Notices

Thinking of Joining the Air Force

Old 12-22-2009, 08:24 AM   #41
Taco969 will become famous soon enoughTaco969 will become famous soon enough

Air Force: AFE
Taco969's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by derekp View Post
If you want to continue w/those skills you can look into Structures in CE. They do some carpentry work and some metal work. Vehicle Maintenance in Logistics, Small Engine repair in AGE are mechanical jobs, just to name a few. Both of those AFSCs have a fairly high deployment rate. I am sure there are a few folks on the boards that could elaborate on these jobs...I know one guy that here that used to do AGE. I'll see if I can round him up for you.

If there is something else that peaks your interest, ask us now. I know these folks would love to help you make an informed decision before you sign. Being happy with your job is what really makes it fun.

Derek P
By high deployment, do you mean lots of jobs, or high chance for going over seas?
Old 12-22-2009, 08:35 AM   #42
Custom User Title
Zac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: CSAR
Name: Zac
Zac808's Tacoma Gallery
He means being overseas at the "suck".
Old 12-22-2009, 10:26 AM   #43
giddy up!
derekp is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekp is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekp is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekp is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekp is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekp is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekp is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekp is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekp is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekp is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekp is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: 4C071
Name: Derek
derekp's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to derekp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco969 View Post
By high deployment, do you mean lots of jobs, or high chance for going over seas?
Deployment = Trips to the desert. These are great ways to make money. Great if you are single, stressful if you are married.
Old 12-22-2009, 01:30 PM   #44
Custom User Title
Zac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Zac808's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by derekp View Post
Deployment = Trips to the desert. These are great ways to make money. Great if you are single, stressful if you are married.
Also, sometimes "Great" if your married.
Old 12-22-2009, 03:33 PM   #45
Reznor88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedReznor88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedReznor88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedReznor88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedReznor88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedReznor88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedReznor88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedReznor88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedReznor88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedReznor88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedReznor88 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
Name: Mike
Reznor88's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFGator View Post
Be a man and join the Infantry.
Unless you have a High School Diploma...in that case do anything other than Infantry.

Seriously though, make sure you get something that translates back over to the real world. With my job I've got nothing to fall back on when I get out so cross-training is in my near future.
Old 12-22-2009, 03:37 PM   #46
Sticks For Troops
AFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: (2T2X1)Air Force Rigger
Name: "Butters"
AFButters's Tacoma Gallery
Air Transportation USAF.. Basicly like the Post Office/Public AirPort on Steriods.. like today we loaded like 300 Tons of Cargo, including 2 bulletproof tacomas, and a couple humves.. along with like 40 pallets..

Plus the garenteed paycheck, free health insurace, money to cover rent and food, and oppurtunity to travel the world.. ( and not just iraq and Afghanastan)
Old 12-22-2009, 03:38 PM   #47
Sticks For Troops
AFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: (2T2X1)Air Force Rigger
Name: "Butters"
AFButters's Tacoma Gallery
before you deside on anything take the ASVAB and do your physical.. check color vision depth perception etc.. it can make a big difference in job selection
Old 12-22-2009, 04:56 PM   #48
Taco969 will become famous soon enoughTaco969 will become famous soon enough

Air Force: AFE
Taco969's Tacoma Gallery
Smile

I appreciate all the help everyone. If I think of anything to ask I certainly will. I will also keep you updated on how testing went and so on.
Old 12-22-2009, 05:55 PM   #49
nelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Ex-Cone
nelson18matt's Tacoma Gallery
i say look into all the diff jobs, it's the military and there are so many unique jobs that are only avail in the service. so what if it doesn't transfer into the civilian world. do what interests you and whats gonna make you happy. like said above, look into the "cool guy jobs" if you have the desire and drive for that kind of work, i loved getting paid to jump out of planes, dive and sleep in the snow
Old 12-22-2009, 06:11 PM   #50
Yo homie, that my briefcase?
ColdZeroBSP is a splendid one to beholdColdZeroBSP is a splendid one to beholdColdZeroBSP is a splendid one to beholdColdZeroBSP is a splendid one to beholdColdZeroBSP is a splendid one to beholdColdZeroBSP is a splendid one to beholdColdZeroBSP is a splendid one to beholdColdZeroBSP is a splendid one to behold

