Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Military

Notices

who is the highest Military Rank and Pay grade

View Poll Results: What paygrade are you?
E1-E3 120 8.29%
E4 210 14.51%
E5 334 23.08%
E6 182 12.58%
E7-E8 139 9.61%
E9 41 2.83%
CWO2-5 41 2.83%
O1-O2 99 6.84%
O3 77 5.32%
O4 52 3.59%
O5+ (I doubt it) 152 10.50%
Voters: 1447. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-19-2009, 05:04 PM   #42
HOME!!!
solus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: LT, USN
Name: Mark
solus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by gjbonner View Post
Yep the rnaks may be different an dthe jobs different too but an E- or O- whatever gets paid the same no matter what service. E-4 in the Airforce gets paid the same as an E-4 in the Army no matter what job they are doing. the only thing that makes it different is the time they have been in the service because you get raises every year until 4 and then it goes every 2 years ie 6, 8, 10, etc...

We should also point out that even though an E-9 has been in for 20 years or more an O-1 who has only been in 1 year is still senior to the E-9 but no E-9 will ever let a "boot" Lt tell him what to do . So it is more adequate so see who is the senior Enlisted and Senior Officer.

Typically an E-6, O-1 and O-2 are at the same level. and an E-8 will be with and O-3 and E-9s will be with O-4s and higher depending on how long the E-9 has been in his present grade. Enlisted work as advisors to the Officers. they work together to accomplish the mission.

Now for the Marines, when you get to the E-8 and 9 department there is 2 different ranks for each pay grade. 1st Sgt(E-8) and Sgt Major (E-9) is an administrative type job where Master Sgt (E-8) Master Gunnery Sgt(E-9) are in the tactical realm dealling with things necessary to train the troops.

Maybe someone else can shed some light on thier respective services and how they work for the civilian community that has an interest in our posts here.
The relationship between enlisted and Officers is very complicated, in a general term officers are generally in charge of their area of responsibility, but it depends on what level and how senior you are... while technically every officer is higher than ever enlisted seniority plays a huge factor in responsibilities.

In general every component is lead by a Officer w/ and executive assistant Officer and Senior enlisted advisor. Every components "command element" is made up of CO/Department Head/Division officer and XO/assistant, and Department NCO (senior enlisted)

It is very loosely sort of like a corporate structure,
Officers are the managers, while enlisted are the workers, however senior enlisted become advisors to the managers.

Its really difficult to explain the relationship, I was always butting heads with my boats Chief of the Boat (COB, E9, master chief) because I was the Supply Department Head (O2, LTJG) and he always had his hands in my divisions. My Department chief (E7) had dual obligations, to his department (and me) and to the Chiefs Quarter (the COB)

While technically I was senior in rank to the Master Chief, He was senior in service and had more of the COs trust, due to his experience.

Its really difficult relationship when you look at the E7-E8 to the E9 and Officers, Generally every division has a senior non-commission officer who works for the Commissioned Officer but also has a responsibility to the Senior most enlisted in the company/bat/reg/ship/squadron etc etc... so it can create some awkward, painful experiences

Navy structure is:
Work Center (led by NCO)
Division (led by Junior Officer, w/ Junior NCO as advisor)
Department (led by mid-grade officer, w/ mid-grad NCO)
Ship (led by Senior officer, and senior NCO advisor)
Squadron (led by Senior Officer, and Senior NCO advisor)
Group (led by junior Admiral, w/ Senior Officer and Senior NCO as advisor)

so on so forth and depends on the type of ships/aircraft
Old 12-19-2009, 05:31 PM   #43
giddy up!
derekp is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekp is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekp is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekp is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekp is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekp is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekp is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekp is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekp is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekp is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekp is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: 4C071
Name: Derek
derekp's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to derekp
E-6, USAF, 4C0 here...Just moved to Bethesda area. I am now working a joint assignment w/the Army and Navy. A lot to learn in dealing with their ranks/titles. Still confused about the Navy. You can have two E-5s doing similar jobs and have different titles. Not PO2, but call them HN1 or HN2. Learning that plus, I am still studying for WAPS...yee haw!
Old 12-19-2009, 05:44 PM   #44
FACSM is on a distinguished road
Army: CSM
Name: Vic
FACSM's Tacoma Gallery
Retired CSM- E-9 21 YEARS
FIELD ARTILLERY
Old 12-19-2009, 05:49 PM   #45
HOME!!!
solus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: LT, USN
Name: Mark
solus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by FACSM View Post
Retired CSM- E-9 21 YEARS
FIELD ARTILLERY
hooray for the first E9
Old 12-19-2009, 06:08 PM   #46
FACSM is on a distinguished road
Army: CSM
Name: Vic
FACSM's Tacoma Gallery
Hoooah
Old 12-19-2009, 06:27 PM   #48
my money to mod ratio is out of wack
crispytaco is just really nicecrispytaco is just really nicecrispytaco is just really nicecrispytaco is just really nice

