Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Military

Notices

Swore in for the Navy today!!!

Old 03-03-2010, 09:23 PM   #41
Motivator
YayAreaTaco0311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYayAreaTaco0311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYayAreaTaco0311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYayAreaTaco0311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYayAreaTaco0311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYayAreaTaco0311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYayAreaTaco0311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYayAreaTaco0311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYayAreaTaco0311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYayAreaTaco0311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYayAreaTaco0311 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: Police Caller
YayAreaTaco0311's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by User123 View Post
Congrats brother!

Here's my perspective. I did my entire enlistment with the Marines. I was only maybe 3 or 4 out of a class of about 50 during Corps School that actually wanted to go greenside. Its sad to say but once you get to the fleet, most of the greenside Corpsman you'll see are ones that did not want to go with the Marines and are only just there "doing their time" and that leads to alot of bad attitudes and bad reputations for the rest of us.

In my experience, there are 2 types of greenside Corpsman

The lazy asses that try to get out of everything claiming "thats not my job"

And then there are the motivated ones. The ones that want to be there with them and it shows in their attitude and in the way they train. Since you seem like the latter, I dont think you'll have problems. Just go in there and try to out Marine the Marines and they will respect you for it. Dont EVER pull that "I'm a corpsman, I dont do that crap" BS. I HATED that $hit and when I was senior line, I made sure my junior Corpsman NEVER pulled that crap.

As far as being non appreciated or "picked on" by Marines. Its more prevalent with the POGs or support commands because the Corpsman at those commands dont do too much operationally other than set up the BAS and CASEVAC. Not too much integrated training with the Marines like there is in a line company.

Do everything you can to try and get with a grunt unit. And once you're there, do everything you can to get out to a line company. The last thing you want is to get to a grunt unit and sit at the BAS.

The camaraderie that everyone speaks of between a Marine and a Corpsman is usually within grunt units in my experience because you are part of the platoon. The lines between Marine and Corpsman get really blurred at the platoon level as long as you have a cool Platoon Sgt. I was basically a rifleman until someone got hurt. I cleared rooms with my guys in Iraq, knew more about the radio than our platoon R.O. and even taught M.O.U.T to the Iraqi National Guard. I was also a crossdresser for those of you who know what that is.

It's all about what you put in to it. You expect them to learn all the medical classes you teach them so its only fair you learn everything you can during all the classes given on Marine Corps related material.

There really is NO experience like it. You will never be closer to a bunch of guys as you will with your platoon. You get real protective of your guys and they you. I've been out since 08 and I still get calls from guys regarding medical issues lol.

Just strive to be the BEST Corpsman you can be and you should be alright. Feel free to ask me any questions you have.

Oh, and if you deploy on a MEU(you'll be on a ship) DO NOT stand in the Navy line for chow. Stay with your Marines. The lines may be longer but dont separate yourself from your guys.

As far as SWCC goes, If you like serving with the Marines, why not Recon?

If you like to read, try Force Recon Diary 1969 by Major Bruce Norton. He was a Recon Corpsman and eventually went on to become a Major in the Marine Corps.
Hey Doc, I love you.
Old 03-03-2010, 09:26 PM   #42
Sheepdog has a brilliant futureSheepdog has a brilliant futureSheepdog has a brilliant futureSheepdog has a brilliant futureSheepdog has a brilliant futureSheepdog has a brilliant futureSheepdog has a brilliant futureSheepdog has a brilliant futureSheepdog has a brilliant futureSheepdog has a brilliant futureSheepdog has a brilliant future

Navy: Hospital Corpsman 8404 (HM3)
Name: Gary
Sheepdog's Tacoma Gallery
Thank you ALL soo much for your support. It really touches me that you guys appreciate what I signed up for. And I'm very grateful that all you FMF docs support me. I will NOT let you guys down. I can't wait till the day I become one of you.
Old 03-03-2010, 10:56 PM   #43
User123 has a spectacular aura aboutUser123 has a spectacular aura about
Navy: Corpsman of Marines 1st Bn 4th Marines
User123's Tacoma Gallery
Its a very proud community and theres ALOT to live up to. Combat in Iraq was rough and all but man, the things the Corpsman did in WW2 amazes me. Just work hard and get a good reputation. A good reputation goes ALONG way. Its a small community so someone knows someone that knows someone.

Navy Boot Camp is a breeze. Not as easy as the chAir Force but definitely nothing like Marine Corps bootcamp. Just listen to the advice of the members here and dont stand out too much. I think everyone including myself stressed WAAY too much about the impact bootcamp was going to have on the rest of our military careers. Once youre out it doesnt mean squat. I busted my ass and was Honor Grad of a Hall of Fame Division and I was so proud of myself... only to realize that it meant nothing except a statue of the lone sailor and a letter of appreciation...

Its what you do at Corps School thats gonna define you. Some of the instructors come from the same units you may end up at and they definitely have friends in other commands. You may even be serving with them after their billet is done. One of my Corps School instructors ended up in my FMSS class as a student. And the Sgt. that was my platoon instructor at FMSS ended up in my company in the fleet.

Just remember that going greenside is not guaranteed. They'll tell you not to worry because odds are you'll end up there regardless but do everything to improve your chances. I've seen guys that were super motivated about going with the grunts end up in a hospital. Happens ALL the time. The higher you rank in the class. The more likely you'll get your first choice on your "dream sheet" The temptations will definitely be there during Corps School. You go from the confines of Boot Camp to almost a college like atmosphere with plenty of girls. Just stay focused.

The "fleet returnees" usually get the first pick of orders. Then all the "boots" in the order of class ranking. Atleast when I was there in 03. My class lucked out and we actually got to sit down with a detailer and I was able to secure orders to 1stMarDiv. People thought I was crazy because I passed up some sweet orders... Puerto Rico(which was still open at that time) Spain, Italy, Japan... I'd be lying if I said I didnt think about that while I was out in Iraq though...
Old 03-03-2010, 10:58 PM   #44
User123's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by YayAreaTaco0311 View Post
Hey Doc, I love you.
Awww... your making me blush... I'll be gentle with the bore punch...
Old 03-04-2010, 04:15 AM   #45
︻╦╤─
Doc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: HM1 (FMF/SW/AW)
Name: Frank
Doc.SS's Tacoma Gallery
Dayum, User123 got all inspirational and stuff....
Old 03-04-2010, 10:55 AM   #46
User123's Tacoma Gallery
Yea... I loved my time with the Marines. I was always one of those weird kids that grew up fascinated with the military. I read a TON of military related books and I remember being in middle school watching the first gulf war and wishing I was there. I tried to enlist with the Marines when I was 18 and scored a 96 on the ASVAB but due to some "questionable" tattoos, I was denied. When the war broke out, I thought I would be able to get a waiver but was denied again... Then the Navy came to the rescue... I showed my tattoos to the fat salty Chief and he barely looked at me and said "No Problem" So basically, going in as a Corpsman was my "backdoor" into the Marine Corps Infantry.
Old 03-04-2010, 10:58 AM   #47
︻╦╤─
Doc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: HM1 (FMF/SW/AW)
Name: Frank
Doc.SS's Tacoma Gallery
What do you do now..?
Old 03-04-2010, 11:35 AM   #48
User123's Tacoma Gallery
Currently unemployed... I was let go from my probationary position as a Firefighter...