1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Military info

Discussion in 'Military' started by Ryan16, Jan 8, 2010.

1. Jan 8, 2010 at 7:09 PM
    Ryan16

Ryan16 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    17 TRD off-road
    Hey i am going to take the college rotc classes and i have been thinking of joining while i was still in college i have talked to the rotc people and they said that i would be a second lieutenant would it be worth it to join or better for me to get my college degree any info would be great thanks

2. Jan 8, 2010 at 7:13 PM
    bakerla

bakerla Man, Myth, Legend

Member:
    First Name:
    Lyndall
    Pearland, TX
    Vehicle:
    '10 4wd OR
    CBI Moab front and CBI Trailrider rear, Budbuilt skids, Shrockworks sliders, OME Dakars w/ OME Nitros, OME 886x w/ OME Nitros, Light Racing UCAs, stainless steel brakelines F/R, Cobra 75 w/ Firestik antenna, 255/85/16 Cooper ST Maxx on 1st gen alloys, Weathertech liners, Engo 9000S winch, stickars and other shit.
    Join the reserves. Come back from basic training and AIT and go to college on the Army's dime. Finish your degree, and if you enjoy the military, go active duty. If not, ride out your enlistment (most likely 6 years) and get out. Just don't be surprised if you get deployed. It's worth it, much more than the college benefits. Skills and life training.

3. Jan 9, 2010 at 8:20 AM
    j83soldier

j83soldier Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    joshua
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    05 tacoma
    anti lock brake disable mod, fogtime anytime mod, Leer Topper, all pro plate bumper, toytec 3 inch lift, bfg AT, rims, piaa 5100's, some double din head unit (cant remember), warn 8000 winch, DO sliders, hacked frame to fit full size spare, thule and yakima roof racks
    It depends what you are comfortable doing in life. If your curiours about the army pm me. I am currently deployed to Afghanistan and have been in 7 years, I can answer most questions on the combat arms side of the house

4. Jan 9, 2010 at 8:58 AM
    HBMurphy

HBMurphy Ban Pending

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    So California Coast
    Vehicle:
    09 Off Road Delete Model
    None
    I was too much of a pussy to join when I was thinking of it.

Once I completed college I worked mostly with x-Military guys and managed and hired military guys. I have the utmost respect for all of you that served and feel blessed to have learned great discipline from those that were diciplined by serving. I don't think you can go wrong unless you go wrong. And then that can be a repeating theme.

I wish you good luck in what ever you do! :)

5. Jan 9, 2010 at 1:42 PM
    solus

solus HOME!!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Bremerton, WA
    Vehicle:
    RR 4wd SR5
    how many years of college do you have left? If you have about 2-3 or less look into BDCP

http://usmilitary.about.com/od/officerjo2/a/bdcp.htm

This is what I did, you get paid as an enlisted during college (2 year non-technical, 3 years technical) then upon completion of college you go to ocs and get commissioned. Screw that ROTC bullshit... While I was in College I made $30,000 my first year, $38000 my last year just from the Navy. I have a part time job that made another $15000 a year. I did not EVER where a uniform (while in school) I met with the recruiter twice a month, had full medical/dental, Exchange priviledges, etc

ROTC sucks...unless you got the scholarship. I paid for my last 2 years of college out of pocket (with exception of about $10,000 in grants)

In this economy, Military is a good option... oh these years in college count too, unlike the academy and ROTC. So when you're commissioned you already have 2-3 years on the books

An O-1 (Ensign, 2nd Lt) makes about $35000 in base pay, +atleast $12000 Housing, +$4000 Food, plus other incentive pay

6. Jan 10, 2010 at 12:39 PM
    Ryan16

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    17 TRD off-road
    i have about 3-4 years left in college and i want the rotc scholarship but idk if i would be able to get it because i have a VA scholarship ( my dad is a combat disable Vietnam vet) also how hard is it on a family

7. Jan 10, 2010 at 12:44 PM
    solus

solus HOME!!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Bremerton, WA
    Vehicle:
    RR 4wd SR5
    perfect! BDCP is the way to go, you get paid while in college, benefits, etc and no uniforms while in college or anything...

