr_duck's Tacoma Gallery
[quote=sobos_tacoma;1139708]i would go enlisted first, then if you want to become an officer you have both sides and you will earn more respect with your boys. you will not only know what they are going through cause you were there once too, but you will learn a lot more of the basics. if you dont care about the money, flat black (enlisted), is the way to go. from enlisted there are so many different routes you can go. if you have any questions pm me.[/

agreed here there r already to many officers who have no clue of the lower enlisted and don't care to know even if you start enlisted you can always go warrent (at least in the army i don't know about the other branches)
Old 11-20-2009, 03:58 PM   #20
abides.
Brunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: LT- CG MH-65C/D Driver- CGAS NOLA
Name: Mark
Brunes's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Brunes
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtr_duck View Post
agreed here there r already to many officers who have no clue of the lower enlisted and don't care to know even if you start enlisted you can always go warrent (at least in the army i don't know about the other branches)
There are plenty of officers who came from enlisted ranks who have no clue what their enlisted guys are going thru either....or have other vices that make them horrible officers. And there are guys like me...Academy bred....I'l do everything I can for my guys up to and including standing their watches and working right alongside them cleaning guns and laying paint and floor finish.
There is an eternal debate about who makes the best officers....and there are good and bad from all officer development sources.