1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Just watched a Horrible Military movie...opinions???

Discussion in 'Military' started by battleyota, Feb 8, 2010.

1. Feb 16, 2010 at 12:51 AM
    battleyota

battleyota [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Oahu, HI
    Vehicle:
    Beast of Destruction
    OME suspension, All-Pro UCA, rear locker, 4.56 gears front and rear diffs, rear dif locker, 32x11.5 BF Goodrich Mud Terrians KM2, 15x8 Mickey Thompson classic lock, ARB bumper, K&N Air filter. Safari Snorkel.
    Ya for some reason, that kept on confusing the shit out of me:D,

I'm going to a demo range today with some Navy and Air Force EOD guys...I'll make sure I'll bring my copy of the Hurt Locker for them to sign :rofl:

2. Feb 16, 2010 at 8:44 AM
    Agent475

Agent475 "Mark It Zero"

Member:
    Waldorf, MD
    Vehicle:
    2006 Red TRD Sport
    Hood Struts, 3" Tuff Country Lift, Shortie Antenna, WeatherTechs, Tinted front windows, custom TRD seat covers, custom pedals, debadged, custom USMC badging, quasi-functional hoodscoop (i.e. I cut it open), black front Yota emblem, Tailgate Theft-Prevention mod, Horn Relocation mod, Old Man Emu Carrier Bearing Drop, Brighter Backup Lights Mod, Smittybilt Reciever Hitch Tow Point, currently working on Satoshi Grill Mod
    Ok so I watched the movie... Aside from some of the departures from reality, like the EOD guy sneaking out into town and his cowboy antics, I really enjoyed the realism of the movie. I was in Iraq in 2005. Kids tried to sell me DVDs, banged on our vehicles, and we wore tac 5.11 pants and had the same mag holders.

It brough back some memories for sure.

I think the director nailed the cereal aisle scene... I still feel that from time to time... Being overwhelmed like that with choices. War is a drug... I was hooked when I was there... and for a long time after. For about 2 years, all I wanted to do was go back... Should be deploying again in the next year or so - so I'll get my fix again.

3. Feb 16, 2010 at 9:01 AM
    krimson

krimson Nothin

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TRD Off Road
    OME 3" lift with 885 coils. OME Shocks with TSB 1.5 AAL. 285/75/16 KM2s. XD Hoss 16" wheels. DDM Tuning 6000K HIDs, H10 6000K Fogs. BHLM. Debaged. 20% tint on front windows.
    I was thinking the same thing also... haha

4. Feb 27, 2010 at 9:23 AM
    bkthompson6

bkthompson6 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Oregon
    Tell me about it. Go watch "The Guardian". Nothing like the CG.

5. Feb 27, 2010 at 1:39 PM
    MarineTacoDriver

MarineTacoDriver Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Cherry Point
    Vehicle:
    09 SR5 4x4
    ARB front bumper, Warn M8000, ATO front/transmission/transfer case skids, Icon ext travel coilovers, Total Chaos UCA's, OME Dakar leaf springs, Bilstein/RCD 5100 3-4" lift shock, extended stainless brake lines, DrewFab shackle flip, rear ARB Airlocker, ARB air compressor
    That movie is very clear that it isn't trying to be like the actual military, it is satire to the core, and the fact that it involved the military was only because that was a major political item at the time. I can see why when watching movies that try to portray the real military (IE Hurt Locker, Jarhead, etc) one would complain about the extent to which the director tried to make it entertaining while attempting to make viewers believe it is 'the truth'. Any green berets get upset about Rambo when they watched it? Probably not.

6. Feb 28, 2010 at 1:18 AM
    battleyota

battleyota [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Oahu, HI
    Vehicle:
    Beast of Destruction
    OME suspension, All-Pro UCA, rear locker, 4.56 gears front and rear diffs, rear dif locker, 32x11.5 BF Goodrich Mud Terrians KM2, 15x8 Mickey Thompson classic lock, ARB bumper, K&N Air filter. Safari Snorkel.

7. Feb 28, 2010 at 1:43 AM
    MooseTX82

MooseTX82 Moose

Member:
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Sport 4x4
    Airaid Intake, Magnaflow Exh System, Icon Front Coilovers, TC UCAs, BFG 285s on 17" MotoMetal 951s, ARB Bumper, Hella Running Lights, Alpine CD HU, 6.5 Front JL Audio, 1 10" Kicker powered by Alpine 4 channel Amp
    I liked Hurt Locker.

8. Feb 28, 2010 at 1:45 AM
    MooseTX82

MooseTX82 Moose

Member:
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Sport 4x4
    Airaid Intake, Magnaflow Exh System, Icon Front Coilovers, TC UCAs, BFG 285s on 17" MotoMetal 951s, ARB Bumper, Hella Running Lights, Alpine CD HU, 6.5 Front JL Audio, 1 10" Kicker powered by Alpine 4 channel Amp
    You gotta take it with the fact that IT IS Hollywood. Im in the Navy and when I see Navy movies they are so inaccurate. IE: Top Gun (But I love it), The Guardian

9. Feb 28, 2010 at 6:18 AM
    bkthompson6

bkthompson6 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Oregon
    The Guardian isn't a Navy movie

10. Feb 28, 2010 at 6:24 AM
    Simon's Mom

Simon's Mom Wag More Bark Less

Member:
    First Name:
    Judy or Jude :)
    NEK Island Pond VT
    Vehicle:
    24 Tundra Trd Sport former 13 TRD OR
    Stock for now
    Breaker Marant, thank you!
    I watched that in C&GS and could not for the life of me remember what the name of it was and wanted to see it again.
    I have yet to watch the Hurt Locker though.

11. Feb 28, 2010 at 6:34 AM
    Master Yota

Master Yota The Dude abides.

Member:
    Spokane, WA
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD Sport double cab long box
    I'm with you Brian. Movies are movies. And yes, Dr. Strangelove was definately intedned to be a comedy. Also, I love that we can complain about all these movies, but in the end, we did pay to see them. And wasn't that the goal of the movie makers in the first place? The great thing about military movies is that military members want to see how close to reality they are, and the general public just wants to see a good war flick. So in the end, you are still appealing to both demographics.

Products Discussed in

To Top