Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Military

Notices

Social Networking sites

Old 03-06-2010, 06:15 AM   #1
SMSgt / 2W091
El Diablo is one of the sharper tools in the shedEl Diablo is one of the sharper tools in the shedEl Diablo is one of the sharper tools in the shedEl Diablo is one of the sharper tools in the shedEl Diablo is one of the sharper tools in the shedEl Diablo is one of the sharper tools in the shedEl Diablo is one of the sharper tools in the shedEl Diablo is one of the sharper tools in the shedEl Diablo is one of the sharper tools in the shedEl Diablo is one of the sharper tools in the shedEl Diablo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: IYAAYAS
Name: Beelzebub
El Diablo's Tacoma Gallery
Social Networking sites

Have any of you heard that the DOD is going to unblock social networking sites, like Facebook, Twitter and Youtube?They block so much stuff, I'm surprised that TW is still accessable.
Old 03-06-2010, 06:41 AM   #2
Experienced Noob
MHS2846bg8 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMHS2846bg8 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMHS2846bg8 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMHS2846bg8 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMHS2846bg8 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMHS2846bg8 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMHS2846bg8 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMHS2846bg8 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMHS2846bg8 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMHS2846bg8 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMHS2846bg8 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: 911 Dispatch/R-LEO
Name: Nate
MHS2846bg8's Tacoma Gallery
TW isn't accessible from my shops computers...

I know there was a social networking site that was specifically designed for military members and was going to be allowed of govt computers, but I don't really foresee them unblocking MySpace or Facebook anytime soon.
Old 03-06-2010, 09:30 AM   #3
The TW 1%
ForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Coast Guard: Chief Petty Officer, ITC
Name: Drunken Sailor
ForeRunner's Tacoma Gallery
I have not heard anything about them allowing access to blocked sites. There are rumors about thumb drives though, but it's just a rumor though.

In my field of work for the Military I can say it is highly inadvisable to use the DOD computers for anything but business. When the warning says "subject to monitoring" they mean it.

I hit up TW at lunch occasionally but I turn off images, avatars and signatures before I hit up a thread.
Old 03-06-2010, 09:49 AM   #4
MTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Weesa
MTgirl's Tacoma Gallery
http://www.army.mil/-news/2010/03/01...nterest-title1

this came out last week - they are saying there will be "limited" access. not sure what that means exactly...
Old 03-06-2010, 03:27 PM   #5
Sooooooper Moderator
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: former TSgt/E6, 3D172, Cyber Transport, NC Air Guard and prior AD
Name: Jamie
jhodge83's Tacoma Gallery
they block everything at my guard base and on the navy base i work at. we even explicitly deny "together we served" at our outside router per IP. i dont see them removing the blocks simply b/c of all the virus', let alone the dumbasses posting OPSEC info on there
Old 03-06-2010, 04:51 PM   #6
Experienced Noob
MHS2846bg8 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMHS2846bg8 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMHS2846bg8 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMHS2846bg8 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMHS2846bg8 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMHS2846bg8 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMHS2846bg8 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMHS2846bg8 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMHS2846bg8 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMHS2846bg8 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMHS2846bg8 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilted Chiken View Post
I have not heard anything about them allowing access to blocked sites. There are rumors about thumb drives though, but it's just a rumor though.
Thumb drives are not supposed to be in DoD computers unless its pertinent to the job...I was the data chief in Iraq for my unit when this order came down...it was because some virus outbreak that happened in EU because of thumbdrives. It sucked cuz it was in the middle of the deployment and for those of you who've been out there on one of the bigger bases, you know about the share drive. lol
Old 03-06-2010, 05:07 PM   #7
Resident Gun-toting Hippie
luni is one of the sharper tools in the shedluni is one of the sharper tools in the shedluni is one of the sharper tools in the shedluni is one of the sharper tools in the shedluni is one of the sharper tools in the shedluni is one of the sharper tools in the shedluni is one of the sharper tools in the shedluni is one of the sharper tools in the shedluni is one of the sharper tools in the shedluni is one of the sharper tools in the shedluni is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Combat Medic
Name: Burt's Mustache
luni's Tacoma Gallery
Not to mention Secret thumb drives turning up in bizarres outside the wire. What they were doing outside the TOC is a mystery. Could be a dumb staff officer or a crooked terp.
Old 03-06-2010, 05:15 PM   #8
2kool4school is one of the sharper tools in the shed2kool4school is one of the sharper tools in the shed2kool4school is one of the sharper tools in the shed2kool4school is one of the sharper tools in the shed2kool4school is one of the sharper tools in the shed2kool4school is one of the sharper tools in the shed2kool4school is one of the sharper tools in the shed2kool4school is one of the sharper tools in the shed2kool4school is one of the sharper tools in the shed2kool4school is one of the sharper tools in the shed2kool4school is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: FC1(SW)
Name: Beau
2kool4school's Tacoma Gallery
i get on FB and TW at work everyday NMCI(Navy Marine Corps Intranet) doesnt block either of them.
Old 03-06-2010, 05:18 PM   #9
Experienced Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2kool4school View Post
i get on FB and TW at work everyday NMCI(Navy Marine Corps Intranet) doesnt block either of them.

