Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Military

Notices

Debating about the Air Guard

Old 03-05-2010, 07:49 PM   #1
Not your average girl
yotanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotanator is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Small town firefighter EMT
Name: Katie
yotanator's Tacoma Gallery
Debating about the Air Guard

Since I was in high school I've been thinking about joining the Air Force. Now I'm unemployed and school is on hold due to my parents recently going into retirement, and the fact that I'm unemployed. I personally feel that it's a good decision, but I still have some things to think about before joining my local Air Guard.

So anyway, those who are in the military do you enjoy it? What things should I know that a recruiter would not tell me?
Old 03-05-2010, 08:05 PM   #2
Wildcat is on a distinguished road

Army: Prior Service - National Guard
Wildcat's Tacoma Gallery
I am in the Army National Guard, but the Air Force and Army NG's work hand in hand on an upper command level. Just my opinion, but I would advise you to check into ROTC if you have not finished your bachelor's degree. You can get a scholarship and monthly stipend (free money) while you are in school. I like the Army, but my sister is active Air Force and they generally get better overall treatment than the Army as far as facilities, etc. Just realize that you will be deployed at some point. Definitely worth it to get your school paid for and the NG is a great way to serve. If you have the ability, do what you can to become an officer if going into the military.
Old 03-05-2010, 08:06 PM   #3
REX_111_MDG_BMET is one of the sharper tools in the shedREX_111_MDG_BMET is one of the sharper tools in the shedREX_111_MDG_BMET is one of the sharper tools in the shedREX_111_MDG_BMET is one of the sharper tools in the shedREX_111_MDG_BMET is one of the sharper tools in the shedREX_111_MDG_BMET is one of the sharper tools in the shedREX_111_MDG_BMET is one of the sharper tools in the shedREX_111_MDG_BMET is one of the sharper tools in the shedREX_111_MDG_BMET is one of the sharper tools in the shedREX_111_MDG_BMET is one of the sharper tools in the shedREX_111_MDG_BMET is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: SSGT, BMET
REX_111_MDG_BMET's Tacoma Gallery
Definitely the best thing I've ever done-- I only wish I had gone active duty...
Old 03-05-2010, 08:07 PM   #4
Not your average girl
yotanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotanator is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecretSquirrel View Post
It's the best move I ever made. Learned a trade & traveled the world...

How many college credits do you have? You'll earn extra rank coming out of basic training based on the number...
I have over 100 I think. I only have a year or so left before I get my bachelors.
Old 03-05-2010, 08:14 PM   #5
Not your average girl

Quote:
With that, you'll be an E-3 coming out of basic (unless it recently changed).

Like others said, if you can finish before going in... go that route.

If you can't, go in & finish while you're in. Find a career that interests you and gain experience for the really-real world. If you decide to get out in 4, you'll hit the ground running...

EDIT: I just realized you mentioned Guard. I was speaking of active duty. Someone with Guard experience can fill in the blanks on education & commitments...
Thanks a bunch for the info. I really appreciate any input
Old 03-05-2010, 08:14 PM   #6
Sooooooper Moderator
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: former TSgt/E6, 3D172, Cyber Transport, NC Air Guard and prior AD
Name: Jamie
jhodge83's Tacoma Gallery
^^SS, same deal for ANG. i'm trying to finish my degree now to go officer. got less than a year. some slots will allow someone to go to OCS and all before the degree is finished. just another thing to keep in mind
Old 03-05-2010, 08:18 PM   #7
Not your average girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhodge83 View Post
^^SS, same deal for ANG. i'm trying to finish my degree now to go officer. got less than a year. some slots will allow someone to go to OCS and all before the degree is finished. just another thing to keep in mind
I have heard of that. I want to work on a transport like a C-130, so I will need to go to OCS I'm pretty sure. Except if I wanted to be a loadmaster.
Old 03-05-2010, 08:21 PM   #8
Sooooooper Moderator
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: former TSgt/E6, 3D172, Cyber Transport, NC Air Guard and prior AD
Name: Jamie
jhodge83's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by yotanator View Post
I have heard of that. I want to work on a transport like a C-130, so I will need to go to OCS I'm pretty sure. Except if I wanted to be a loadmaster.
anything pilot or navigator needs OCS...loadmaster or crew chiefs, etc are enlisted. u can get in talks w/ a recruiter to take the AFOQT if u want to go the officer route. test scores are lifetime, but u can only take it twice EVER....
Old 03-05-2010, 08:22 PM   #9
REX_111_MDG_BMET is one of the sharper tools in the shedREX_111_MDG_BMET is one of the sharper tools in the shedREX_111_MDG_BMET is one of the sharper tools in the shedREX_111_MDG_BMET is one of the sharper tools in the shedREX_111_MDG_BMET is one of the sharper tools in the shedREX_111_MDG_BMET is one of the sharper tools in the shedREX_111_MDG_BMET is one of the sharper tools in the shedREX_111_MDG_BMET is one of the sharper tools in the shedREX_111_MDG_BMET is one of the sharper tools in the shedREX_111_MDG_BMET is one of the sharper tools in the shedREX_111_MDG_BMET is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
my advice would be to get a job in a field you could do outside the guard-- for instance, im a biomed (work on hospital equipment) so theres plenty of civilian jobs-- loadmaster, not so much....

