1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Right to Fly Flag

Discussion in 'Military' started by dhurley, Dec 3, 2009.

?

What should he do?

Poll closed Jan 2, 2010.
  1. Screw them & leave it up

142 vote(s)
    90.4%
  2. Take it down & shove it up their a**

8 vote(s)
    5.1%
  3. Other (be creative)

7 vote(s)
    4.5%
  1. Dec 3, 2009 at 7:49 PM
    dhurley

dhurley [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Vehicle:
    04 Double Cab TRD SR5 V6
    TRD, Snugtop Super-Sport, bedliner, receiver hitch, alarm mod, deck plate mod, AFE Pro-Dry S, Saddleman camo seat covers, TW decal, grey wire mod w/switch, DRL, LED cupholder mod, Dynomax Super Turbo, aux back-up lights, Devil Horns by Andres, "blue plug" mod for 2LO, shorty antenna, Pro Comp fog & driving lights, receiver shackle, 15% tint front windows, stainless nerf bars, Ultra Gauge, diff breather mod
    I saw this on the news and was hurt. I know homeowner's associations have a job to do but come on. He has done the most noble, honorabe & unselfish duty a person can do for their country, & a bunch of snobs want him to take down his flag. What are your thoughts?

Medal of Honor Winner Fights for Right to Fly Flag

Virginia veteran battles homeowners group on American flag issue

By ZINIE CHEN SAMPSON

Updated 6:15 PM EST, Wed, Dec 2, 2009

A 90-year-old Army veteran who won the Medal of Honor during World War II is battling his homeowners' association for the right to fly the American flag from a pole in his front yard.
    Col. Van Barfoot erected the flagpole in September, he said. The homeowners' association at his suburban Richmond subdivision told him that the free-standing pole violates aesthetic guidelines and ordered him to remove the structure or face a lawsuit.
    Barfoot won his medal for actions in Italy in 1944 and is one of about 90 surviving Medal of Honor winners. He's also won the Purple Heart and other decorations.
    Neighbors have expressed their support, but ultimately it's up to the nine-member association board on whether they will grant an exception to the rules

2. Dec 3, 2009 at 7:50 PM
    tacomaman06

tacomaman06 Carolina Alliance: Enforcer

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    York,South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tundra TRD Pro
    getting there....
    hoa's suck....period!!! they oughtta be shot for not letting this man fly what is rightfully his to do!!

3. Dec 3, 2009 at 7:52 PM
    jodiddly33

jodiddly33 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonah
    DFW
    Vehicle:
    2010 Golf TDI
    that's lame. american's want to take down the flag for aesthetics? BS!

4. Dec 3, 2009 at 7:53 PM
    desertdude59

desertdude59 CRAZY 4WHEELER

Member:
    From the Mojave desert now in Wild and Wonderful W
    Vehicle:
    1991 toyota 4x4 sr5-lost but not forgotten
    4" lift after market front bumper bed mount lightbar/roll bar (4)6" kc's on the roll bar (2) kc flat back bumper mounts f/r gears for the 33's
    What a bunch of NAZI'S. He has the right to fly his Flag!

5. Dec 3, 2009 at 7:59 PM
    98tacoma27

98tacoma27 is going full "SANDWICH" Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Not Beech Creek
    Vehicle:
    05 Tundra SR5 (+295k AND COUNTING), 2006 F350 King Ranch 6.0L
    Some stuff. Not a lot, just some.
  6. Dec 3, 2009 at 8:04 PM
    dhurley

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Vehicle:
    04 Double Cab TRD SR5 V6
    TRD, Snugtop Super-Sport, bedliner, receiver hitch, alarm mod, deck plate mod, AFE Pro-Dry S, Saddleman camo seat covers, TW decal, grey wire mod w/switch, DRL, LED cupholder mod, Dynomax Super Turbo, aux back-up lights, Devil Horns by Andres, "blue plug" mod for 2LO, shorty antenna, Pro Comp fog & driving lights, receiver shackle, 15% tint front windows, stainless nerf bars, Ultra Gauge, diff breather mod
  7. Dec 3, 2009 at 8:05 PM
    98tacoma27

