Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Military

Notices

Question for Army Folks

Old 03-22-2010, 02:49 PM   #21
I love your mom!
Slimwood Shady is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimwood Shady is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimwood Shady is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimwood Shady is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimwood Shady is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimwood Shady is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimwood Shady is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimwood Shady is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimwood Shady is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimwood Shady is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimwood Shady is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Sergeant First Class
Name: Linwood
Slimwood Shady's Tacoma Gallery
Never talk bad about "America's Army" bro, bad things usually happen, especially around Fayettnam!
Old 03-22-2010, 02:49 PM   #22
Sticks For Troops
AFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: (T2T2X1)Air Transportation Technical Training Instructor
Name: "Butters"
AFButters's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by linwoodm View Post

I am trying to avoid that.. I am just going mostly off of the hour or so conversation i had with the Ranking Army Troops last week, that basicly said "they only come out for these training jumps to get there couple hundred bucks a month in there pay checks... other than the money there is no reason to jump anymore.."
Old 03-22-2010, 02:51 PM   #24
If I had a hammer...
XSB41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedXSB41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedXSB41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedXSB41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedXSB41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedXSB41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedXSB41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedXSB41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedXSB41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedXSB41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedXSB41 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 1/327th 101st ABN
Name: Rik
XSB41's Tacoma Gallery
Burnt Tiger, good to see another TF on board! Got out the 2nd time 'round in '85...101st still have a jumping Pathfinder company?
Old 03-22-2010, 02:53 PM   #25
Sticks For Troops
AFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shed

I would never talk bad or down about anyone in the service I respect the hell outa everyone that serves ( and actually serves)... I am just trying to get more insight on cost effectiveness.. as I am sick of hearing about how the military flushes money faster that Toiletpaper... It was just one thing I thought could help left some of the cost.

one of my Sgts was stationed in Japan.. and apparently we pay them some god awful amount Monthly to use the land for our base.. something like $1500 a sq ft a day
Old 03-22-2010, 02:53 PM   #26
Sticks For Troops

Quote:
Originally Posted by linwoodm View Post
Wow, did that CSM/SGM have their wings?

CSM was working as the DACO and the Major was a Jumpmaster
Old 03-22-2010, 02:54 PM   #27
If I had a hammer...
XSB41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedXSB41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedXSB41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedXSB41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedXSB41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedXSB41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedXSB41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedXSB41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedXSB41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedXSB41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedXSB41 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

XSB41's Tacoma Gallery
Ranger unit jumped into Granada also...
Old 03-22-2010, 02:55 PM   #28
rme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Helicopter pilot still serving
rme's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 09AFTacoma View Post
I just think that 10-15 Thousand people being jump qualified is a little over kill at one base... its just alot of money that could go to build better houses and schools on the base.. the schools here look like prisons
Point well taken. But you have to understand with a 10K jump of personnel you will be lucky to get 9K who are uninjured. The best method of delivery is via helicopter so you don't have these kinds of casualties and remember all the support (tooth to tail) you need to keep things happening. Chow is a big morale booster and if a soldier has a pay problem then his chain of command has a problem.

Airborne operations are a "HIGH RISK" venture and should only be used after doing the cost benefit ratio with a risk management sheet completed. If you think about it why do we need so many ground pounders at the levels we have....its because in a good slug fest your probably going to lose half your force or more in the initial assault. If chemicals are used you will lose waaaaay more than that. Why they had the 0-6 lead a bunch of guys into an airborne jump into Northern Iraq is beyond me...I have my ideas as I'm sure you do too.
Old 03-22-2010, 03:03 PM   #29
Sticks For Troops

Quote:
Originally Posted by XSB41 View Post
Ranger unit jumped into Granada also...

Now Rangers I can def understand them being Jump Qual. I guess i look at it this way. my cousin had to go to jump school and he works Finance.. Idk why he is.. and apparently he said they told him to do it and he gets the extra money.. other than that.. its whatever
Old 03-22-2010, 03:07 PM   #30
Caduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: I be a doctor
Caduceus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by burnt_tiger View Post
-The 173rd jumped into Iraq at the start of the war.

-A standby airborne brigade can be boots on the ground in 24 hours anywhere in the world. Kinda handy if you have a situation that needs to be handled ASAP. And a brigade needs its cooks, intel guys, ect, ect, to function over extended periods

-also airborne school weeds some of the sh*tbags. 3 more weeks of voluntary training that requires a little extra proficiency/guts

-its also a retention/enlistment tool. If you offer a guy airborne school and he signs for 4 more years, you've actually saved quite a bit of money
Don't forget, it makes you more deployable!

There was also one big jump in Vietnam (173 also?)
Old 03-22-2010, 03:07 PM   #31
Sticks For Troops

The injury factor is crazy too.. think of all the guys who have gotten hurt jumping and now collect a check for the military bc of it
Old 03-22-2010, 03:09 PM   #32
Sticks For Troops

I remember The CSM i talked to said he was deployed to Panama and they ( i would assume his unit) didnt jump.. one of my TSGTs here has been in 18 years and said the last time he remembers the 82 deploying and jumping was back in Granada.. err whatver
Old 03-22-2010, 03:10 PM   #33
If I had a hammer...

