Notices

Right to Fly Flag

View Poll Results: What should he do?
Screw them & leave it up 142 90.45%
Take it down & shove it up their a** 8 5.10%
Other (be creative) 7 4.46%
Voters: 157. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-03-2009, 08:49 PM   #1
dhurley is one of the sharper tools in the sheddhurley is one of the sharper tools in the sheddhurley is one of the sharper tools in the sheddhurley is one of the sharper tools in the sheddhurley is one of the sharper tools in the sheddhurley is one of the sharper tools in the sheddhurley is one of the sharper tools in the sheddhurley is one of the sharper tools in the sheddhurley is one of the sharper tools in the sheddhurley is one of the sharper tools in the sheddhurley is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Retired 20 years: Field Artillery, Communications & Range NCO
Name: Doug
dhurley's Tacoma Gallery
Right to Fly Flag

I saw this on the news and was hurt. I know homeowner's associations have a job to do but come on. He has done the most noble, honorabe & unselfish duty a person can do for their country, & a bunch of snobs want him to take down his flag. What are your thoughts?

Medal of Honor Winner Fights for Right to Fly Flag

Virginia veteran battles homeowners group on American flag issue

By ZINIE CHEN SAMPSON

Updated 6:15 PM EST, Wed, Dec 2, 2009

A 90-year-old Army veteran who won the Medal of Honor during World War II is battling his homeowners' association for the right to fly the American flag from a pole in his front yard.
Col. Van Barfoot erected the flagpole in September, he said. The homeowners' association at his suburban Richmond subdivision told him that the free-standing pole violates aesthetic guidelines and ordered him to remove the structure or face a lawsuit.
Barfoot won his medal for actions in Italy in 1944 and is one of about 90 surviving Medal of Honor winners. He's also won the Purple Heart and other decorations.
Neighbors have expressed their support, but ultimately it's up to the nine-member association board on whether they will grant an exception to the rules
Old 12-03-2009, 08:50 PM   #2
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
hoa's suck....period!!! they oughtta be shot for not letting this man fly what is rightfully his to do!!
Old 12-03-2009, 08:52 PM   #3
jodiddly33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjodiddly33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjodiddly33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjodiddly33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjodiddly33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjodiddly33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjodiddly33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjodiddly33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjodiddly33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjodiddly33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjodiddly33 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jonah
jodiddly33's Tacoma Gallery
that's lame. american's want to take down the flag for aesthetics? BS!
Old 12-03-2009, 08:53 PM   #4
CRAZY 4WHEELER
desertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Location: From the Mojave desert now in Wild and Wonderful West Virginia
desertdude59's Tacoma Gallery
What a bunch of NAZI'S. He has the right to fly his Flag!
Old 12-03-2009, 08:59 PM   #5
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
If anybody wants to have some fun, here is the HOA's law firm:

http://www.coateslaw.com/CM/Custom/Contact.asp
Old 12-03-2009, 09:05 PM   #7
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
I posted this 2 minutes after your thread..........

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/off...ner-v-hoa.html
Old 12-03-2009, 09:09 PM   #8
dhurley is one of the sharper tools in the sheddhurley is one of the sharper tools in the sheddhurley is one of the sharper tools in the sheddhurley is one of the sharper tools in the sheddhurley is one of the sharper tools in the sheddhurley is one of the sharper tools in the sheddhurley is one of the sharper tools in the sheddhurley is one of the sharper tools in the sheddhurley is one of the sharper tools in the sheddhurley is one of the sharper tools in the sheddhurley is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Retired 20 years: Field Artillery, Communications & Range NCO
Name: Doug
dhurley's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 98tacoma27 View Post
I posted this 2 minutes after your thread..........

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/off...ner-v-hoa.html
Yeah, I saw that. But I like the facts you were able to find about his service & such. Nice job It's a subject that spoke to both of us at the same time
Old 12-03-2009, 09:22 PM   #9
Motivator
YayAreaTaco0311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYayAreaTaco0311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYayAreaTaco0311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYayAreaTaco0311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYayAreaTaco0311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYayAreaTaco0311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYayAreaTaco0311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYayAreaTaco0311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYayAreaTaco0311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYayAreaTaco0311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYayAreaTaco0311 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: Police Caller
YayAreaTaco0311's Tacoma Gallery
WTF!!

Medal of Honor Recipient sounds better than "winner" imo.

