Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Military

Notices

Military Hardware

Old 02-10-2010, 05:08 PM   #461
go shit in your hat
brianr is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianr is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianr is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianr is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianr is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianr is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianr is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianr is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianr is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianr is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianr is one of the sharper tools in the shed
brianr's Tacoma Gallery
Martin B26 Marauders a.k.a as "widow makers".

Douglas A26 Invader

Douglas A20 Havoc

Old 02-10-2010, 05:29 PM   #462
kinetik873 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinetik873 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinetik873 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinetik873 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinetik873 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinetik873 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinetik873 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinetik873 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinetik873 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinetik873 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinetik873 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: GM1(sw/exw), USS Tortuga 01-04, NSWDG 04-09.
Name: Josh
kinetik873's Tacoma Gallery
my kit.

my toys.

S/A M1A, troy ind. MCS, Nightforce 5.5x22x56mm
Mk 12 SPR, Aimpoint Comp2M, Surefire M600l
Walther P99.

..And in this moment I will not run, it is my place to stand.
And we few shall carry this hope, within our bloodied hands"
-Cruxshadows Winterborn.
Attached Thumbnails
Military Hardware-011.jpg  
Old 02-10-2010, 05:32 PM   #463
SMSgt / 2W091
El Diablo is one of the sharper tools in the shedEl Diablo is one of the sharper tools in the shedEl Diablo is one of the sharper tools in the shedEl Diablo is one of the sharper tools in the shedEl Diablo is one of the sharper tools in the shedEl Diablo is one of the sharper tools in the shedEl Diablo is one of the sharper tools in the shedEl Diablo is one of the sharper tools in the shedEl Diablo is one of the sharper tools in the shedEl Diablo is one of the sharper tools in the shedEl Diablo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: IYAAYAS
Name: Beelzebub
El Diablo's Tacoma Gallery
Good shit, Brian! The Invader is one of my favorites.
Here is the P-61 Black Widow. The finest Night Fighter, ever.

Follow this link to the restoration of the only flyable P-61.
http://www.maam.org/p61.html
Attached Thumbnails
Military Hardware-northrop-p61-blackwidow.jpg   Military Hardware-northrop-p61-blackwidow_3.jpg   Military Hardware-northrop-p61-blackwidow_5.jpg   Military Hardware-northrop-p61-blackwidow_7.jpg   Military Hardware-northrop-p61-blackwidow_10.jpg  

Military Hardware-northrop-p61-blackwidow_13.jpg  
Old 02-10-2010, 05:40 PM   #464
go shit in your hat
brianr is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianr is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianr is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianr is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianr is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianr is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianr is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianr is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianr is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianr is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianr is one of the sharper tools in the shed
brianr's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Diablo View Post
Good shit, Brian! The Invader is one of my favorites.
Here is the P-61 Black Widow. The finest Night Fighter, ever.

J, I still prefer the P38M Night Lightning

footage of the 38M in the air towards the end of this clip.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SIQi5B87DP4

Old 02-10-2010, 05:49 PM   #465
go shit in your hat
brianr's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flycatcher View Post
I love the lightning. That is the one major fighter of WWII I have never personally seen. Not enough to go around. I think there are less than 7 left flying in the world. They found "the lost squadron" a while back but only saved 1 plane. Damn shame

Quote:
Originally Posted by nd View Post
that is definately the most beautiful plane ever made. THE FORK-TAILED DEVIL!
Quote:
Originally Posted by danusa View Post
Yupper! Rich Bong did some good work with it.

Richard Bong with 40 confirmed kills in the pacific.

nothing like the sound of two Allison 12 cylinder counter rotating engine running at full throttle and GE superchargers barking.
Old 02-10-2010, 05:57 PM   #466
Proud to be Awesome
Twiget is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwiget is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwiget is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwiget is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwiget is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwiget is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwiget is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwiget is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwiget is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwiget is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwiget is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: U.S.S. San Jacinto (CG-56)
Twiget's Tacoma Gallery
USS San Jacinto (CG-56), The World's Finest Aegis Cruiser, and home for 4.5 years.

