LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Military

Notices

Thinking of Joining the Air Force

Old 12-21-2009, 11:41 AM   #21
08WhiteTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed08WhiteTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed08WhiteTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed08WhiteTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed08WhiteTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed08WhiteTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed08WhiteTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed08WhiteTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed08WhiteTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed08WhiteTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed08WhiteTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force:
Name: Ben
08WhiteTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Do it. It is one of the most secure jobs around right now. You really have no chance of getting "laid off" or kicked out unless you do something really stupid. I would suggest that any jobs you find you might want to do research them and ask about them on here. There are a lot of people here that can give you advise about almost any job that you can pick. And my girlfriend said don't pick ammo (Munitions Systems 2W0.) She is in it and hates it!!!
Old 12-21-2009, 11:44 AM   #22
NoBody is on a distinguished road

Air Force: Retired
NoBody's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 08WhiteTRD View Post
Do it. It is one of the most secure jobs around right now. You really have no chance of getting "laid off" or kicked out unless you do something really stupid.
That's the wrong reason to join. Do it to serve your country, do it for adventure, do it because it's a "calling." Job security and a steady paycheck won't mean jack when you're in Afghanistan or Iraq.
Old 12-21-2009, 11:50 AM   #23
Custom User Title
Zac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: CSAR
Name: Zac
Zac808's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoBody View Post
That's the wrong reason to join. Do it to serve your country, do it for adventure, do it because it's a "calling." Job security and a steady paycheck won't mean jack when you're in Afghanistan or Iraq.
Sorry to derail, but when I joined I had no idea I was gonna get paid. There is no history of military in my family so I had no clue on what to expect. All I knew was they were gonna feed me and give me a place to live. Getting paid is a bonus to everything else.
Old 12-21-2009, 12:23 PM   #24
08WhiteTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed08WhiteTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed08WhiteTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed08WhiteTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed08WhiteTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed08WhiteTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed08WhiteTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed08WhiteTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed08WhiteTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed08WhiteTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed08WhiteTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force:
Name: Ben
08WhiteTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoBody View Post

I wasn't meaning that he do it only for job security. He has been thinking about it for a while now so I am only guess that he has other reasons than that for joining. I said that because he just got laid off. Even recruiters will tell you that there is job security in the military. I do think that he should join to serve his country. That is one of the reasons I joined.
Old 12-21-2009, 01:14 PM   #25
TheOtherGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheOtherGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheOtherGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheOtherGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheOtherGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheOtherGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheOtherGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheOtherGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheOtherGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheOtherGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheOtherGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army: 63B
TheOtherGuy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 08WhiteTRD View Post
I wasn't meaning that he do it only for job security. He has been thinking about it for a while now so I am only guess that he has other reasons than that for joining. I said that because he just got laid off. Even recruiters will tell you that there is job security in the military. I do think that he should join to serve his country. That is one of the reasons I joined.
Many recuiters will tell you anything. Be sure to do your own research and don't just believe what a recuiter tells you. I had an Honest recuiter but I have heard many bad stories from my buddies about dishonest recuiters.
Old 12-21-2009, 01:16 PM   #26
giddy up!
derekp is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekp is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekp is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekp is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekp is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekp is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekp is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekp is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekp is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekp is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekp is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: 4C071
Name: Derek
derekp's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to derekp
Taco969...It is great that you want to join the USAF. I did a google search for practice ASVAB and found several sites you can use. An important question is "What do you like to do?" or "What are you good at doing now?" At your age, you have developed a certain set of skills already. Look at jobs that might use those skills. Posting that information here might help the other folks give you ideas of jobs out there. Unfortunately, there are a small amount of recruiters that look at numbers instead of quality recruiting relationships (NOT ALL RECRUITERS ARE LIKE THIS!!). Saying that, a recruiter might just want to get a recruit in the service not worrying if the job fits the recruit. Posting some of your strengths/areas of improvement here might assist us guiding you in the right career choice. Again, congrats on choosing the military!
Old 12-21-2009, 01:36 PM   #27
HOME!!!
solus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: LT, USN
Name: Mark
solus's Tacoma Gallery
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Go Navy
Old 12-21-2009, 01:46 PM   #28
The "Search" tab is your friend!!
steviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force:
Name: Steve
steviestyles's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by solus694 View Post
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Go Navy
Never
Again
Volunteer
Yourself

Old 12-21-2009, 06:49 PM   #29
Motivator
YayAreaTaco0311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYayAreaTaco0311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYayAreaTaco0311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYayAreaTaco0311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYayAreaTaco0311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYayAreaTaco0311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYayAreaTaco0311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYayAreaTaco0311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYayAreaTaco0311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYayAreaTaco0311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYayAreaTaco0311 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: Police Caller
YayAreaTaco0311's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by steviestyles View Post
Never
Again
Volunteer
Yourself