98tacoma27 is going full "SANDWICH" Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Not Beech Creek
    Vehicle:
    05 Tundra SR5 (+295k AND COUNTING), 2006 F350 King Ranch 6.0L
    Some stuff. Not a lot, just some.
  8. Dec 3, 2009 at 8:09 PM
    dhurley

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Vehicle:
    04 Double Cab TRD SR5 V6
  9. Dec 3, 2009 at 8:22 PM
    YayAreaTaco0311

YayAreaTaco0311 Motivator

Member:
    California
    Vehicle:
    '09 TRD 4x4 O/R Supercharged
    OEM TRD supercharger, OEM wheels painted black by me, yellow sidemarkers, arb bumper, LED interiors, roll-n-lock, 5% rear windows, mudflaps removed, protector alarm, mobile trace, blacked out front Toyota emblem, debadged, & tree air freshener.
    WTF!!

Medal of Honor Recipient sounds better than "winner" imo.

The law firm link doesn't work!!!

10. Dec 3, 2009 at 8:26 PM
    desertdude59

desertdude59 CRAZY 4WHEELER

Member:
    From the Mojave desert now in Wild and Wonderful W
    Vehicle:
    1991 toyota 4x4 sr5-lost but not forgotten
    4" lift after market front bumper bed mount lightbar/roll bar (4)6" kc's on the roll bar (2) kc flat back bumper mounts f/r gears for the 33's
    My cousin was killed in Iraq in 2004. I believe that any service man or woman have the right to fly a flag. The people in the armed forces protect those pricks in the HOA. How about we take away some HOMELAND SECURITY and see how they like it. F#$&ing NAZI'S!

11. Dec 3, 2009 at 8:28 PM
    higherlux

higherlux Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Blake
    middle of S.C.
    Vehicle:
    1998 tacoma 2.7l 4wd/1986 POS
    Mall crawler status
    i say take the flag down and fold it up neatly and place it some where nice

and take the pole it was on and beat them senseless and put the poll back where it was and put the flag back up :D

12. Dec 4, 2009 at 3:21 AM
    cakmakli

cakmakli Finally made it - U.S. Army Retired

Member:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Sport
    How do you contact the Home Owners Association members? That's who I want to call/email.

Here is his Medal of Honor citation: LINK

Second Lieutenant Barfoot's official Medal of Honor citation reads:
    For conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity at the risk of life above and beyond the call of duty on 23 May 1944, near Carano, Italy. With his platoon heavily engaged during an assault against forces well entrenched on commanding ground, 2d Lt. Barfoot (then Tech. Sgt.) moved off alone upon the enemy left flank. He crawled to the proximity of 1 machinegun nest and made a direct hit on it with a hand grenade, killing 2 and wounding 3 Germans. He continued along the German defense line to another machinegun emplacement, and with his tommygun killed 2 and captured 3 soldiers. Members of another enemy machinegun crew then abandoned their position and gave themselves up to Sgt. Barfoot. Leaving the prisoners for his support squad to pick up, he proceeded to mop up positions in the immediate area, capturing more prisoners and bringing his total count to 17. Later that day, after he had reorganized his men and consolidated the newly captured ground, the enemy launched a fierce armored counterattack directly at his platoon positions. Securing a bazooka, Sgt. Barfoot took up an exposed position directly in front of 3 advancing Mark VI tanks. From a distance of 75 yards his first shot destroyed the track of the leading tank, effectively disabling it, while the other 2 changed direction toward the flank. As the crew of the disabled tank dismounted, Sgt. Barfoot killed 3 of them with his tommygun. He continued onward into enemy terrain and destroyed a recently abandoned German fieldpiece with a demolition charge placed in the breech. While returning to his platoon position, Sgt. Barfoot, though greatly fatigued by his Herculean efforts, assisted 2 of his seriously wounded men 1,700 yards to a position of safety. Sgt. Barfoot's extraordinary heroism, demonstration of magnificent valor, and aggressive determination in the face of pointblank fire are a perpetual inspiration to his fellow soldiers.

13. Dec 4, 2009 at 3:58 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    Regardless if he's a veteran with a gazillion medals....

