Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Military

Notices

Question for Army Folks

Old 03-24-2010, 03:13 PM   #43
distinguished bongo truck art critic
Mxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Military Police Platoon Leader
Name: Chase
Mxpatriot's Tacoma Gallery
Keeps the world in check knowing we can park a division on their front lawn in 24 hours.

Eliminates that whole "It'll take the Americans two weeks to sail over here and another week to get inland to our capital" thing.
Old 03-24-2010, 04:13 PM   #44
Finally made it - U.S. Army Retired
cakmakli is one of the sharper tools in the shedcakmakli is one of the sharper tools in the shedcakmakli is one of the sharper tools in the shedcakmakli is one of the sharper tools in the shedcakmakli is one of the sharper tools in the shedcakmakli is one of the sharper tools in the shedcakmakli is one of the sharper tools in the shedcakmakli is one of the sharper tools in the shedcakmakli is one of the sharper tools in the shedcakmakli is one of the sharper tools in the shedcakmakli is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Military Police
cakmakli's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mxpatriot View Post
Keeps the world in check knowing we can park a division on their front lawn in 24 hours.

Eliminates that whole "It'll take the Americans two weeks to sail over here and another week to get inland to our capital" thing.
I like the way you put that.
Old 03-24-2010, 04:26 PM   #45
10.21 is a glorious beacon of light10.21 is a glorious beacon of light10.21 is a glorious beacon of light10.21 is a glorious beacon of light10.21 is a glorious beacon of light10.21 is a glorious beacon of light
Marines:
Name: Dillon
10.21's Tacoma Gallery
I wonder how many Marine read through this and just bite their lip and move on...
Old 03-24-2010, 04:38 PM   #46
qballenko is a splendid one to beholdqballenko is a splendid one to beholdqballenko is a splendid one to beholdqballenko is a splendid one to beholdqballenko is a splendid one to beholdqballenko is a splendid one to beholdqballenko is a splendid one to behold
Army: SSG
qballenko's Tacoma Gallery
I understand where the op is coming from but it can be said about ALL forces and most special pays.

I got FLPP pay for a language I have never and will never use. Its military tradition.

I would never consider jump pay to be in one of those irrevelant ones.
Old 03-24-2010, 08:16 PM   #47
Sticks For Troops
AFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: (2T2X1)Air Force Rigger
Name: "Butters"
AFButters's Tacoma Gallery
I got a friend from highschool.. that just got back from Iraq, he is here at Ft Bragg.. and I saw him this week he was coming out to renew his Jump qual.. and I wanted to mess with him so i told him that we need to bump a few guys off of his flight and I can pick him if he wants to go home and he wont have to worry about jumpin he can just go home and chill..and he said.. Fuck that if I dont jump today I lose my jump pay and then i cant go to the bar this weekend..

That is why i question the reason for jump pay. plain and simple
Old 03-25-2010, 01:10 PM   #48
If I had a hammer...
XSB41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedXSB41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedXSB41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedXSB41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedXSB41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedXSB41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedXSB41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedXSB41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedXSB41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedXSB41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedXSB41 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 1/327th 101st ABN
Name: Rik
XSB41's Tacoma Gallery
If it were up to me, ALL soldiers would be making more than they're making now, ESPECIALLY combat arms...as a former grunt, of course I'm partial toward those that are taking lead up close...what soldiers do w/ their meager dollars is up to them; I'm sure they're counseled to some degree by their superiors as where to go/not go, send $ home, etc...been a common practice for many years...I'd rather see a troopers' pay tripled, and slash the trash Washington pays out for folks that suck us dry staying at home collecting $ watching soaps and having a bay-bay hanging off each teat and another one in the oven...tell your friend thanks, he deserves every penny, but him breakfast/lunch and dinner...NOW!
Old 03-25-2010, 01:26 PM   #49
"Mark It Zero"
Agent475 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent475 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent475 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent475 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent475 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent475 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent475 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent475 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent475 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent475 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent475 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: Sergeant, 0261
Agent475's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 09AFTacoma View Post
I just think that 10-15 Thousand people being jump qualified is a little over kill at one base... its just alot of money that could go to build better houses and schools on the base.. the schools here look like prisons

