Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Military

Notices

aircraft maintainers

Old 02-01-2010, 05:29 AM   #61
SMSgt / 2W091
El Diablo is one of the sharper tools in the shedEl Diablo is one of the sharper tools in the shedEl Diablo is one of the sharper tools in the shedEl Diablo is one of the sharper tools in the shedEl Diablo is one of the sharper tools in the shedEl Diablo is one of the sharper tools in the shedEl Diablo is one of the sharper tools in the shedEl Diablo is one of the sharper tools in the shedEl Diablo is one of the sharper tools in the shedEl Diablo is one of the sharper tools in the shedEl Diablo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: IYAAYAS
Name: Beelzebub
El Diablo's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by phantom View Post

before being a phantom phixer,was a delta dart
doubt if anyone knows this bird?
F-106 worlds fastest manned all weather interceptor in the late 50's
computer controlled with vacuum tubes and transistors, hard drives were not invented so had drum memory, a 4x4 inch pc held one JK flipflop for computer folks
me getting in for a preflight
I almost thought that was a QF-106 getting ready for it's final mission. Then I noticed the Buzz Number, yellow AGE equipment and ground crew wearing fatigues!
Very nice picture of one of the most graceful aircraft ever.

Most of these aircraft are useless unless it is carrying some of these...

http://www.raytheon.com/broadcasts/r...im9x_video.wmv

IYAAYAS!!!
Attached Thumbnails
aircraft maintainers-ord_aim-120c_amraam_launch_from_f-22_lg.jpg   aircraft maintainers-sidewinder-dfst9802878.jpg   aircraft maintainers-9x.jpg  
Old 02-01-2010, 06:39 AM   #62
Mayor of TW
Delmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Vet
Name: Mike
Delmarva's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 60driver View Post
Strangly enough thats good to hear. I was thinking a scan eagle would reek havoc on us. Im sure it depends on how they collide, airspeed etc. The hardest thing is that all those uavs are very difficult to see until its too late and where we were our tower operators werent familiar with having them in their airspace. Eventually they started announcing that the traffic was a uav and it was funny to hear all the helos say they were leaving/staying on the ground/waiting for the uav to clear.
Get something with a bit more energy, and you may have some more problems.
Old 02-01-2010, 06:49 AM   #63
Afwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: B-52 Crew Chief/ Ground Radio MX/ LC-
Name: Matt
Afwrestler1986's Tacoma Gallery
Was a B-52H Crew Chief from 05-08 at Barkatraz. Funny how these new fangled aircraft get all the hype when the Buff is still alive and kick'n.
Carpet bombing FTW!

Now I am in the world of radio MX. Man I miss the flight line sometimes. Sometimes.
Old 02-01-2010, 11:47 AM   #64
monstertodd is on a distinguished road
Navy: AM1 (AW) Petty Officer First Class
Name: Todd
monstertodd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 60driver View Post
Strangly enough thats good to hear. I was thinking a scan eagle would reek havoc on us. Im sure it depends on how they collide, airspeed etc. The hardest thing is that all those uavs are very difficult to see until its too late and where we were our tower operators werent familiar with having them in their airspace. Eventually they started announcing that the traffic was a uav and it was funny to hear all the helos say they were leaving/staying on the ground/waiting for the uav to clear.
Yea I think that would depend on how and where it hit a helo as to how much damage it would cause. Might cause some pretty good damage if it hit the tail rotor. We were lucky out there as our controllers were pretty experienced working with UAV's. It also helps that there were other UAV's operating out there. They gave us a lot of room! Bastion is the UK's 5th largest airport, so the airspace was veeeeeeery busy.
Old 02-05-2010, 08:41 AM   #65
mtlheadhntr is on a distinguished road
Air Force: SSgt
Name: Richie
Location: Live in South GA / From Milwaukee, WI (WI boy at heart)
mtlheadhntr's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by monstertodd View Post
Yikes! That's kinda scary. Yeah, I've heard of that happening on several occasions actually. This past year, an HH-60G crew in Bastion flew right into a Scan Eagle that was on final aproach. HH-60G 1/Scan Eagle 0. The helo had some damage to the blades, but the Scan Eagle was destroyed. I'm glad I was not the operator, even if the helo crew was at fault. They were not where tower instructed them to be.

