Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Military

Notices

Congressional Medal of Honor

Old 03-10-2010, 12:47 PM   #41
nelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Ex-Cone
nelson18matt's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc.SS View Post
Congrats to his GM, either award is a tremendous accomplishment.
absoulutly. no doubt about that

secretsquirl, great story. i love that stuff
Old 03-10-2010, 04:10 PM   #42
CAPS CAPS CAPS!
asphaltpilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedasphaltpilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedasphaltpilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedasphaltpilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedasphaltpilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedasphaltpilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedasphaltpilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedasphaltpilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedasphaltpilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedasphaltpilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedasphaltpilot is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: Sergeant, B Co, 1st BN, 6th MAR ('93 - '97)
Name: Jason
asphaltpilot's Tacoma Gallery
I just saw the last segment of ABC World News about these female pilots. I wish the segment was longer. They mentioned the women had to pay their own way home after the war. It's terrible that it's taken this long for their sacrifices and duty to be recognized.
Old 03-11-2010, 08:24 AM   #43
TheOtherGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheOtherGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheOtherGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheOtherGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheOtherGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheOtherGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheOtherGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheOtherGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheOtherGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheOtherGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheOtherGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army: 63B
TheOtherGuy's Tacoma Gallery
I haven't read the entire thread but I'm sure y'all have figured out that its the congressional gold medal not the MoH. Regardless it is a high honor and you should be proud of your grandmother for leading the way for female pilots.
Old 03-11-2010, 08:33 AM   #44
Toyota Truck is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Truck is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Truck is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Truck is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Truck is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Truck is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Truck is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Truck is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Truck is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Truck is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Truck is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Toyota Truck's Tacoma Gallery
Wow. You got one hell of a grandmother!!!!
Old 03-11-2010, 08:40 AM   #45
Country is one of the sharper tools in the shedCountry is one of the sharper tools in the shedCountry is one of the sharper tools in the shedCountry is one of the sharper tools in the shedCountry is one of the sharper tools in the shedCountry is one of the sharper tools in the shedCountry is one of the sharper tools in the shedCountry is one of the sharper tools in the shedCountry is one of the sharper tools in the shedCountry is one of the sharper tools in the shedCountry is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: Lance Criminal, STA Plt.
Name: Country
Country's Tacoma Gallery
Ya I dont think she is getting the MOH that kinda of thing isnt just handed out, also the last and ONLY women to recieve this award was in 1865 her name was Dr. Mary E. Walker, so in other words the MOH under most circumstances is given for combat valor and combat action. So ya just thought I would throw that out there.
Old 03-11-2010, 09:11 AM   #46
rsincavage85 is a glorious beacon of lightrsincavage85 is a glorious beacon of lightrsincavage85 is a glorious beacon of lightrsincavage85 is a glorious beacon of lightrsincavage85 is a glorious beacon of lightrsincavage85 is a glorious beacon of light

Army: Radar Platoon SGT
Name: Rick
rsincavage85's Tacoma Gallery
Congrats to your Grandmother, I have visited the MOH web page for a college paper I wrote for WWII history and found some amazing things out. It takes a tremendous mount of courage. Not to toot my own whistle, but I have been in Iraq. I admit it was an easy deployment, actually. We recieved indirect fire from a 107mm chinese rocket and was awarded the combat action badge. this is something i refuse to wear because I feel the way it was earned cheapens the awrd for those who actually got engadge by enemy. I actually feel embarased about telling the story.
Old 03-11-2010, 10:41 AM   #47
Finally made it - U.S. Army Retired
cakmakli is one of the sharper tools in the shedcakmakli is one of the sharper tools in the shedcakmakli is one of the sharper tools in the shedcakmakli is one of the sharper tools in the shedcakmakli is one of the sharper tools in the shedcakmakli is one of the sharper tools in the shedcakmakli is one of the sharper tools in the shedcakmakli is one of the sharper tools in the shedcakmakli is one of the sharper tools in the shedcakmakli is one of the sharper tools in the shedcakmakli is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Military Police
cakmakli's Tacoma Gallery
Might as well give a MOH to his Grandmother. They gave one to MacArthur for a lot less then what she did. He got one for just being MacArthur.

MacARTHUR, DOUGLAS

Rank and organization: General, U.S. Army, commanding U.S. Army Forces in the Far East. Place and date: Bataan Peninsula, Philippine Islands. Entered service at: Ashland, Wis. Birth: Little Rock, Ark. G.O. No.: 16, 1 April 1942.

