Right to Fly Flag

View Poll Results: What should he do?
Screw them & leave it up 142 90.45%
Take it down & shove it up their a** 8 5.10%
Other (be creative) 7 4.46%
Voters: 157. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-04-2009, 04:31 AM   #21
Mayor of TW
Delmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Vet
Name: Mike
Delmarva's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SecretSquirrel View Post
"Barfoot lives in the Sussex Square community in far western Henrico; its board of directors rejected a plea from Barfoot in July to approve the pole, disallowing the fixture on aesthetic grounds.
There is no provision in the community's rules expressly forbidding flagpoles, Barfoot's daughter said. But she said the board ruled against her father's fixture and ordered it removed in July, deciding that free-standing flag poles are not aesthetically appropriate. Short flag stands attached to porches dot the community."

Sounds as if it was ALREADY up in July, not that he put it up after being told no
Quote:
Tonight, the Sussex Square Homeowners Association issued a statement reiterating its position that Barfoot directly violated the association board's denial of his request to erect a flagpole.
"This is not about the American flag. This about a flagpole," the statement reads.
I don't know... Here it says he was denied his request to erect the pole.

We can't know the true facts without being involved in the case because there's so much interpretation (and mis-interpretation) out there in the media.
Old 12-04-2009, 04:32 AM   #22
burtonboards32 has much to be proud ofburtonboards32 has much to be proud ofburtonboards32 has much to be proud ofburtonboards32 has much to be proud ofburtonboards32 has much to be proud ofburtonboards32 has much to be proud ofburtonboards32 has much to be proud ofburtonboards32 has much to be proud ofburtonboards32 has much to be proud ofburtonboards32 has much to be proud of
burtonboards32's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by T@co_Pr3runn3r View Post
Telling is hearsay. Where was it written BEFORE he put it up?
well I did not sign the contract given by the HOA so I could not tell you the exact location but if there was an article forbidding free-standing structures of any kind, the pole should come down.
Old 12-04-2009, 04:33 AM   #23
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!
tigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: beat cop...putting bad people in jail
Name: Jeff
tigerfan00's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
this is a 90 y/o vet who earned every respect due to him who, like myself, cannot understand how a an implement of displaying the AMERICAN flag can not be visually aesthetic.
this
Old 12-04-2009, 04:37 AM   #24
Mayor of TW
Delmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Vet
Name: Mike
Delmarva's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
ONCE AGAIN, the pole was up before the HOA decided to make a rule against it.
I think this is speculation -- the articles are misleading.

Quote:
That wasn't my point, though. My point is this is a 90 y/o vet who earned every respect due to him who, like myself, cannot understand how a an implement of displaying the AMERICAN flag can not be visually aesthetic.
I agree with this.
Old 12-04-2009, 04:44 AM   #25
burtonboards32 has much to be proud ofburtonboards32 has much to be proud ofburtonboards32 has much to be proud ofburtonboards32 has much to be proud ofburtonboards32 has much to be proud ofburtonboards32 has much to be proud ofburtonboards32 has much to be proud ofburtonboards32 has much to be proud ofburtonboards32 has much to be proud ofburtonboards32 has much to be proud of
Quote:

That wasn't my point, though. My point is this is a 90 y/o vet who earned every respect due to him who, like myself, cannot understand how a an implement of displaying the AMERICAN flag can not be visually aesthetic.
The flag is not the issue. The issue is how the flag is being displayed. If the HOA did not allow dogs in their community and he had one that was chasing children, shitting on lawns and barking up a storm BUT had an American flag cape, should the dog stay?
Old 12-04-2009, 04:48 AM   #26
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

"The homeowners' association at his suburban Richmond subdivision told him that the free-standing pole violates aesthetic guidelines" ...and that was back in July when he was not approved to do it. It's not about the American Flag either. His neighbors have short poles ...Short flag stands attached to porches dot the community.

So - why can't he just get a short pole like everyone else in his neighborhood?

