Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Military

Notices

WTF is going on with the ARMY??!

Old 03-26-2010, 07:19 AM   #41
I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.
mws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
mws4ua's Tacoma Gallery
Am I reading the same article? To me it looked like they were saying that recruits coming in today are softer and less disciplined, so they have to focus on physical training and discipline more than they used to. It doesn't sound like they're saying "we're going to soften our training to accomodate."

And they're saying that people with gaming experience have usable experience with technology... not that they know how to fight/win a war. You put an 18-yr-old gamer in front of a piece of military technology, I bet you $100 he picks up on it a hell of a lot faster than some 18-yr-old hillbilly from W. Virginia who may be fit, but who hasn't dealt with computers in his life.
Old 03-26-2010, 07:19 AM   #42
Mind = Blown
Loudpedal is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoudpedal is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoudpedal is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoudpedal is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoudpedal is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoudpedal is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoudpedal is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoudpedal is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoudpedal is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoudpedal is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoudpedal is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: EOD
Name: Blair
Loudpedal's Tacoma Gallery
When I was in, if we saw a chubby soldier or one with disheveled uniform we said, "Well he must be Guard (or Reserve)" just kidding around, but these two guys are way beyond what the NG or Reserves would tolerate.

Don't get me wrong, I respect the Guard and Reserves a lot. Hell they're half the force.
Old 03-26-2010, 07:22 AM   #43
I've got so much soul in me that I'm barely alive.
Zombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AMMO (2W0)
Name: Kevin
Zombie Runner's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caduceus View Post

God help us if today's soldiers are smarter. I deal with idiots all day long (from all branches).
so true. I had to deal with the Indian Air Force for a few months. and OMG they were so dumb and had no sense of safety what so ever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by luni View Post
Right, and where did I say video games would replace real world training? Video games would be an excellent training tool for walk throughs and sand table exercises. With the right software you could mock up the operational environment down to individual buildings and rooms, highlight fundamental areas to focus on, and change mission parameters and complications with the click of a button. It would be an excellent tool for getting through the crawl phase of ANY task you needed to apply it too. Then after running through multiple scenarios in the crawl phase your soldiers are better prepared for a number of contingencies when they get into a real world walk-phase scenario, which gets you operational in less time with better training.

The Army has basically been playing Arcade Time Crisis for years with every weapon system being integrated. It develops muscle memory. If you could do something similar from a few desktops and then throw on your gear and go outside and run it that would give a serious training advantage at the team/squad level.
If they were able to use the new Xbox motion system "Natal" I think that would be alot better than regular controllers. with this system they could actually learn the muscule memory type of stuff. It's a pretty wild system. Kinda like the Wii but with no controller, it detects your movements.
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&s...l=&oq=&gs_rfai=
Old 03-26-2010, 07:22 AM   #44
Mind = Blown
Loudpedal is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoudpedal is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoudpedal is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoudpedal is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoudpedal is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoudpedal is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoudpedal is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoudpedal is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoudpedal is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoudpedal is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoudpedal is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by mws4ua View Post
Am I reading the same article? To me it looked like they were saying that recruits coming in today are softer and less disciplined, so they have to focus on physical training and discipline more than they used to. It doesn't sound like they're saying "we're going to soften our training to accomodate."

And they're saying that people with gaming experience have usable experience with technology... not that they know how to fight/win a war. You put an 18-yr-old gamer in front of a piece of military technology, I bet you $100 he picks up on it a hell of a lot faster than some 18-yr-old hillbilly from W. Virginia who may be fit, but who hasn't dealt with computers in his life.
you are correct: "Hertling says the new basic training regimen will focus more on teaching recruits essential combat skills, from the use of "weapons, knives, bayonets, [and] sticks" to hand-to-hand techniques like punching, kicking, and martial arts. His aim is to better prepare them for the potentially grueling physical experience of serving in unfriendly environments."

Thread just went off course to fatties in uniform.
Old 03-26-2010, 07:24 AM   #45
rmd0311 has much to be proud ofrmd0311 has much to be proud ofrmd0311 has much to be proud ofrmd0311 has much to be proud ofrmd0311 has much to be proud ofrmd0311 has much to be proud ofrmd0311 has much to be proud ofrmd0311 has much to be proud ofrmd0311 has much to be proud of

rmd0311's Tacoma Gallery
I have done Active Duty and Reservist... I can tell you its two very different beasts. I can totally see all of those fatty's being reservist. I did 4 years active and none of those fatties would have made it past the 1st week of basic (albeit that was 13 years ago). I then did another 4 years as a reservist and I will tell you this. It was a JOKE. At least the unit I was in. I could not believe it, but such is the disparity between active duty and reservist.
Old 03-26-2010, 07:25 AM   #46
TheOtherGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheOtherGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheOtherGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheOtherGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheOtherGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheOtherGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheOtherGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheOtherGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheOtherGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheOtherGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheOtherGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army: 63B
TheOtherGuy's Tacoma Gallery
I personally think the changes to basic training were necessary. The bayonet training is out dated and essentially useless. They are now focusing more on core fitness and hand to hand combatives; whats wrong with that?

