LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Military

Notices

Just watched a Horrible Military movie...opinions???

Old 02-15-2010, 02:16 PM   #61
NAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed
NAAC3TACO's Tacoma Gallery
At least that explains the flat.
Old 02-15-2010, 02:25 PM   #63
jnolan88 is a name known to alljnolan88 is a name known to alljnolan88 is a name known to alljnolan88 is a name known to alljnolan88 is a name known to alljnolan88 is a name known to all

jnolan88's Tacoma Gallery
i would watch the movie just for the sniper scene. it was pretty good.
Old 02-15-2010, 05:06 PM   #64
alx_alx_69 is a jewel in the roughalx_alx_69 is a jewel in the roughalx_alx_69 is a jewel in the rough
Army: 3rd SFG
Name: Alex
alx_alx_69's Tacoma Gallery
I love how it starts in March 2004 and they are wearing ACU's, we didnt have ACU's yet
Old 02-16-2010, 12:51 AM   #65
battleyota has a brilliant futurebattleyota has a brilliant futurebattleyota has a brilliant futurebattleyota has a brilliant futurebattleyota has a brilliant futurebattleyota has a brilliant futurebattleyota has a brilliant futurebattleyota has a brilliant futurebattleyota has a brilliant futurebattleyota has a brilliant futurebattleyota has a brilliant future

Army: 11 Bang Bang Squad leader, 25th ID, with 4 vacations to the exotic lands of the middle east.
Name: David
battleyota's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by alx_alx_69 View Post
I love how it starts in March 2004 and they are wearing ACU's, we didnt have ACU's yet
Ya for some reason, that kept on confusing the shit out of me,

I'm going to a demo range today with some Navy and Air Force EOD guys...I'll make sure I'll bring my copy of the Hurt Locker for them to sign
Old 02-16-2010, 08:44 AM   #66
"Mark It Zero"
Agent475 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent475 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent475 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent475 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent475 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent475 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent475 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent475 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent475 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent475 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent475 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: Sergeant, 0261
Agent475's Tacoma Gallery
Ok so I watched the movie... Aside from some of the departures from reality, like the EOD guy sneaking out into town and his cowboy antics, I really enjoyed the realism of the movie. I was in Iraq in 2005. Kids tried to sell me DVDs, banged on our vehicles, and we wore tac 5.11 pants and had the same mag holders.

It brough back some memories for sure.

I think the director nailed the cereal aisle scene... I still feel that from time to time... Being overwhelmed like that with choices. War is a drug... I was hooked when I was there... and for a long time after. For about 2 years, all I wanted to do was go back... Should be deploying again in the next year or so - so I'll get my fix again.
Old 02-16-2010, 09:01 AM   #67
Nothin
krimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shed
krimson's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by alx_alx_69 View Post
I was thinking the same thing also... haha
Old 02-27-2010, 09:23 AM   #68
bkthompson6 is a splendid one to beholdbkthompson6 is a splendid one to beholdbkthompson6 is a splendid one to beholdbkthompson6 is a splendid one to beholdbkthompson6 is a splendid one to beholdbkthompson6 is a splendid one to behold
Coast Guard: Boatswains Mate
Name: Brandon
bkthompson6's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OU812 View Post
I have yet to see Hollywood make a movie which portrays the military accurately.
Tell me about it. Go watch "The Guardian". Nothing like the CG.
Old 02-27-2010, 01:39 PM   #69
MarineTacoDriver is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarineTacoDriver is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarineTacoDriver is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarineTacoDriver is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarineTacoDriver is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarineTacoDriver is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarineTacoDriver is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarineTacoDriver is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarineTacoDriver is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarineTacoDriver is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarineTacoDriver is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Marines: KC-130J Loadmaster
Name: Brian
MarineTacoDriver's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Afwrestler1986 View Post
I was a B-52 crew chief before I cross trained into ground radio. I watched "Dr. Strangelove" and after being in a B-52 everyday for four years, I sat down and watched the movie and it was so far off base and all I did was ridicule the movie. In other movies I always point out the uniform flaws, or the terminoligy used. I try not to let my military service take hold when watching these, but I can't help it.
That movie is very clear that it isn't trying to be like the actual military, it is satire to the core, and the fact that it involved the military was only because that was a major political item at the time. I can see why when watching movies that try to portray the real military (IE Hurt Locker, Jarhead, etc) one would complain about the extent to which the director tried to make it entertaining while attempting to make viewers believe it is 'the truth'. Any green berets get upset about Rambo when they watched it? Probably not.
Old 02-28-2010, 01:18 AM   #70
battleyota has a brilliant futurebattleyota has a brilliant futurebattleyota has a brilliant futurebattleyota has a brilliant futurebattleyota has a brilliant futurebattleyota has a brilliant futurebattleyota has a brilliant futurebattleyota has a brilliant futurebattleyota has a brilliant futurebattleyota has a brilliant futurebattleyota has a brilliant future