The law firm link doesn't work!!!
Old 12-03-2009, 09:26 PM   #10
CRAZY 4WHEELER
desertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Location: From the Mojave desert now in Wild and Wonderful West Virginia
desertdude59's Tacoma Gallery
My cousin was killed in Iraq in 2004. I believe that any service man or woman have the right to fly a flag. The people in the armed forces protect those pricks in the HOA. How about we take away some HOMELAND SECURITY and see how they like it. F#$&ing NAZI'S!
Old 12-03-2009, 09:28 PM   #11
higherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Blake
higherlux's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to higherlux
i say take the flag down and fold it up neatly and place it some where nice

and take the pole it was on and beat them senseless and put the poll back where it was and put the flag back up
Old 12-04-2009, 04:21 AM   #12
Finally made it - U.S. Army Retired
cakmakli is one of the sharper tools in the shedcakmakli is one of the sharper tools in the shedcakmakli is one of the sharper tools in the shedcakmakli is one of the sharper tools in the shedcakmakli is one of the sharper tools in the shedcakmakli is one of the sharper tools in the shedcakmakli is one of the sharper tools in the shedcakmakli is one of the sharper tools in the shedcakmakli is one of the sharper tools in the shedcakmakli is one of the sharper tools in the shedcakmakli is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Military Police
cakmakli's Tacoma Gallery
How do you contact the Home Owners Association members? That's who I want to call/email.

Here is his Medal of Honor citation: LINK

Second Lieutenant Barfoot's official Medal of Honor citation reads:
For conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity at the risk of life above and beyond the call of duty on 23 May 1944, near Carano, Italy. With his platoon heavily engaged during an assault against forces well entrenched on commanding ground, 2d Lt. Barfoot (then Tech. Sgt.) moved off alone upon the enemy left flank. He crawled to the proximity of 1 machinegun nest and made a direct hit on it with a hand grenade, killing 2 and wounding 3 Germans. He continued along the German defense line to another machinegun emplacement, and with his tommygun killed 2 and captured 3 soldiers. Members of another enemy machinegun crew then abandoned their position and gave themselves up to Sgt. Barfoot. Leaving the prisoners for his support squad to pick up, he proceeded to mop up positions in the immediate area, capturing more prisoners and bringing his total count to 17. Later that day, after he had reorganized his men and consolidated the newly captured ground, the enemy launched a fierce armored counterattack directly at his platoon positions. Securing a bazooka, Sgt. Barfoot took up an exposed position directly in front of 3 advancing Mark VI tanks. From a distance of 75 yards his first shot destroyed the track of the leading tank, effectively disabling it, while the other 2 changed direction toward the flank. As the crew of the disabled tank dismounted, Sgt. Barfoot killed 3 of them with his tommygun. He continued onward into enemy terrain and destroyed a recently abandoned German fieldpiece with a demolition charge placed in the breech. While returning to his platoon position, Sgt. Barfoot, though greatly fatigued by his Herculean efforts, assisted 2 of his seriously wounded men 1,700 yards to a position of safety. Sgt. Barfoot's extraordinary heroism, demonstration of magnificent valor, and aggressive determination in the face of pointblank fire are a perpetual inspiration to his fellow soldiers.
Old 12-04-2009, 04:58 AM   #13
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Regardless if he's a veteran with a gazillion medals....

His developement/subdivision has rules & regulations to follow. He should be following the rules. The subdivision might have some legitimate reasons why they came up with those rules. I honestly don't know....
Perhaps there are non-Americans living in that subdivision and they complained in the past....?? Or perhaps those non-Americans wanted to fly their own flag in their front yard and other people complained. So guess what? That's usually how those rules are setup.

I'm not againest flying a flag....I have my own that I put on a pole.

But - you can't just assume this guy have more rights than the rest of his neighbors just because he's a veteran & has a few medals. Talk to the subdivision people and find out WHY they're not allowed to fly flags.
Old 12-04-2009, 05:16 AM   #14
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SecretSquirrel View Post
In my eyes, Janster, he and the other 90 surviving MoH recipients are better than you and I and earned his rights.
Rules are rules and laws are laws.
This isn't about being an American or not being proud to be one.

This is about following rules, regulations, and laws that were put in place for a reason. Those rules have to be followed by ALL who they apply to - or else why have the rules or the laws. People can just go out and kill other people thinking they've earned the right to do so.....??

