1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Ermey Speaks His Mind on Corps Issues

Discussion in 'Military' started by Agent475, Mar 17, 2010.

1. Mar 17, 2010 at 9:16 AM
    Agent475

Agent475 [OP] "Mark It Zero"

Member:
    Waldorf, MD
    Vehicle:
    2006 Red TRD Sport
    Hood Struts, 3" Tuff Country Lift, Shortie Antenna, WeatherTechs, Tinted front windows, custom TRD seat covers, custom pedals, debadged, custom USMC badging, quasi-functional hoodscoop (i.e. I cut it open), black front Yota emblem, Tailgate Theft-Prevention mod, Horn Relocation mod, Old Man Emu Carrier Bearing Drop, Brighter Backup Lights Mod, Smittybilt Reciever Hitch Tow Point, currently working on Satoshi Grill Mod
    Source: http://militarytimes.com/news/2010/03/marine_ermey_031410w/

Article:
    By James K. Sanborn - Staff writer
    Posted : Tuesday Mar 16, 2010 8:58:09 EDT

R. Lee Ermey made his reputation using words and expletives as blunt-force instruments as a drill instructor in the iconic movie “Full Metal Jacket.”

And 23 years after the movie’s release, the retired gunnery sergeant is still not mincing words in mounting a fight to change the name of the 212-year-old Navy Department to the “Department of the Navy and Marine Corps.”

In Washington to beat the war drum for that cause alongside members of the Marine Corps League and Rep. Walter B. Jones, R-N.C., “The Gunny” laid out in plain talk why the Corps deserves equal billing with the Navy. And in an exclusive interview, he also spat out his views on gays serving openly, tattoos, rules of engagement and more.

[​IMG]
    Q. You are an avid supporter of House Resolution 24, which calls for renaming the Navy Department to include a reference to the Marine Corps. Why is this important to you?

A. When we die, when mama and dada get that letter of condolence, it would be kind of nice if the Marine Corps was mentioned. Just change the letterhead. What’s the harm in that?

Q. What about those who object on the grounds that doing so will be too expensive?
    A. Just go ahead and use up whatever [stationery] you’ve already got — then buy more with the “Marine Corps” on it.
    Here we are spending trillions of G-- damn dollars on health care, but when you want to change letterhead on a piece of paper, they get all uppity about how much it is going to cost.
    These young men and women are fighting and losing their lives for this country. We aren’t asking for our own department. We are reasonable people. We are just asking for an honorable mention.

Q. What are your thoughts on the “don’t ask, don’t tell” policy and recent efforts to end the ban on open service by gays and lesbians?
    A. I don’t have a problem with “don’t ask, don’t tell.” It works. Now all of a sudden, this illustrious leader of America decided he wants to put openly gay people in the military. But where are they going to live and take showers, and which bathrooms are they going to use?

I liken it to putting me in the woman Marine barracks. I would have a great time, but I don’t think they would like it very much.
    If I’m taking a shower in an open shower bay, the last thing I want is some guy looking at me having sexual fantasies.
    I think everybody in this country should have equal rights, but I don’t think we should infringe on someone else’s to give another person more.

There is no problem serving alongside [gays] in combat.
    I’ve never had a problem with that. The only problems I see are social.

Q. You served in Vietnam. What do you think about the rules of engagement today in Afghanistan?
    A. We lost Vietnam because a bunch of people in Congress who had never been in the military or never experienced war were calling the shots.

In Vietnam, we couldn’t fire our rifles unless we were fired upon. That seems like chicken s--- because you might not get your turn.

Under this administration, after a firefight, it seems like we just about have to put up yellow tape, conduct forensics and collect shell casings like a crime scene.

It’s gotten to the point where a young man is afraid to shoot his rifle in self-defense because he might be brought up on murder charges. I think we should be above that. We should have amnesty. Higher-ups in Washington have amnesty. How about the poor warrior in the field just trying to do his job?

Q. The Marine Corps recently passed more stringent tattoo regulations. Any thoughts?
    A. I think it’s ridiculous, totally ridiculous — borderline silly.
    I challenge anybody who is making these decisions to prove to me that a Marine, because he has tattoos, is unable to fight.

Q. Some Marine leaders make the argument that these regs strive to maintain professional appearance.
    A. Samurai warriors had tattoos, and they seemed to be pretty honorable people.
    I’ve got three tattoos on my forearm. They’ve been there for 100 years, and I’ve never noticed them hindering me. For sailors and Marines, they are a log of where you have been.

Q. Some people might like to see you run for office. Do you have any political ambitions?
    A. No. This old man has too many skeletons in the closet. I frequented a few too many whorehouses, tattoo parlors and places of ill repute in my time. Boy, could they have a ball with me, digging up bones.
    I’ll just keep doing what I do and get involved if I see there is a need.

2. Mar 17, 2010 at 9:19 AM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    Nice! I like that guy!

3. Mar 17, 2010 at 10:05 AM
    RCBS

RCBS How long you willing to tolerate this crap??

Member:
    Harden your bark, there are storms on the horizon.
    Vehicle:
    Goodbye 06, Hello 21. TRDORDCSBMT
    Tornado intake, Duralube, Fartcan.
    OOHH RAH! Ermey is the man!

4. Mar 17, 2010 at 10:10 AM
    Taco76087

Taco76087 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Weatherford,Texas
    Vehicle:
    04 Tacoma prerunner TRD SR5
    Rockford Fosgate p2 10'', Q-Logic Enclosure, JVC KD-PDR30 Ipod Connection, Rockford p200.2 Amp, Clear Corners, KING Coilovers, Rancho Rear shocks FJ TRD Trail Teams Wheels with 285/75/16 Duratracs
    He is really a cool guy, my dad had a chance to sit and talk to him while he was on base, for something, They just talked Corps stuff, and shot the sh:t. :D I would love to meet him.

