LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Military

Notices

Air Force ROTC

Old 03-01-2010, 06:45 PM   #1
tacomathunder is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathunder is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathunder is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathunder is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathunder is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathunder is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathunder is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathunder is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathunder is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathunder is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathunder is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
tacomathunder's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to tacomathunder
Air Force ROTC

hey guys, in august i will be going to embry riddle aeronautical university and i will be in the Air Force ROTC.... i was wondering if anyone has gone through the air force rotc program...was it worth it....i am doing the rotc so i can go in as an officer and i will be taking my flight courses at ERAU so i can become an air force pilot...... so please share your experiences with AF ROTC or your active duty as of right now...... pics would also be cool, only if your comfortable

thanks
Old 03-03-2010, 07:20 AM   #2
nelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Ex-Cone
nelson18matt's Tacoma Gallery
havent done ROTC, but i was enlisted AF going through the pararesuce pipeline and loved every minute of it. i tore up my shoulder pretty bad at combat dive school and got an early discharge due to medical. i miss it everyday. i'm using my GI Bill to go to school and return to the military as an officer and fly. right now we kinda in a similar situation. my only advice to you is bust your ass, stay motivated and never quit! good luck buddy

what you hope to fly in AF? fixed wing or rotary?
Old 03-03-2010, 07:38 AM   #4
Mckeown343
Kyle is just really niceKyle is just really niceKyle is just really niceKyle is just really niceKyle is just really nice

Kyle's Tacoma Gallery
Awesome !!! My little brother is going there in the fall also. He loves the school and was very interested in the types of programs they had there. Best of luck to you hope it all works out!!
Old 03-03-2010, 12:50 PM   #5
tacomathunder is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathunder is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathunder is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathunder is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathunder is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathunder is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathunder is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathunder is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathunder is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathunder is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathunder is one of the sharper tools in the shed

thanks guys, and i'm going fixed wing...hoping to fly the F 15 or F 16...then hoping to rack up enough hours to go the F 22 route....but the F 15 or 16 is just fine for me
Old 03-03-2010, 06:42 PM   #6
JTaco386 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJTaco386 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJTaco386 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJTaco386 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJTaco386 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJTaco386 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJTaco386 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJTaco386 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJTaco386 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJTaco386 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJTaco386 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Flight School
Name: JT
JTaco386's Tacoma Gallery
Awsome!!! Im currently seeking my Pro Aero degree with the World Wide Campus since i'm stationed at Ft Sill. I have 11 months left active army and will be going the AFROTC route when I get out at the Daytona Campus. It's a great school and an awsome city! Good Luck! I want to fly the heavies(C-17, C-130) or rotary wing.
Old 03-04-2010, 05:27 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTaco386 View Post
Awsome!!! Im currently seeking my Pro Aero degree with the World Wide Campus since i'm stationed at Ft Sill. I have 11 months left active army and will be going the AFROTC route when I get out at the Daytona Campus. It's a great school and an awsome city! Good Luck! I want to fly the heavies(C-17, C-130) or rotary wing.
awesome man maybe we'll see eachother there... cant wait to get started
Old 03-04-2010, 06:20 PM   #8
JTaco386 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJTaco386 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJTaco386 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJTaco386 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJTaco386 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJTaco386 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJTaco386 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJTaco386 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJTaco386 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJTaco386 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJTaco386 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomathunder View Post
awesome man maybe we'll see eachother there... cant wait to get started
When do you plan on starting? Have you heard any information on the needs for pilots or how hard it will be to get a slot?
Old 03-04-2010, 06:28 PM   #9
abides.
Brunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: LT- CG MH-65C/D Driver- CGAS NOLA
Name: Mark
Brunes's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Brunes
Quote:
When do you plan on starting? Have you heard any information on the needs for pilots or how hard it will be to get a slot?
If it's anything like the other services- REALLY hard. There are a LOT of officers in the AF...but not all of them are pilots.
And all the services are cutting back on personnel to save money- so they are taking less pilots into the programs, and keeping the ones they have longer.

Good luck to all of you tho-Totally worth it!!
Old 03-04-2010, 06:35 PM   #10

oops my bad i just saw your going in august...
Old 03-04-2010, 06:36 PM   #11
IgnoringChrisWatchingEdLi veVicariouslyThroughMJP2
TacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
TacoNut's Tacoma Gallery
Embry Riddle in Prescott AZ?????

