Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Military

Notices

aircraft maintainers

Old 01-30-2010, 04:51 PM   #41
Gadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Gadget@URD's Tacoma Gallery
Found it:

RAF Harrier GR.7, serial ZD464. It crashed on 02 August 2002 at Lowestoft Seafront Air Festival, UK. The cause was pilot error as detailed in the accident investigation report. "The inquiry concluded that the accident was caused by the failure to select the nozzle control lever to the "Hover Stop" following an inadvertent nozzle lever movement."
Old 01-30-2010, 06:41 PM   #42
©1975
aaronatl is a splendid one to beholdaaronatl is a splendid one to beholdaaronatl is a splendid one to beholdaaronatl is a splendid one to beholdaaronatl is a splendid one to beholdaaronatl is a splendid one to beholdaaronatl is a splendid one to behold

Name: Cap'n Crunch
aaronatl's Tacoma Gallery
pilot error, hmmm... back to human factors class to get more training
Old 01-30-2010, 06:48 PM   #43
Gadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Gadget@URD's Tacoma Gallery
I found one reference that his sleeve got caught on the nozzle control lever while moving the throttle to mil power to began his departure. The nozzles rotated taking away the lift without sufficient forward speed for wing lift.

G
Old 01-30-2010, 07:00 PM   #45
©1975
aaronatl is a splendid one to beholdaaronatl is a splendid one to beholdaaronatl is a splendid one to beholdaaronatl is a splendid one to beholdaaronatl is a splendid one to beholdaaronatl is a splendid one to beholdaaronatl is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunes View Post
Okay....I'll go with a simple "You are wrong."
I was just guessing
but from your negative reply's to my post
wait.... nope still don't care
Old 01-31-2010, 05:18 AM   #46
abides.
Brunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: LT- CG MH-65C/D Driver- CGAS NOLA
Name: Mark
Brunes's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Brunes
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronatl View Post
I was just guessing
but from your negative reply's to my post
wait.... nope still don't care
Guessing pretty much = talking out of your ass. (Evidence: Mishap had nothing to do with fuel consumption.)
I think I was pretty fair with my first post. Second one-You asked for that-I just deliver.

I missed where your experiences with aviation are posted btw...
Old 01-31-2010, 05:29 AM   #47
TRIFECTA!!!
swise is a splendid one to beholdswise is a splendid one to beholdswise is a splendid one to beholdswise is a splendid one to beholdswise is a splendid one to beholdswise is a splendid one to beholdswise is a splendid one to behold

swise's Tacoma Gallery
Old 01-31-2010, 05:33 AM   #48
abides.
Brunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Brunes's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by swise View Post
LOL. To be honest I thought there was going to be a typical maintainer versus pilot reason he thought that Harrier ran outta gas- You know the old "Dumb ass pilots don't know how bad they break these planes when they use them and then they can't even keep enuf gas in them to fly" and "Lazy maintainers can't fix shit right the first time" type stuff....but it appears I was wrong.
Just a dumbass making bad guesses. ::shrug::
Old 01-31-2010, 05:35 AM   #49
TRIFECTA!!!
swise is a splendid one to beholdswise is a splendid one to beholdswise is a splendid one to beholdswise is a splendid one to beholdswise is a splendid one to beholdswise is a splendid one to beholdswise is a splendid one to behold

swise's Tacoma Gallery
It sounded like one of you is a pilot.
Old 01-31-2010, 05:46 AM   #51
TRIFECTA!!!

swise's Tacoma Gallery
We have a mutual respect for our flight crews. They take a plane up for a check flight after we have torn it apart and put it back together during a heavy check, putting all their trust in us that it will operate correctly. At times we will joke with them about "do you need any more crayons to finish your flight log," but both sides know how important the other is.
Old 01-31-2010, 08:06 AM   #53
Mayor of TW
Delmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Vet
Name: Mike
Delmarva's Tacoma Gallery
I always tell my maintainers that we're always waiting on maintenance...