Army: 21c Bridge Crewmember  74th eng co(mrbc), 62nd eng bn, 36th eng bd
crispytaco's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to crispytaco
spc us army. almost ready to step up promotion board on 7 jan.
Old 12-19-2009, 06:44 PM   #49
Casualdreamer is on a distinguished road
Marines: 1345/Heavy Equipment Operator
Name: Michael
Casualdreamer's Tacoma Gallery
Sgt/ E-5 U.S.M.C
Old 12-19-2009, 06:56 PM   #51
cabarbhab is one of the sharper tools in the shedcabarbhab is one of the sharper tools in the shedcabarbhab is one of the sharper tools in the shedcabarbhab is one of the sharper tools in the shedcabarbhab is one of the sharper tools in the shedcabarbhab is one of the sharper tools in the shedcabarbhab is one of the sharper tools in the shedcabarbhab is one of the sharper tools in the shedcabarbhab is one of the sharper tools in the shedcabarbhab is one of the sharper tools in the shedcabarbhab is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force:
Name: Andy
cabarbhab's Tacoma Gallery
i am an e-5, staff sergeant in the air force, hopefully on my way to technical sergeant.
Old 12-19-2009, 07:09 PM   #52
JTaco386 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJTaco386 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJTaco386 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJTaco386 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJTaco386 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJTaco386 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJTaco386 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJTaco386 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJTaco386 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJTaco386 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJTaco386 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Flight School
Name: JT
JTaco386's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFGator View Post
Hi, a Warrant here but not a Flight Warrant (I'm a 180A). Last I heard there was a shortage of Flight Warrants and that the flight program was open to all branches of the Miltary, Active or not. If you haven't already, contact the Warrant Flight Branch directly. Cut out the Middle Men who may have a hidden agenda. You are your best Career Manager.
True, I am my own career manager and I'm just now realizing that. I have been talking to the Florida national guard about flying with them and they only have 2 boards a year. I will try to contact the aviation branch to see what they can do, but from what Ive seen ad experienced, it's very competitive. I hate hearing about these high school to flight school guys, but what can you do?
Old 12-19-2009, 07:14 PM   #53
JTaco386 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJTaco386 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJTaco386 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJTaco386 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJTaco386 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJTaco386 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJTaco386 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJTaco386 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJTaco386 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJTaco386 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJTaco386 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Flight School
Name: JT
JTaco386's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakerla View Post
The best way is to go to the reserves, get picked up there, go to Rucker for flight school and then go back to active duty after a few months. I'm not a warrant, but I'm in a reserve attack aviation unit and I've seen it done many times.
Does the board work the same way as active duty? Is there more available slots? I ets in 15 months and need to start planning, I'm done with this ADA b/s.
Old 12-19-2009, 07:38 PM   #54
CJH9980 is a splendid one to beholdCJH9980 is a splendid one to beholdCJH9980 is a splendid one to beholdCJH9980 is a splendid one to beholdCJH9980 is a splendid one to beholdCJH9980 is a splendid one to beholdCJH9980 is a splendid one to behold
Army: RN-Army Reserve 66H
Name: Clint
CJH9980's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by solus694 View Post
its says you're a medic... what is that exactly, different from a Doctor but is it equivalent to our corpsmen but an officer? because in the Navy medics are all enlisted, medical officers are a professional corps, ie Doctors, PAs, Nurses, etc
Actually I USED to be a medic, from 1998-2004. I'm a registered nurse now, and back in May of this year I accepted a commission in the Army Reserve. I guess I should update my profile on here
Old 12-19-2009, 07:39 PM   #55
Low and slow
dually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 14S
dually's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTaco386 View Post
E-5 in the Army. I'm in Air Defense Artillery and trying to get picked up as a flight warrant, so far no luck. Any flight warrants here?
I was just at Alpha (now charlie) Battery for training! 14S FTW! haha
Old 12-19-2009, 07:48 PM   #56
Custom User Title
Zac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: CSAR
Name: Zac
Zac808's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabarbhab View Post
i am an e-5, staff sergeant in the air force, hopefully on my way to technical sergeant.
Are you at Nellis. Post a pic of your truck so I know who I'm waving to.
Old 12-19-2009, 07:49 PM   #57
Finally made it - U.S. Army Retired
cakmakli is one of the sharper tools in the shedcakmakli is one of the sharper tools in the shedcakmakli is one of the sharper tools in the shedcakmakli is one of the sharper tools in the shedcakmakli is one of the sharper tools in the shedcakmakli is one of the sharper tools in the shedcakmakli is one of the sharper tools in the shedcakmakli is one of the sharper tools in the shedcakmakli is one of the sharper tools in the shedcakmakli is one of the sharper tools in the shedcakmakli is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Military Police
cakmakli's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFGator View Post
Hi, a Warrant here but not a Flight Warrant (I'm a 180A). Last I heard there was a shortage of Flight Warrants and that the flight program was open to all branches of the Miltary, Active or not. If you haven't already, contact the Warrant Flight Branch directly. Cut out the Middle Men who may have a hidden agenda. You are your best Career Manager.
In case you guys don't know, 180A is a Special Forces Warrant Officer.