2 5" 54 caliber deck guns, 122 missiles in 2 VLS's (almost any combo of SM2/3's, ASROCS, & Tomahawks, including nuclear Tomahawks). We also carried 8 Harpoon anti-ship missiles, 2 SH-60 choppers, and a whole mess of small arms, from 2 20mm CIWS mounts to Beretta M9's and quite a few things in between.
Attached Thumbnails
Military Hardware-san-jacinto-3.jpg   Military Hardware-san-jacinto-commissioning-poster-small.jpg  
Old 02-10-2010, 06:00 PM   #467
Mob parking lots.
ryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: ET2(SS) veteran
Name: Ryan J. Boutin
ryanjboutin's Tacoma Gallery
Looks like the TX state flag is flying higher than the US flag.
Old 02-10-2010, 06:05 PM   #468
SMSgt / 2W091
El Diablo is one of the sharper tools in the shedEl Diablo is one of the sharper tools in the shedEl Diablo is one of the sharper tools in the shedEl Diablo is one of the sharper tools in the shedEl Diablo is one of the sharper tools in the shedEl Diablo is one of the sharper tools in the shedEl Diablo is one of the sharper tools in the shedEl Diablo is one of the sharper tools in the shedEl Diablo is one of the sharper tools in the shedEl Diablo is one of the sharper tools in the shedEl Diablo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Brian, Brian, Brian...
the RA-5C Vigilante is the most beautiful aircraft ever. But if your talking piston engine only, it's the F8F Bearcat.
At Boca Chica

The Bearcat

With her older sister, the F6F Hellcat
Attached Thumbnails
Military Hardware-0797218.jpg   Military Hardware-1184943.jpg   Military Hardware-1332640.jpg   Military Hardware-vigi_color.jpg   Military Hardware-ra-5c.jpg  

Military Hardware-0708011_12.jpg   Military Hardware-0708011_13.jpg  
Old 02-10-2010, 06:09 PM   #469
go shit in your hat
brianr's Tacoma Gallery
J, how many Vigilante or Bearcat pilots can claim to have done this;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ITRLk9b9AcY
Old 02-10-2010, 06:22 PM   #470
SMSgt / 2W091

Ha! I guess not too many since the Bearcat never flew combat in American colors. And the Vigilante was converted to High Speed Recon!
Old 02-10-2010, 06:50 PM   #471
go shit in your hat
brianr's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Diablo View Post
Ha! I guess not too many since the Bearcat never flew combat in American colors. And the Vigilante was converted to High Speed Recon!

Old 02-11-2010, 09:23 AM   #472
Proud to be Awesome
Twiget is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwiget is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwiget is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwiget is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwiget is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwiget is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwiget is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwiget is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwiget is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwiget is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwiget is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Twiget's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanjboutin View Post
Looks like the TX state flag is flying higher than the US flag.
Seriously? 9700 tons of bad-assery and that is what you notice?
Old 02-11-2010, 09:39 AM   #473
Proud to be Awesome

Twiget's Tacoma Gallery
I'll give you 3 out of 4 on that, squirrel. IMO, the A-10, while seriously bad ass, is fugly.

Take the A-10 out, and toss in the SR-71, and now your golden.

Old 02-11-2010, 10:14 AM   #474
Afwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: B-52 Crew Chief/ Ground Radio MX/ LC-
Name: Matt
Afwrestler1986's Tacoma Gallery
The A-10 is a warrior, was designed for function, not to look good.

Military: Here is a gun............

Fairchild-Republic:..........okayyyyy.........

Military: We want you to slap wings and some engines on it.

Fairchild-republic: ......ummmmmm......it will not be pretty, but we will see what we can do.

Military: Good shit. Make it happen.

A-10 is born.

And then you have the B-52, ugly?..........some think so, but others see their saving grace. I was at a bar one night and there were a bunch of Marines there, so I walked up to them being fellow servicemen and struck up conversation. When they found out I was Air Force they started giving me shit about it, until they found out I crewed on the Buff. At that moment they all had a sudden change of attitude, and one of them thanked me for helping save their lives. I was kind of put off by it and he explained that they had been getting mortored and were receiving a ton of small arms fire from all directions and that they had called for air. And they said all they saw was this B-52 come into sight and bomb the hell out of one of the mortor sites, and all of the fire ceased instantaniously. They bought me drinks the rest of the night. Pretty damn cool.