Call a Navy Recruiter and speak to the Officer Recruiter... not the enlisted recruiter because they will try to convince you to enlist and will not help at all

8. Jan 10, 2010 at 1:44 PM
    HBMurphy

HBMurphy Ban Pending

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    So California Coast
    Vehicle:
    09 Off Road Delete Model
    None
    Thank your dad for his service.

10 years ago I had a client that was from Vietnam that found out that my boss was a Vietnam Vet and she wrote a long letter to him thanking him for helping her people in an attempt to be able to allow them to live a free life. She went on about how many perfect strangers were willing to put life and limb on the line in an attempt to help her people. I should have asked for a copy of it.

My boss later told me that he had been spit on, yelled at, called a baby-killer, etc. but that was the first time anyone had thanked him for his service and efforts.

Just another reminder of how blessed we are and how we tend to take it all for granted. When was the last time anyone on this board had to lie, cheat and steal to get food or toilet paper for our loved ones (I'm not saying that people here don't do those sort of things - we just don't have to).

9. Jan 11, 2010 at 5:21 PM
    Ryan16

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    17 TRD off-road
    i also was wondering how is military life for family's

10. Jan 11, 2010 at 9:57 PM
    HBMurphy

HBMurphy Ban Pending

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    So California Coast
    Vehicle:
    09 Off Road Delete Model
    None
    While you are getting answers to that question also ask how different careers affect families. Then ask "How do I want to affect my family?"

11. Jan 12, 2010 at 7:08 PM
    Ryan16

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    17 TRD off-road
    true i never thought of seeing it like that and i still need to find out what i want to do when i get in

12. Jan 14, 2010 at 3:38 AM
    usmcgoose

usmcgoose One shot is all I need

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma 4X4
    I will tell you a college degree does help out on the enlisted side of the house with promotions. The fine print on the officer contract is they have you for the rest of your life. You can be 60 and retired, but if they need a person with your capabilities, you just got your ticket back in.

As far as families go, it truly depends on the job you take, the amount of times you get deployed. But most families work out a social network when deployments occur to stay informed, communicate with loved ones and so on.

13. Jan 14, 2010 at 7:51 AM
    OlyTacoma173

OlyTacoma173 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Olympia, WA
    Vehicle:
    2004 Xtra Cab TRD 4x4
    LineX Spray-in bedliner, deckplate mod, K&N High-flow filter, Camburg Coilovers and UCAs, Alcan leaf-pack, Elite plate bumper
    While USMCGoose is correct and there does exist a possibility of recall after you have left the service, I wouldn't let it influence your decision on whether or not you should pursue a career as a military officer. In my five years of service I have met zero officers who have been recalled to active duty against their will. However, I can't count the number of enlisted soldiers I have seen stop-lossed past their enlistments due to the needs of the Army. Many of the officers and enlisted I know have left the service only to voluntarily return after one or two years after realizing how much they miss it. Bottom line is that being in the service is a very rewarding experience which will give you the opportunity to see and do things you might not have otherwise gotten to do but it certainly is not for everyone. Joining ROTC will in no way preclude you from getting your degree. Generally speaking, commissioned officers are required to posess a bachelor degree to be commissioned, although some exceptions do apply (degree completion program allows you to commission without one, but you still have to get it before you advance past O3) You will graduate just as you would otherwise in whatever major you choose, but you'll also get a minor in military science. After graduation you will be commissioned as an O1 (2nd LT or Ensign) and serve what is typically a four year committment, either on active duty or in the Reserves. Feel free to PM me with any questions.

14. Jan 15, 2010 at 6:42 AM
    usmcgoose

usmcgoose One shot is all I need

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma 4X4
    I remember stop-loss. ahh Memories

15. Feb 21, 2010 at 10:44 AM
    Ryan16

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    17 TRD off-road
    i want to say thanks all of you that gave me the info and just to let you know i am joining up this week

Products Discussed in

To Top