Ever been on a Marine base? J Army house is pretty dope compared to 3+ per room sharing the head with the 3+ Leathernecks next door.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlancoTaco08 View Post
You can make this case for A LOT of situations in the military...
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlancoTaco08 View Post

-Why do we need for O-6's and above to get more flight hours???
-Why do we have so many F-15's...Last time I checked "dog fights" weren't happening everyday...yes I know they do serve for other functions too
Agreed… Why do O-6’s need more flight hours? (so they remain qualified and get the extra $$)

Why do we need extra F-15’s?
Two things come to mind for me:
1) So the O-6’s can get flight hours... (*tongue in cheek*)
2) because there are larger forces out there that still pose a viable threat.
Old 03-26-2010, 04:32 AM   #50
packetshooter is on a distinguished road
Army: Airborne!
packetshooter's Tacoma Gallery
My barracks back at Bragg suxor'd. Probably rebuilt by now but back in late 80's and early 90's they were nothing to write home about and 3 per room.

Now if you're talking Air Force digs, those were nice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent475 View Post

Ever been on a Marine base? J Army house is pretty dope compared to 3+ per room sharing the head with the 3+ Leathernecks next door.
Old 03-26-2010, 04:45 AM   #51
rsincavage85 is a glorious beacon of lightrsincavage85 is a glorious beacon of lightrsincavage85 is a glorious beacon of lightrsincavage85 is a glorious beacon of lightrsincavage85 is a glorious beacon of lightrsincavage85 is a glorious beacon of light

Army: Radar Platoon SGT
Name: Rick
rsincavage85's Tacoma Gallery
Here is 2 cents of info. I think I could be wrong but in the last t 2-3 years I think a company did a combat jump in Iraq. I know they are doing Air Assault training missions with the Iraqis. Personally, I rather be shooting my Howitzer, either self propelled or towed doesn't matter.
Old 03-26-2010, 04:54 AM   #52
Resident Gun-toting Hippie
luni is one of the sharper tools in the shedluni is one of the sharper tools in the shedluni is one of the sharper tools in the shedluni is one of the sharper tools in the shedluni is one of the sharper tools in the shedluni is one of the sharper tools in the shedluni is one of the sharper tools in the shedluni is one of the sharper tools in the shedluni is one of the sharper tools in the shedluni is one of the sharper tools in the shedluni is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Combat Medic
Name: Burt's Mustache
luni's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by packetshooter View Post
My barracks back at Bragg suxor'd. Probably rebuilt by now but back in late 80's and early 90's they were nothing to write home about and 3 per room.
I've spent the last year and change watching them get torn down and rebuilt. The news ones look pretty damn nice.

As far as jump injuries go, you'd be surprised. It's a pretty low percentage compared to the sick call patient load. I would know.

Your argument actually sounds like some of the justification for converting 101st to an air assault unit. Why does the Army need 82nd, 173rd, and 101st? Especially with 82 and 101 a few hours drive apart. 173rd covers down on that side of the planet, 82nd holds it down over here. Meanwhile, in peace time the United States retains the ability to drop a fully trained, armed, and combat ready BCT anywhere in the world within 24 hours with the rest of the division shortly behind. The global response force mission doesn't apply to the entire division. But they can sure as shit get their bags packed in a hurry.

Think about the folks you're talking to over at green ramp. None of them have combat jumps, they've been sitting in a harness for hours, and they haven't been given an operational jump mission to prepare for. What the hell else is their motivation if not jump pay in that situation? They're going to jump out an airplane whenever their told out of the goodness of their hearts? Now roll across post and ask those guys why they jump. Chances are the answer will be something like "Sometimes you can't kick in the front door and you have to come down the chimney." Either they really like Santa or the real world advantages of different infiltration techniques weighs heavier on their mind than $150/mo.
Old 03-26-2010, 04:58 AM   #53
rme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Helicopter pilot still serving
rme's Tacoma Gallery
Kudo's to you lexor for telling us how it really is. I've been the army military for 33 years and as far as jumping from a perfectly good airplane....well let's say I go with what I heard an old jump master once say..."I've jumped once -- and got thrown out the other 44 times!"
Old 03-26-2010, 05:04 AM   #54
ROOTIN AROUND
08TRD Sport has much to be proud of08TRD Sport has much to be proud of08TRD Sport has much to be proud of08TRD Sport has much to be proud of08TRD Sport has much to be proud of08TRD Sport has much to be proud of08TRD Sport has much to be proud of08TRD Sport has much to be proud of08TRD Sport has much to be proud of