They haven't lowered the PT standards they are just making their training more effective for today's wars.

I agree that American kids are a bunch of pansies. Elementary school kids can't get in a little fight after school with out the threat of being arrested and going to juvie. What happened to boys being boys?
Old 03-26-2010, 07:27 AM   #47
TheOtherGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheOtherGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheOtherGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheOtherGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheOtherGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheOtherGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheOtherGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheOtherGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheOtherGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheOtherGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheOtherGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army: 63B
TheOtherGuy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mws4ua View Post
I agree
Old 03-26-2010, 07:30 AM   #48
Mind = Blown

American kids have been turning to pansies for a while. Even Daniel Larusso had to toughen up to beat the Cobra Kai.
Old 03-26-2010, 07:46 AM   #49
Local Man
bigburrito is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigburrito is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigburrito is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigburrito is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigburrito is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigburrito is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigburrito is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigburrito is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigburrito is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigburrito is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigburrito is one of the sharper tools in the shed

bigburrito's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loudpedal View Post
American kids have been turning to pansies for a while. Even Daniel Larusso had to toughen up to beat the Cobra Kai.

New Karate Kid movie is coming out soon! Starring Jackie Chan of course! Hi Yah!
Old 03-26-2010, 07:47 AM   #50
I've got so much soul in me that I'm barely alive.
Zombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AMMO (2W0)
Name: Kevin
Zombie Runner's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mxboy57 View Post
I personally think the changes to basic training were necessary. The bayonet training is out dated and essentially useless. They are now focusing more on core fitness and hand to hand combatives; whats wrong with that?

They haven't lowered the PT standards they are just making their training more effective for today's wars.

I agree that American kids are a bunch of pansies. Elementary school kids can't get in a little fight after school with out the threat of being arrested and going to juvie. What happened to boys being boys?
I do agree they needed to update basic training as well.
when was the last time someone used a bayonet?!

changes to army basic training:
http://usmilitary.about.com/od/armyj...basic.-u5p.htm
Old 03-26-2010, 08:04 AM   #51
erion109 has a brilliant futureerion109 has a brilliant futureerion109 has a brilliant futureerion109 has a brilliant futureerion109 has a brilliant futureerion109 has a brilliant futureerion109 has a brilliant futureerion109 has a brilliant futureerion109 has a brilliant futureerion109 has a brilliant futureerion109 has a brilliant future

Army: 1/145 AVN REG
Name: Jayson
erion109's Tacoma Gallery
I agree with Luni. I don't see that altering Basic to meet the current trends of the Army to be a bad thing, but for God's sake; don't reduce the physical requirements. There are a LOT of people in reserve units that couldn't pass the run on a PT test in one of our badass trucks! Fix this! Get your ass into shape where you can successfully run 2 miles at an approved pace and make sure you can push the ground, and sit up off the ground. They have changed a lot of the programs now. Officer's no longer go to BOLC II (infantry training). They go straight to BOLC III (branch training). I guess they assume if you want to be an infantry officer, thats what you'll be trained to do. I personally think everyone should have to go through Ranger school. If shit really hits the fan, you need to know what the hell to do without a mess truck following you around or the GPS mounted on your dash. HOOAH!
Old 03-26-2010, 08:27 AM   #52
Resident Gun-toting Hippie
luni is one of the sharper tools in the shedluni is one of the sharper tools in the shedluni is one of the sharper tools in the shedluni is one of the sharper tools in the shedluni is one of the sharper tools in the shedluni is one of the sharper tools in the shedluni is one of the sharper tools in the shedluni is one of the sharper tools in the shedluni is one of the sharper tools in the shedluni is one of the sharper tools in the shedluni is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Combat Medic
Name: Burt's Mustache
luni's Tacoma Gallery
Hey! Don't knock bayonet training!

And for those of you who never had an xbox

Quote:
In 2000, the US Army Science & Technology community was curious to learn if commercial gaming platforms could be leveraged for training. Recognizing that a high percentage of incoming recruits had grown up using entertainment software products, there was interest in determining whether software game techniques and technology could complement and enhance established training methods.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Full_Spectrum_Warrior

You can even unlock the "Army trainer" version.