Unless you enjoy trying to pick up liquid soap off the shower floor...
Old 12-21-2009, 06:54 PM   #31
HOME!!!
solus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

solus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by steviestyles View Post
Never
Again
Volunteer
Yourself

Air Force: sit, push buttons, mission complete
Old 12-21-2009, 07:20 PM   #34
Alan-in-NC will become famous soon enoughAlan-in-NC will become famous soon enough

Name: Alan
Alan-in-NC's Tacoma Gallery
Only you can answer that... I'm an Army brat, lived all over the world. I've had friends who've joined and it was the best thing that happened to them. And then again, I've had friends who joined and it was the worst thing for them. I knew I didn't have the tolerance for military life, having grown up with it. I like doing what I want, when I want. Once you join the military, you give all that up, and then you become "re-socialized" to fit into the military mindset. Some people really need that discipline, but for others, it's a nightmare. Good luck.
Old 12-21-2009, 07:21 PM   #35
sometimes nonsense is the only sense someone has
rhodehard09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhodehard09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhodehard09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhodehard09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhodehard09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhodehard09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhodehard09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhodehard09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhodehard09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhodehard09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhodehard09 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ryan
rhodehard09's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan-in-NC View Post
Only you can answer that... I'm an Army brat, lived all over the world. I've had friends who've joined and it was the best thing that happened to them. And then again, I've had friends who joined and it was the worst thing for them. I knew I didn't have the tolerance for military life, having grown up with it. I like doing what I want, when I want. Once you join the military, you give all that up, and then you become "re-socialized" to fit into the military mindset. Some people really need that discipline, but for others, it's a nightmare. Good luck.
x10!!!!
Old 12-21-2009, 09:19 PM   #36
Taco969 will become famous soon enoughTaco969 will become famous soon enough

Air Force: AFE
Taco969's Tacoma Gallery
I am currently a carpenter so I have skills in that department for sure! I also worked for 4 years as a tractor mechanic. As far as a waiting list, i have not heard that, my brother in law just joined a month ago and there was no waiting list.
Old 12-21-2009, 09:49 PM   #37
HOME!!!

solus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhodehard09 View Post
oh yeh, i forgot, swabbing the deck in bell-bottoms is a much more mission-essential role.

we all held our positions in the service to help achieve the same goal. however small the role is it all adds up to create the worlds strongest millitary force.
intra-service rivalry is where its at
Old 12-21-2009, 10:34 PM   #38
Jedi7Taco is a glorious beacon of lightJedi7Taco is a glorious beacon of lightJedi7Taco is a glorious beacon of lightJedi7Taco is a glorious beacon of lightJedi7Taco is a glorious beacon of light

Marines: 0621 Field Radio Operator, Cpl
Name: Josh
Jedi7Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Not trying to jack your thread,

To all the officers on this thread, I am looking at joining as an officer,
what is the process? My recruiter is a piece of shit and is either too busy
or doesn't really want to help. I am putting in my application this week,
what happens after that?

Thanks for the help
Old 12-21-2009, 11:09 PM   #39
HOME!!!

solus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi7Taco View Post
Not trying to jack your thread,

To all the officers on this thread, I am looking at joining as an officer,
what is the process? My recruiter is a piece of shit and is either too busy
or doesn't really want to help. I am putting in my application this week,
what happens after that?

Thanks for the help
Sorry I did a delayed entry type deal and my recruiter was real helpful... might I suggest you talk to the officer recruiter not the enlisted recruiter
Old 12-22-2009, 06:14 AM   #40
giddy up!
derekp is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekp is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekp is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekp is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekp is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekp is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekp is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekp is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekp is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekp is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekp is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: 4C071
Name: Derek
derekp's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to derekp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco969 View Post
I am currently a carpenter so I have skills in that department for sure! I also worked for 4 years as a tractor mechanic. As far as a waiting list, i have not heard that, my brother in law just joined a month ago and there was no waiting list.
If you want to continue w/those skills you can look into Structures in CE. They do some carpentry work and some metal work. Vehicle Maintenance in Logistics, Small Engine repair in AGE are mechanical jobs, just to name a few. Both of those AFSCs have a fairly high deployment rate. I am sure there are a few folks on the boards that could elaborate on these jobs...I know one guy that here that used to do AGE. I'll see if I can round him up for you.

If there is something else that peaks your interest, ask us now. I know these folks would love to help you make an informed decision before you sign. Being happy with your job is what really makes it fun.

Derek P