Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Military

Notices

I know nothing about the military

Old 03-12-2010, 06:48 PM   #21
( . )( . )
Stillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Law Enforcement:
Name: J.D.
Stillfly199's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by C17Guy View Post
Not really, its an option for a lot. Not sure if thats a 6 year contract or not, but they do get to do some really cool ass shit! But I believe their training is right at a year, some tough stuff too!

Intelligence, yea, kinda cut and dry boring, I get briefed by those guys all the time, they are necessary, but def. a lame job!

But if you wanted to be a jet mechanic or something, look at the Flying Crew Chief position, get to work on jets and travel where ever they go.

If your more the action seeker, than yea, infantry sounds great, but I personally always loved how the Air Force treats their people. You should look into Tac P, they pretty much Air Force guys attached to the Army/Marines. They go every where with them, and usually with the guys that first go into hostile areas.
So dont you have to be in the AF for a while in order to become a PJ? Or is it just sign up from the get go and train for the PJ's from day 1?

I feel the same way about the briefings we get during firefighting.

Not really a big mechanic type. I like wrenching on the truck from time to time, but not big on working on engines.

I will deffinatly look into Tac P. Sounds like its an ass kicker
Old 03-12-2010, 06:50 PM   #22
iKill
mgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: SGT (ret.), 0311, 1st Battalion 6th Marines
mgrande's Tacoma Gallery
OP, Marine Corps infantry would be the only way to go. I'd hate to hurt any special ops guys on here, but as far as getting in fights goes, no one does it better. I could talk to you for days about what it's like. Here's a video of my time in afghanistan. You can go to the actual site to make it full screen.

http://www.vimeo.com/3472261
Old 03-12-2010, 06:53 PM   #23
C17Guy is one of the sharper tools in the shedC17Guy is one of the sharper tools in the shedC17Guy is one of the sharper tools in the shedC17Guy is one of the sharper tools in the shedC17Guy is one of the sharper tools in the shedC17Guy is one of the sharper tools in the shedC17Guy is one of the sharper tools in the shedC17Guy is one of the sharper tools in the shedC17Guy is one of the sharper tools in the shedC17Guy is one of the sharper tools in the shedC17Guy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: 1A2 701 AS Charleston AFB, SC
Name: Dennis
C17Guy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillfly199 View Post
So dont you have to be in the AF for a while in order to become a PJ? Or is it just sign up from the get go and train for the PJ's from day 1?

I feel the same way about the briefings we get during firefighting.

Not really a big mechanic type. I like wrenching on the truck from time to time, but not big on working on engines.

I will deffinatly look into Tac P. Sounds like its an ass kicker

Sign up from day one and head out, along with combat controller, and tac p. I think Tac P would be a lot more action pack out of them!

Pretty Cool vid showing what they get to do!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jFXYQG-lxak
Old 03-12-2010, 06:55 PM   #24
C17Guy is one of the sharper tools in the shedC17Guy is one of the sharper tools in the shedC17Guy is one of the sharper tools in the shedC17Guy is one of the sharper tools in the shedC17Guy is one of the sharper tools in the shedC17Guy is one of the sharper tools in the shedC17Guy is one of the sharper tools in the shedC17Guy is one of the sharper tools in the shedC17Guy is one of the sharper tools in the shedC17Guy is one of the sharper tools in the shedC17Guy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

C17Guy's Tacoma Gallery
Not trying to be an Air Force recruiter here, but come on, that is pretty cool!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xO7A...eature=related
Old 03-12-2010, 07:16 PM   #25
( . )( . )
Stillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Law Enforcement:
Thanks everyone for posting the videos. You have all given me a lot to think about.

MGrande, my dad and my grandpa were in the Marine coprs and I know my dad would love me to go with them if I went in. That video is bad ass, love seeing the first hand experiences.
Old 03-12-2010, 07:16 PM   #26
60driver has a brilliant future60driver has a brilliant future60driver has a brilliant future60driver has a brilliant future60driver has a brilliant future60driver has a brilliant future60driver has a brilliant future60driver has a brilliant future60driver has a brilliant future60driver has a brilliant future60driver has a brilliant future