In case you missed the date on that it was 10 YEARS AGO!
Old 03-26-2010, 08:32 AM   #53
taco?
MotoXdoer is one of the sharper tools in the shedMotoXdoer is one of the sharper tools in the shedMotoXdoer is one of the sharper tools in the shedMotoXdoer is one of the sharper tools in the shedMotoXdoer is one of the sharper tools in the shedMotoXdoer is one of the sharper tools in the shedMotoXdoer is one of the sharper tools in the shedMotoXdoer is one of the sharper tools in the shedMotoXdoer is one of the sharper tools in the shedMotoXdoer is one of the sharper tools in the shedMotoXdoer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: emt/cal fire
Name: Nate
MotoXdoer's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by AvsFanTRD View Post
So the ability to play a video game means they are going to be better at fighting a war?
haha mw 2 should help. how can they relate real combat to A VIDEO GAME???? its still not the same.
Old 03-26-2010, 08:52 AM   #54
Mind = Blown

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoXdoer View Post
haha mw 2 should help. how can they relate real combat to A VIDEO GAME???? its still not the same.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfpack_5150 View Post
X2, what happend to MILES gear?
You guys are missing it...It's a step in the training process. Not a replacement for getting your boots dirty. Army training goes in baby steps with LOTS of repetition. Helps make things second nature. In trying to train people with unknown backgrounds, they're hedging the bet that the majority of recruits have gaming experience. Start with the video game...then go outside and do it again...then add all your gear and do it again...then add blanks and grenade simulators and do it again...then live fire.
Old 03-26-2010, 09:02 AM   #55
burnt_tiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedburnt_tiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedburnt_tiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedburnt_tiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedburnt_tiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedburnt_tiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedburnt_tiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedburnt_tiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedburnt_tiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedburnt_tiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedburnt_tiger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Retired
burnt_tiger's Tacoma Gallery
You can't afford to shoot live rounds all day. Unless the taxpayers want to buy me all the ammo , frags ect ,I want, the firearms training simulator is the next best training tool.
Old 03-26-2010, 09:05 AM   #56
Khaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bryant
Khaos's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BakoTruck View Post
Take a road trip to some of the city's here in California. A lot of gay Emo kids running around, wearing tight jeans, and gay hair cuts.

I wear tight jeans and I know I can kick a lot more ass than the average person...
Old 03-26-2010, 09:08 AM   #57
Mind = Blown

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfpack_5150 View Post
I missed the gaming sessions, no I dont claim service time....I went through (completed) basic in 99, ended up seperating (uncharacterized) so I could finally get unbiased real medical attention. In basic, sadly I got thrown in the pile with all the fakers despite having a legit tibial fracture and multiple secondary problems caused by the overcompensation of my good leg. Those 5% in life screw it up for the rest of us.

I think getting out in the field was the best part, I hated being cooped inside...U were always so exhausted that u nodded off during any kind of indoor sit down stuff..

then u got to join the others in the corner holding their chairs above their heads and duck walking with them
Duck walk, lol. those were the days. I went in 95 and they didn't have teh new type of video games then for sure. but we did have weapon simulators. About on par with Pong as far as graphics. But they did get recruits who have never even hald a gun before more comfortable with the weapons before they were given bullets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnt_tiger View Post
You can't afford to shoot live rounds all day. Unless the taxpayers want to buy me all the ammo , frags ect ,I want, the firearms training simulator is the next best training tool.
Old 03-26-2010, 09:26 AM   #58
I love your mom!
Slimwood Shady is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimwood Shady is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimwood Shady is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimwood Shady is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimwood Shady is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimwood Shady is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimwood Shady is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimwood Shady is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimwood Shady is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimwood Shady is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimwood Shady is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Sergeant First Class
Name: Linwood
Slimwood Shady's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by loudpedal View Post
duck walk, lol. Those were the days. I went in 95 and they didn't have teh new type of video games then for sure. But we did have weapon simulators. About on par with pong as far as graphics. But they did get recruits who have never even hald a gun before more comfortable with the weapons before they were given bullets.
the weaponear!!!
Old 03-26-2010, 09:32 AM   #59
Mind = Blown

Quote:
Originally Posted by linwoodm View Post
the weaponear!!!
That's it! I was scratching my head trying to remember that.
Old 03-26-2010, 09:38 AM   #60
Triumph843 is on a distinguished road
Name: John
Triumph843's Tacoma Gallery
enlistment bonus biased off modern warfare 2 stats! lol