1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Gay's in the Military, What the troops think about Civilians making that decision.

Discussion in 'Military' started by battleyota, Mar 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mar 15, 2010 at 11:32 AM
    Trigger

Trigger Well-Known Member

Member:
    The military is one Big Green Machine. No matter what branch you are part of it is a brotherhood. Everything has gone smooth with the "dont ask dont tell policy". Why change it?

2. Mar 15, 2010 at 11:33 AM
    solus

solus HOME!!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Bremerton, WA
    Vehicle:
    RR 4wd SR5
    well may your career be short...

3. Mar 15, 2010 at 1:00 PM
    TheMaster

TheMaster Born to Ride

Member:
    First Name:
    Chicky Baby
    NY
    Vehicle:
    2007 DC TRD Sport
    Bug shield, window visors, skid plate, rust proofing, tonneau cover, paint & upholstery protection, side step bars, navigation system.
  4. Mar 15, 2010 at 1:13 PM
    battleyota

battleyota [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Oahu, HI
    Vehicle:
    Beast of Destruction
    OME suspension, All-Pro UCA, rear locker, 4.56 gears front and rear diffs, rear dif locker, 32x11.5 BF Goodrich Mud Terrians KM2, 15x8 Mickey Thompson classic lock, ARB bumper, K&N Air filter. Safari Snorkel.
    Will do, Ok Gents lets have a mature reasonable debate/argument here. I love how everyone has different views and opions, It what defently makes America unique.

5. Mar 15, 2010 at 1:14 PM
    cakmakli

cakmakli Finally made it - U.S. Army Retired

Member:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Sport
    When I was young it used to bother me but then I asked myself one day, "What am I afraid of?" Seriously, if you are not interested in them they are not interested in you. I have three friends that are gay but you wouldn't know it unless they told you. I wouldn't have a problem with any one of them serving.

Also, I don't think there would be too many problems to let them serve openly. And if they do, what are you going to do about it? I'll tell you what, nothing.

Once they start throwing out Article 15's and slamming NCO's and Officers on their evaluations for not supporting EO then then things will settle down and everyone will wonder what the fuse was over.

6. Mar 15, 2010 at 1:26 PM
    Mark C.

Mark C. If you want it bad, you usually get it bad!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Connecticut
    Vehicle:
    2010 MGM SR5 4WD AC
    LED Dome, Reed Switched LEDs in Glove Box and Center Console, Bumper Fogs, Tailgate anti-theft, LEDs over Cig lighter, Back-up camera anytime, Outside Temp add-on, Hidden GPS power, Sockmonkey 3rd Brakelight decal, 4X4 switch illumination, reed switch controlled engine compartment Flood LEDs, Elite Hitch Cover, Plasti-dipped cupholders and door switch control panels, Elite Hitch Cover.
    In the 30+ years I spent in the Navy, I was never approached by, harrassed by, solicited by, or otherwise by anyone seeking same sex action. I knew some who I thought were gay, but it was none of my business, and they were professionals. I would gladly go to see with them again.
    I will bet most of you who served for greater than 8-10 years, that you served standing next to a soldier, sailor, marine, coastie, or airman who was gay and you didn't even realize it.

7. Mar 15, 2010 at 1:31 PM
    C17Guy

C17Guy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dennis
    Charleston, SC/ Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    09 SR5 Access Cab 5 Lugger
    Readylift Kit, 245/75/16, HID's, Debadged, Kenwood DNX9960 Double Din Navigation, Image Dynamics Door Components, Pioneer Amp, Dynomax Super Turbo Muffler, Grillcraft Uppers and Lowers

But that's the point, they didn't realize. Do away with the standing policy, and put it completely open will have an effect on soldiers. Guaranteed.

Don't get me wrong guys, I personally don't have a problem with it. Hell, my ex-gf had two gay roommates and I stayed many nights over there hanging out with them all. But the harshness of reality says that not everyone has the same attitude. And doing anything to effect the combat effectiveness of a group of soldiers is wrong, point blank. In time however, once its no longer out of the elements of the social norm, it'll come around.

8. Mar 15, 2010 at 1:38 PM
    asphaltpilot

asphaltpilot CAPS CAPS CAPS!

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    South Florida
    Vehicle:
    PreRunner SR5
    We had a boot come in to our platoon (infantry unit) and it was found out that he was gay. It didn't matter. He was cool and was there to do his duty and serve. He didn't portray the stereotype and it was never mentioned. I am MUCH more concerned about females joining the submarine fleet and combat units than the gay thing. Here's why....