Name: Geoff
ColdZeroBSP's Tacoma Gallery
Just make sure you don't have any medical disqualifiers before you get your hopes up. I tried to join ANG, Air Force and Marines and got shot down by friggen MEPS every time.
Old 12-22-2009, 06:42 PM   #51
"Kill BABIES"
Re8elmonk0341 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRe8elmonk0341 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRe8elmonk0341 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRe8elmonk0341 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRe8elmonk0341 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRe8elmonk0341 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRe8elmonk0341 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRe8elmonk0341 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRe8elmonk0341 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRe8elmonk0341 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRe8elmonk0341 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: 3rd Bn 7th Marine Kilo Co. Weapons PLT - Infantry Mortarman
Name: m0nk
Re8elmonk0341's Tacoma Gallery
I'm in the Marine Corps Infantry. No disrespect to any of the other branches but I can't stand to do any pussy ass job (MOS)/branch. As far as doing something that will get you a job in the outside world....I think that's BS!!! There's plenty of jobs out there that pays well...Ya'll just need to think outside the box.
Old 12-22-2009, 09:23 PM   #52
Motivator
YayAreaTaco0311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYayAreaTaco0311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYayAreaTaco0311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYayAreaTaco0311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYayAreaTaco0311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYayAreaTaco0311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYayAreaTaco0311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYayAreaTaco0311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYayAreaTaco0311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYayAreaTaco0311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYayAreaTaco0311 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: Police Caller
YayAreaTaco0311's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Re8elmonk0341 View Post
I'm in the Marine Corps Infantry. No disrespect to any of the other branches but I can't stand to do any pussy ass job (MOS)/branch. As far as doing something that will get you a job in the outside world....I think that's BS!!! There's plenty of jobs out there that pays well...Ya'll just need to think outside the box.
Kill bodies!!!

0311!!! OOH RAH!!
Old 12-23-2009, 05:37 AM   #53
j83soldier is one of the sharper tools in the shedj83soldier is one of the sharper tools in the shedj83soldier is one of the sharper tools in the shedj83soldier is one of the sharper tools in the shedj83soldier is one of the sharper tools in the shedj83soldier is one of the sharper tools in the shedj83soldier is one of the sharper tools in the shedj83soldier is one of the sharper tools in the shedj83soldier is one of the sharper tools in the shedj83soldier is one of the sharper tools in the shedj83soldier is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army:
Name: joshua
j83soldier's Tacoma Gallery
ok here we go, here starts the age old argument between combat arms and POGS. I dont buy into the 'infantry are dumb' bs. Im a scout and yes you dont have to be smart to get the job. To do the job and do it well you have to be smart and versitile. Ive seen many a smart guy go to shit while getting shot at. For combat arms you need to be able to react and prioritize many different assets in a time critical enviorement. Plus who joins the armed forces to sit at a desk. I have many stories not one involves air conditioning, a chow hall or showers. Join combat arms and all you need are your boots screw the airforce
Old 12-23-2009, 09:18 AM   #54
NoBody is on a distinguished road

Air Force: Retired
NoBody's Tacoma Gallery
ROFL! This is some funny stuff being posted!
Old 12-23-2009, 09:21 AM   #55
Custom User Title

Zac808's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Do what you like and as an old wise man said “you’ll never work a day in your life”.
Best I've ever heard.
Old 12-23-2009, 12:36 PM   #56
Motivator
YayAreaTaco0311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYayAreaTaco0311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYayAreaTaco0311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYayAreaTaco0311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYayAreaTaco0311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYayAreaTaco0311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYayAreaTaco0311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYayAreaTaco0311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYayAreaTaco0311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYayAreaTaco0311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYayAreaTaco0311 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: Police Caller
YayAreaTaco0311's Tacoma Gallery
In the combat arms field, all you need are 3 things:

1) your trigger finger
2) your feet
3) at least 2 fingers so you can conduct police call ops.
Old 12-23-2009, 01:03 PM   #57

NoBody's Tacoma Gallery
Police call??? You mean the Marines and army don't contract that out?
Old 12-23-2009, 01:09 PM   #58
Kenobe is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenobe is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenobe is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenobe is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenobe is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenobe is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenobe is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenobe is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenobe is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenobe is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenobe is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force: MSgt
Kenobe's Tacoma Gallery
Smile

LOL!

Lots of reasons to join any branch. USAF retired here. I've had plenty of reasons to love and hate the Air Force.

I've spent lots of time with the Army and I say this; love Army people but I think the Army learned to run things from Forrest Gump.

Marines, nothing but love. Couldn't be one personally.

Navy, screw sleeping on a ship for 6 months!
Old 12-23-2009, 01:10 PM   #59

NoBody's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Hey NoBody,
Which Ranger Bat do you support? U CCT?
I was a TACP with Regiment and 3rd BN. Retired now.
Old 12-23-2009, 01:31 PM   #60

NoBody's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Cool, still in the Benning area? I was there recently and with the exception of the new Museum the place hasn't changed. Hung out at the Cannon Pub a bunch.
No, I retired from Ft Bragg last year and then moved. I'll be moving back next year.

Who were you with...3rd or 7th SFG? I took some classes out in Linden, NC, with Larry Vickers and Kyle Lamb. I hope to do so again next year.