Army: BNCOC SGL
Name: Joshua
08TRD Sport's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by burnt_tiger View Post
"On March 26, 2003, 954 soldiers of the 173rd Airborne Brigade, commanded by Colonel William C. Mayville, conducted a combat jump from C-130[62] and C-17 aircraft[57] onto Bashur Airfield in Northern Iraq,[1][63] in an assault known as Operation Northern Delay."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/173rd_A..._Iraqi_Freedom

That drop into northern Iraq allowed us to attack on 2 fronts.

-jump pay is basically hazard pay. The more risk, the more pay.

But what they dont mention is that it was a secured DZ. Already

The Army is now conducting jumps with the Iraqi Army to help be able to jump inot places if they need be. It helps them feel united and also a part of a team working with the US forces.
Old 03-26-2010, 05:05 AM   #55
Resident Gun-toting Hippie
luni is one of the sharper tools in the shedluni is one of the sharper tools in the shedluni is one of the sharper tools in the shedluni is one of the sharper tools in the shedluni is one of the sharper tools in the shedluni is one of the sharper tools in the shedluni is one of the sharper tools in the shedluni is one of the sharper tools in the shedluni is one of the sharper tools in the shedluni is one of the sharper tools in the shedluni is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Combat Medic
Name: Burt's Mustache
luni's Tacoma Gallery
And it keeps them from having to do airborne refresher training across the entire brigade when they get back
Old 04-01-2010, 09:08 AM   #56
OlyTacoma173 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOlyTacoma173 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOlyTacoma173 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOlyTacoma173 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOlyTacoma173 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOlyTacoma173 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOlyTacoma173 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOlyTacoma173 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOlyTacoma173 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOlyTacoma173 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOlyTacoma173 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Infantry Platoon Leader, XO, AS3, 2d BN 503d INF (ABN) 173d ABCT, Army Aviator
OlyTacoma173's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 08TRD Sport View Post
But what they dont mention is that it was a secured DZ. Already ...
And? What's your point? Those guys left their homes and families behind, loaded onto C17s, jumped into the unknown in the black of night with over 100 lbs of gear strapped to them and spent the next 12 months deployed in a combat zone.
$150 a month is a small price to pay for soldiers with the expertise and willingness to do this job.
Old 04-23-2010, 01:46 AM   #57
Sapper26 is on a distinguished road

Army: Combat Engineer...Essayons!!
Name: Will
Sapper26's Tacoma Gallery
A couple guys already mentioned that the 173rd jumped into northern Iraq at the beginning of the war. But besides that, I believe there have been a couple times when Battalion sized elements have made combat jumps in Afghanistan. The idea of the military giving up the ability to put troops anywhere in the world in an extremely short period of time sounds like a really bad idea. It would be the same as grounding all the F-15s just because there isn't an immediate threat of an air combat situation.
Old 04-23-2010, 04:47 AM   #58
rme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shed

rme's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapper26 View Post
a couple guys already mentioned that the 173rd jumped into northern iraq at the beginning of the war. But besides that, i believe there have been a couple times when battalion sized elements have made combat jumps in afghanistan. The idea of the military giving up the ability to put troops anywhere in the world in an extremely short period of time sounds like a really bad idea. It would be the same as grounding all the f-15s just because there isn't an immediate threat of an air combat situation.

well said!
Old 04-23-2010, 05:08 AM   #59
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10.21 View Post
I wonder how many Marine read through this and just bite their lip and move on...

I think I drew blood............

Every Marine is a rifleman.
Old 04-23-2010, 06:38 AM   #60

rme's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 98tacoma27 View Post
I think I drew blood............

Every Marine is a rifleman.
Having been a Marine in my past life....(LOL) I don't think it really bothers them. As an Army guy when I first came in I always thought the Marines should all be airborne qualified as they are the shock troops. I haven't seen them deployed to many times in the way and mission in which they have been trained (shock troops). But the army has its traditions and sometimes I think it change is a bridge to far...plus the money the army would lose...