Army: E Co, 1-212th AVN
Name: Sean
60driver's Tacoma Gallery
Do your research and go to the recruiter knowing what you want to do. Dont let them talk you into anything, if they say well try this job for a year or two and then your can switch over, they are most likely wrong. Not speaking from personal experience but i know plenty of people who's regrets started at the recruiter's office. Think about also where you will want to be stationed (the rule of thumb is that the navy and af have far better posts location wise and amenity wise). Dont get caught up in interservice rivalries, choose the one that fits your personality the most and one that you will be most proud to serve with. Dont be afraid to go for SF or the Rangers, you will be surprised with what you can accomplish with hard work. Just dont quit, its that simple. (sorry if it sounds corny, but thats my advice.)
Old 03-12-2010, 07:22 PM   #27
( . )( . )
Law Enforcement:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 60driver View Post
Do your research and go to the recruiter knowing what you want to do. Dont let them talk you into anything, if they say well try this job for a year or two and then your can switch over, they are most likely wrong. Not speaking from personal experience but i know plenty of people who's regrets started at the recruiter's office. Think about also where you will want to be stationed (the rule of thumb is that the navy and af have far better posts location wise and amenity wise). Dont get caught up in interservice rivalries, choose the one that fits your personality the most and one that you will be most proud to serve with. Dont be afraid to go for SF or the Rangers, you will be surprised with what you can accomplish with hard work. Just dont quit, its that simple. (sorry if it sounds corny, but thats my advice.)
I really appreciate the information. I have actually known a couple people that have went in and were told exactly what you said, except they fell for it and ended up hating every second they were in the service. I think one buddy went in to be a pilot and ended up delivering mail or something. But anyways, I know I have a lot of research if I really go through with this. I think I would really like to do something like the PJ's. I know I have a lot of thinking to do
Old 03-12-2010, 07:22 PM   #28
iKill
mgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: SGT (ret.), 0311, 1st Battalion 6th Marines
mgrande's Tacoma Gallery
^X2, A recruiter will say anything to get your signature. Since your in cali you'd be in camp pendleton or 29 palms. PM me if you have any questions about the Marine Corps.
Old 03-12-2010, 07:23 PM   #29
( . )( . )
Law Enforcement:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgrande View Post
^X2, A recruiter will say anything to get your signature. Since your in cali you'd be in camp pendleton or 29 palms. PM me if you have any questions about the Marine Corps.
Thanks man, I will for sure when I start looking into this more. I really appreciate it.
Old 03-13-2010, 06:32 AM   #30
too many clowns, not enough circuses.
daftcon is one of the sharper tools in the sheddaftcon is one of the sharper tools in the sheddaftcon is one of the sharper tools in the sheddaftcon is one of the sharper tools in the sheddaftcon is one of the sharper tools in the sheddaftcon is one of the sharper tools in the sheddaftcon is one of the sharper tools in the sheddaftcon is one of the sharper tools in the sheddaftcon is one of the sharper tools in the sheddaftcon is one of the sharper tools in the sheddaftcon is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
Name: François Dillinger
daftcon's Tacoma Gallery
differences between PJ, combat control, and TACP are many.

TACP guys are basically attached to the army once theyre training is all completed. they live on army bases and deploy strictly with the army.

PJ and combat control are quite possibly the longest schools/ training in the entire military. about 2.5 years from start to completion. they start off doing just about the same training and about a year into the schools, they really break away from eachother.

combat control focuses on setup of airfields in austere environments, air traffic control into those airfields, and alot of demolition.

PJ obviously more along the lines of rescuing downed aircrew and other personnel.

theyre all great jobs. youll never find one of these guys that doesnt thoroughly love what he does.
Old 03-13-2010, 06:35 AM   #31
too many clowns, not enough circuses.
daftcon is one of the sharper tools in the sheddaftcon is one of the sharper tools in the sheddaftcon is one of the sharper tools in the sheddaftcon is one of the sharper tools in the sheddaftcon is one of the sharper tools in the sheddaftcon is one of the sharper tools in the sheddaftcon is one of the sharper tools in the sheddaftcon is one of the sharper tools in the sheddaftcon is one of the sharper tools in the sheddaftcon is one of the sharper tools in the sheddaftcon is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
Name: François Dillinger
daftcon's Tacoma Gallery
and as far as my "old ass" C-130's, its airplanes like this that paved the way for your glorious C-17 to showboat all over these vacation areas of the world. so your welcome!! =)