What's the problem with that?
Old 12-04-2009, 04:56 AM   #27
Quote:
Its obvious that those of us backing the homeowner have a level of respect for the flag greater than you, so you're not worth discussing it with you any longer.
Boo hoo. Sorry if your feelings were hurt because I don't agree with letting this man, veteran or not, brake rules that were in place for EVERYONE in his community.
Old 12-04-2009, 05:00 AM   #28
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 98tacoma27 View Post
If anybody wants to have some fun, here is the HOA's law firm:

http://www.coateslaw.com/CM/Custom/Contact.asp
Quote:
Originally Posted by YayAreaTaco0311 View Post
WTF!!

Medal of Honor Recipient sounds better than "winner" imo.

The law firm link doesn't work!!!

Try it again
Old 12-04-2009, 05:17 AM   #29
Quote:
'break' not brake...

I have no problem with you. I just think less of you for your opinion. Barfoot and others better than you gave you the right to have it.
Oooh silly me...I forgot that veterans and service-men and women are better than I am. Must have slipped my mind for the moment. Ou know when it does NOT slip my mind though? Every time that I take a civil service test in order to use my college degree in criminal justice but can't even get a phone call because every person bein hired has veteran status, something that I was unfortunatly unable to achieve on my own. I'll just shut my mouth now and go back to work so I can afford to pay my $100,00. Student loans and hope to god that some day I will be equal to the almighty soldier and get a job. And on that note, he's violating rules. Take the pole down.
Old 12-04-2009, 05:30 AM   #30
Gone But Not Forgotten
ImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
Name: Susan
ImpulseRed008's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
My point is this is a 90 y/o vet who earned every respect due to him who, like myself, cannot understand how a an implement of displaying the AMERICAN flag can not be visually aesthetic.
X9999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999 99999999999
99999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999 99999999999

How the He!! is an american flag on a flag pole not aesthetic??????
Old 12-04-2009, 05:47 AM   #31
Afwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: B-52 Crew Chief/ Ground Radio MX/ LC-
Name: Matt
Afwrestler1986's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by burtonboards32 View Post
Oooh silly me...I forgot that veterans and service-men and women are better than I am. Must have slipped my mind for the moment. Ou know when it does NOT slip my mind though? Every time that I take a civil service test in order to use my college degree in criminal justice but can't even get a phone call because every person bein hired has veteran status, something that I was unfortunatly unable to achieve on my own. I'll just shut my mouth now and go back to work so I can afford to pay my $100,00. Student loans and hope to god that some day I will be equal to the almighty soldier and get a job. And on that note, he's violating rules. Take the pole down.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
You are dumb. I won't waste any more of my thoughts on you.

-------------------------------------------------
Let him fly it how he deems fit. If its a rusted peice of scrap then ok, but if it looks decent then let him keep it. He pays taxes on his property. F the HOA. They want another vet to remove a Marine Corps sticker from his car because it is avdertising. F them.
Old 12-04-2009, 05:48 AM   #32
Afwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by burtonboards32 View Post
Oh, I lied, one more thought.

NEVER HAPPEN!
Old 12-04-2009, 05:53 AM   #33
sc426hemi will become famous soon enoughsc426hemi will become famous soon enough
Air Force: C-130 loadmaster
Name: Wayne
sc426hemi's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to sc426hemi
ill start off by saying i believe it should be allowed unless its a ridicoulous size but from the video its an average sized flag with a very proportional sized pole and not getting in anyones way or bothering anyone.