There are some women who would be able to perform on par with their male counterparts, and some better than their male counterparts, but that number is few. The amount of time, attention, and money that would be thrown into a program to find the Vesquez's of the world (see: Aliens) wouldn't be very fruitful. How many millions it's going to take to alter submarines to allow the 3 women who actually want to serve on a sub do so?

It is bad enough to see male POW's on TV and hear the horror stories of their captivity. The blatant misery that our women POW's would endure would be too much for the American public. We, as a whole, would not and could not stand the thought of our service women being raped by scores of men while they're being held and then touted all over the news.

Lastly, the reason why I wouldn't want women in my infantry unit is because of camaraderie and discipline. Women don't want to hear it, but it's a simple fact that we, men, operate better as a fraternity.....a brotherhood. Cohesion, morale, and discipline are improved when there aren't any mammaries around to fuck up our radar.

If they want to make an all female company/battalion/regiment, have at it.

I don't know if there's actually written policy about it or not. I have read on sites like military.com that there have been voluntary and involuntary command changes with the Army based on this women-integrated philosophy. I've also read thing here and there written by field-grade officers in all branches on the topic, but again, I don't know if it's part of policy or manual somewhere.

I also want to note that there are men that can't or shouldn't make it in the infantry. There are some male pantie-wastes out there that have no business on the front lines or on a sub/ship.

Again, ladies, I'm not saying some women couldn't do the job well, but when you stick a couple chicks with 200 men in very, very tight quarters for very long periods of time, everybody's radar gets jammed. There are reasons all-male or all-female schools have much better academic results than those of co-ed schools. Same reason.

9. Mar 15, 2010 at 1:39 PM
    battleyota

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Oahu, HI
    Vehicle:
    Beast of Destruction
    OME suspension, All-Pro UCA, rear locker, 4.56 gears front and rear diffs, rear dif locker, 32x11.5 BF Goodrich Mud Terrians KM2, 15x8 Mickey Thompson classic lock, ARB bumper, K&N Air filter. Safari Snorkel.
    I believe they should slowly intergrate gays in...cause it does play a big phycological effect on sailors/airmen/marines/soldiers and cant forget the coast guard, And i think the Higher ups relize this and are trying to act upon it...I have a feeling that its going to happen if we like it or not.....but that is just one of the many ideas out there

10. Mar 15, 2010 at 1:40 PM
    Mark C.

Mark C. If you want it bad, you usually get it bad!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Connecticut
    Vehicle:
    2010 MGM SR5 4WD AC
    LED Dome, Reed Switched LEDs in Glove Box and Center Console, Bumper Fogs, Tailgate anti-theft, LEDs over Cig lighter, Back-up camera anytime, Outside Temp add-on, Hidden GPS power, Sockmonkey 3rd Brakelight decal, 4X4 switch illumination, reed switch controlled engine compartment Flood LEDs, Elite Hitch Cover, Plasti-dipped cupholders and door switch control panels, Elite Hitch Cover.
    Sorry....I should have, but didn't add that what is there now is known and works for those serving. You are right, C17....just leave it alone!

11. Mar 15, 2010 at 1:44 PM
    battleyota

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Oahu, HI
    Vehicle:
    Beast of Destruction
    An Intelligent Marine??? Is that what you consider an oxymoron?? haha Just messin with ya...but a very valid point on the females.

12. Mar 15, 2010 at 1:47 PM
    toyotadude5

toyotadude5 Breazeale- Pronounced Brazil

Member:
    First Name:
    chris
    Flagstaff, az
    Vehicle:
    2006 Subaru wrx sti (white)
    gays in the military=Not right

Gays in general=Not right

13. Mar 15, 2010 at 1:56 PM
    danb86

danb86 East Ender

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Long Island, NY
    Vehicle:
    2010 I4 Access Cab 4x4
    Hey, amigo, let's get some sentences going here. Capitals, periods, comas - I'll let you slide on the spelling.

Back on topic:

What I'm looking for in members of the military is to do their job, not have an opinion. They're there to "serve and protect"; it's not an "all boys club" with "tea-bagging" and "farting in each other's faces and shit like that".

Some gay guy/gal wants to serve their country and potentially put their lives on the line to do it, no one should be able to say otherwise.

After all, freedom of choice is one of the freedoms we're all fighting for.