XSB41's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFGator View Post
That SGM and Captain need to get their shit together, I mean facts straight.

Rangers jumped into Grenada early 80's
82nd and I believe the the Rangers Jumped into Panama 89
173rd Jumped into Iraq, 2nd Gulf War
Special Ops goes without saying.

There are numerous tactical situations were jumping or Air Assulting onto the OBJ are the only options. Not to mentioned the combat soldier spirit (Warrior) and pride created within the soldier. Not saying that you cannot be the best at what you do and be a leg at the same time. If you want to save a few $$$ on training a soldier issue them a laptop with the latest "I'm a bad ass virtual killing machine" game on it. Hell include a bayonet adapter on that laptop so you can virtually charge a hill with it. This is Fobbit and REMF forum stuff.
*THANK YOU> well said...
Old 03-22-2010, 03:13 PM   #34
rme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shed

rme's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
The injury factor is crazy too.. think of all the guys who have gotten hurt jumping and now collect a check for the military bc of it
Again you have to remember the flexibility it adds to combat operations. Trust me...I've been to enough briefings to know that fidel castro and the asshole in Iran go to sleep at night with one eye open hoping the USMC doesn't land on his beach or the army rangers followed by divisional forces don't drop in for a drink or dinner. Alot of these guys are held in check by these thoughts. By the way the Ruskies also have airborne units....that should tell you something....
Old 03-22-2010, 03:16 PM   #35

rme's Tacoma Gallery
By the way someone forgot to mention Rangers jumpted into Afghanistan as well and were going door to door waking up people in their bedrooms asking them (in a polite way I'm sure) if they had seen some people they had pics of. How would you like to be awakened by someone who sneaked into your house and was armed and waking you up out of your sleep while you were next to the wife and wishing you a good day.....I think I would be a little unnerved.....just a little bit ....
Old 03-22-2010, 03:16 PM   #36
Sticks For Troops

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFGator View Post
Sounds like you are just trying to instigate things, OK success. Think about how many guys in the Air Force are going to collect disability for carpel tunnel syndrome. I guess we should take away your computers and joysticks.

I promise Im not. I could go on and on about all the dumb shit the Air Force does that isnt needed.. I just wanted to get the views from some people on here.. I was curious if you why you guys would say it is needed.. and you all have agree it is for Mission related reason.. If you want to blame anyone its the Army guys Im around everyday that when we get the loaded on the plane.. all they care about it that the mission they are on doesnt get Canx because they will lose there jump pay.
Old 03-22-2010, 03:20 PM   #37
Sticks For Troops

I do know from being here that 5 days a week we take boxes full of sand put them on planes with parachutes and the planes come back request them to be downloaded and then make up all kinds of bullshit esquie reasons for why they couldnt throw his shit out of the plane.. wasting our time and energy... I guess i just notice some of the Army stuff more because around here.. its 99% army 1% AF.. soon my Squadron will be like 1 of 4 AF groups on the base
Old 03-22-2010, 03:27 PM   #38
Sticks For Troops

Gator, I believe you.. and I promise Im not arguing with you.. All I know about any of this stuff is what the troops tell me when I walk them on Green Ramp or Load there gear on the planes.

As for the TACP and CC, those guys are nuts (in a good way)...

Im sorry.. I should have done more research (used the search feature).. and i did but its hard to get the answers im looking for from work.. half the sites are blocked.. the other half is people arguing .. kinda like in here.. but I wasnt looking for an arguement I was looking to be educated.

I have the best job in the Air Force, Air Transportation, I get to work with all the branches and provide support in all aspects, from loading there gear, to making sure there rations and ammo get loaded on the right plane to get them down range. I got to spend 6 mos in Balad with some Army folks and had a blast.

I was supposed to Go to Afghanastain but got tasked to go to Germany, but when my PCS got canx my spot to Afghanastain got filled.. and I got moved to a tasking in Iraq and then my slot got bought out by the AF reserves .. so now im stuck in Fayetteville... .. I was hoping to make some Modding Money
Old 03-22-2010, 03:33 PM   #39
packetshooter is on a distinguished road
Army: Airborne!
packetshooter's Tacoma Gallery
Dude, there have been numerous jumps since Vietnam. Think Panama.

That SGM and Captain sounds like they're 5 jump chumps

Airborne!

Quote:
What is the reason for Army personal to be jump qualified?

I spoke with a SGM and a Captain the other day and they said the Army hasnt jumped in a real world situation since Vietnam (Other than some minor Spec Ops type stuff)..

Which leads me to wonder, what is the point other than to pay several Thousand Troops a couple hundred bucks a month to risk gettin hurt. (Had a guy shatter his pelvis last week)