Hell, it was drawn on a napkin and was only supposed to be in use for around 10 years. It is still one of the most feared aircraft in the US military arsenal. Insurgents have surrendered to ground troops as an EMPTY B-52 flew overhead. I myself (once a bomber crew chief) have always loved the bombers. Especially the B-24 Liberator.

Ugly as they may be, they are still two awesome aircraft.
Old 02-11-2010, 10:28 AM   #475
07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Greg
07trd4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Sr-71. Love it. Prob the best!!!!
Old 02-11-2010, 01:27 PM   #476
SMSgt / 2W091

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecretSquirrel View Post
These are the most beautiful aircraft....

The Eagle and the Mustang are on my top 5 list. The F-22 as badass as it is just doesn't do it for me. The A-10 is not beautiful but damn it is sinister looking, especially on the ground.
Old 02-11-2010, 01:31 PM   #477
Patrick is on a distinguished road
Patrick's Tacoma Gallery
no way the greatest plane of all time is the F-111 ardvark. I cant post a pic im at work right now. Google a picture. It has swept wings and you sit side by side in the cockpit. Remember "Bombers make History Fighters make Movies"
Old 02-11-2010, 01:34 PM   #478
Patrick is on a distinguished road
Patrick's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah when I worked the B-52, no insurgents were surrendering to us. I was in Guam soaking up the sun. Dont know of many buffs in the desert, sounds more like a B-1 job.
Old 02-11-2010, 01:40 PM   #479
SMSgt / 2W091

If we're talking Mustangs then the most beautiful is the P-51H.

Early production design changes included a taller vertical stabilizer to address directional stability issues caused by the greater power, incorporation of the latest radio equipment, and strengthening of the wings and fuselage.
The Army promptly ordered 2,400 of the new Mustang, with the first example rolling off the assembly line in February of 1945. As the first 370 examples were built, the war in Europe came to a close, followed some bloody months later by the surrender of the Japanese after the first use of the atomic bomb on Hiroshima and Nagasaki.
With the end of hostilities, the Army Air Force promptly cancelled many orders for aircraft, including the P-51H. Production was allowed to continue until all of the pre-built sub-assemblies were used up, resulting in a final production total of 555 P-51H Mustangs.
The British, at whose request the development program had been initiated, apparently never received any of the new Mustang. No order was placed as the war in Europe ended, as did the RAF requirement for the new fighter.
Produced too late in the war, the P-51H did not see combat. During the Berlin crisis and subsequent Berlin Airlift, the Air Force deployed P-51H's to the only direct front the USA had with the Soviet Union. "H" Mustangs were deployed to the harsh environment of Alaska to guard this distant frontier, but no conflict developed there. In addition, P-51H Mustangs served as long-range escort during the initial development of the new Strategic Air Command.
The developments of new jet aircraft would overshadow the "H", which stood along with the P-51D as the front line defense fighter during the transition to jets. By the 1950's, most P-51H's were delivered to the Air National Guard before once again, they were eventually replaced by jets in the mid fifties.
The outbreak of the Korean Conflict might have brought the "H" into combat, but several factors precluded the use of the type. The Air Force still had over 1400 P-51D's in service with the USAF, ANG, or in storage, along with a large number of trained and experienced maintenance and crew. The airfield conditions were similar to the rough conditions in Western Europe during the Second World War, and the "H" model's lighter landing gear and smaller tires were not designed for these conditions. The limited number of aircraft, and the scattered nature of it's deployment in the Air Force and ANG made assembling a cohesive, trained force of "H" Mustang pilots and crews difficult.

P-51H-5-NA Specifications:

Length: 33 ft. 4 in. Height: 8 ft. 10 in. Wingspan: 37 ft. 0 in.

Weight: Empty 6,585 lbs. Normal 9,000 lbs. Maximum 11,500 lbs.

Engine: Packard-Merlin V-1650-9 V-12 rated at Maximum 2218 h.p.

Maximum Speed: 487 m.p.h. @ 25,000 ft. Maximum Range: w/drop tanks 1,530 mi.

Rate of Climb: 3,000 / min. Service Ceiling: 41,600 ft.

Armament: 6 - .50 Cal M-2 Machine Guns, 2 - 1000 lb Bombs, 6 to10 Five Inch HVAR Rockets
Attached Thumbnails
Military Hardware-0709033_15.jpg   Military Hardware-p51.jpg   Military Hardware-p51h.jpg   Military Hardware-el-2003-00315.jpg