Where I was operating last year, our altitude blocks were typically 5 to 8k. Helo's were always below us.
SMALL WORLD!! I am at Bastion right now and I was the guy who lead the maintenace team!. FYI, the helo crew was not at fault. I looked into the investigation since I am Quality Assurance for the HH-60s. The HH-60 had clearance for takeoff VFR, the Scan Eagle should not have been there. There is more to that story that we cannot write on a public forum.
Old 02-05-2010, 06:17 PM   #66
SOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Marines: Helicopter Pilot - RVN
SOSHeloPilot's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by phantom View Post

before being a phantom phixer,was a delta dart
doubt if anyone knows this bird?
F-106 worlds fastest manned all weather interceptor in the late 50's
computer controlled with vacuum tubes and transistors, hard drives were not invented so had drum memory, a 4x4 inch pc held one JK flipflop for computer folks
me getting in for a preflight

My favorite fixed wing of that era was the F-4. I was doing rotary wing in RVN, while some of my older buddies were in fixed wing Phantoms.

Years later (maybe early 1980s) I was visiting McDonnell at the St. Louis plant and saw one on the floor there (with a sign on it).
It might have been the 5,500th in the F-4 series, if I remember correctly.

Old 02-05-2010, 07:25 PM   #67
RogueLeader has a brilliant futureRogueLeader has a brilliant futureRogueLeader has a brilliant futureRogueLeader has a brilliant futureRogueLeader has a brilliant futureRogueLeader has a brilliant futureRogueLeader has a brilliant futureRogueLeader has a brilliant futureRogueLeader has a brilliant futureRogueLeader has a brilliant futureRogueLeader has a brilliant future

Air Force: Aircraft Armament Tech
Name: Rod
RogueLeader's Tacoma Gallery
I was at George AFB before it was closed. We had F-4s and OV-10s. I worked Silver and Blue sections as a weapons mechanic. At one time, George had an F-4D that was in Red Section and had 6 red stars on the left intake. I was also at K.I. Sawyer, AFB in northern Michigan and we had a squadron of F-106s there serving alert duty as air interceptors.
Old 02-05-2010, 10:14 PM   #68
highflyinmechanic is a name known to allhighflyinmechanic is a name known to allhighflyinmechanic is a name known to allhighflyinmechanic is a name known to allhighflyinmechanic is a name known to allhighflyinmechanic is a name known to all

Name: Justin
highflyinmechanic's Tacoma Gallery
Not in the military but I do heavy maintenance, sheetmetal work, engine work on GVs (C-37's for the military) and G550s here in Savannah GA for Gulfstream.
Attached Thumbnails
aircraft maintainers-g550_01.jpg  
Old 02-06-2010, 04:23 PM   #69
TunnelDV will become famous soon enoughTunnelDV will become famous soon enough
Army: 4/11 ACR
Name: Derek
TunnelDV's Tacoma Gallery
AH-64 Apache Crewchief, 1991-1997.

DV
Attached Thumbnails
aircraft maintainers-apachebig.jpg  
Old 02-07-2010, 11:50 PM   #70
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtlheadhntr View Post
SMALL WORLD!! I am at Bastion right now and I was the guy who lead the maintenace team!. FYI, the helo crew was not at fault. I looked into the investigation since I am Quality Assurance for the HH-60s. The HH-60 had clearance for takeoff VFR, the Scan Eagle should not have been there. There is more to that story that we cannot write on a public forum.
Very small world indeed! It seems I don't know the whole story. I stand corrected. Definitely wasn't trying to bash anyone, only repeating the story as it was told to me. As I understood it the SE also had clearance to land.
Old 02-07-2010, 11:51 PM   #71
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueLeader View Post
I was at George AFB before it was closed. We had F-4s and OV-10s. I worked Black and Blue sections as a weapons mechanic. At one time, George had an F-4D that was in Red Section and had 6 red stars on the left intake. I was also at Wurtsmith AFB in northern Michigan and we had a squadron of F-106s there serving alert duty as air interceptors.
Ha! I was born on George! My dad was in charge of a maintenance squadron there for a little while.
Old 02-08-2010, 01:55 AM   #72
REALLY!!
mrp192 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmrp192 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmrp192 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmrp192 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmrp192 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmrp192 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmrp192 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmrp192 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmrp192 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmrp192 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmrp192 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force: F-22 Crew Chief
Name: Brent
mrp192's Tacoma Gallery
AF F-22 Crew Chief...