and if it sounds like i'm hating because im stuck flying to pope every month, well thats because i am!!
Old 03-13-2010, 08:36 PM   #32
Motivator
YayAreaTaco0311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYayAreaTaco0311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYayAreaTaco0311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYayAreaTaco0311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYayAreaTaco0311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYayAreaTaco0311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYayAreaTaco0311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYayAreaTaco0311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYayAreaTaco0311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYayAreaTaco0311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYayAreaTaco0311 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: Police Caller
YayAreaTaco0311's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dylandercole View Post
If you really want to get into infantry you can from my experience. Im nto in the services but I had three buddies jsut sign up (2 are in bootcamp 1 is at pendleton) and they all got into infantry.
ooh muthafukin rah!
Old 03-13-2010, 08:43 PM   #33
Stayed Up Too Late
Untamed_SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedUntamed_SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedUntamed_SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedUntamed_SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedUntamed_SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedUntamed_SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedUntamed_SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedUntamed_SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedUntamed_SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedUntamed_SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedUntamed_SS is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: 0311-Bravo 1/23 4th Mar. Div. Reserves
Name: Adam
Untamed_SS's Tacoma Gallery
+1 more for Marines. I'm a reservist, but I still do my shit. Its actually drill weekend for me.

Great brotherhood to be a part of.
Old 03-14-2010, 11:14 AM   #34

C17Guy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by daftcon View Post
and as far as my "old ass" C-130's, its airplanes like this that paved the way for your glorious C-17 to showboat all over these vacation areas of the world. so your welcome!! =)

and if it sounds like i'm hating because im stuck flying to pope every month, well thats because i am!!

ha ha! all with love brotha

C130 is a great aircraft and has held up very very nice! And the new J's are pretty sweet (mini c17 of course!) Time to x-train to a load!
Old 03-14-2010, 11:32 AM   #35
BakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Herbie Hancock
BakoTruck's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
My background and reasoning if you want to read:
I have been thinking about the Military a lot lately if things dont work out with my career choice. I am waiting to get into the California Highway Patrol academy and it seems like they are really starting to dick me around. Long story short, my mom works for them, they told me they were going to push me through, my background investigator doesnt give me info, and they keep lying to me. So anyways, I really am not counting on it to come through. Right now I am a seasonal firefighter for CAL FIRE and I dont see myself doing it as a career. Which brings me to the military.
Yeah It's very sad, a lot of people are trying to get into an agency. I hope our economy picks up again and does it fast. My local PD has a block on all new entries and everyone that was in the academy.
Old 03-14-2010, 11:53 AM   #36
RogueLeader has a brilliant futureRogueLeader has a brilliant futureRogueLeader has a brilliant futureRogueLeader has a brilliant futureRogueLeader has a brilliant futureRogueLeader has a brilliant futureRogueLeader has a brilliant futureRogueLeader has a brilliant futureRogueLeader has a brilliant futureRogueLeader has a brilliant futureRogueLeader has a brilliant future

Air Force: Aircraft Armament Tech
Name: Rod
RogueLeader's Tacoma Gallery
If you want to continue firefighting, the military has 'em. The Air Force firefighters are not only trained on structural fires, but aircraft fires as well, with aircraft fires being the main focus. If you want police experience, all branches also have their own military police forces. The Air Force at one time had two branches of security police. One side was security, guarding the flightline, etc. The other was law enforcement, which acted like civilian police on base. The L.E. side, as well as the security side had shared duty with gate guard duty.
Old 03-14-2010, 01:40 PM   #37
( . )( . )
Law Enforcement:
So I was actually thinking about something like M.P., what all do they do? Patrol on base and gate duty?
Old 03-14-2010, 01:50 PM   #38
Nothin
krimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shed
krimson's Tacoma Gallery
You could go in the National Guard and become a M.P.
Old 03-14-2010, 01:57 PM   #39
Nothin
krimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shed
krimson's Tacoma Gallery
Another thing is whenever you go talk to a recruiter, he will give you a booklet with a list of jobs you are interested in and he will help you with what you would need to do. If you want to become a Ranger in the Army you would need to make a 50 or better on the ASVAB, but if you dont make that high enough score the first time you could always retake the ASVAB when you are in the Army. Todays economy its a really good idea to become a soldier, i wish you luck with whatever plans you have.
Old 03-14-2010, 01:59 PM   #40
nelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Ex-Cone
nelson18matt's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I understand what you are saying 100% I just am not into the whole computer thing so I dont think I would like the intelligence type. I am more of a hands on. How long does it take to get into something like the PJ's? I got a buddy who is looking into it and thinks he will become one and get out in 4 years. I think thats a little far fetched, am I wrong?
if you have any questions about the pararescue career field shoot me a PM. i graduated indoc and was in the pipeline for about 14 months until a shoulder injury caused me to no longer be able to continue training.