Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Military

Notices

Thinking of Joining the Air Force

Old 12-21-2009, 10:20 AM   #1
Taco969 will become famous soon enoughTaco969 will become famous soon enough

Air Force: AFE
Taco969's Tacoma Gallery
Thinking of Joining the Air Force

I'm 24 years old and have thought of the Military for a long time. For the last couple months(being laid off again!) the thought of having a job to go to everyday got my gears going to join again. I recently started my work out routine and am going talk to the recruiter this week. Just wanted to get some input from some other people who are in the Air Force or any branch. Any advice? What kinda jobs do you have? Thanks for your time, I greatly appreciate it!
Old 12-21-2009, 10:21 AM   #2
I've got so much soul in me that I'm barely alive.
Zombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AMMO (2W0)
Name: Kevin
Zombie Runner's Tacoma Gallery
I was an Ammo troop. 2W0 was the career field. it was a decent job. but not much for it in the civillian world. I was a E-4...Senior Airman when I got out after 4 years

study up and try and get a high score on the ASVAB. the higher your score the more/better job selection you will have.
Old 12-21-2009, 10:25 AM   #3
NoBody is on a distinguished road

Air Force: Retired
NoBody's Tacoma Gallery
Retired USAF here....feel free to ask me any questions. It's a great honor to service our country.

I've been a bit of a Jack of all trades...flown, jumped, shot, humped...
Old 12-21-2009, 10:26 AM   #4
DOERanger has much to be proud ofDOERanger has much to be proud ofDOERanger has much to be proud ofDOERanger has much to be proud ofDOERanger has much to be proud ofDOERanger has much to be proud ofDOERanger has much to be proud ofDOERanger has much to be proud ofDOERanger has much to be proud of

Army: Military Police
Name: Jordan
DOERanger's Tacoma Gallery
Do it. You will never regret it. I was Army and every single one of my friends wished they would've gone into the Air Force because of the added benefits and working environment.
Go into a job that will carry over into the civilian world. Go into this expecting to get out after your contract is up. If you want to stay in afterwards, well, all the better. Pick a job you'll be interested in and you can do for years and years.
Don't stress too much on physical fitness except for cardio.
Good Luck!
Old 12-21-2009, 10:30 AM   #5
The "Search" tab is your friend!!
steviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force:
Name: Steve
steviestyles's Tacoma Gallery
What do you want to do? The Air Force will give you options on what career you want to go into based on your ASVAB scores. My recommendation is to have an idea what career path you want to go instead of going open general; unless you want to be a cook in the dinning hall or handing out towels in the fitness center. Check out www.airforce.com and look at enlisted oprortunities to get an idea of what job you want. I've been in 15 years; if you have any question ask via PM. More than happy to help.
Old 12-21-2009, 10:30 AM   #6
GAS has a spectacular aura aboutGAS has a spectacular aura aboutGAS has a spectacular aura about

Air Force: pilot
Name: Greg
GAS's Tacoma Gallery
Do you have a college degree? I'm a pilot in the reserves and have been on active orders almost the whole past 4 years. Good thing about the reserves is you have options to do another job if you choose too later on and still have a back up. Orders depend on your career field and will eventually dry out, but the ball is in your court (for the most part). You don't have to move, unless you want to and know what you are going to do before you join. If you do not have a college degree and still want to fly, you can look at being a loadmaster, boom operator.. etc. If you don't want to be part of an aircrew there is just about anything you can think of also. I have a bunch of buddies doing the active side, and enjoy it too, but most want to come over to the reserve side. For 100% job security, the active side may be the way to go, and you don't have to worry about orders drying up.

