Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Military

Notices

Ermey Speaks His Mind on Corps Issues

Old 03-17-2010, 10:16 AM   #1
"Mark It Zero"
Agent475 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent475 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent475 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent475 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent475 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent475 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent475 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent475 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent475 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent475 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent475 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: Sergeant, 0261
Agent475's Tacoma Gallery
Ermey Speaks His Mind on Corps Issues

Source: http://militarytimes.com/news/2010/0...ermey_031410w/

Article:
By James K. Sanborn - Staff writer
Posted : Tuesday Mar 16, 2010 8:58:09 EDT

R. Lee Ermey made his reputation using words and expletives as blunt-force instruments as a drill instructor in the iconic movie “Full Metal Jacket.”

And 23 years after the movie’s release, the retired gunnery sergeant is still not mincing words in mounting a fight to change the name of the 212-year-old Navy Department to the “Department of the Navy and Marine Corps.”

In Washington to beat the war drum for that cause alongside members of the Marine Corps League and Rep. Walter B. Jones, R-N.C., “The Gunny” laid out in plain talk why the Corps deserves equal billing with the Navy. And in an exclusive interview, he also spat out his views on gays serving openly, tattoos, rules of engagement and more.

Q. You are an avid supporter of House Resolution 24, which calls for renaming the Navy Department to include a reference to the Marine Corps. Why is this important to you?

A. When we die, when mama and dada get that letter of condolence, it would be kind of nice if the Marine Corps was mentioned. Just change the letterhead. What’s the harm in that?

Q. What about those who object on the grounds that doing so will be too expensive?
A. Just go ahead and use up whatever [stationery] you’ve already got — then buy more with the “Marine Corps” on it.
Here we are spending trillions of G-- damn dollars on health care, but when you want to change letterhead on a piece of paper, they get all uppity about how much it is going to cost.
These young men and women are fighting and losing their lives for this country. We aren’t asking for our own department. We are reasonable people. We are just asking for an honorable mention.

Q. What are your thoughts on the “don’t ask, don’t tell” policy and recent efforts to end the ban on open service by gays and lesbians?
A. I don’t have a problem with “don’t ask, don’t tell.” It works. Now all of a sudden, this illustrious leader of America decided he wants to put openly gay people in the military. But where are they going to live and take showers, and which bathrooms are they going to use?

I liken it to putting me in the woman Marine barracks. I would have a great time, but I don’t think they would like it very much.
If I’m taking a shower in an open shower bay, the last thing I want is some guy looking at me having sexual fantasies.
I think everybody in this country should have equal rights, but I don’t think we should infringe on someone else’s to give another person more.

There is no problem serving alongside [gays] in combat.
I’ve never had a problem with that. The only problems I see are social.

Q. You served in Vietnam. What do you think about the rules of engagement today in Afghanistan?
A. We lost Vietnam because a bunch of people in Congress who had never been in the military or never experienced war were calling the shots.

In Vietnam, we couldn’t fire our rifles unless we were fired upon. That seems like chicken s--- because you might not get your turn.

Under this administration, after a firefight, it seems like we just about have to put up yellow tape, conduct forensics and collect shell casings like a crime scene.

It’s gotten to the point where a young man is afraid to shoot his rifle in self-defense because he might be brought up on murder charges. I think we should be above that. We should have amnesty. Higher-ups in Washington have amnesty. How about the poor warrior in the field just trying to do his job?

Q. The Marine Corps recently passed more stringent tattoo regulations. Any thoughts?
A. I think it’s ridiculous, totally ridiculous — borderline silly.
I challenge anybody who is making these decisions to prove to me that a Marine, because he has tattoos, is unable to fight.

Q. Some Marine leaders make the argument that these regs strive to maintain professional appearance.
A. Samurai warriors had tattoos, and they seemed to be pretty honorable people.
I’ve got three tattoos on my forearm. They’ve been there for 100 years, and I’ve never noticed them hindering me. For sailors and Marines, they are a log of where you have been.

Q. Some people might like to see you run for office. Do you have any political ambitions?
A. No. This old man has too many skeletons in the closet. I frequented a few too many whorehouses, tattoo parlors and places of ill repute in my time. Boy, could they have a ball with me, digging up bones.
I’ll just keep doing what I do and get involved if I see there is a need.
Old 03-17-2010, 10:19 AM   #2
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Nice! I like that guy!
Old 03-17-2010, 11:05 AM   #3
Mr Thundermaker is about to start barking fire!
RCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shed

RCBS's Tacoma Gallery
OOHH RAH! Ermey is the man!
Old 03-17-2010, 11:10 AM   #4
Taco76087 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco76087 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco76087 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco76087 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco76087 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco76087 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco76087 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco76087 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco76087 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco76087 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco76087 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Robert
Taco76087's Tacoma Gallery
He is really a cool guy, my dad had a chance to sit and talk to him while he was on base, for something, They just talked Corps stuff, and shot the sh:t. I would love to meet him.
Old 03-17-2010, 11:11 AM   #5
IgnoringChrisWatchingEdLi veVicariouslyThroughMJP2
TacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
TacoNut's Tacoma Gallery
Very nice post.....