Army: 11 Bang Bang Squad leader, 25th ID, with 4 vacations to the exotic lands of the middle east.
Name: David
battleyota's Tacoma Gallery
[quote=BlackisBeautifull;1480803]Heres some good Military movies Ive seen,Alls Quiet on the Western Front (WWI),and a real good one is" Breaker Marant "about the Boer Gorilla War in South Africa a real goodie[/quote

recently I have been looking up South African military hardware, and I have to say they have the strangest equipment out there. Hardly any track vehicels, and Alot of V-shaped hull designed equipment....I am deffently gonna check that movie out.
Old 02-28-2010, 01:45 AM   #72
Moose
MooseTX82 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMooseTX82 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMooseTX82 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMooseTX82 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMooseTX82 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMooseTX82 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMooseTX82 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMooseTX82 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMooseTX82 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMooseTX82 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMooseTX82 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: USS John Paul Jones; Gas Turbine Technician Electrical 2nd Class (SW)
MooseTX82's Tacoma Gallery
You gotta take it with the fact that IT IS Hollywood. Im in the Navy and when I see Navy movies they are so inaccurate. IE: Top Gun (But I love it), The Guardian
Old 02-28-2010, 06:18 AM   #73
bkthompson6 is a splendid one to beholdbkthompson6 is a splendid one to beholdbkthompson6 is a splendid one to beholdbkthompson6 is a splendid one to beholdbkthompson6 is a splendid one to beholdbkthompson6 is a splendid one to behold
Coast Guard: Boatswains Mate
Name: Brandon
bkthompson6's Tacoma Gallery
The Guardian isn't a Navy movie
Old 02-28-2010, 06:24 AM   #74
Wag More Bark Less
Simon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Retired 1983-2007 Signal O4
Name: Judy or Jude :)
Simon's Mom's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackisBeautifull View Post
Heres some good Military movies Ive seen,Alls Quiet on the Western Front (WWI),and a real good one is" Breaker Marant "about the Boer Gorilla War in South Africa a real goodie
Breaker Marant, thank you!
I watched that in C&GS and could not for the life of me remember what the name of it was and wanted to see it again.
I have yet to watch the Hurt Locker though.
Old 02-28-2010, 06:34 AM   #75
The Dude abides.
Master Yota is on a distinguished road

Air Force: Boom Operator
Master Yota's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarineTacoDriver View Post
That movie is very clear that it isn't trying to be like the actual military, it is satire to the core, and the fact that it involved the military was only because that was a major political item at the time. I can see why when watching movies that try to portray the real military (IE Hurt Locker, Jarhead, etc) one would complain about the extent to which the director tried to make it entertaining while attempting to make viewers believe it is 'the truth'. Any green berets get upset about Rambo when they watched it? Probably not.
I'm with you Brian. Movies are movies. And yes, Dr. Strangelove was definately intedned to be a comedy. Also, I love that we can complain about all these movies, but in the end, we did pay to see them. And wasn't that the goal of the movie makers in the first place? The great thing about military movies is that military members want to see how close to reality they are, and the general public just wants to see a good war flick. So in the end, you are still appealing to both demographics.