If the subdivision didn't have any rules in place - then, I'd say...he has every right to fly the flag regardless of what 'complaints' there are. But since there is a rule in place..... you should be a respectfull American and follow the rules.
Old 12-04-2009, 05:18 AM   #15
Mayor of TW
Delmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Vet
Name: Mike
Delmarva's Tacoma Gallery
There's a big difference between this story and other stories of HOAs not letting people fly flags.

The HOA isn't saying he can't fly a flag... they're saying he can't put a flag pole in his yard. In fact, in some of the multiple articles about this subject, reporters indicate that there are multiple houses flying American flags.

Mr. Barfoot petitioned the HOA board for the pole and was denyed. He then erected the flagpole himself. This is the issue of the case -- not the flag itself.

Too often people get a mob mentality without first looking into the facts of the case.

And for those that will ultimately be pissed at what I've written:

1. I'm a vet.
2. I fly a flag every day from my house.
3. I HATE HOAs.
4. I think he should be allowed to have his flagpole.
Old 12-04-2009, 05:20 AM   #16
burtonboards32 has much to be proud ofburtonboards32 has much to be proud ofburtonboards32 has much to be proud ofburtonboards32 has much to be proud ofburtonboards32 has much to be proud ofburtonboards32 has much to be proud ofburtonboards32 has much to be proud ofburtonboards32 has much to be proud ofburtonboards32 has much to be proud ofburtonboards32 has much to be proud of
burtonboards32's Tacoma Gallery
I'm sure we can all agree that this man is a wonderful, corageous American but I agree with Janster. This man put up a flag pole after having signed a contract with the HOA saying that he would abide by said rules of the neighborhood and then he goes against these rules and puts up a flag pole. As haneous as this story is he should have to take it down.
Old 12-04-2009, 05:22 AM   #17
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
T@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shed

T@co_Pr3runn3r's Tacoma Gallery
If the HOA fucks can come over & shove that flag pole all the way up their ass without gagging or pushing their eyes out of their sockets then & IF it is somehow in some limp dick commie retard fashion it is written that NO ONE can have flags of any sort then well............still not take it down. I mean, what is it? 150 ft tall where it blocks the sun or something? Is it causing traffic issues? Those that want to break down & take down all of what this country was founded upon & what proud Americans used to be able to show their pride in CAN EAT SHIT & DIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fuck all those that come here that may have other beliefs & aren't here to assimilate or further our country as in the past & aren't even citizens here that don't like it.

Was that harsh? To fuckin bad!!!!!!!! So is all this type nonsense. At some point this country will be taken back from this bullshit nowadays.
Old 12-04-2009, 05:23 AM   #18
Mayor of TW
Delmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Vet
Name: Mike
Delmarva's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Are you guys reading the same article that I am? It was stated that no where in the HOA rules said specifically 'no flagpoles' until after he put his up (July)...
I didn't see that part Rich - I must have read a different article.
Old 12-04-2009, 05:26 AM   #19
burtonboards32 has much to be proud ofburtonboards32 has much to be proud ofburtonboards32 has much to be proud ofburtonboards32 has much to be proud ofburtonboards32 has much to be proud ofburtonboards32 has much to be proud ofburtonboards32 has much to be proud ofburtonboards32 has much to be proud ofburtonboards32 has much to be proud ofburtonboards32 has much to be proud of
burtonboards32's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Are you guys reading the same article that I am? It was stated that no where in the HOA rules said specifically 'no flagpoles' until after he put his up (July)...
you might want to read it again yourself:

"The homeowners' association at his suburban Richmond subdivision told him that the free-standing pole violates aesthetic guidelines and ordered him to remove the structure or face a lawsuit."

whether he erects a 40 foot dildo or a flagpole in his yard it is still a free-standing pole violating HOA guidelines
Old 12-04-2009, 05:29 AM   #20
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
T@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shed

T@co_Pr3runn3r's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by burtonboards32 View Post
you might want to read it again yourself:

"The homeowners' association at his suburban Richmond subdivision told him that the free-standing pole violates aesthetic guidelines and ordered him to remove the structure or face a lawsuit."

whether he erects a 40 foot dildo or a flagpole in his yard it is still a free-standing pole violating HOA guidelines
Telling is hearsay. Where was it written BEFORE he put it up?