Citation:

For conspicuous leadership in preparing the Philippine Islands to resist conquest, for gallantry and intrepidity above and beyond the call of duty in action against invading Japanese forces, and for the heroic conduct of defensive and offensive operations on the Bataan Peninsula. He mobilized, trained, and led an army which has received world acclaim for its gallant defense against a tremendous superiority of enemy forces in men and arms. His utter disregard of personal danger under heavy fire and aerial bombardment, his calm judgment in each crisis, inspired his troops, galvanized the spirit of resistance of the Filipino people, and confirmed the faith of the American people in their Armed Forces.
Old 03-12-2010, 04:15 AM   #48
rme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Helicopter pilot still serving
rme's Tacoma Gallery
You forgot to mention how he sneaked out of the phillipines late at night and escaped to the south while his men made the Bataan death march.....

(Nine months and I'm retired too...)
Old 03-12-2010, 04:49 AM   #49
You think I was rollin out here naked?
ToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: MA
ToucanV13's Tacoma Gallery
Awesome! We got a MOH ceremony today here
Old 03-12-2010, 08:12 AM   #50
cakmakli is one of the sharper tools in the shedcakmakli is one of the sharper tools in the shedcakmakli is one of the sharper tools in the shedcakmakli is one of the sharper tools in the shedcakmakli is one of the sharper tools in the shedcakmakli is one of the sharper tools in the shedcakmakli is one of the sharper tools in the shedcakmakli is one of the sharper tools in the shedcakmakli is one of the sharper tools in the shedcakmakli is one of the sharper tools in the shedcakmakli is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by rme View Post
You forgot to mention how he sneaked out of the phillipines late at night and escaped to the south while his men made the Bataan death march.....

(Nine months and I'm retired too...)
And he opposed the awarding of the medal to General Jonathan Wainwright who he left behind to finish the fight and who was to spend more then three years of deprivation, abuse and torture at the hands of the Japanese as a POW.

General MacArthur in regards to the proposed MOH for General Wrainwright:

"The citation proposed does not represent the truth....As a relative matter award of the Medal of Honor to General Wainwright would be a grave injustice to a number of general officers of practically equally responsible positions who not only distinguished themselves by fully as great personal gallantry thereby earning the DSC but exhibited powers of leadership and inspiration to a degree greatly superior to that of General Wainwright thereby contributing much more to the stability of the command and to the successful conduct of the campaign. It would be a grave mistake which later on might well lead to embarrassing repercussions to make this award."

Yet he had no problem accepting his.
Old 03-12-2010, 08:17 AM   #51
lower management
trtripoli is on a distinguished road

trtripoli's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to trtripoli
Quote:
Originally Posted by bishtacova View Post
Not to be a party pooper but are you sure it's the CMH? Most folks awarded the CMH are done postumously, as in KIA.

You were actually right. My grandmother was a WASP (women airforce service pilot), she was not actually in the military. The Congressoinal Medal of Honor is the only millitary service I believe. She received the Congressional Gold Medal, which is the civilian equivlant/the highest award that a civilian can recieve. Still exciting nonetheless, heres a story on her.

http://www.firstcoastnews.com/news/n...storyid=153041
Old 03-12-2010, 08:41 AM   #52
^^^^ 3%er ^^^^
Packman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
Packman73's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by trtripoli View Post
I just found out last night that my Grandmother will be receiving the congressional medal of honor next month. She was in the one of the first group of women during World War II to earn their wings, class 44-W-2. She tested airplanes after they came out of maintenance and flew them before the cadets could fly them. Never thought I'd get meet anyone who has earned the award, let alone be a blood relative to one. Pretty exciting.
Wow! Congrats to her!
Old 03-12-2010, 09:38 AM   #53

Sorry trtripoli. I wasn't trying to hijack your thread. That is really a cool grandma you got there. Has she told you any first hand stories from her flying days that you could post here?
Old 03-12-2010, 09:41 AM   #54
lower management
trtripoli is on a distinguished road

trtripoli's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to trtripoli
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakmakli View Post
Sorry trtripoli. I wasn't trying to hijack your thread. That is really a cool grandma you got there. Has she told you any first hand stories from her flying days that you could post here?
unfortunately no. My grandfather was a pilot for the miliatary, and both him or my grandmother just say no comment when you ask them about any experiences they have had. They'll only talk about what their duties were, but not anything too specific.

And I wouldn't worry too much about it, it's a tacomaworld tradition to hijack
Old 03-12-2010, 10:01 AM   #55
scott504 will become famous soon enough
scott504's Tacoma Gallery
Here is an article with pics.

http://www.fayobserver.com/Articles/2010/03/11/982553
Old 03-27-2010, 07:43 AM   #56
The Gunny
TexasToyo is on a distinguished road

Marines: The Gunny
Name: Alonso
TexasToyo's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by trtripoli View Post
I just found out last night that my Grandmother will be receiving the congressional medal of honor next month. She was in the one of the first group of women during World War II to earn their wings, class 44-W-2. She tested airplanes after they came out of maintenance and flew them before the cadets could fly them. Never thought I'd get meet anyone who has earned the award, let alone be a blood relative to one. Pretty exciting.
WOW, congrats!