I have NMCI and it blocks it...then again, mine blocks parts of news sites as well.
Old 03-06-2010, 05:30 PM   #10
Proud Washingtonian
godofspeed has much to be proud ofgodofspeed has much to be proud ofgodofspeed has much to be proud ofgodofspeed has much to be proud ofgodofspeed has much to be proud ofgodofspeed has much to be proud ofgodofspeed has much to be proud ofgodofspeed has much to be proud of

Navy: paper pusher
Name: Steve
godofspeed's Tacoma Gallery
I have NMCI and I can get on TW and Face Book. They might have different policy at other regions.
Old 03-06-2010, 05:41 PM   #11
Experienced Noob

i'm at Pendleton in the 21 Area (del mar)...grr, damn NMCI!!!
Old 03-06-2010, 09:04 PM   #12
Notty has much to be proud ofNotty has much to be proud ofNotty has much to be proud ofNotty has much to be proud ofNotty has much to be proud ofNotty has much to be proud ofNotty has much to be proud ofNotty has much to be proud of

Army: 100% Disabled
Notty's Tacoma Gallery
If you all haven't heard of this site or or registered you really should check it out. It is like myspace/facebook for Military members. I have been on it for a while now and re-connected with a ton of old buddies from the Army. There is specific site for Navy, Army, Airforce, Marines, and Coast Guard too.

http://www.togetherweserved.com/
Old 03-06-2010, 09:40 PM   #13
Sooooooper Moderator
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: former TSgt/E6, 3D172, Cyber Transport, NC Air Guard and prior AD
Name: Jamie
jhodge83's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Notty View Post
If you all haven't heard of this site or or registered you really should check it out. It is like myspace/facebook for Military members. I have been on it for a while now and re-connected with a ton of old buddies from the Army. There is specific site for Navy, Army, Airforce, Marines, and Coast Guard too.

all 26 navy medicine site block that before it even gets into the network
Old 03-06-2010, 10:59 PM   #14
The TW 1%
ForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Coast Guard: Chief Petty Officer, ITC
Name: Drunken Sailor
ForeRunner's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MHS2846bg8 View Post
Thumb drives are not supposed to be in DoD computers unless its pertinent to the job...I was the data chief in Iraq for my unit when this order came down...it was because some virus outbreak that happened in EU because of thumbdrives. It sucked cuz it was in the middle of the deployment and for those of you who've been out there on one of the bigger bases, you know about the share drive. lol
If you only knew...

More to it than that.
Old 03-07-2010, 05:18 AM   #15
2kool4school is one of the sharper tools in the shed2kool4school is one of the sharper tools in the shed2kool4school is one of the sharper tools in the shed2kool4school is one of the sharper tools in the shed2kool4school is one of the sharper tools in the shed2kool4school is one of the sharper tools in the shed2kool4school is one of the sharper tools in the shed2kool4school is one of the sharper tools in the shed2kool4school is one of the sharper tools in the shed2kool4school is one of the sharper tools in the shed2kool4school is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: FC1(SW)
Name: Beau
2kool4school's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Notty View Post
yeah if you want to pay for a site for US members that anyone really can join