His developement/subdivision has rules & regulations to follow. He should be following the rules. The subdivision might have some legitimate reasons why they came up with those rules. I honestly don't know....
    Perhaps there are non-Americans living in that subdivision and they complained in the past....?? Or perhaps those non-Americans wanted to fly their own flag in their front yard and other people complained. So guess what? That's usually how those rules are setup.

I'm not againest flying a flag....I have my own that I put on a pole.

But - you can't just assume this guy have more rights than the rest of his neighbors just because he's a veteran & has a few medals. Talk to the subdivision people and find out WHY they're not allowed to fly flags.

14. Dec 4, 2009 at 4:16 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    Rules are rules and laws are laws.
    This isn't about being an American or not being proud to be one.

This is about following rules, regulations, and laws that were put in place for a reason. Those rules have to be followed by ALL who they apply to - or else why have the rules or the laws. People can just go out and kill other people thinking they've earned the right to do so.....??

If the subdivision didn't have any rules in place - then, I'd say...he has every right to fly the flag regardless of what 'complaints' there are. But since there is a rule in place..... you should be a respectfull American and follow the rules.

15. Dec 4, 2009 at 4:18 AM
    Delmarva

Delmarva Mayor of TW

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2013 4runner Limited Looking for a Taco
    It's the wife's T4R so it's stock
    There's a big difference between this story and other stories of HOAs not letting people fly flags.

The HOA isn't saying he can't fly a flag... they're saying he can't put a flag pole in his yard. In fact, in some of the multiple articles about this subject, reporters indicate that there are multiple houses flying American flags.

Mr. Barfoot petitioned the HOA board for the pole and was denyed. He then erected the flagpole himself. This is the issue of the case -- not the flag itself.

Too often people get a mob mentality without first looking into the facts of the case.

And for those that will ultimately be pissed at what I've written:

1. I'm a vet.
    2. I fly a flag every day from my house.
    3. I HATE HOAs.
    4. I think he should be allowed to have his flagpole.

16. Dec 4, 2009 at 4:20 AM
    burtonboards32

burtonboards32 Well-Known Member

Member:
    I'm sure we can all agree that this man is a wonderful, corageous American but I agree with Janster. This man put up a flag pole after having signed a contract with the HOA saying that he would abide by said rules of the neighborhood and then he goes against these rules and puts up a flag pole. As haneous as this story is he should have to take it down.

17. Dec 4, 2009 at 4:22 AM
    T@co_Pr3runn3r

T@co_Pr3runn3r XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Member:
    <----------------->
    Vehicle:
    08 RC Prerunner SR5
    If the HOA fucks can come over & shove that flag pole all the way up their ass without gagging or pushing their eyes out of their sockets then & IF it is somehow in some limp dick commie retard fashion it is written that NO ONE can have flags of any sort then well............still not take it down. I mean, what is it? 150 ft tall where it blocks the sun or something? Is it causing traffic issues? Those that want to break down & take down all of what this country was founded upon & what proud Americans used to be able to show their pride in CAN EAT SHIT & DIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fuck all those that come here that may have other beliefs & aren't here to assimilate or further our country as in the past & aren't even citizens here that don't like it.

Was that harsh? To fuckin bad!!!!!!!! So is all this type nonsense. At some point this country will be taken back from this bullshit nowadays.

18. Dec 4, 2009 at 4:23 AM
    Delmarva

Delmarva Mayor of TW

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2013 4runner Limited Looking for a Taco
    It's the wife's T4R so it's stock
    I didn't see that part Rich - I must have read a different article.

19. Dec 4, 2009 at 4:26 AM
    burtonboards32

burtonboards32 Well-Known Member

Member:
    you might want to read it again yourself:

"The homeowners' association at his suburban Richmond subdivision told him that the free-standing pole violates aesthetic guidelines and ordered him to remove the structure or face a lawsuit."

whether he erects a 40 foot dildo or a flagpole in his yard it is still a free-standing pole violating HOA guidelines

20. Dec 4, 2009 at 4:29 AM
    T@co_Pr3runn3r

T@co_Pr3runn3r XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Member:
    <----------------->
    Vehicle:
    08 RC Prerunner SR5
    Telling is hearsay. Where was it written BEFORE he put it up?

Products Discussed in

To Top