5. Mar 17, 2010 at 10:11 AM
    TacoNut

TacoNut IgnoringChrisWatchingEdLi veVicariouslyThroughMJP2

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Denver, Co
    Vehicle:
    16 TRD OR DCSB Quicksand
    Very nice post.....

Love the Gunny

6. Mar 17, 2010 at 10:14 AM
    battleyota

battleyota Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Oahu, HI
    Vehicle:
    Beast of Destruction
    OME suspension, All-Pro UCA, rear locker, 4.56 gears front and rear diffs, rear dif locker, 32x11.5 BF Goodrich Mud Terrians KM2, 15x8 Mickey Thompson classic lock, ARB bumper, K&N Air filter. Safari Snorkel.
    That guy is awsome....A buddy of mine was comming back from a mission up in Mosul, when they were ordered to conduct a hasty LZ, they did, A black hawk landed, and out jumps Ermey, he went around and shook each soldiers hand and thanked him, then jumped back on and off he went....real cool guy. would have made A fucking hell of a general.

7. Mar 17, 2010 at 10:17 AM
    nelson18matt

nelson18matt Well-Known Member

Member:
    Goodyear, Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2004 Long Travel Tacoma
    *SOLD*
    "I frequented a few too many whorehouses, tattoo parlors and places of ill repute in my time."

haha, he's such a badass

8. Mar 17, 2010 at 10:25 AM
    solus

solus HOME!!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Bremerton, WA
    Vehicle:
    RR 4wd SR5
    nice

9. Mar 17, 2010 at 10:27 AM
    AzogSS

AzogSS Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    Soda City, SC
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tacoma / 2011 FJC
    Amen!

10. Mar 17, 2010 at 10:08 PM
    YayAreaTaco0311

YayAreaTaco0311 Motivator

Member:
    California
    Vehicle:
    '09 TRD 4x4 O/R Supercharged
    OEM TRD supercharger, OEM wheels painted black by me, yellow sidemarkers, arb bumper, LED interiors, roll-n-lock, 5% rear windows, mudflaps removed, protector alarm, mobile trace, blacked out front Toyota emblem, debadged, & tree air freshener.
    Read this in the Marine Times.

Kill bodies Gunny!

11. Mar 17, 2010 at 10:25 PM
    NAYo2002

NAYo2002 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Great Falls, MT
    Vehicle:
    '09 Tacoma 4x4 TRD Off Road
    Michelin LTX A/T2, TRD Skid Plate, WeatherTech DigiFit Liners, OEM Bed Extender, OEM Bed mat, Advantage TorzaTop Trifold Tonneau, Pop & Lock PL5300
    Did you actually read the article?

12. Mar 17, 2010 at 10:47 PM
    Carlo

Carlo Well-Known Member

Member:
    CA
    Vehicle:
    2010 Taco Magnetic Grey
    5100's all around, front at 0 with Ebiach springs up front; Wheelers 3 leaf AAL rear, Spidertrax
    I had the honor of shooting the Califorina State Service Rifle Championships with him last year. He is a good dude, and just wants to be one of the guys. One of his close friends who was shooting with us asked everyone to just leave him alone and not chat him up too much. Ermey wants to be just one of the guys at the match. Everyone respected him and let him shoot the matches. At the end of the day Ermey goes around and shakes everyone's hand and says hi.
    I got to BS with him a little one day at another rifle match, and what I can take away from an old Marine like him after that chat and this article is this: We in this country are so dam afraid to offend anyone, that we aint getting the job done the way it should be. And, it's gonna get Marines and Soldiers killed. Unsat.

13. Mar 17, 2010 at 10:52 PM
    awoit

awoit Well-Known Member

Member:
    CA
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD, SR5
    I support everything this guy has to say

14. Mar 17, 2010 at 10:52 PM
    steve o 77

steve o 77 braaap

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    In a corn field, OH
    Vehicle:
    1990 Chevy Siveraydo
    245k+ miles, rust, working AC, bald eagles
    I've thought he was awesome ever since I first saw him explode a watermelon on Mail Call. This just ups the awesomeness. lol

15. Mar 18, 2010 at 5:35 AM
    Trigger

Trigger Well-Known Member

Member:
    I love this guy!:D

16. Mar 18, 2010 at 5:47 AM
    tacomakid89

tacomakid89 Awesome Member

Member:
    First Name:
    William
    Austin, Texas
    Vehicle:
    2010 Black, 4x4, TRD Sport Tacoma
    Hard Wired GPS, Scan Guage II, URD Short Throw Shifter, AFE Pro Dry S Air Filter, LED Mag Lite on seat side,Tailgate Theft Prevention Mod, Removed Front License Plate, Tint Cover Over Rear License Plate, Removed Secondary Air Filter, 13" Shorty Antenna, 5% Tint Rear, 20% Tint Front, Bed Extender, TRD Cat Back Exhaust, Fog Light On Anytime Mod, Dual Halo Projection Headlights, Disabled Seatbelt Chime, King coilovers with remote resi in front, Kings with remote resi in rear, Deaver J66 leaf packs, TC UCAs up front.
    That guy is the man. I once got to meet him and talk to him at a dinner out in Cuba. It was for the Marine Corps Ball. He's pretty much a bad ass.

Products Discussed in

To Top