Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Military

Notices

who is the highest Military Rank and Pay grade

View Poll Results: What paygrade are you?
E1-E3 124 8.45%
E4 212 14.44%
E5 341 23.23%
E6 182 12.40%
E7-E8 144 9.81%
E9 41 2.79%
CWO2-5 42 2.86%
O1-O2 99 6.74%
O3 78 5.31%
O4 52 3.54%
O5+ (I doubt it) 153 10.42%
Voters: 1468. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-06-2013, 10:21 AM   #641
60driver has a brilliant future60driver has a brilliant future60driver has a brilliant future60driver has a brilliant future60driver has a brilliant future60driver has a brilliant future60driver has a brilliant future60driver has a brilliant future60driver has a brilliant future60driver has a brilliant future60driver has a brilliant future

Army:
Name: Sean
60driver's Tacoma Gallery
Its not too bad, nice beaches 2hrs away, small post with new on post housing, just get used to the constant rotor noise. Pm me if/when ur looking for a place to live etc. and I'll give you some more info.
Old 01-06-2013, 10:36 AM   #642
JTaco386 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJTaco386 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJTaco386 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJTaco386 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJTaco386 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJTaco386 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJTaco386 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJTaco386 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJTaco386 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJTaco386 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJTaco386 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Flight School
Name: JT
JTaco386's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 60driver View Post
Its not too bad, nice beaches 2hrs away, small post with new on post housing, just get used to the constant rotor noise. Pm me if/when ur looking for a place to live etc. and I'll give you some more info.
Thanks! I plan on living on base. I think it will be easier on the family, we live on base now at fort sill and its brand new housing.
Old 01-06-2013, 03:43 PM   #643
Goof Ball
pra4sno is one of the sharper tools in the shedpra4sno is one of the sharper tools in the shedpra4sno is one of the sharper tools in the shedpra4sno is one of the sharper tools in the shedpra4sno is one of the sharper tools in the shedpra4sno is one of the sharper tools in the shedpra4sno is one of the sharper tools in the shedpra4sno is one of the sharper tools in the shedpra4sno is one of the sharper tools in the shedpra4sno is one of the sharper tools in the shedpra4sno is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
pra4sno's Tacoma Gallery
Marines.

Combat Engineer for 3 years, Embassy Guard for 3 years.
Old 01-06-2013, 03:49 PM   #644
Bennett4160 is on a distinguished road
Army: Chief Warrant Officer Four, US Army Aviation, Retired 2011 after 25 years
Name: Bennett
Bennett4160's Tacoma Gallery
Chief Warrant Officer Four, US Army Aviation, Retired 2011 after 25 years.
Old 01-12-2013, 10:38 PM   #645
daleyswanson is on a distinguished road
Army: 153A
daleyswanson's Tacoma Gallery
WO1 in flight training at Ft. Rucker
Old 01-12-2013, 11:37 PM   #646
JTaco386 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJTaco386 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJTaco386 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJTaco386 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJTaco386 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJTaco386 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJTaco386 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJTaco386 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJTaco386 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJTaco386 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJTaco386 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Flight School
Name: JT
JTaco386's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by daleyswanson View Post
WO1 in flight training at Ft. Rucker
How's it going so far? I'll be there this summer sometime.
Old 01-18-2013, 05:46 PM   #647
Odbc5 is on a distinguished road
Air Force: Aircraft mechanic
Name: Dave
Odbc5's Tacoma Gallery
e-6 USAF apg
Old 01-18-2013, 06:14 PM   #648
TorqueJunkie is on a distinguished road
Air Force: Fighter Crew Chief
TorqueJunkie's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Odbc5 View Post
e-6 USAF apg
What airframe?
Old 01-19-2013, 12:55 PM   #649
mxxdude has a spectacular aura aboutmxxdude has a spectacular aura about

Army: Military Police
Name: Brandon
mxxdude's Tacoma Gallery
PFC USAR/ MS1 cadet ROTC my enlisted self outranks myself in cadet land lol
Old 02-05-2013, 11:01 PM   #650
tacomavol87 is on a distinguished road

Army: Tank Platoon Leader, TN Army National Guard
Name: Caleb
tacomavol87's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by gjbonner View Post
Yep the rnaks may be different an dthe jobs different too but an E- or O- whatever gets paid the same no matter what service. E-4 in the Airforce gets paid the same as an E-4 in the Army no matter what job they are doing. the only thing that makes it different is the time they have been in the service because you get raises every year until 4 and then it goes every 2 years ie 6, 8, 10, etc...

We should also point out that even though an E-9 has been in for 20 years or more an O-1 who has only been in 1 year is still senior to the E-9 but no E-9 will ever let a "boot" Lt tell him what to do . So it is more adequate so see who is the senior Enlisted and Senior Officer.

Typically an E-6, O-1 and O-2 are at the same level. and an E-8 will be with and O-3 and E-9s will be with O-4s and higher depending on how long the E-9 has been in his present grade. Enlisted work as advisors to the Officers. they work together to accomplish the mission.

Now for the Marines, when you get to the E-8 and 9 department there is 2 different ranks for each pay grade. 1st Sgt(E-8) and Sgt Major (E-9) is an administrative type job where Master Sgt (E-8) Master Gunnery Sgt(E-9) are in the tactical realm dealling with things necessary to train the troops.