Good luck, pm me if you have another questions.
Old 12-21-2009, 10:32 AM   #7
I've got so much soul in me that I'm barely alive.
Zombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AMMO (2W0)
Name: Kevin
Zombie Runner's Tacoma Gallery
I would say go reserves and you can switch over to active if you want to. I think?
Old 12-21-2009, 10:36 AM   #8
steviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keason1* View Post
I would say go reserves and you can switch over to active if you want to. I think?
It's not as easy to do so as you think...
Old 12-21-2009, 10:38 AM   #9
GAS has a spectacular aura aboutGAS has a spectacular aura aboutGAS has a spectacular aura about

GAS's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by steviestyles View Post
It's not as easy to do so as you think...
It's not too hard, there just has to be a need. We have recently had several go back to active to get there full time retirements. It isn't just "i want to got active now" take time and a lot of paper work.
Old 12-21-2009, 10:40 AM   #10

Taco969's Tacoma Gallery
Yes, I am looking at active. I have been looking at all the job possibilties, they seem endless! As far at the testing, is there a practice or warm up test I can take online?
Old 12-21-2009, 10:42 AM   #11

Taco969's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOERanger View Post
Good Luck!
Yeah, I haven't been hitting the weights trying to buff up, I have been just running my ass off! With a little extra just as long as I'm at the gym, haha
Old 12-21-2009, 10:42 AM   #12

GAS's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco969 View Post
Yes, I am looking at active. I have been looking at all the job possibilties, they seem endless! As far at the testing, is there a practice or warm up test I can take online?
Go to a book store and they have the ASEV and AFOQT study guides with give you a lot of practice on what to expect. Study those hard and do well, If you don't do well take it again.
Old 12-21-2009, 10:43 AM   #13
Air Force:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAS View Post
It's not too hard, there just has to be a need. We have recently had several go back to active to get there full time retirements. It isn't just "i want to got active now" take time and a lot of paper work.
There's your answer....there has to be a need. Right now the Air Force is going through another round of cuts to downsize. It might be easy going back to active duty if you are already a trained pilot, but for Enlisted career fields it's not that easy. I've seen about a dozen or so folks from my Reserve counterparts try to go active and all but one were turned down. The best bet is to go active duty for 4-6 years, try it out and gor Reserve if full time is not your cup of tea. Second thing to remember is the Reserve point system and promotions don't necessarily translate equally on active duty.
Old 12-21-2009, 10:44 AM   #14

Taco969's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAS View Post
Go to a book store and they have the ASEV and AFOQT study guides with give you a lot of practice on what to expect. Study those hard and do well, If you don't do well take it again.
I will do that, Thanks!
Old 12-21-2009, 10:49 AM   #15
Custom User Title
Zac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: CSAR
Name: Zac
Zac808's Tacoma Gallery
Just do eet. Figure out what you enjoy doing: Administrative work, computer's, turning wrenches, hospital stuff, police, flying on aircraft. The oppurtunities are endless. Of course depending on your ASVAB score.
Old 12-21-2009, 10:50 AM   #16
Air Force:
Are you trying to become an officer, or go enlisted?
Old 12-21-2009, 11:14 AM   #17
BlancoTaco08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlancoTaco08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlancoTaco08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlancoTaco08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlancoTaco08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlancoTaco08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlancoTaco08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlancoTaco08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlancoTaco08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlancoTaco08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlancoTaco08 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BlancoTaco08's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOERanger View Post
I was Army and every single one of my friends wished they would've gone into the Air Force because of the added benefits and working environment.
Go into a job that will carry over into the civilian world. Go into this expecting to get out after your contract is up. If you want to stay in afterwards, well, all the better. Pick a job you'll be interested in and you can do for years and years.
Good Luck!
Quote:
My recommendation is to have an idea what career path you want to go instead of going open general; unless you want to be a cook in the dinning hall or handing out towels in the fitness center. Check out www.airforce.com and look at enlisted oprortunities to get an idea of what job you want.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zac808 View Post
Just do eet. Figure out what you enjoy doing: Administrative work, computer's, turning wrenches, hospital stuff, police, flying on aircraft. The oppurtunities are endless. Of course depending on your ASVAB score.
All very good advice...
Old 12-21-2009, 11:16 AM   #18

Taco969's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Are you trying to become an officer, or go enlisted?
Enlisted.
Old 12-21-2009, 11:21 AM   #19
Air Force:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco969 View Post
Enlisted.
Then disregard the AFOQT test that GAS told you to practice. Thae AFOQT test is for officer candidates. Here is a link to practice ASVAB tests free:

https://secure.military.com/Recruiti...ractice%20test
Old 12-21-2009, 11:40 AM   #20

Taco969's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks a bunch everyone!