14. Mar 15, 2010 at 2:03 PM
    dbarn

dbarn Well-Known Member

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma 4X4 V6
    Why is it gays like to compare discrimination to issues of race? People can not choose their color, but can choose their sexual orientation. It's a learned thing or something that can be changed. Why should preferential treatment be given to something that can be changed or a behavior that can be modified? If gays are allowed in and do admit their sexual orientation then they should be given separate living quarters for the same reasons we have seperate quarters for men and women. This should be priority one.

15. Mar 15, 2010 at 2:08 PM
    battleyota

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Oahu, HI
    Vehicle:
    Beast of Destruction
    Hate to break it to you, haha, but that shit happens all the time especially in combat arms...its hard to explain why and the reason behind doing it unless you were there. You get a bunch of guys together and stupid shit will happen...but play time is play time and work is work...the chain of command will keep it in check but you have to blow off some steam and doing stupid shit is just one of the ways to keep your morale up, and drive on during rough times.

16. Mar 15, 2010 at 2:19 PM
    C17Guy

C17Guy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dennis
    Charleston, SC/ Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    09 SR5 Access Cab 5 Lugger
    Readylift Kit, 245/75/16, HID's, Debadged, Kenwood DNX9960 Double Din Navigation, Image Dynamics Door Components, Pioneer Amp, Dynomax Super Turbo Muffler, Grillcraft Uppers and Lowers
    I respect your opinion, but how can you ask someone to go out there, put their life on the line depending on the guy next to them if they have any doubt about that person? Yea, they volunteered, but that's still their life on the line. In the combat zone, its all about the buddy system. Granted I'm not a ground pounder, but you better believe when shells are flying in your airfield or your being shot at your thinking a) am i gonna live and b) is the guy next to me gonna live.

Like I posted earlier, there's no way to stop a homosexual from joining, as long as they are not open about it. It's easy to say sitting in the US or where ever that the guy in the desert running through urban combat zones getting shot at should get over his homophobic tendencies and just be "normal". It just doesn't happen man. It takes a certain person to do that job and it just happens that in today's time, we as a society or military have not reached that point.

17. Mar 15, 2010 at 2:31 PM
    NicksRig

NicksRig Well-Known Member

Member:
    Kenora, Ontario
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma DC TRD Sport
    Blacked out Skid plate, block heater, bug deflector, blacked out headlights, tinted fronts, OME 3" lift, Toytec AAL, Revenge-Fab Sliders, K&N Air Filter

Come on dude!.. You seem like a smart guy, but that comment makes you look as dumb as Trigger. Feeling that Gays are not right WTF? Are you kidding me? I can't believe some of the ignorance in this thread and it appears to be the younger guys. WHO GIVES A FUCK, its got nothing to do with you. Second of all why do you guys even join the army? To protect your country? (Cause you protecting Gays:eek:) Helping people in other countries? (Probably Gays there too:eek:)

If I was some of you older Military guys I would be embarrassed by some of these younger guys. Think its time to EDUCATE some folks! Or a slap on the back of the head.

This Thread should be locked!

18. Mar 15, 2010 at 2:35 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    It was...but it's worth discussing. It is kinda dissappointing to see the general attitude folks have towards working along side gays. But they are just as entitled to their opinion.

19. Mar 15, 2010 at 2:38 PM
    danb86

danb86 East Ender

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Long Island, NY
    Vehicle:
    2010 I4 Access Cab 4x4
    I don't really mind what kind of "shit like that" guys do to blow off steam. I'm a "guy", too (married) and I do stupid shit with my buddies all the time.

The military is not some sacred place reserved just for people who all think the same: the US military is a place where men/women are called upon to defend the freedoms that make it worth while being an American.

As unsavory as some might find it, those freedoms include being gay. If you don't like that, well...

It took a long time for African Americans to be allowed to serve alongside their "fellow Americans". Were/are they less able?

As for guys being distracted by "mammaries", how pathetic. If you're not mature enough to keep your focus on your mission, you don't belong in the military in the first place, you belong back in High School where you can work that shit out.

This isn't a game, it's not a club, it's not a job.

It's a calling to serve your country and do what's right. If you're standing there pointing a gun at someone and all you can think about are "tah-tahs" or getting buggered, you belong somewhere else.

20. Mar 15, 2010 at 2:40 PM
    battleyota

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Oahu, HI
    Vehicle:
    Beast of Destruction
    Funny you should say that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Products Discussed in

To Top