Maybe someone else can shed some light on thier respective services and how they work for the civilian community that has an interest in our posts here.
0-1P here, and in the Army, E-8 (Master Sergeant) is on the admin/training side of the house, whereas E-8 (1SG) is tactical. We don't specify between the different levels of E-9, other than the placement in a unit heirarchy. The longer you have been E-9, the higher grade of commissioned officer you work with.
Old 02-05-2013, 11:03 PM   #651
tacomavol87 is on a distinguished road

Army: Tank Platoon Leader, TN Army National Guard
Name: Caleb
tacomavol87's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mxxdude View Post
PFC USAR/ MS1 cadet ROTC my enlisted self outranks myself in cadet land lol
Believe it or not, technically you don't. Rank structure is as follows: Commissioned officers, Warrant officers, Academy commissionees, Other Commissionees, Enlisted Personnel. Although as a former ROTC cadet, I would advise you to keep that mindset lol.
Old 02-06-2013, 07:23 PM   #652
PreRunner
stitch is on a distinguished road

Army: ch-47 TI
Name: Erick
stitch's Tacoma Gallery
i think me and my fellow e5s have yall beat. huyaa!!!
Old 02-06-2013, 08:13 PM   #653
hiroslammer is on a distinguished road
Marines: Major USMC
hiroslammer's Tacoma Gallery
Active duty USMC Major stationed in Dallas/Fort Worth TX, after 6 years on Kaneohe Bay, HI.
Old 02-07-2013, 04:24 AM   #654
MadMedic35 is on a distinguished road
MadMedic35's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomavol87 View Post
Believe it or not, technically you don't. Rank structure is as follows: Commissioned officers, Warrant officers, Academy commissionees, Other Commissionees, Enlisted Personnel. Although as a former ROTC cadet, I would advise you to keep that mindset lol.

I got a former Citadel cadet as a TL and MSG as my TM Sgt who would laugh at this BS. Any cadet comes to my team room better be ready to GTFO. A cadet from the Academy or any ROTC has not commissioned and as such is afforded all respect due their rank....none. Just messing though. When I was still in the Infantry we had a Cadet for a month over the summer and our CPT PL had fun tasking him to do what we, lower enlisted, needed done.
Old 02-12-2013, 03:09 PM   #655
abides.
Brunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: LT- CG MH-65C/D Driver- CGAS NOLA
Name: Mark
Brunes's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Brunes
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMedic35 View Post
I got a former Citadel cadet as a TL and MSG as my TM Sgt who would laugh at this BS. Any cadet comes to my team room better be ready to GTFO. A cadet from the Academy or any ROTC has not commissioned and as such is afforded all respect due their rank....none. Just messing though. When I was still in the Infantry we had a Cadet for a month over the summer and our CPT PL had fun tasking him to do what we, lower enlisted, needed done.
There is a significant difference in the way a cadet is treated, but the fact remains they do officially outrank you. It's on you and your guys to teach them what they need to be to help you do your job...cause while they don't have commissions as cadets, they likely will in a few short years and if you don't take the time to teach them a few things they'll be that much harder to deal with.
On the flip side...a smart cadet won't ever tell you they outrank you...or even open their mouth much...
Old 02-13-2013, 11:01 AM   #656
Voyager is on a distinguished road

Army: retired Army officer
Name: Bob
Voyager's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMedic35 View Post
I hope the “lessons” your organization instilled in that cadet are not coming back to haunt our young men and women in the box right now.
Old 02-17-2013, 07:12 AM   #657
TENNESSEE VOL
burnseason has much to be proud ofburnseason has much to be proud ofburnseason has much to be proud ofburnseason has much to be proud ofburnseason has much to be proud ofburnseason has much to be proud ofburnseason has much to be proud ofburnseason has much to be proud ofburnseason has much to be proud ofburnseason has much to be proud of

Army: CPT (Public Affairs Officer) OEF 11-12, RC East
Name: Tucker
burnseason's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to burnseason
Active duty O-3, USA, fort lee va. Public affairs officer. Definitely not the most paid or highest ranking.
Old 02-17-2013, 07:13 AM   #658
Long time lurker, first time poster.
Nirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: Snipe
Name: Kris
Nirvana's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunes View Post
There is a significant difference in the way a cadet is treated, but the fact remains they do officially outrank you. It's on you and your guys to teach them what they need to be to help you do your job...cause while they don't have commissions as cadets, they likely will in a few short years and if you don't take the time to teach them a few things they'll be that much harder to deal with.
On the flip side...a smart cadet won't ever tell you they outrank you...or even open their mouth much...
Not so sure about the CG because I've been ashore most of my 5 years but I had an Army 1 Sgt that said when he got a new Lt the first thing he said was shut your mouth and follow my lead. I don't know if you'd find many O1s or O2s that would pipe up against an E7 or higher but once you Os pin on those double bars...

Back on topic, change my vote to E5.
Old 02-17-2013, 07:18 AM   #659
Cwpick76 is on a distinguished road

Army: IT
Name: CW
Cwpick76's Tacoma Gallery
Army Reserve WO-1
Old 02-17-2013, 06:02 PM   #660
SandDiesel is on a distinguished road
Marines: 25 years! Retired.
SandDiesel's Tacoma Gallery
MSgt of Marines. Retired in 2012 after a brief 25 years in aviation. Had a blast. Rank, age, or branch of service doesn't matter, appreciate everyone of ya.