Love the Gunny
Old 03-17-2010, 11:14 AM   #6
battleyota has a brilliant futurebattleyota has a brilliant futurebattleyota has a brilliant futurebattleyota has a brilliant futurebattleyota has a brilliant futurebattleyota has a brilliant futurebattleyota has a brilliant futurebattleyota has a brilliant futurebattleyota has a brilliant futurebattleyota has a brilliant futurebattleyota has a brilliant future

Army: 11 Bang Bang Squad leader, 25th ID, with 4 vacations to the exotic lands of the middle east.
Name: David
battleyota's Tacoma Gallery
That guy is awsome....A buddy of mine was comming back from a mission up in Mosul, when they were ordered to conduct a hasty LZ, they did, A black hawk landed, and out jumps Ermey, he went around and shook each soldiers hand and thanked him, then jumped back on and off he went....real cool guy. would have made A fucking hell of a general.
Old 03-17-2010, 11:17 AM   #7
nelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Ex-Cone
nelson18matt's Tacoma Gallery
"I frequented a few too many whorehouses, tattoo parlors and places of ill repute in my time."

haha, he's such a badass
Old 03-17-2010, 11:25 AM   #8
HOME!!!
solus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: LT, USN
Name: Mark
solus's Tacoma Gallery
nice
Old 03-17-2010, 11:27 AM   #9
AzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Govenor's Twenty, Mobilization Trainer, Squad Designated Marksman, Flight Operations
Name: Andy
AzogSS's Tacoma Gallery
Amen!
Old 03-17-2010, 11:25 PM   #11
NAYo2002 has a brilliant futureNAYo2002 has a brilliant futureNAYo2002 has a brilliant futureNAYo2002 has a brilliant futureNAYo2002 has a brilliant futureNAYo2002 has a brilliant futureNAYo2002 has a brilliant futureNAYo2002 has a brilliant futureNAYo2002 has a brilliant futureNAYo2002 has a brilliant futureNAYo2002 has a brilliant future

Air Force: 12th Missile Sq
NAYo2002's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trigger View Post
I wish they would've asked him about the "Gays in the Military" thing. Lol.
I know for damn sure what his answer would be.
I love that guy!
Did you actually read the article?
Old 03-17-2010, 11:47 PM   #12
Carlo has much to be proud ofCarlo has much to be proud ofCarlo has much to be proud ofCarlo has much to be proud ofCarlo has much to be proud ofCarlo has much to be proud ofCarlo has much to be proud ofCarlo has much to be proud ofCarlo has much to be proud of
Army:
Carlo's Tacoma Gallery
I had the honor of shooting the Califorina State Service Rifle Championships with him last year. He is a good dude, and just wants to be one of the guys. One of his close friends who was shooting with us asked everyone to just leave him alone and not chat him up too much. Ermey wants to be just one of the guys at the match. Everyone respected him and let him shoot the matches. At the end of the day Ermey goes around and shakes everyone's hand and says hi.
I got to BS with him a little one day at another rifle match, and what I can take away from an old Marine like him after that chat and this article is this: We in this country are so dam afraid to offend anyone, that we aint getting the job done the way it should be. And, it's gonna get Marines and Soldiers killed. Unsat.
Old 03-17-2010, 11:52 PM   #13
awoit will become famous soon enough

awoit's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to awoit
Thumbs up

I support everything this guy has to say
Old 03-17-2010, 11:52 PM   #14
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
I've thought he was awesome ever since I first saw him explode a watermelon on Mail Call. This just ups the awesomeness. lol
Old 03-18-2010, 06:35 AM   #15
Trigger has much to be proud ofTrigger has much to be proud ofTrigger has much to be proud ofTrigger has much to be proud ofTrigger has much to be proud ofTrigger has much to be proud ofTrigger has much to be proud ofTrigger has much to be proud of
Trigger's Tacoma Gallery
I love this guy!
Old 03-18-2010, 06:47 AM   #16
Awesome Member
tacomakid89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid89 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: William
tacomakid89's Tacoma Gallery
That guy is the man. I once got to meet him and talk to him at a dinner out in Cuba. It was for the Marine Corps Ball. He's pretty much a bad ass.