They have a harder job that I do... they come in early to prep the aircraft... I take it up, fly it all day and then give it back to them at the end of the day.. then they have to postflight it...

rinse, repeat the next day...

of course, when I'm up flying all day, they're screwing around...
Old 01-31-2010, 01:21 PM   #54
©1975

I have my green cards

thanks for being a dick and the neg. rep again
Old 01-31-2010, 03:14 PM   #55
60driver has a brilliant future60driver has a brilliant future60driver has a brilliant future60driver has a brilliant future60driver has a brilliant future60driver has a brilliant future60driver has a brilliant future60driver has a brilliant future60driver has a brilliant future60driver has a brilliant future60driver has a brilliant future

Army:
Name: Sean
60driver's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by monstertodd View Post
That's what I do. Except I fly the Scan Eagle UAV.
A scan eagle almost flew into me couple months back. Flew 100 ft below me and even the passengers saw it. By the time i saw it, it was too late to evade. He was at helo altitude for some reason (climbing through perhaps) Those things are pretty cool though.
Old 01-31-2010, 03:54 PM   #56
Old Guy Member
satchsd is just really nicesatchsd is just really nicesatchsd is just really nicesatchsd is just really nice

Air Force: mech
satchsd's Tacoma Gallery
Pilots and thier attitudes. Been fixing thier mishaps for 32 years, latest pilot put gear handle up to early destroying lower ventrals. He was showing off for well endowed girlfriend. before that one turned off antiskid blew tire on landing. this all in just the last 9 months, dont have enough space to tell all that i've seen.
Old 01-31-2010, 08:15 PM   #57
monstertodd is on a distinguished road
Navy: AM1 (AW) Petty Officer First Class
Name: Todd
monstertodd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 60driver View Post
A scan eagle almost flew into me couple months back. Flew 100 ft below me and even the passengers saw it. By the time i saw it, it was too late to evade. He was at helo altitude for some reason (climbing through perhaps) Those things are pretty cool though.
Yikes! That's kinda scary. Yeah, I've heard of that happening on several occasions actually. This past year, an HH-60G crew in Bastion flew right into a Scan Eagle that was on final aproach. HH-60G 1/Scan Eagle 0. The helo had some damage to the blades, but the Scan Eagle was destroyed. I'm glad I was not the operator, even if the helo crew was at fault. They were not where tower instructed them to be.

Where I was operating last year, our altitude blocks were typically 5 to 8k. Helo's were always below us.
Old 02-01-2010, 03:51 AM   #58
abides.

Brunes's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronatl View Post

I have my green cards

thanks for being a dick and the neg. rep again
I gave you a reasonable comment and you wanna throw back a useless/dick comment and then blame me for being a dick- I think not (I'm not sure unspeculate is a word either)

Enjoy the "Neg" rep-You earned it asshat.

And just so the point isn't lost- You are still wrong with your shitty guess.
Old 02-01-2010, 03:57 AM   #59
Mayor of TW
Delmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Vet
Name: Mike
Delmarva's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Yikes! That's kinda scary. Yeah, I've heard of that happening on several occasions actually. This past year, an HH-60G crew in Bastion flew right into a Scan Eagle that was on final aproach. HH-60G 1/Scan Eagle 0. The helo had some damage to the blades, but the Scan Eagle was destroyed. I'm glad I was not the operator, even if the helo crew was at fault. They were not where tower instructed them to be.

Where I was operating last year, our altitude blocks were typically 5 to 8k. Helo's were always below us.
hmm... Are you NSWG?
Old 02-01-2010, 04:56 AM   #60
60driver has a brilliant future60driver has a brilliant future60driver has a brilliant future60driver has a brilliant future60driver has a brilliant future60driver has a brilliant future60driver has a brilliant future60driver has a brilliant future60driver has a brilliant future60driver has a brilliant future60driver has a brilliant future

Army:
Name: Sean
60driver's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

Strangly enough thats good to hear. I was thinking a scan eagle would reek havoc on us. Im sure it depends on how they collide, airspeed etc. The hardest thing is that all those uavs are very difficult to see until its too late and where we were our tower operators werent familiar with having them in their airspace. Eventually they started announcing that the traffic was a uav and it was funny to hear all the helos say they were leaving/staying on the ground/waiting for the uav to clear.