secondly, ive notice alot of military members past and present have responded to this story. i have read every post here and i will say, as a military member myself, im am rather disappointed with some of the things i have seen. remember weather currently serving or formerly what you say represents the United States Military as a whole. dont forget that when you signed the line you voluntarily gave up a lot of rights. keep it professional boys.
Old 12-04-2009, 05:53 AM   #34
Join the NRA! Protect your freedom!
NraFan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNraFan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNraFan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNraFan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNraFan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNraFan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNraFan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNraFan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNraFan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNraFan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNraFan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: JT
NraFan's Tacoma Gallery
I agree that this man has the right to fly the American flag. They are not stopping him from doing so. Many people in his neighborhood do so. They have a problem with the freestanding flag pole. In june he asked if he could do it and they said no, then he did it anyway. He is allowed to fly one off his front porch, they just dont want it on a 20 foot pole in the middle of the yard. As much as I hate the rules of a HOA, or how much I feel this guy has the right to do what he wants, the rules are rules. If there is no written rule in his agreement, then fuck the HOA and fly it as high as he wants, but if there is, I think he needs to take it down. He can still fly the flag, just not like this.
Old 12-04-2009, 06:21 AM   #35
My spoon is too Big!
xJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
xJuice's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Barfoot and others better than you gave you the right to have it.
I have all respect for ALL service men and women, my dad included, UNTIL they go spouting ignorant shit like this. It's one thing to be humble and accept respect, but it's another to demand it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc426hemi View Post
remember weather currently serving or formerly what you say represents the United States Military as a whole.
Old 12-04-2009, 06:22 AM   #36
dman597 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddman597 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddman597 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddman597 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddman597 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddman597 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddman597 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddman597 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddman597 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddman597 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddman597 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Doug
dman597's Tacoma Gallery
We are currently fighting our HOA and I have to say the main reason you have a HOA is to insure that the house follow an agreed set of rules to insure home values are not affected by the neighbor with toilet in the yard.
However the flag is not a toilet and I would agree he should be able to fly it ON A FLAG POLE. From what I read it is not the flag that is in violation to the rules but the flag pole. We were able to get petition signed to make our changes to the rules when we had a problem. I believe if he went through the proper channels he would not have this problem and he would have his flag pole. I am VERY GRATFULL FOR ALL MILLATARY PERSONAL for protecting my freedom and if he came to my door with that petition I would sign it in a heartbeat.
Old 12-04-2009, 06:26 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by xJuice View Post
I have all respect for ALL service men and women, my dad included, UNTIL they go spouting ignorant shit like this. It's one thing to be humble and accept respect, but it's another to demand it...
Medal of Honor is not just a video game series. It means he went well beyond the call of duty(again, not just a video game) and did more than what he was asked to do. How many people would actually dive on a grenade to save their buds? Or go into a situation knowing damn well that you will die just to save your brothers? This man obviously did something similar and deserves more respect than the President other wise the President would not have to salute him.
Old 12-04-2009, 06:27 AM   #38
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Who's demanding it?
X2.
Old 12-04-2009, 06:27 AM   #39
NraFan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNraFan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNraFan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNraFan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNraFan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNraFan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNraFan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNraFan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNraFan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNraFan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNraFan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

NraFan's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Its obvious that those of us backing the homeowner have a level of respect for the flag greater than you, so you're not worth discussing it with you any longer.
Quote:
'break' not brake...

I have no problem with you. I just think less of you for your opinion. Barfoot and others better than you gave you the right to have it.
I am not going to get into a huge disagreement here, but... I have a big problem with your statement. Why do you think less of someone because they dont agree with you. He is not being unpatriotic... He is not bashing this veteran... He in no way is putting down this country. I think we all feel that this 90 yo veteran has earned a lot of rights, and we can all thank him for the freedoms we have now. However, if there are rules in place about free standing structures, then he is breaking them. He was told not to put it up. Now, none of us here know for 100% what the rules are. News stories never give you the whole picture. I just think we are all entitled to our opinions and we shouldnt think less of anyone for having a different one. You can thank this veteran for being able to have an opinion. We all can. Sometimes, as much as we man not agree with them, the rules need to be followed.
Old 12-04-2009, 06:30 AM   #40

NraFan's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Fair enough.

My entire argument lies on the report that there is nothing written in the HOA rules when he put it up. If he put it up fully knowing there was, then yes, he needs to take it down...