(on a side note 100th post!!!)
Old 03-05-2010, 08:30 PM   #11
Not your average girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhodge83 View Post
anything pilot or navigator needs OCS...loadmaster or crew chiefs, etc are enlisted. u can get in talks w/ a recruiter to take the AFOQT if u want to go the officer route. test scores are lifetime, but u can only take it twice EVER....
Quote:
Originally Posted by REX_111_MDG_BMET View Post
my advice would be to get a job in a field you could do outside the guard-- for instance, im a biomed (work on hospital equipment) so theres plenty of civilian jobs-- loadmaster, not so much....

(on a side note 100th post!!!)
I have thought about going something the medical rout since I seem to have a natural aptitude for it
Old 03-05-2010, 08:30 PM   #12
Wildcat is on a distinguished road

Army: Prior Service - National Guard
Wildcat's Tacoma Gallery
OCS (or OTS in the Air Force) is a good option if you want to go through basic first. I went through OCS and it is a good program, but a lot of unnecessary BS, kind of like some of the stuff you find in Basic. That is why I suggested ROTC, but if you only have a year left that probably wouldn't work. If it is the same in the AF, you need 60 credit hours to start OCS and 90 to commission. You only have to finish your bachelor's to make Captain. At least that's the way it is on the Army side. As far as recruiters, most I have dealt with are mostly honest, but the biggest thing is to have everything on a signed document somewhere. I initially lost out on a GI Bill kicker due to not having the paperwork.
Old 03-05-2010, 08:31 PM   #13
Not your average girl

Quote:
Not all C-130s are transports
Yes I know
Old 03-05-2010, 08:38 PM   #14

Quote:
I have thought about going something the medical rout since I seem to have a natural aptitude for it
there are plenty of medical jobs out there-- they just moved all the af/army medical schools to ft sam in san antonio-- when i was in school it was in wichita falls so at least in san antonio you'll actually have cool places to go when youre not in class!!
Old 03-05-2010, 08:44 PM   #15
Not your average girl

Quote:
The EC-130E Herc was my baby for 4yrs...

I've never heard of an EC-130, just the regular transports and the spookies
Old 03-05-2010, 08:45 PM   #16
Not your average girl

Quote:
there are plenty of medical jobs out there-- they just moved all the af/army medical schools to ft sam in san antonio-- when i was in school it was in wichita falls so at least in san antonio you'll actually have cool places to go when youre not in class!!
San Antonio is also near where basic is, right?
Old 03-05-2010, 08:51 PM   #17
Not your average girl

Quote:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lockheed_EC-130

I was on ABCCC, which has since been retired...
Looks very interesting!
Old 03-05-2010, 08:53 PM   #18

Quote:
San Antonio is also near where basic is, right?
yup-- good old lackland-- hopefully you dont stay there for seven months like i did!!
Old 03-05-2010, 09:05 PM   #19
Not your average girl

Quote:
yup-- good old lackland-- hopefully you dont stay there for seven months like i did!!
Were you stationed there?
Old 03-05-2010, 09:08 PM   #20

Quote:
Were you stationed there?
no-- broke my leg during basic-- had to have a rod implanted-- VERY long story short, they let me go back to training and i graduated