VERY nice campus!
Old 03-04-2010, 06:39 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunes View Post
If it's anything like the other services- REALLY hard. There are a LOT of officers in the AF...but not all of them are pilots.
And all the services are cutting back on personnel to save money- so they are taking less pilots into the programs, and keeping the ones they have longer.

Good luck to all of you tho-Totally worth it!!

Thanks! I know it's hard to get the pilot slots and was wondering if he had some info on it. I looked into joining the CG as an officer, but I think there is a rule about having six years in another branch disqualifies you.
Old 03-04-2010, 06:44 PM   #13
abides.
Brunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Brunes's Tacoma Gallery
I would look farther into that if I were you...cause 6 years seems short. There are Navy pilots who transfer to the CG with 8-10 years in.

You are going to be hard pressed to find a "good" representation of how hard it is to get a slot...It is a competitive program to start with- The economy and the socio- political environment being what it is...IT's even harder.

As examples- The Navy is raising the minimum required academic grades in flight school, lowering the number of events you can fail, taking less people into the program, and letting people volunteer to leave on their own.
Old 03-04-2010, 07:16 PM   #14

Quote:
I would look farther into that if I were you...cause 6 years seems short. There are Navy pilots who transfer to the CG with 8-10 years in.

You are going to be hard pressed to find a "good" representation of how hard it is to get a slot...It is a competitive program to start with- The economy and the socio- political environment being what it is...IT's even harder.

As examples- The Navy is raising the minimum required academic grades in flight school, lowering the number of events you can fail, taking less people into the program, and letting people volunteer to leave on their own.
In your opinion what are some good fields for an officer in the CG? I have heard about the AF sending alot of pilots to the UAV field..
Old 03-04-2010, 07:22 PM   #15
abides.

Brunes's Tacoma Gallery
I'm not sure how you mean "Good Fields" Are you talking about like college majors or job specialties??

We just qualified our first UAV pilot recently in the CG. Fixed wing is really full up but rotary aviation is still looking for people. If you are into (or think you might be into) Law Enforcement- There are TONS opportunities for that. DWO isn't really all that great in my opinion- but it's an option.

Any college degree will work for the most part...

What kinda stuff are you interested in??
Old 03-04-2010, 07:44 PM   #16

I meant job specialties. I'm interested in flying and law enforcement, but more on the investigative side, like the Army's CID. If I could fly, it wouldn't matter if it was fixed or rotary wing. I'm almost halfway done with my degree and I heard about a program that the CG has with direct commission. If you know better ways that would be great! I think I hijacked his thread, hopefully he won't mind..
Old 03-04-2010, 07:49 PM   #17

Quote:
I meant job specialties. I'm interested in flying and law enforcement, but more on the investigative side, like the Army's CID. If I could fly, it wouldn't matter if it was fixed or rotary wing. I'm almost halfway done with my degree and I heard about a program that the CG has with direct commission. If you know better ways that would be great! I think I hijacked his thread, hopefully he won't mind..
oh its absolutely fine, i myself am learning from what everyone one has said.......like i said though, i'm want to be a fighter pilot, but any piloting oppertunity fixxed or rotary will work for me...or at least get to work on the planes...but i will definately be an officer in the USAF when all is said and done!!!THE SKY IS THE LIMIT!!!
Old 03-12-2010, 08:05 PM   #19

Quote:
There is a CGIS (Exactly like CID but CG instead of Army).

And OCS is probably the best way to do it. If/When you get into and thru OCS- You might get a flight slot straight off and at the worst it'll be a year or a year and a half to get a spot....
Thanks for the information, I need to finish this degree first....
Old 04-16-2010, 01:04 PM   #20
goskiracer is on a distinguished road
Air Force: 2LT at Air Force Institute of Technology, Astronautical Engineering Masters Student
Name: Tyler
goskiracer's Tacoma Gallery
Hey everyone, I commissioned from AFROTC last year. I am a 62EHX (Mechanical Engineer) assigned to Wright Patt getting a masters in Astronautical Engineering.

tacomathunder, colten, anybody else who is doing or thinking of doing AFROTC I can probably answer most of your questions about ROTC and getting pilot slots and what to expect. Most of my buddies went the pilot route, i'm going the test flight engineer path, more my cup o' tea.

Post your questions about preparation, succeeding as a cadet/student, getting the job you want in this forum so folks who are interested can see it.

oh yeah, the tacoma was my Lt mobile