I know how modest you guys are and I hope you don't mind Gator but you deserve to be recognized.

In my case I'm a MSG (E8) and have 26 years of service. I start my Terminal Leave Dec 30 and will be placed on the retired list April 1.
Old 12-19-2009, 08:03 PM   #58
Finally made it - U.S. Army Retired
cakmakli is one of the sharper tools in the shedcakmakli is one of the sharper tools in the shedcakmakli is one of the sharper tools in the shedcakmakli is one of the sharper tools in the shedcakmakli is one of the sharper tools in the shedcakmakli is one of the sharper tools in the shedcakmakli is one of the sharper tools in the shedcakmakli is one of the sharper tools in the shedcakmakli is one of the sharper tools in the shedcakmakli is one of the sharper tools in the shedcakmakli is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Military Police
cakmakli's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTaco386 View Post
True, I am my own career manager and I'm just now realizing that. I have been talking to the Florida national guard about flying with them and they only have 2 boards a year. I will try to contact the aviation branch to see what they can do, but from what Ive seen ad experienced, it's very competitive. I hate hearing about these high school to flight school guys, but what can you do?
I recruit Warrant Officers (or used to) for the Army Reserve. That includes Technical and Flight. My AO is PA, NJ, and DE. The problem is that we are limited in how many Aviation Packets we can submit for the Army Reserve. This year my area was only allowed one. Last year it was four. This number in determined by USARC G-1. I had 8 Soldiers ready to drop packets for FY10 but could only submit one.

The other problem is that you would also have to have to either already be in the Army Reserve or have your current unit commander sign a Conditional Release which states that if you are selected you will be released from the Regular Army. This is easier said then done.

If you will PM me I can put you in touch with the POC for your area. Tell me what state you are looking to move to or you can go here and do it yourself LINK. They might have more allocations and may not have filled theirs already.

Also FYI, there are six DA Warrant Officer Boards a year - not two. And because you are Aviation your packet does not have to be reviewed by a Proponent Chief but goes direct to the DA Board.

If you have not already done so, I would recommend that you take the Alternate Flight Aptitude Selection Test (AFAST). A score of 90 or higher is required. You can go here for a sample Flight Packet and other prerequisites. LINK
Old 12-19-2009, 08:03 PM   #59
cantspele is on a distinguished road
Army: 1SG
cantspele's Tacoma Gallery
E-8 w/ 23 years, 2 knees, 1 Shoulder, a back, hearing, and counting......
Old 12-19-2009, 08:08 PM   #60
Sticks For Troops
AFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: (2T2X1)Air Force Rigger
Name: "Butters"
AFButters's Tacoma Gallery
should have made it public...i think we got some liars