Old 02-10-2010, 10:29 PM   #73
cabarbhab is one of the sharper tools in the shedcabarbhab is one of the sharper tools in the shedcabarbhab is one of the sharper tools in the shedcabarbhab is one of the sharper tools in the shedcabarbhab is one of the sharper tools in the shedcabarbhab is one of the sharper tools in the shedcabarbhab is one of the sharper tools in the shedcabarbhab is one of the sharper tools in the shedcabarbhab is one of the sharper tools in the shedcabarbhab is one of the sharper tools in the shedcabarbhab is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force:
Name: Andy
cabarbhab's Tacoma Gallery
it is a real small world. i am a hh-60g maintainer at bastion now who came and replaced the QAs guys group.
Old 02-11-2010, 01:23 PM   #74
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabarbhab View Post
it is a real small world. i am a hh-60g maintainer at bastion now who came and replaced the QAs guys group.
Nice. I'm a former H-60 maintainer/QA rep myself so I feel your pain.
Old 02-22-2010, 01:44 AM   #75
Chewbacca ate my cereal.
Wing is a splendid one to beholdWing is a splendid one to beholdWing is a splendid one to beholdWing is a splendid one to beholdWing is a splendid one to beholdWing is a splendid one to beholdWing is a splendid one to beholdWing is a splendid one to behold

Air Force: SSGT 2A373
Name: Grant
Wing's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunes View Post
Guilty as charged....

If I could work on them after I break them I would...but they don't let me.
Bullshit! Plain bullshit! Go debrief your sortie and get your butt on the flightline. I know plenty of pilots who have spun a speed handle after OG'ing a jet. Or at least buy the poor bastards who will be wrenching for the next 12 hours b/c of your eff up some beer.
Old 02-22-2010, 03:37 AM   #76
abides.
Brunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: LT- CG MH-65C/D Driver- CGAS NOLA
Name: Mark
Brunes's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Brunes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wing View Post
Bullshit! Plain bullshit! Go debrief your sortie and get your butt on the flightline. I know plenty of pilots who have spun a speed handle after OG'ing a jet. Or at least buy the poor bastards who will be wrenching for the next 12 hours b/c of your eff up some beer.
So far- Haven't eff'd up anything by pilot action (No overtorques/temps/Gs) or hard landings.

And where I am right now is a training command with ALL contract maintainence- so they REALLY won't let us do ANYTHING but preflights and minor fluid service when away from homeplate.
Next unit- Hopefully I can get a little involved...and you are right- The beer delivery helps!!!
Old 02-22-2010, 04:12 AM   #77
Mrgoody86 is an unknown quantity at this point
Air Force: 99th Aircraft Maintainence SQ
Name: Alex
Mrgoody86's Tacoma Gallery
U-2's myself saving the world from 70,000+ feet. At a base right now in Southwest Asia. Im sure some of you know where. Crew Chief for about 5 years. Cool bird because, when you find out exactly what it can do from that height its just amazing.
Old 02-22-2010, 01:37 PM   #78
oldsman71442 is just really niceoldsman71442 is just really niceoldsman71442 is just really niceoldsman71442 is just really niceoldsman71442 is just really nice
Coast Guard: AMT
Name: Jeff
oldsman71442's Tacoma Gallery
Coast Guard C-130H Out in Barbers Point Hawaii...
Old 03-09-2010, 03:26 AM   #79
Smackalicious!
Bz3r0 has a brilliant futureBz3r0 has a brilliant futureBz3r0 has a brilliant futureBz3r0 has a brilliant futureBz3r0 has a brilliant futureBz3r0 has a brilliant futureBz3r0 has a brilliant futureBz3r0 has a brilliant futureBz3r0 has a brilliant futureBz3r0 has a brilliant futureBz3r0 has a brilliant future

Air Force: 169th FW
Name: Bryan
Bz3r0's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Bz3r0 Send a message via Yahoo to Bz3r0
F-16 Avionics here... Joined back in Jan of 06. Re-enlistment comin up soon. Stationed at McEntire JNGB Eastover, SC.
Attached Thumbnails
aircraft maintainers-img_0154.1.jpg  
Old 03-11-2010, 12:58 PM   #80
infidel is on a distinguished road
Air Force: JSOC
infidel's Tacoma Gallery
Where to start C-130 slicks and Talons, GIII, GIV, Grand Caravan, PC6, Otter, CN235 (CASA) King Air. Had a great time all belonging to the USAF.