Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Military

Notices

Taking my Taco to England?

Old 12-04-2009, 08:37 PM   #1
martycz is on a distinguished road
Air Force:
martycz's Tacoma Gallery
Taking my Taco to England?

Just found out that I have orders to Lakenheath. I have noticed that no one seems to drive trucks over there. I was hoping any of you who either have been stationed in the UK or are currently there could tell me about the process to get my truck over there and if it would be more beneficial to sell it or store it before I leave. Also any information on the base and area itself would be great. Thanks.
Old 12-04-2009, 08:41 PM   #2
BLKTRD6SP is one of the sharper tools in the shedBLKTRD6SP is one of the sharper tools in the shedBLKTRD6SP is one of the sharper tools in the shedBLKTRD6SP is one of the sharper tools in the shedBLKTRD6SP is one of the sharper tools in the shedBLKTRD6SP is one of the sharper tools in the shedBLKTRD6SP is one of the sharper tools in the shedBLKTRD6SP is one of the sharper tools in the shedBLKTRD6SP is one of the sharper tools in the shedBLKTRD6SP is one of the sharper tools in the shedBLKTRD6SP is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Tim
BLKTRD6SP's Tacoma Gallery
Well gas will probably cost twice as much keep that in mind.
Old 12-04-2009, 08:41 PM   #3
cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for your service. Wish I could help, but I can't. I know there's a member on here that's stationed in Germany I believe, and his Taco is in transit to him. I think.
Old 12-04-2009, 08:42 PM   #4
Go with the flow
Hologram is a jewel in the roughHologram is a jewel in the roughHologram is a jewel in the roughHologram is a jewel in the rough

Army:
Hologram's Tacoma Gallery
leave your taco in storage here and get a hilux in europe! and then bring it back home
Old 12-04-2009, 08:43 PM   #5
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hologram View Post
leave your taco in storage here and get a hilux in europe! and then bring it back home
Hilux FTMFW!!!!!!
Old 12-04-2009, 08:45 PM   #6
Oh gravity, thou art a heartless bitch!
AvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brandon
AvsFanTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Best guess it would cost a few thousand dollars to ship it over there, then your steering wheel will be on the wrong side and you'll have to drive on the other side of the road, that could mess with your head.
Old 12-05-2009, 07:09 AM   #7
tonto340 is a glorious beacon of lighttonto340 is a glorious beacon of lighttonto340 is a glorious beacon of lighttonto340 is a glorious beacon of lighttonto340 is a glorious beacon of light
Air Force: Intel - Retired
tonto340's Tacoma Gallery
I took a Bronco II to England when I was stationed at RAF Chicksands. The Air Force paid for shipping there and back. I lived in the dorms there and was given 660 liters worth of gas ration tickets. Gas was 53 cents per liter which equated to about $2.10 a gallon, This was 1989-1991. At the time I figured out that it would cost me $120 to fill up my tank on the local economy which equated to approximately $5.45 a gallon.
I was there for about 3 months before my truck got there so I got used to seeing cars on the "wrong" side of the road. I didn't have any trouble seeing except when I got behind a lorry (tractor trailer).
Old 12-05-2009, 07:14 AM   #8
abides.
Brunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: LT- CG MH-65C/D Driver- CGAS NOLA
Name: Mark
Brunes's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Brunes
Quote:
Originally Posted by blowham View Post
Best guess it would cost a few thousand dollars to ship it over there, then your steering wheel will be on the wrong side and you'll have to drive on the other side of the road, that could mess with your head.
If he's military transferring cost is not a concern.

The driving on the other side of the road thing could be tho. I know you can get a special permit in the states for right hand drive cars...but IDK about their rules over there.

OP- Best of luck getting info from someone!!!
Old 12-05-2009, 07:15 AM   #9
red taco will become famous soon enough
Name: Cole
red taco's Tacoma Gallery
Im studying in England right now and I feel like having a Tacoma here could be a bit of a hassle. The cars people drive here are generally smaller and gas would be insane too
Old 12-05-2009, 07:29 AM   #10
Kenobe is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenobe is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenobe is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenobe is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenobe is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenobe is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenobe is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenobe is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenobe is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenobe is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenobe is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force: MSgt
Kenobe's Tacoma Gallery
With orders it gets shipped for free. You'll just have a period of 6 or 8 weeks w/out your truck.

You get gas 'coupons' on base, and can use them in many places throughout the country. The amount of coupons you get depends on the engine size. If you use those up you're paying local prices for gas, at least 2x what it is on base.

Tacos aren't huge, so you won't have the problems people with full-size trucks have.

Driving on the other side of the road takes getting used to. Especially when you first experience round-abouts.

Lakenheath and nearby Mildenhall always have a ton of used cars for sale. Something to consider.

Enjoy the tour. I spent four years at Molesworth. Pretty country, nice people and despite what people say, some great food.

My main complaints:
There is a lorry (tractor-trailer) for every car on the damned roads.
You cannot get anywhere fast. Traffic can simply suck.
Nothing stays open late. Try getting diapers at 10pm.
TV sucks. Satellite is the only thing worth having if you have a t.v.
Taxes suck. Road tax and TV tax.
Traffic cameras.
NEVER drive through the middle of London. Go around it or take a train into downtown.
Old 12-06-2009, 01:19 AM   #11
martycz is on a distinguished road
Air Force:
martycz's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks to everyone for their in-put so far. I'm not concerned with shipping it, because the USAF will pay for that, and gas isn't too much of a concern, as long as I don't run out of tickets for it. The driving on the other side of the road thing sucks. So does not having a car for a month or two. But then again, buying a car in England could be pretty scary . . .
Old 12-06-2009, 10:48 AM   #12
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
Just be careful and it won't take long before you get used to driving on the other side of the road.
Old 12-06-2009, 11:49 AM   #13
Custom User Title
Zac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: CSAR
Name: Zac
Zac808's Tacoma Gallery
I never liked driving a LH car on RH roads. I say sell it. Buy a beater up there. And then buy a 2014 Tacoma when you get back.

Also, you will most likely have to add side marker lights to the tacoma fenders.