LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Military

Notices

Help me find a gift for my Air Force grandpa...

Old 12-09-2009, 10:26 PM   #1
Bourbon
EquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Casey
EquinsuOcha's Tacoma Gallery
Help me find a gift for my Air Force grandpa...

I've got an idea for a gift for my grandpa, but it's pretty average. My mother (his daughter-in-law) suggested that I get him some History Channel DVDs, about WWII or the Korean War (which he is a veteran of.)

And that's fine, but I'd like to get him something special and memorable. He's in his late 70's now, and I'd like to give him something that he'll remember for a long time.

The little bit that I know of his Air Force career is that he was an in-flight mechanic. He was one of the guys that flew on many a mission just in case shit went wrong in mid-air. In my humble opinion...pretty badass.

I don't really have a budget, because I don't know what I'm looking for. So give me some ideas!

Thanks!
Old 12-09-2009, 10:46 PM   #2
cbrico929 is on a distinguished road

Air Force: MSgt
Name: Rico
cbrico929's Tacoma Gallery
Make him a Shadow box like this with all his rank, awards, etc. I made this for my buddy when he retired and put a tear in his eye.
Attached Thumbnails
Help me find a gift for my Air Force grandpa...-photo.jpg  
Old 12-10-2009, 02:50 AM   #3
Sometimes I drink water...
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: TSgt/E6, 3D172, Cyber Transport, NC Air Guard and prior AD
Name: Jamie
jhodge83's Tacoma Gallery
^^i'm hoping my rank structure will go like that...haha. wouldnt mind making tech first though
Old 12-10-2009, 09:48 AM   #4
cbrico929 is on a distinguished road

Air Force: MSgt
Name: Rico
cbrico929's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhodge83 View Post
^^i'm hoping my rank structure will go like that...haha. wouldnt mind making tech first though
For some reason TSgt was a Mother-F to make...but once you make TSgt..MSgt is pretty easy.
Old 12-10-2009, 09:52 AM   #5
Living vicariously through mjp2
eordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ed
eordonez's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbrico929 View Post
Make him a Shadow box like this with all his rank, awards, etc. I made this for my buddy when he retired and put a tear in his eye.
all the way to major, that's awesome
Old 12-10-2009, 10:02 AM   #6
DOERanger has much to be proud ofDOERanger has much to be proud ofDOERanger has much to be proud ofDOERanger has much to be proud ofDOERanger has much to be proud ofDOERanger has much to be proud ofDOERanger has much to be proud ofDOERanger has much to be proud ofDOERanger has much to be proud of

Army: Military Police
Name: Jordan
DOERanger's Tacoma Gallery
Depends on what's available and your budget. Can you find his old service photos? Shadowbox is a very good idea and never fails. Find out what kind of plane he worked on, and maybe buying a large salvage piece, painting it, and maybe etch it with his service dates, places, etc. (like an old prop) Another cool one is maybe restoring his old service dress uniform. (just make sure no one suggests using it for his funeral in front of him)
Do some research on his plane and you might even be able to find a specially made dvd on that specific job at that time.
Maybe looking up old service buddies, and organizing a reunion.
Old 12-10-2009, 11:44 AM   #7
Sometimes I drink water...
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: TSgt/E6, 3D172, Cyber Transport, NC Air Guard and prior AD
Name: Jamie
jhodge83's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbrico929 View Post
For some reason TSgt was a Mother-F to make...but once you make TSgt..MSgt is pretty easy.
i'm in guard, so anything above Tech is a bitch b/c of slots and we've got 2-3 chiefs that are getting the boot in the next year for hitting 40 years. u get a couple people like that and the rest of us are stuck.
Old 12-15-2009, 04:00 AM   #9
mpgnc64 has much to be proud ofmpgnc64 has much to be proud ofmpgnc64 has much to be proud ofmpgnc64 has much to be proud ofmpgnc64 has much to be proud ofmpgnc64 has much to be proud ofmpgnc64 has much to be proud ofmpgnc64 has much to be proud ofmpgnc64 has much to be proud ofmpgnc64 has much to be proud of

Air Force: Heavy Repair CE
Name: Mike and Denise
mpgnc64's Tacoma Gallery
You can always email the SECDEF and they will sign a letter thanking them for their service, or any living Pres will do it too